The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2022, 03:56 AM   #1
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
How to buy second strap for Patek with deployant clasp?

If you have a 5960P with an alligator strap and deployant clasp and you want to buy a casual calf leather strap for it, how does that work?

Do you buy the second strap and have them move the clasp to the second strap? Or do you buy a second deployant clasp to go with the second strap?

What is the benefit of buying an official Patek calf leather strap in this case?
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 04:06 AM   #2
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
There are a few options:

1. Buy a non-Patek regular strap (most people do) and use a regular tang bucket that comes with that strap. Unless you are dead set on having a Patek buckle, most people do this. Watch straps are simple and an easy to change accessary so you don't really need it branded. If do want it branded you can order a Patek tang buckle (much cheaper) and swap it on.

2. Buy a non-Patek deployment strap. Just swap your deployment buckle on to it. Not a hard task. Just make sure the sizing is correct and it fits your deployment buckle. Most are pretty universal so it shouldn't be an issue.

3. Buy a Patek strap and swap it over. AD can help with that.

It's a strap, please do not be silly and buy a second deployment clasp that can cost $2-3k or more. It's a simple switch along with the fact that you will likely change straps more often in the future. It's like having new shoes.

I would go with option 1 or 2. I personally like some external brands more than Patek OEM. I.e. I like my straps thinner. I find Patek straps thick and overpriced. You can find something the same or better quality for less. And more often than not, especially with short straps (which I need), more readily available.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 04:08 AM   #3
jsobral
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5164R-5167R-5107R
I just went through the whole Patek strap process.

You can buy whatever you want. Prices are throught the roof though.

I would recommend just get the strap and move the deployant clasp, this is because the deployant clasps are way too expensive (over 5000 USD).

I bought an official Patek alligator strap from my AD to replace my old one, it was about 800 USD.
The only benefit is keeping the watch 100% Patek. They are very easy to fake, so I would not buy a Patek strap online or anywhere besideds AD. You can also consider other alligator strap manufacturers, but its not like they will be too cheap. You will save about 300 USD give or take.
jsobral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 05:41 AM   #4
classicalthunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsobral View Post
I bought an official Patek alligator strap from my AD to replace my old one, it was about 800 USD.
The only benefit is keeping the watch 100% Patek. They are very easy to fake, so I would not buy a Patek strap online or anywhere besideds AD. You can also consider other alligator strap manufacturers, but its not like they will be too cheap. You will save about 300 USD give or take.
does this include the Patek spade-style pin buckle as well? or was that an additional cost?
classicalthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 05:43 AM   #5
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I bought a tang. Makes strap changes a lot easier the deployant has a tiny screw that is easy to damage. I think it was 4 or 500 bucks. Quite a lot for a small piece of gold....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 10:12 AM   #6
jsobral
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5164R-5167R-5107R
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalthunder View Post
does this include the Patek spade-style pin buckle as well? or was that an additional cost?
No pin buckle.
jsobral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 11:46 AM   #7
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Thanks! If you find an official strap you like, is there any benefit to paying the crazy premium? Like when you send the watch for servicing?
Old 17 September 2022, 12:56 PM   #8
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

In the US, if you get a standard strap front their catalog, it’s a little more than $500. That’s what I paid. Standard strap is also much quicker turnaround. Mine came in 3-4 weeks. My AD has a Patek certified watchmaker so he moved the deployment clasp for me. It has a super tiny screw, so I didn’t wasn’t to risk it by doing it myself.

However if you want a custom strap (unique color, size, etc.) I understand it costs almost $900 and could take up to 6 month.

In hindsight, I should have save the money. I wants a full Patek experience and want to use the Patek deployment clasp, but frankly it doesn’t fit me well. I will most likely get another third party strap with more color options and just use whatever buckle that comes with it.
Old 17 September 2022, 01:28 PM   #9
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
My AD has a Patek certified watchmaker so he moved the deployment clasp for me. It has a super tiny screw, so I didn’t wasn’t to risk it by doing it myself.
I actually love using the Patek deployant clasp.

Is moving the clasp at the official service center or AD enough reason to just buy an official strap assuming you like the color and don't need to go custom?
Old 17 September 2022, 01:51 PM   #10
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

It was an AD who happens to be an official Patek service center. For me, I feel much more comfortable for their watchmaker to move the deployment clasp given his experience. I saw him doing it and even he was super careful and took a lot more time than I had expected. Obviously, there was no cost to the service since I purchased the strap from them. I suspect if I purchase a 3rd party strap they might charge me for the service.
Old 17 September 2022, 10:02 PM   #11
khairain
"TRF" Member

Since you’re in Singapore just check with your AD on the custom clearance. I’m in Malaysia my alligator straps took 6 months to clear from custom. Would have gotten 3rd party strap but my 5205r originally came with buckle so had to ordered my deployant clasp with new strap.
khairain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 10:51 PM   #12
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

What size screwdriver do you need to change the strap on the deployant ? Might be worth looking into if you aren’t close to an AD / service center who can swap it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 12:18 AM   #13
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
It was an AD who happens to be an official Patek service center. For me, I feel much more comfortable for their watchmaker to move the deployment clasp given his experience. I saw him doing it and even he was super careful and took a lot more time than I had expected. Obviously, there was no cost to the service since I purchased the strap from them. I suspect if I purchase a 3rd party strap they might charge me for the service.
I have swapped the deployant clasp on a few occasions. It is actually not that hard as I am not handy at all.

My advice is make sure you have a very good set of watchmakers screw driver and a tweezer. It is a very small screw so you will only be able to set it back by holding it with a tweezer. It can come out okay without tweezer and I was running around the house the first time like a madman looking for a pair of tweezers when I found out my fingers were just too big for holding it.

When you order the strap from Patek, make sure you specify that it is for deployant as the length is different. Also, if you are doing it yourself, you can order a spare screw in case you lose it or damaged the head.

Going to the watchmaker would probably be safe but then if you want to switch once in a while, it would be too much hassle.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 12:22 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrançoisCzapek View Post
Thanks! If you find an official strap you like, is there any benefit to paying the crazy premium? Like when you send the watch for servicing?
Yes, the watch is considered complete if it has a factory strap with logo. On a Patek I find the few extra dollars for their straps not to be a big deal. Plus, their straps are made exactly to the watch in term of bolstering and thickness. The downside is there is not a whole lot of color selections from Patek and the colors for the most part are low key conservative. If you need a strap which must be ordered with Patek, that can take about four months If you're wearing your watch to keep, check out ABP in Paris, Camille Fournet in Paris or Combat straps in Canada. Better pricing, much greater options and much faster delivery times. Patek service could not care less what type of strap is on your watch. Your strap will be re-installed as you sent it in.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 12:28 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
What size screwdriver do you need to change the strap on the deployant ? Might be worth looking into if you aren’t close to an AD / service center who can swap it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Look at the underside of the clasp in the center. Under a loupe, you will see a small set screw which must be removed so the bar slides out. This size screw is far too small for me to remove and replace without damaging the screw or simply not being able to place it to reseat to screw back. Hence, I use a watchmaker to replace straps on deployants. Really too back as I would like to change out straps often, but I don't.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote