The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2021, 08:35 PM   #61
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I really like the new Tudors. That said, I’m partial to anything Speedmaster - but not a fan at all of the newly released models. Too far away from the original watches that actually went to space.
7enderbender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 06:30 AM   #62
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

I agree with the most, Omega is overall a better brand than Tudor except in the dive watch category.

Omegas Divers are great watches, case finishing, bracelet quality and movement is much better than Tudor, however those alone doesn't make the watch. POs are big and thick, SMPs have that ugly peanut butter cup HE escape valve and outdated bracelet design. Until Omega brings back Seamaster 300 sword hand (watchco), Tudor divers will be my choice. I like the new Seamaster 300 (reissue) but sandwich dial is a reminiscent of PAMs.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 07:25 AM   #63
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
I really like the new Tudors. That said, I’m partial to anything Speedmaster - but not a fan at all of the newly released models. Too far away from the original watches that actually went to space.
Really? In what way? Aesthetically they are even more like the watches that went to the moon. The only difference, and it's somewhat of a major difference, I'll give you that, is a Co-Axial escapement and hacking. But because of that my Speedmaster is +.04 seconds a day. I'm quite pleased.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 03:16 PM   #64
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Have you tried the non-GMT Aqua Terra? They are some of the most comfortable watches I have ever worn. Fits better than my Submariner. Of course, YMMV.
Yes, I tried the normal AT a long time ago. I def should try again if considering a non-GMT watch.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 11:58 PM   #65
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Personally I find Omega to be on another level, from a pure emotional perspective. It resonates with me in a way Tudor can't compete. I would still own, wear and appreciate a Tudor for what it is. It's just that a Speedy and a Seamaster have an aura about them that Tudor lacks. IMHO.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 02:01 AM   #66
Plant
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36, Nomos Ahoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Same here. They also can't seem to quite stop themselves from adding some funky design detail that ruins the whole thing like skeleton hands, funky shaped indices, protruding HEV, Hideous clasp, weird bracelets, yada. That is one place where Rolex really stands out is comfortable watches with timeless design (mostly).
Agree with both these statements 100%

If Omega made a DJ 36 competitor that was as thin, comfortable and reserved as a DJ I would sell my Rolex and buy it immediately.

Omega is a brand I like in theory but I dislike their watches. Rolex is the opposite: I dont like anything about the hype and nonsense around the brand. Honesty pretty much every Rolex is overpriced at this point too. However, noone makes a better daily wear watch than Rolex that I can afford so Im sticking with Rolex even though I would be very happy never setting foot in a Rolex AD ever again
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 02:24 AM   #67
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
The battle of the worst watches, who will win? Speedmaster or do not bother with either IMO.
Old 30 May 2021, 02:24 AM   #68
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant View Post
Agree with both these statements 100%

If Omega made a DJ 36 competitor that was as thin, comfortable and reserved as a DJ I would sell my Rolex and buy it immediately.

Omega is a brand I like in theory but I dislike their watches. Rolex is the opposite: I dont like anything about the hype and nonsense around the brand. Honesty pretty much every Rolex is overpriced at this point too. However, noone makes a better daily wear watch than Rolex that I can afford so Im sticking with Rolex even though I would be very happy never setting foot in a Rolex AD ever again

Aqua Terra has a reserved well-proportioned design with a lot of dial color and texture options and nice bracelets or rubber straps for $5,700 msrp and can actually be had for $4k. Better WR plus the other benefits of Omega movement.

I really like this one though more pricey than a datejust.

Old 31 May 2021, 12:30 AM   #69
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Aqua Terra has a reserved well-proportioned design with a lot of dial color and texture options and nice bracelets or rubber straps for $5,700 msrp and can actually be had for $4k. Better WR plus the other benefits of Omega movement.

That watch is sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 12:53 AM   #70
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I would consider this over a DJ.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 01:43 AM   #71
holdingon
"TRF" Member

Omega is not in great shape. They lost the battle with Rolex. Tudor is now a serious threat…. Not good.
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 03:00 AM   #72
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Omega offers far better a product than Tudor.
There is no comparison, really in just about every aspect. From history to movements, technology, fit and finish, movements decoration, dials, the list goes on... So much more refinement and value for money. Some would (rightfully) argue that Omega loses much to brand dilution with several limited editions, variations makeovers etc. But Tudor is also about to fall victim of the Black Bay line much in the same way.
In fact, should Tudor opts to keep releasing 3-4 "Black Bay" iterations a year, they should be changing name...
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 03:07 AM   #73
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
I know this is TRF but, seriously, Tudor is nowhere near the quality of Omega.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 03:50 AM   #74
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
Omega is not in great shape. They lost the battle with Rolex. Tudor is now a serious threat…. Not good.
Yeah they look like they’re struggling.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 04:05 AM   #75
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
What?
Old 31 May 2021, 04:12 AM   #76
Plant
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36, Nomos Ahoi
Quote:

Ive tried the Aqua Terra on a few times and I really prefer my DJ 36 126200. The dial colors are nice, but I dont like the triangle indexes, arrow minute hand, or the second hand compared to the DJ. I also prefer the case shape, bracelet, proportions, and overall feel on the wrist of the DJ.

Rolex designs are more "timeless", I like how the DJ 36 has stayed so similar over the years. That AT could look dated in 10 years but a DJ 36 will always be classic and good looking. The only futureproof Omega to me is the Speedmaster, the rest they update too often to be classic.
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 04:14 AM   #77
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
The battle of the worst watches, who will win? Speedmaster or do not bother with either IMO.
If this thread was the battle of worst opinions, you would have won handily.
Old 31 May 2021, 05:53 AM   #78
Mr Biggles
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Reverso 1948
Wow is this a real question...
Omega's history, brand heritage, technical prowess vastly exceeds Tudor. They are not even in the same league
In fact, the only area Rolex itself excels above omega is marketing and maintaining a powerful brand image.

I get this is TRF but sometimes the amount of omega disrespect is not deserved
Mr Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 06:48 AM   #79
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Biggles View Post
In fact, the only area Rolex itself excels above omega is marketing and maintaining a powerful brand image
Each to their own but that's not true. Rolex is still slightly superior to Omega in terms of movements (apart from the anti-magnetism) and built quality. But it's not 4000 $ more superior.
And I don't think it's disrespectful to start comparing Tudor to Omega.
Omarion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 07:20 AM   #80
Kevain
"TRF" Member

I’ll bite.

My omega (po 42mm 8500) is an amazing watch. But it is heavy on the bracelet and quite tall, no matter how you try to frame it. Great watch but can be uncomfortable when wearing several layers of clothing in the winter.

The Tudor BB58 is a much lighter, thinner watch. It’s a nice piece, I love wearing it, but to say it has the Omega beat in any other way than its dimensions wouldn’t resonate with me.

Kinda like my Explorer 39mm. Slim, lightweight but not particularly more or less impressive than the Omega. They’re all nice watches and get worn about equally (with a Panerai thrown into the mix). The Tudor is the newest so it gets a bit more time now, but it will even out.
Kevain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 07:40 AM   #81
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalclown View Post
First BB Chrono against new Speedy
Then Gold BB58 against Bronze Gold Seamaster 300
Now Black Black BB Metas against Black Black Seamaster Pro Metas

Very similar releases this year in very similar price points. Omega released them first but I wonder who "get inspired" from whom? Is it Tudor targeting Omega's market or Omega trying to grab Tudor's mostly younger customer demographic's attention?

Great nickname.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 09:49 AM   #82
GaoKS
"TRF" Member

I waited a very long time for a 114060 Sub and love it to to death, however, my Omega SMPc 300 on a Zealande rubber still gets a TON of wrist time. Watch for watch the only thing I can say is objectively better is the bracelet on the Sub. IMO - Seamaster to BB line is not even in the same league. That’s just my opinion. I also second the notions above regarding the new Aqua Terra’s - especially on the rubber straps
GaoKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 12:32 PM   #83
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Omega is on higher level than Tudor, in the US more people knows about Seiko than Tudor. Tudor is Rolex 2nd line or basically a poorman's Rolex
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 12:35 PM   #84
6XYBE63ST
Banned

neither, i would buy a panerai...
6XYBE63ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 01:26 PM   #85
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarion07 View Post
Each to their own but that's not true. Rolex is still slightly superior to Omega in terms of movements (apart from the anti-magnetism) and built quality. But it's not 4000 $ more superior.
And I don't think it's disrespectful to start comparing Tudor to Omega.

I’m a huge Omega fan, but I think Rolex is heads above by a lot. I also think Omega is heads above Tudor by a lot more.

I remember trying on a DJ41, blue dial, jubilee, fluted bezel. This was about 3 or 4 years ago when DJ41s and some other less popular SS models were still in the display cases.

Anyway, I tried on the DJ41 and was totally blown away by it. I then tried on a blue dial Aqua Terra. The Aqua Terra was nice, but nowhere near as impressive as the DJ41.

By the way, it was a huge mistake for me not to buy that DJ41 because that exact watch is not nearly as easy to get as it once was.

Old 31 May 2021, 01:28 PM   #86
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Have both, awesome and awesome...
Old 31 May 2021, 01:32 PM   #87
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I have a few speedy’s and a BB chrono dark LE. Omega is a lot more watch in many ways. Love the BB but it’s not even close.
Old 31 May 2021, 02:27 PM   #88
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Tudor vs Omega (in 2021)

I own two of each and like the Tudors more. I think the Heritage Chrono and BB bronze are so unique. All that said the Omegas are a better quality and it’s not close. I have the previous generation 300 Pro and the new non LE Railmaster. Other than the bracelets they rival Rolex in my opinion.

Old 31 May 2021, 02:37 PM   #89
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

I have a SMP, 2 AT's, Ranger and BB58. All great watches. IMO Omega makes a better watch.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 09:13 PM   #90
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Not going to touch the issue of who makes a better movement or even a better overall watch. I see both sides.

But wearability is key to me and that requires an esthetically pleasing, comfortable and sturdy bracelet. To me, Omega has never gotten the bracelet issue right. Rolex is tops on the bracelet contest. Tudor is second. And Omega last. Just my opinion.