The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 September 2022, 05:32 AM   #1
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Pros and cons to buy PP in salons or AD?

Can I ask what are the pros and cons to start the relationship in salons and get some non sports models? I have an AD to work with for my Rolex, where it is an AD of PP too. Not sure if I should go to the AD or salons? I know it is hard to get any model at present. Thanks.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 06:20 AM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
Can I ask what are the pros and cons to start the relationship in salons and get some non sports models? I have an AD to work with for my Rolex, where it is an AD of PP too. Not sure if I should go to the AD or salons? I know it is hard to get any model at present. Thanks.

If you have a private jet and millions to spend pick a salon closest to you otherwise pick your local AD.

Visited all 3 of them recently just to check them out and all of them were great to me. London/ geneva went above and beyond and paris was a little more closer to normal AD experience but still very friendly.

All of them confirmed nothing is for sale for non locals but of course I’m sure for the super rich it might be different. I’m sure it helps being closer to Patek corporate when you are after rare handcrafts/ grand comps like sky moon or 5531 but for mere mortals is not a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 06:21 AM   #3
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
If you have a private jet and millions to spend pick a salon closest to you otherwise pick your local AD.

Visited all 3 of them recently just to check them out and all of them were great to me. London/ geneva went above and beyond and paris was a little more closer to normal AD experience but still very friendly.

All of them confirmed nothing is for sale for non locals but of course I’m sure for the super rich it might be different. I’m sure it helps being closer to Patek corporate when you are after rare handcrafts/ grand comps like sky moon or 5531 but for mere mortals is not a possibility.

Edit: if you are truly local aka live in Geneva or Paris / France it might be different and you have a shot but starting from scratch seems still tough

Old 11 September 2022, 06:30 AM   #4
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Edit: if you are truly local aka live in Geneva or Paris / France it might be different and you have a shot but starting from scratch seems still tough

Thank you so much for the info and experience. It is very helpful and useful.

I don't have a private jet so salon won't be for me then. I live near London so London salon should be the only option. I even struggle to get my Rolex so definitely won't near to get any PP. So it is not the right time for me to start to collect PP.... hopefully it would be in few years time.
Old 11 September 2022, 06:35 AM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't have a private jet so salon won't be for me then. I live near London so London salon should be the only option. I even struggle to get my Rolex so definitely won't near to get any PP. So it is not the right time for me to start to collect PP.... hopefully it would be in few years time.

If you are interested in Rolex and maybe even other brands pick an AD closest to you that has multiple brands and start building a relationship. Definitely the best route

Old 11 September 2022, 09:23 AM   #6
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Quote:

They will only sell to locals now as new clients. However, if you live near London I would recommend you try to start a relationship with the Salon there. The advantage is that you are dealing with the brand directly, and will not have to play games buying other brands just to try to get on a list for PP. They are also much more transparent than ADs. Nautilus and Aquanaut are not allowed as a first purchase, but anything else goes. Obviously some pieces will take longer than others. After the first purchase, you can ask for a Nautilus/Aquanaut but the wait will still be long.
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 10:45 AM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Choose a big multibrand AD and work with them exclusively for all your watch purchases. Be friends with them on a personal level and you will get all your watches once both your spending and friendship deepen.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 03:36 PM   #8
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Thanks again APWhale and Ichiran, I am no longer interest to Nautilus/Aquanaut (used to but not now anymor, may change my mind again in the future). I have long relationship with WoS since 2015 and bought some different brands but mainly are Rolex.
Asked one of SAs there if I want to get a PP, he said he will refer me to another branch for another SA. Not sure if this helps to put me on the list of whatsoever.
However I just feel that it is not the right time to collect PP or other timepieces. Not sure when would this kind of hype can be soften.....
Old 12 September 2022, 06:29 AM   #9
audemar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Asked one of SAs there if I want to get a PP, he said he will refer me to another branch for another SA. Not sure if this helps to put me on the list of whatsoever.
Were you given a reason as to why this was the case?

Established a relationship with WoS and I was told that they operated on a store loyalty/SA loyalty model and therefore if there were timepieces available in other stores, an internal transfer can be made.
audemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 06:41 AM   #10
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audemar View Post
Were you given a reason as to why this was the case?

Established a relationship with WoS and I was told that they operated on a store loyalty/SA loyalty model and therefore if there were timepieces available in other stores, an internal transfer can be made.
sorry, I haven't expressed myself clearly. The SA I have dealt with is Rolex only store so the store she works for hasn't sold any PP. I have to be referred to another SA to assist me if I want to get PP.
Old 13 September 2022, 05:44 PM   #11
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

To answer the initial question, I don't see any "con"...

The only "con" obviously is if they wouldn't sell you anything ;-)
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 05:45 PM   #12
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Choose a big multibrand AD and work with them exclusively for all your watch purchases. Be friends with them on a personal level and you will get all your watches once both your spending and friendship deepen.
The issue with that is that eventually, they will lose AP, if not done already, probably PP, in time, etc. etc.

So you will be stuck with Rolex, Beaume & Mercier and Ulysse Nardin, and all that spend money for nothing...

Go direct!
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 07:35 PM   #13
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
sorry, I haven't expressed myself clearly. The SA I have dealt with is Rolex only store so the store she works for hasn't sold any PP. I have to be referred to another SA to assist me if I want to get PP.
I graduated from buying Rolex at Mappin & Webb, to WoS 'poaching' me to buy PP once I had previously expressed an interested about PP to my M&W SA.

This has worked very well for me and my previous Rolex purchases were taken into account for my PP dealings, leading to getting my hands on a couple of sports PP fairly quickly (although I had to buy a 5146r first up).
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 11:40 PM   #14
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Both routes have their own pros and cons. Personally buying from a multi-brand AD allows one to buy watches that they like across different brands to build their relationship/purchase history. The drawback is that brands tend to keep their best releases for their boutiques. Going the mono brand boutique/house route is great if you only fancy one brand and intend to buy only that brand going forward. You will get a lot of exclusive offerings from that particular brand but to build a good rapport you may need to buy some other offerings that you might not like from that particular brand.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 11:48 PM   #15
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
I graduated from buying Rolex at Mappin & Webb, to WoS 'poaching' me to buy PP once I had previously expressed an interested about PP to my M&W SA.

This has worked very well for me and my previous Rolex purchases were taken into account for my PP dealings, leading to getting my hands on a couple of sports PP fairly quickly (although I had to buy a 5146r first up).
Thanks. That is what I am hoping for too.
Old 13 September 2022, 11:49 PM   #16
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Both routes have their own pros and cons. Personally buying from a multi-brand AD allows one to buy watches that they like across different brands to build their relationship/purchase history. The drawback is that brands tend to keep their best releases for their boutiques. Going the mono brand boutique/house route is great if you only fancy one brand and intend to buy only that brand going forward. You will get a lot of exclusive offerings from that particular brand but to build a good rapport you may need to buy some other offerings that you might not like from that particular brand.
Yes. Just like A Lange, a lot of models are now exclusive in boutiques...
Old 14 September 2022, 03:22 AM   #17
AHG
"TRF" Member

I have an appointment at the Paris Salon next month. They also made it clear nothing is for sale, and that's understandable. My goal is to see pieces that I don't see in my local boutiques so that I can create a wishlist of what I may want. My question is, are there a wide variety of exhibition pieces available to try on at the Paris Salon?
AHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 04:05 AM   #18
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHG View Post
I have an appointment at the Paris Salon next month. They also made it clear nothing is for sale, and that's understandable. My goal is to see pieces that I don't see in my local boutiques so that I can create a wishlist of what I may want. My question is, are there a wide variety of exhibition pieces available to try on at the Paris Salon?
yes plenty when i was there two weeks ago. I think they dont have all the MR like Geneva but I tried on 5990R, 5205R and 5172 salmon dial and I saw plenty more to try on worth a visit but you have to make an appointment in advance
Old 14 September 2022, 05:30 AM   #19
AHG
"TRF" Member

That's exciting to hear. Thanks.
Old 14 September 2022, 05:46 AM   #20
AHG
"TRF" Member

Another random question, are wrist shots frowned upon or restricted?
Old 14 September 2022, 06:54 AM   #21
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Quote:
No
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 01:44 PM   #22
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Paris salon didn’t want me to take a wrist shot of the 5990-1R but otherwise no problem