The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2022, 10:22 AM   #61
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I did watch Tim's video and he says "undoubtedly finished by hand". This, ironically, does introduce some doubt haha. If he knew this for a fact it doesn't seem like he'd phrase it that way. This sounds more like he's looking at it, thinking it looks very nice, and considering it is the likes of Patek he's concluding that it's "undoubtedly" finished by hand. That could be too much reading between the lines on my part, but I guess I'm still not 100% certain either way...
you replied to yourself.

Actually I saw your reply in context so I know who you were really replying to.
But a little humor is always good these days
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 02:30 PM   #62
Dalaruan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
To the OP - I looked at both watches before I bought the 6119R. I was already leaning in the direction of Patek, but I wanted to consider other watches before spending $30k.

Without getting into any technical details, I just felt that the 6119R was a much better looking watch than the Lange. I actually preferred the size of the Lange and the finishing of the movement seemed much more refined than Patek, but the Patek case really spoke to me. I also wanted a really clean dial (I don’t understand what people are saying when there’s too much going on). The hobnail bezel initially also was a negative for me, but it’s became and still is a huge positive now. It really is such a elegant piece of work that dresses up the watch.

As far as demand goes, whether it’s “manufactured” or not, it seems the Patek 6119 is just WAY more in demand than Lange 1815. I waited about 6 months for the Patek after registering interest with 2 ADs, one which I had to put a deposit (funnily I ended up getting it from the other AD first that didn’t require a deposit, and then got my deposit back from the other AD). The Lange 1815 on the other hand, I’ve walked into multiple ADs and it’s sitting in the case.

Lastly - what dial gives this kind of reflection?
Absolutely, I doubt those who said the 6119 is messy has seen the watch in person.
I suppose the only flaw, well two flaws, are that it could be 1mm smaller at 38mm it will be perfect, and that the beautiful movement could really use an internal angle instead of rounded lines that screams corner cutting
Dalaruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 09:37 PM   #63
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalaruan View Post
Absolutely, I doubt those who said the 6119 is messy has seen the watch in person.
I suppose the only flaw, well two flaws, are that it could be 1mm smaller at 38mm it will be perfect, and that the beautiful movement could really use an internal angle instead of rounded lines that screams corner cutting
Rest assured I've seen 6119 many times in person. Multiple ADs near me including "my AD" had one or both sitting in the case or window whenever I have been there. No matter if in pics or IRL, the design elements on this watch don't work well together in my eyes. I do agree with your two flaws above though.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 01:12 PM   #64
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I'm late to this thread and a lot of good things have been said, but I thought I'd offer my view to complement or contradict them.

As to what you write about Lange not making a profit, I've heard it said that Cartier (both their jewelry and their watches) finance the other Richemont brands, and I don't doubt this. That written, I don't think Lange or any other Richemont brands are operating at a loss, but I doubt they're making large profits.

My first really nice dress watch was an 1815 36mm in yellow gold followed shortly by a Patek 3119 in yellow gold, both watches I'd always liked. I replaced the 3119 when the 5119 came out, as I liked the larger size (34mm v. 36mm), the elongated Roman numerals, and the display caseback. The only downside of the 5119 is that the movement is too small for the case. Nevertheless, I still own it, along with the 1815. The 6119 with its new movement rectifies this, although I don't think the dial, bezel, indices, and hands of the 6119 are as harmonious as on the 3119 or 5119. I've tried the 6119 on several times and have considered it, but because it's larger, very flat, and I have small wrists, it just doesn't look right on my 6.7" wrist. If one has larger wrists, I could see it working, but the 39mm 1815 Up/Down works better on smaller wrists like mine.

I currently own three Langes (all 1815s in colored gold), and two Pateks, also in colored gold. I only own one white gold watch (a JLC), simply because that's the only metal that the complication and dial combo I wanted was offered in. I personally prefer my gold watches to be colored and if I want white metal, I prefer steel or platinum. That written, white gold is a lot more versatile than colored gold and if the watch you want only comes in white gold and not steel or platinum, then get the white gold.

Between the two watches you show, I will say that the 6119 is a lot more dressy due to the hobnail bezel. I personally love this bezel, but I will admit that I think it's quite dressy and I usually only wear my 5119 with a suit while I wear my 1815s with smooth bezels with suits but also with khakis and Oxford shirts. White gold will dress down both watches more.

As for the cases, Patek, like Vacheron, makes far more elegant and thin cases and they are made in-house. Lange basically makes (or has made for them) the same case for all their watches. It's a fine case of superb quality, albeit a bit boring, but the movement is where Lange really shines. All Pateks are hand finished but Langes are more hand finished (except on the Patek rattrapantes and minute repeaters) and it shows under magnification. How much this matters is up to you. I will say that I find Langes to be far better values than Pateks.

In summary, I don't think you'd go wrong with either watch, but I could imagine the 1815 Up/Down being worn in a lot more scenarios than the 6119. Regardless, you really need to try both on and see which speaks to you more. Cheers!
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 02:02 PM   #65
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
I vote 1815 here.
Old 25 October 2023, 05:47 PM   #66
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I vote 1815 here.

Love the anniversary 1815!
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 10:42 PM   #67
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
This type of comparison isn’t an academic one. I have tried on Langes many times and never pulled the trigger on one, one stupidly passing on a new 1815 chrono almost at dealer cost.

You need to try the pieces on your wrist.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 12:39 AM   #68
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

No comment on better but they are both gorgeous watches.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 01:02 AM   #69
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post

Love the anniversary 1815!

Thank you!