The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 September 2022, 06:22 PM   #1
rollie_or_not
"TRF" Member

Entry level Patek

Hi guys,

All you patek experts here, I’m looking to buy an entry level patek, I guess it’s the calatrava. Is this model similar to Rolex models that it’s quite hard to get? Or can you just walk into any store? If not, how long is the usual waiting time for this watch?

Cheers!
rollie_or_not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 11:26 PM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
My AD for a while had no men's Patek watches in stock. Have not checked lately. Many Patek ADs have websites showing their inventory such as Betteridge. If there is stock showing, just call and order one. I would not believe the wait is long if there is no stock, but who knows on that. It varies with the AD and the people they have in line.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 11:33 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Welcome to the forum
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 12:43 AM   #4
EUguy
"TRF" Member

That would be a 6119R/G or a 5738R. Both absolutely gorgeous and refined time pieces in precious metal. Can’t go wrong with either of them and will remain classics and will not easily go out of fashion.
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 01:05 AM   #5
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Absurd to talk of an ‘entry level’ watch. That’s snobby sales nonsense. Entry into what? When are you finally ‘in’? A complication, grand complication, a minute repeater? How much does one have to spend to have ‘entered’? How many PP’s do you have to own?

Do not buy a PP just because it’s a PP. Buy one because you love it and can afford it. Don’t buy one thinking you have to upgrade a ‘level’ later. What would ‘upgrade’ a level mean exactly?
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 01:44 AM   #6
rollie_or_not
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Absurd to talk of an ‘entry level’ watch. That’s snobby sales nonsense. Entry into what? When are you finally ‘in’? A complication, grand complication, a minute repeater? How much does one have to spend to have ‘entered’? How many PP’s do you have to own?

Do not buy a PP just because it’s a PP. Buy one because you love it and can afford it. Don’t buy one thinking you have to upgrade a ‘level’ later. What would ‘upgrade’ a level mean exactly?
Got you, makes sense actually.

How difficult is it to get any PP? Is it similar to Rolex these days that it’s quite impossible without “spend” history
Old 25 September 2022, 01:55 AM   #7
rollie_or_not
"TRF" Member

And also by entry level, I mean cheapest, since the watches are extremely expensive
Old 25 September 2022, 03:18 AM   #8
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Do not buy a watch just because it’s what you consider to be cheap.

If you do the maths you will soon see why they are hard to get.. 50-60,000 manufactured a year, 130 odd models, 450 odd dealers… Not all models are made in equal numbers…

A dealer who you have previously purchased from will be more friendly than if you just walk in. Small single outlet dealers can be snooty as they have no problem selling the handful they get in annually.

Do not get suckered into buying something you don’t want to get ‘on their list’. Lists are flexible and regulars may well move above you. They can also be used to keep you on the hook just in case they get one in and the intended customer changes their mind.

Unless you plan to buy another PP your ‘entry level’ watch will be the only one you own.

Remember, regular visits can be lucky as walk-ins at the right time - when the AD get their twice yearly stock in - can find you getting the one you want. It also reassures the AD you are serious.

Remember you are buying a Veblen Good so you have to be a little nuts or a watch fanatic or usually both - ask me how I know.
Old 25 September 2022, 03:58 AM   #9
FloridaBill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post

^^^ totally agree with this statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollie_or_not View Post
And also by entry level, I mean cheapest, since the watches are extremely expensive
Entry Level or Cheapest does NOT mean the same thing as Easiest to purchase an the Aquanaut SS is much less expensive than a PM Calatrava, but MUCH harder to purchase.

That said, a ladies watch Calatrava or Twenty-4 series is the easiest to obtain and for men, it is generally a Calatrava then a Complications

Perhaps a Gondola

Forget the Aquanaut or Nautilus or Grand Complications
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 08:40 AM   #10
gmuthu.tc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
My AD for a while had no men's Patek watches in stock. Have not checked lately. Many Patek ADs have websites showing their inventory such as Betteridge. If there is stock showing, just call and order one. I would not believe the wait is long if there is no stock, but who knows on that. It varies with the AD and the people they have in line.

Regarding Betteridge, I looked up their inventory after reading your post and having had visited them in person before. I saw 5205 so immediately called.

I spoke to their Vail store (no longer carries Patek) and their Aspen store. Per the 2 reps, their website is not reflective of their inventory but rather just examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gmuthu.tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 12:50 PM   #11
newonos
"TRF" Member

i pop in my local ad once in awhile and his website is true to stock. 1 preowned 5196 and a gondolo at moment.
newonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 12:54 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Welcome to the forum
X2
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 11:04 PM   #13
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Calatrava's have become hard to get as of about 1.5-2yrs ago. There is no "entry level" - with a Calatrava, you're basically buying the finest pure dress watch that money can buy.
Old 26 September 2022, 04:15 AM   #14
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Cheapest and entry level would be a 5167 but they won’t sell you one.
The aquanaut is more like a third or fifth PP.
The newer Calatrava 6119 in R or G will likely be the easiest to obtain on the less expensive side.
I would spend lots of time looking through the catalog and see what you love.
You may be able to get an annual calendar or perpetual calendar easier than a time only or time and date.
But if you want to stay on the low end maybe look at the 5227 or 5205.
Those seem to be more available than other men watches.
I visited an AD recently and all they had for sale were three ladies models, one of which was the 7234R which could be a mens watch at 37.5mm but the sticker price is around $50k.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 05:13 AM   #15
rollie_or_not
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
Cheapest and entry level would be a 5167 but they won’t sell you one.
The aquanaut is more like a third or fifth PP.
The newer Calatrava 6119 in R or G will likely be the easiest to obtain on the less expensive side.
I would spend lots of time looking through the catalog and see what you love.
You may be able to get an annual calendar or perpetual calendar easier than a time only or time and date.
But if you want to stay on the low end maybe look at the 5227 or 5205.
Those seem to be more available than other men watches.
I visited an AD recently and all they had for sale were three ladies models, one of which was the 7234R which could be a mens watch at 37.5mm but the sticker price is around $50k.
Thanks for your details answer! Which one would be best for “investment” also :)?
Old 26 September 2022, 05:16 AM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your details answer! Which one would be best for “investment” also :)?
When do you plan to sell?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 26 September 2022, 05:37 AM   #17
rollie_or_not
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When do you plan to sell?
I don’t plan to sell it, but I know that some models hold their retail value better then others
Old 26 September 2022, 05:43 AM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
I don’t plan to sell it, but I know that some models hold their retail value better then others
It is impossible to answer if you do not know when you plan to sell your investment
Old 26 September 2022, 06:04 AM   #19
rollie_or_not
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is impossible to answer if you do not know when you plan to sell your investment
Ok then let’s play with the thought that I wanted to sell it the same day? Which calatravas holds the best value if you look at the retail price compared to grey price
Old 26 September 2022, 06:08 AM   #20
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok then let’s play with the thought that I wanted to sell it the same day? Which calatravas holds the best value if you look at the retail price compared to grey price
Sell it the same day? None.

And back to your original question, without any spend history with an AD you will never get your watch
Old 26 September 2022, 06:14 AM   #21
rollie_or_not
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sell it the same day? None.

And back to your original question, without any spend history with an AD you will never get your watch
So there are no calatravas selling over retail price on Chrono24 etc?
Old 26 September 2022, 09:27 AM   #22
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Probably none that you could obtain in the short term. Watches are not investments in the financial sense just the emotional sense.
Old 26 September 2022, 09:32 AM   #23
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe, but what you may not be seeing is the difference between used retail and used wholesale. Dealers who sell a watch for whatever paid much less for it to make their needed profit margin to pay overhead and staff, even though they may charge over retail. If you are not well known with numerous references, it is very hard to come close to obtaining the price an established dealer could obtain on the same watch.
Old 26 September 2022, 07:38 PM   #24
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
OP, you seem to be looking to make a profit out of this. Joining the forum this month and asking about which Daytona configurations could still be obtainable and which entry level Patek won't lose value.

If you are a genuine collector just wanting to get hold of these pieces, I really feel for you, as it's nearly impossible with out a connection in an AD that has known you for like a decade, a family member owns an AD or you have a massive wallet and can just help the AD off load unwanted stock.

If you are just in it to try and flip for profit, unfortunately the boat has sailed on that one a few years ago.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 07:45 PM   #25
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Sadly you appear to be more interested in the ‘investment’ and price than the VALUE of the watch - that’s to say, how much you want to own it. The PP advertising slogan ought to give you a hint….. think about leaving it to your heirs!. There are some few models which have sparked off a craze and are in high demand which are therefore hard to get hold of. AD’s want to weed out flippers so they only sell those to customers they know. If they sniff out your seeming approach you would most likely be put on the ’wait’ (forever) list.

As I said above, PP’s are Veblen goods. PP don’t want to sell watches to dealers, their targets are owners and collectors. PP want to preserve a long term business not get on to a fashion or flipper roller coaster. Rarity and exclusivity is part of the appeal. It’s a tricky marketing problem for them.
Old 26 September 2022, 09:44 PM   #26
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
You can make good money if you can get Nautilus/Aquanaut at MSRP.

How will you be able to get? You need to find out by yourself.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 10:24 PM   #27
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
OP, you seem to be looking to make a profit out of this. Joining the forum this month and asking about which Daytona configurations could still be obtainable and which entry level Patek won't lose value.
This. It's also quite tiring to have people create the same threads over and over again instead of checking whether a topic has already been discussed.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 11:20 PM   #28
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Tiffany dials do, but they're unobtanium.
Old 30 September 2022, 02:09 PM   #29
kanwind
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
You can make good money if you can get Nautilus/Aquanaut at MSRP.

How will you be able to get? You need to find out by yourself.
If it is that easy to get easy money, I will do it myself instead of tell others on forum for free
kanwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 11:02 PM   #30
Doc Olives
"TRF" Member

If the OP is wanting to consider some of the more “undervalued” (i.e., haven’t had crazy price run ups), I would consider some of the vintage steel pieces (like a 3419) or neo-vintage (like some of the ellipse models). No bargains, but far less craziness. Also highly recommend spending some time on the collectability website if the OP wants some serious Patek knowledge. Cheers.
Doc Olives is offline   Reply With Quote