The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 December 2012, 08:53 PM   #1
datejuste
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16000 and 17000
Oysterquartz accuracy

Hi everyone,

As a satisfied customer of the brand since 1986, when I was given a DJ 16000 which has been worn daily since then with absolutely no issues, I recently decided to buy an Oysterquartz 17000 because I liked the retro style and the idea of having a Rolex which was a bit different.
In the 2 weeks since I received the watch I have noticed that it is losing 1 second per day. This is very linear, there is no erratic +/- going on. According to the seller the battery was changed 18 months ago.
I love the watch anyway, and it is not really an issue if I have to alter the time every couple of months when I change the date, but if there is a way to get it to perform better I would like to do this. Equally, if this is normal for a 1980 OQ then I will shut up and enjoy the click-click-click every second.................

Any advice welcome.
datejuste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
You may just need a service or simple regulation. Love the look of that watch, congrats on a nice pickup!
Old 26 December 2012, 09:28 PM   #3
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
half a min a month wouldnt stress me , or a min at the worst when you have to do a date change ,,,, nice watches though . very gg actually i think they are very modern looking. still.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

I think that Rolex used a thermocompensated quartz for their movements. One second a day loss sounds a bit too much.

"The next thermocompensation method in the single crystal category is the forced constant frequency method. This method uses a Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillator (VCXO). This is a special crystal package that is designed so that its frequency can be adjusted over a small range by varying an input voltage. (Note that the crystal itself is still a tuning fork.) The designers then create an analog compensation circuit for which the output voltage varies with temperature in an 'equal but opposite' way. When the output of the compensation circuit is coupled to the input of the VCXO, the frequency of the quartz oscillator is forced to be constant over a wide temperature range. This overall circuit is called a Temperature Compensated Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillator (TCVCXO). Because this method achieves thermocompensation via purely analog techniques, it was realizable in the pre-digital era. The Rolex 5035 and its variants used in the Oysterquartz are the pre-eminent (and possibly only) examples of movements that use this method. While elegant, this method has some disadvantages. First, the temperature variation of the compensation circuit and the crystal must be precisely matched. Mismatch of only a few percent will lead to errors on the order of seconds per year. Such precise matching is difficult for an analog circuit. Second, adjusting the trimmer condenser changes the temperature curve of the oscillator, again compromising the match between it and the compensation circuit. Finally, because their frequency is adjustable, VCXOs are more prone to low level noise. Still, these watches are very appealing for their unique approach"
Old 26 December 2012, 11:42 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejuste View Post
Hi everyone,

As a satisfied customer of the brand since 1986, when I was given a DJ 16000 which has been worn daily since then with absolutely no issues, I recently decided to buy an Oysterquartz 17000 because I liked the retro style and the idea of having a Rolex which was a bit different.
In the 2 weeks since I received the watch I have noticed that it is losing 1 second per day. This is very linear, there is no erratic +/- going on. According to the seller the battery was changed 18 months ago.
I love the watch anyway, and it is not really an issue if I have to alter the time every couple of months when I change the date, but if there is a way to get it to perform better I would like to do this. Equally, if this is normal for a 1980 OQ then I will shut up and enjoy the click-click-click every second.................

Any advice welcome.
There is nothing published by Rolex on the accuracy of the OQ only loss or gain around 60 seconds a year.So its possible its the battery or it wants a tiny bit of regulation it needs to have the trim screw adjusted that's the only way to get timing back on track.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 27 December 2012 at 02:28 AM..
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 12:50 AM   #6
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Excellent explanation on the quartz crystal. Thank you for posting it.
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 01:54 AM   #7
datejuste
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16000 and 17000
Thanks for the help and suggestions posted so far. I think I will wait and, if it gets worse, I will change the battery. If that fails, service and regulation. Losing a steady 1 second per day is not ruining my OQ experience. I have already had the inevitable "It can't be a Rolex, the second hand doesn't sweep" from a couple of armchair experts! It makes me chuckle.
datejuste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 01:59 AM   #8
Cleveland

battery change needed. rolex wouldn't regulate, it would either be a battery, service or something else is going wrong inside the watch.
Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 02:25 AM   #9
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
First try a battery change. Keep track of performance for a couple of weeks. If it is headed for being off by more than 5-6 secs/month, then it probably needs to have the trim screw adjusted.

DD OysterQuartz
Breitling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 03:56 AM   #10
KZZN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Cellini 5115
Hi,

I'd say that's probably in need of servicing, yes. My previous Oysterquartz, a Day-Date ref. 19018, ran at between -2 and -3 seconds per month. The difference from one day to the next was almost always so small as to be virtually un-noticeable.

My current Oysterquartz, a Datejust ref. 17014, is running at between +1 and +2 per day, and so is very much out-of-spec. I'm going to wait and get it serviced at the next battery change, since I don't feel a diference of a few seconds a day is so bad that I have to get it dealt with immediately. Inded, were this an Oyster Perpetual Datejust, I'd be happily singing its praises at only +1/+2 per day !
KZZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 04:26 AM   #11
OysterDavid
Banned

There's a place on the web that you can search for that specializes in Oysterquartz. If you find it there will be a page from the Rolex technical manual regarding battery changes. It explains that in the world of Rolex Oysterquartz, a battery change is very different than taking your 'normal' quartz watch to the mall, popping the caseback, inserting a new cell and going on your way.

The specs for what one would think is a simple battery swap actually at the RSC level (or the independent shop that follows the guides) actually involves a timing adjustment that based on my prior ownership of the Oysterquartz, can be within a few seconds per year. So, just swapping a battery may not be the cure all to the timing issue. But a Rolex RSC won't just do a battery change if they haven't any service history to the watch. When an RSC does a service, they will change batteries for free and adjust for what amounts to the next two or three battery intervals until it's time once again for the full treatment.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 10:38 PM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Bought mine last week with a new battery. Doesn't lose or gain at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DateJustOysterQuartz.jpg (65.6 KB, 195 views)
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 11:12 PM   #13
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZZN View Post
Hi,

I'd say that's probably in need of servicing, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
When an RSC does a service, they will change batteries for free and adjust for what amounts to the next two or three battery intervals until it's time once again for the full treatment.
Just out of curiosity, what does a service cost for a Rolex quartz watch?
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 12:04 AM   #14
Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
£400 in UK.
Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 02:31 AM   #15
OysterDavid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
The USA RSC's charged me more than the mechanical service price...at the time I owned and serviced the Oysterquartz, it was about $150 more than what was charged for an automatic servicing. If the RSC's now have a minimum drop charge of $600, then I'd figure on around $800...of course, that won't likely include the almost always mandatory new crown and tube. But, as stated, the RSC will then offer up at least two and maybe three battery changes and adjustment and return shipping at no cost. The timeline is based on when they deem the watch in need of a new service, and based on my experience of just around two years of battery life, there you have either a six or seven year turnaround.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote