The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 September 2022, 07:26 PM   #1
Nikia
"TRF" Member

Info request on full set 1948 Rolex ref. 3372

Hi guys, seeking some advice and information on this gem found by a close friend. It’s what appears to be a Rolex ref. 3372, I’m not the best when it comes to vintage but it looks to be all period correct. The clasp has been swapped cause the original one broke, but the removed one is there and repairable in my opinion.

What’s really surprising is the whole documentation: there’s the warranty, COSC certificate, case and movement serial matches what the papers says.

Here are some pics, before contacting an auction house would love to hear your considerations- a rough estimate of what such a piece may be worth, if anyone ever seen a full set of this.
Nikia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 07:27 PM   #2
Nikia
"TRF" Member

Looks like I can’t post pics. My post count must be 10.
Old 18 September 2022, 07:41 PM   #3
Nikia
"TRF" Member

Old 18 September 2022, 09:21 PM   #4
oysterfisher
"TRF" Member

Wow, looks beautiful and the case seems to be in a good condition as well. Great find
oysterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 10:34 PM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Very cool find. It's really fun to have all the documents and even though the dial is rough, I think it's still appealing. I'm sure there is a collector out there who will want it, but I don't think the value will be astronomical. The 32mm references just don't have the popularity these days. In your place, I would look for some comp auction sales and add 10-15%. Adjust for the condition of the dial and include the value of the bracelet.
Old 18 September 2022, 10:53 PM   #6
Nikia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Very cool find. It's really fun to have all the documents and even though the dial is rough, I think it's still appealing. I'm sure there is a collector out there who will want it, but I don't think the value will be astronomical. The 32mm references just don't have the popularity these days. In your place, I would look for some comp auction sales and add 10-15%. Adjust for the condition of the dial and include the value of the bracelet.
I actually tried and take a look at auctions- looks like no one has ever been sold with papers.
Old 18 September 2022, 11:01 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikia View Post
I actually tried and take a look at auctions- looks like no one has ever been sold with papers.
As I said, add a modest amount for the papers. For a watch like this, they will help the value, but the amount added won't be enormous. For a highly desirable reference/example, the documents would be more valuable IMO. Ultimately, this is a nice watch, but small and the dial is rough. Still, there are definitely people who collect them.

When doing a valuation, you always need to make adjustments, so don't take the auctions so literally. Collect results, adjust up or down for accessories and condition, and average. If you want to have data on the value of the papers, spend some time looking at auction prices for a more common reference and see how much the papers add. Sometimes you need to do some research. Or, if you're planning to send it to an auction house, let them do the research for you.
Old 18 September 2022, 11:34 PM   #8
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Beautiful set for the piece. Dial has bit of discolouration/dirt but a nice patina . I had one just a few years ago also full set, it made just £1800 at the time dial wasn't as fresh as yours, less papers, non brevet + crown etc etc. Mine I think was a late 40s and had SWISS MADE dial with a lot of patina/wear, I'd have expected a 48 to be SWISS MADE as SWISS dials came in about around 1951-52 I think I'm right in saying (so might be a service dial). Dan's right 32mm don't get the love that 34mm get. Sure this could do better perhaps if two keen collectors bid against each other but it's not going to set any records - good luck.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 04:07 AM   #9
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavidthorpe View Post
...this could do better perhaps if two keen collectors bid against each other but it's not going to set any records - good luck.
Getting two or more bidders who "tilt" when bidding is a sellers dream. I looked at winning bids for a vintage Rolex with a factory dial that had a companies logo on it. Most sold for $3,000 to $4,000. There was one that sold for $22,500.
Isochronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 10:50 AM   #10
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Great find. I agree that someone like Rolliworks could repair the clasp.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote