The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2012, 12:56 AM   #1
GTguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc-116710LN
First time buyer advice needed - Thank you

My wife and I are looking to get our first Rolexes. She wants the 116034 (Oyster Perp - no date) and I want the GMT IIc 116710.

We tried on numerous models at our local AD in Atlanta and settled on the models above. I have been a long time lurker here and am familiar with the trusted sellers here on the forum.

My question is this:

These being our first Rolexes, should we buy from the AD? If we don't, how do you guys handle the insurance appraisal, band fitting, etc.... We're just concerned about the little things with a purchase of this magnitude.

Thank you all in advance for your advice!
GTguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 01:01 AM   #2
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Do what makes you most comfortable. Some people prefer to only buy new, only buy from an AD, etc. I do not mind buying used from a non AD. I prefer not to be the one taking the hit on it. You can get appraisals, fitting, etc. done fairly cheap if you can save a lot on the watch (all things equal). When my wife was looking for her first rolex, she wanted one that was more than $11k new. I was able to find one a few years old, but a perfect match for almost 1/3 the price at another watch store (not a Rolex AD) and they did the appraisal and fitting for free.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 01:13 AM   #3
lland
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with not buying from an AD (as long as you are comfortable with the seller) but not a bad thing to develop a relationship with an AD. Mine will size a watch, provide appraisals, etc. for any watch or jewelry item at no charge, even if I didn't purchase it from them and will call me with the occasional "deal," has never charged me for a changing a battery (yes, I do own a number of quartz watches), and (as most jewelers will do), will clean my wife's rings whenever we stop by.

Good luck in your search.

LL
lland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
imono
"TRF" Member

Depending on the AD you go to, ask for a discount since you are buying 2. All you have to do is ask!
And get it size right there and then.
And make sure they return the leftover links to you.
imono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 03:02 AM   #5
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
I went to an ad for my first Rolex and was very disappointed with the experience. If I had to do it over again I would use a trusted seller here. That being said, it depends on what piece of mind is worth to you.
As far as the sizing and appraisal, I believe you could pay an ad to do this and it would be more than made up for with the savings you realize here.
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 03:31 AM   #6
Cleveland

if you are concerned at all with the provenance of your valued purchase, then avoid using a trusted seller on these forums. if you aren't concerned about this, then go for them as the savings are significant.
Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 03:45 AM   #7
GTguy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

The wife is getting off early today and we may head into town to the AD. (She's got it bad!) Since she's doing the buying (my wife is the BEST) we may get her 116034 from the AD. After talking with a couple trusted sellers here. That piece with the fluted bezel is a little more difficult to find.

Then I can be a hero by saving her over $1k by getting my GMT IIc from one of the trusted sellers here. She's been eyeing a new leather recliner too

Thanks again - and if all goes well, pics on the wrist of the wife's first Rolex later tonight!
Old 27 December 2012, 03:45 AM   #8
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Retail plus 8.5% sales tax is discouraging for the stainless steel pieces I typically like. I would buy from a trusted seller first.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 04:10 AM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Buy wherever you're most comfortable. Adjusting the watches is as simple as a few screws. Appraisals can be done by any reputable jeweler.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 04:41 AM   #10
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to photos!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 06:00 AM   #11
MiamiLawyer

Watch: Bluesy, DDII
I've never been a fan of paying MSRP regardless of item. I rather buy from DavidSW even if I have to wait for him to order. However, when you want it now you HAVE to get it NOW! Good luck and please post pics! Cheers!
MiamiLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 06:06 AM   #12
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Buy wherever you're most comfortable. Adjusting the watches is as simple as a few screws. Appraisals can be done by any reputable jeweler.
Old 27 December 2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steamer View Post
if you are concerned at all with the provenance of your valued purchase, then avoid using a trusted seller on these forums. if you aren't concerned about this, then go for them as the savings are significant.
Completely ridiculous statement. Truth could not be further from this comment

To the OP. Buy where it makes you most comfortable but buying new from one of our trusted sellers here will not only result in a new watch (with all the provenance you could want) but also a potential savings. As for sizing it's as simple as using a small screw driver to remove/add links. Appraisals are available at any reputable jeweller. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 07:32 AM   #14
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
If this is a first Rolex, I think buying in an AD is well worth it.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 07:35 AM   #15
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
I love the sellers on the forum etc.

If you buy at AD...

Make sure you get a discount at least on hers...don't ask for it too early. Make sure they've already "spent" their commission in their minds and you've had a nice chat with the Owner/Manager prior as well.

Buying ONLY her's at AD might be OK b/c they might discount her model. Then buy yours here...as you know the forum...unless your wife is a "lurker" too.
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 07:58 AM   #16
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steamer View Post
I dont understand this comment at all. What does buying from a trusted seller have to do with the provenance of the watch. As long as you can save a little money and get exactly what you expected and more, it is a great deal for all. Some of the trusted sellers here sell watches that have never even been on the wrist of anyone so there is no difference than buying from an AD.
To the OP, the trusted sellers here are great and can most of the time find you whatever you need. Send one of them a PM and get the ball rolling and then post up some pics of your new watch.

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 08:06 AM   #17
Mickey®
Banned

Is it possible...I say possible...re "provenance"

That I am a thief and that I posted on TRF for a couple years and then I sell off a couple NICE, GOLD and Platinum watches to legitimate buyers/re-sellers whomever on the Forum...then they get them all cleaned up and FLIP them to buyers....

Problem is (theoretically of course) that they were all stolen goods....

Let me also say...I will NEVER stop buying used, Grey and from the Forum...heck I'm still buying from eBay!!!! So don't FLAME. I'm just sayin'....or was I asking, Is it possible?
Old 27 December 2012, 08:11 AM   #18
Andad

Watch: A few.
Is it also possible that questionable Rolex watches have been sold by AD's?

I was asking - is it possible?

Cleveland Steamer.

The OP was not questioning provenance. The questions were related to insurance valuations, adjustments and general back up that might not be so easy to do via a grey seller or a private sale depending on geography etc.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 08:13 AM   #19
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

hey!
I love this question...and it is a great question...
I bet there could be a way. I don't know though...
Old 27 December 2012, 01:15 PM   #20
GTguy
"TRF" Member

Ok, we just got back from the AD and my wife and I are proud new owners of our FIRST ROLEXES!!

Stainless 34mm (I think) Air King for her and the GMT IIc stainless for me!

I want to thank everyone here for their help and advice. My wife really enjoyed the AD experience. We got about 10% off hers by buying the both tonight. (No discount for the GMT) we also got a Wolf Watch Winder thrown in, a couple nice jewelry polishing cloths, and a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. Definitely would have saved more using a trusted seller here, but the wife is happy and in the end I guess that's what really matters.

As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will get them up. My camera isn't the best, but they're decent pics!

The AD is going to mail us our Warranty cards - IS THAT NORMAL?? It made me a little nervous but she said that's the way it's done. The appraisals will be mailed to us as well.
Old 27 December 2012, 01:36 PM   #21
GTguy
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone's help here, my wife and I are proud owners of our FIRST ROLEXES!

She ended up going with the stainless AirKing and I got the GMTIIc Stainless.

My wife really enjoyed the AD experience. She loved the sales lady and the way we were treated. It made the experience very enjoyable. We got about 10% off her AirKing (no discount on my GMT) We also got a Wolf Watch Winder, a couple of nice polishing cloths and a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon thrown in. I'm sure I could have saved more using a Trusted Seller here, but the wife's happy and ergo, so am I.

Here are some pics I took - I apologize for the quality. I'm still shaking with excitement!

My GMTIIc

Her Air King

Old 27 December 2012, 02:19 PM   #22
Brenngun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
hey!
I love this question...and it is a great question...
I bet there could be a way. I don't know though...
Mickey, About as possible as the Mayan calendar correctly forecasting the end of the world.
Old 27 December 2012, 02:34 PM   #23
Speed
"TRF" Member

Insurance Appraisals
- Don't understand your question. Take the TRF-seller-purchased watch to your appraiser and get an appraisal...send it to your agent. Done.

Band Fitting / Sizing
- Take the watch to a local RSC or AD and ask to have it sized. Pay a fee if one is required.
- Or...do it yourself ( not for me, but some like to do this.)
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 02:35 PM   #24
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Do what makes you comfortable, balance some savings with the lack of a Rolex Jeweler to run to with every little concern, advice, cleanings, the whole AD experience.

DEFINITELY tell the AD that the only way a deal will be done is with price discounting. Don't pay list price regardless. I got right near 20% off the 'old' list as I bought a few days after a 'new price went into effect' which even the AD admitted was silly since they bought it from Rolex at the older net pricing. Could I have saved a few bucks online - probably - but not worth it to me for Rolex #1. In the future I could live with pre-owned at a fraction of the price of a TRF Trusted Seller for BNIB at some degree of greater savings.

I like many am glad I got my first at an AD but can clearly see why others would not value it. I never once had to fret over anything being anything but 100% new, clear title, etc. just knowing the AD backed it all up.

Good luck and great choices !
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 05:06 PM   #25
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Mickey, About as possible as the Mayan calendar correctly forecasting the end of the world.
There have been cases where Rolex and other brands of watches have been switched at AD's.
The fakes were put back in the display case.
Were any ever mistakenly sold?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Cleveland

Quote:

Cleveland Steamer.
no it isn't possible. an AD has a hell of a lot more to lose then someone on here.

but i'll leave it at that.

to OP - good luck and enjoy whereever you buy from
Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 09:36 PM   #27
GTguy
"TRF" Member

We got our FIRST ROLEXES!

My wife and I bought our first Rolexes last night from our AD. I tried posting pics but got a message saying the post had to be reviewed by a Moderator first. Hopefully they will show up soon.

I have a couple questions to ask as well.

1. The AD said they'd mail our warranty cards and appraisal to us. Is this normal??

2. The lume on my GMTIIc wasn't showing up at all last night when we left the store and went out into the night. After sitting under my desk lamp later it became visible. I take it these aren't Tritium filled markers like Luminox, etc ? Surprising for an $8000 sports watch
Old 27 December 2012, 10:09 PM   #28
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post

Old 28 December 2012, 09:55 AM   #29
Brenngun

Quote:
There have been cases where Rolex and other brands of watches have been switched at AD's.
The fakes were put back in the display case.
Were any ever mistakenly sold?
That would be an amazing predicament. I'm guessing they do a simple serial number check of the watch against the warranty card but can you imagine if one actually got out and the new owner found the issue after leaving the store. Hate to think about that discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post

Cheers Mickey
Old 28 December 2012, 11:07 AM   #30
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
If your AD was a chain store, I have heard they sometimes mail the warranty cards. No first hand experience on that.
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote