The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 June 2022, 06:31 PM   #1
AKlimey
"TRF" Member

Stolen and recovered 1958 Air King

Hi Guys, I am new here. I just recovered my late fathers 1958 Air King. Before it was stolen it had engraving on the back that said my fathers name, his birthday and where he was(Singapore doing his national service)
The C*** that stole it ground this off as well as taking out some links from the bracelet.
I would like to get the watch serviced as well as some scratches taken out of the crystal. Any recommendations on where to send it in the US?
Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AirKing.jpg (288.5 KB, 656 views)
AKlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 11:39 PM   #2
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Glad you got it back! Great watch, has the 'better' movement to make a super precision and the 369 dials are somewhat rare. Glad it's back home!
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 01:27 AM   #3
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Send it to Phillip Ridley. He will get you sorted out. Glad you got the watch back.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 01:47 AM   #4
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Even not whole, it is great you got it back - that is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
Send it to Phillip Ridley. He will get you sorted out. Glad you got the watch back.
I will echo this. I have a watch recently serviced by Phillip and it was very well done. Once i get my crap together I have one or two more to send out.

ridleywatchmakers.com
Old 2 June 2022, 06:35 AM   #5
Gaff65
"TRF" Member

Just messaged you Ridley's contact info. He's the man for the job.
Gaff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 06:48 AM   #6
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Hope that SoB rots in prison!
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 07:23 AM   #7
AKlimey
"TRF" Member

This is a shot of my dads watch and mine. We are/were both commercial pilots. Would you guys get the engraving re done on the case back or leave it as part of the watches story??
Also can anyone give me a rough idea what I should be listing its value for insurance.
Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C8851881-D0C8-4806-998D-ED6F37C8A4DB.jpeg (52.5 KB, 541 views)
Old 2 June 2022, 07:51 AM   #8
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I believe Phillip can help with an appraisal too in the event you use him for servicing the watch. He did mine too! Very happy with his work, he's very good at what he does. The bracelet looks like it could do with a rebuild in which case you might look up www.rolliworks.com. Links can be found on EBAY or if you are not confident about sourcing you could ask Mike at Rolliworks or even Phillip if they can source some extra links. The crystal is a consumable part so you can either replace or try using some Polywatch to remove the scratches on the acrylic. McGuire's Plastic headlight polish (track auto parts, pep boys, etc…) actually works very well too. I've used both with exactly the same results. You definitely get more with McGuire's for a fraction of the cost.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 09:15 AM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKlimey View Post
I just recovered my late fathers 1958 Air King. Before it was stolen it had engraving on the back that said my fathers name, his birthday and where he was (Singapore doing his national service)
Come on, you can't tell half the story without revealing how you got it back...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 09:48 AM   #10
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Congratulations on getting your Father's watch back! It's going to be wonderful to wear it after you have it repaired!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 11:19 AM   #11
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Come on, you can't tell half the story without revealing how you got it back...
Agreed. It’s always nice to hear a story with a happy ending!

Is there any trace at all of the old engraving? If so I might try to redo it.

Nice 3-6-9 dial!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 11:48 AM   #12
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Sounds like a bad divorce?

I second Ridley
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 07:11 PM   #13
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
sounds like it was taken from someone the op knew
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 03:13 PM   #14
AKlimey
"TRF" Member

Its kind of a long story...
I have been working overseas and our household belongings were in 2 secure storage units. One with furniture and house hold stuff and a smaller one with tools, outdoor gear, hunting&fishing stuff and a big 800 pound gun safe stashed in the back with guns, documents and valuables, (including the watch) in it.

Im in Chijna right before the pandemic finishing up a trip and I get a phone call that there was a break in at facility. This is a few days after the fact. I end up flying back and get home a week after it had happened. Everything is gone for my smaller locker including the safe.

There are pictures of this turd and 3 friends removing this on a Sunday when no one was around. They got into 4 units total with mine being one.
Police had a name as to who it was but had not caught him.

I was very angry and started driving the neighborhoods nearby the storage facility. After a short while I found what looked like the trailer they used to slide the gun safe onto parked on the street, with a bunch of crap piled on it. It had a flat tire. I parked down the street and walked back to it. It had a big tarp covering something on the bottom... It was the safe.

Right across the street was an apartment building with a bunch of turds loitering on a Monday morning. I did not dig into the trailer right then as they were watching.

I walked back to the car and called police. While sitting in car watching the trailer, I had to move a few times as the turds were getting suspicious. The main turd(who we shall call bearded turd) and of whom I had a picture, legally entering the storage facility with a code as his mum rented a unit there, walked across the street and re-covered the corner of the safe with the tarp which I had uncovered.

Longest 5 minutes of my life, but I finally convinced the po-po this was important and I was not leaving...

First officer showed up and from a distance I showed his the pictures I had of Bearded turd, his car, the trailer and some of his turd friends, 5 cop cars later everyone is in cuffs.

Safe had been cut into(presumably with my angle grinder they stole) everything gone.

I told the officer the only thing I cannot replace is my dads watch please keep an eye out for it. I get a phone call from the off duty officer that night, just letting me know that when he booked bearded turd and he emptied his pockets my watch was there, he obtained a search warrant and recovered it.

Its been almost 2 years in lock up now and I just had to get a court order to get it back. Sorry its such a long story.
Old 3 June 2022, 10:10 PM   #15
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Its been almost 2 years in lock up now and I just had to get a court order to get it back. Sorry its such a long story.
Glad you got this back.

So in 1 week time this guy even managed to resize the bracelet and take off the engraving?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 11:55 PM   #16
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
That’s an amazing story. The odds of you ever getting the watch back were close to zero. Congratulations. I personally would not get it re-engraved. The scuffs on the back are part of the watch’s story. Leave it IMHO.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 02:22 AM   #17
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Hope he didn’t use the grinder or take off the engraving! I’d have the case back refinished but not reengraved. Or maybe have reengraved with your details. You don’t want what’s there reminding you of bearded turd, rather than your old man. Glad you got it back. You’re in the small minority of people in your situation.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 10:58 AM   #18
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Wow! That’s amazing! I admire your persistence in getting your special watch back.

In that case, if the lack of engraving reminds you more of the theft than of your dad’s legacy, I’d get it re-engraved. I don’t keep dings in my cars to remind me of my scrapes….
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 11:44 AM   #19
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Good for you. You don’t steal a man’s watch
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 12:32 PM   #20
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Great story.
Old 7 June 2022, 09:30 PM   #21
joli160

You did all the right things
Glad you got your watch back.

I would re-engrave it, would be great if you have a picture so it can be copied.
Go for hand engraving. It looks so much better
Old 7 June 2022, 09:46 PM   #22
PekWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing this. And i am happy that your heirloom is safe.

Quote:
I have been working overseas and our household belongings were in 2 secure storage units. One with furniture and house hold stuff and a smaller one with tools, outdoor gear, hunting&fishing stuff and a big 800 pound gun safe stashed in the back with guns, documents and valuables, (including the watch) in it.

Im in Chijna right before the pandemic finishing up a trip and I get a phone call that there was a break in at facility. This is a few days after the fact. I end up flying back and get home a week after it had happened. Everything is gone for my smaller locker including the safe.

There are pictures of this turd and 3 friends removing this on a Sunday when no one was around. They got into 4 units total with mine being one.
Police had a name as to who it was but had not caught him.

I was very angry and started driving the neighborhoods nearby the storage facility. After a short while I found what looked like the trailer they used to slide the gun safe onto parked on the street, with a bunch of crap piled on it. It had a flat tire. I parked down the street and walked back to it. It had a big tarp covering something on the bottom... It was the safe.

Right across the street was an apartment building with a bunch of turds loitering on a Monday morning. I did not dig into the trailer right then as they were watching.

I walked back to the car and called police. While sitting in car watching the trailer, I had to move a few times as the turds were getting suspicious. The main turd(who we shall call bearded turd) and of whom I had a picture, legally entering the storage facility with a code as his mum rented a unit there, walked across the street and re-covered the corner of the safe with the tarp which I had uncovered.

Longest 5 minutes of my life, but I finally convinced the po-po this was important and I was not leaving...

First officer showed up and from a distance I showed his the pictures I had of Bearded turd, his car, the trailer and some of his turd friends, 5 cop cars later everyone is in cuffs.

Safe had been cut into(presumably with my angle grinder they stole) everything gone.

I told the officer the only thing I cannot replace is my dads watch please keep an eye out for it. I get a phone call from the off duty officer that night, just letting me know that when he booked bearded turd and he emptied his pockets my watch was there, he obtained a search warrant and recovered it.

PekWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 09:46 PM   #23
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Wow, what a story, so glad you got it back
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2022, 07:01 AM   #24
cman63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1963 Air King
Wow what a story indeed. Amazing. I've got the same dial Air king in white. I'd be crushed if it vanished- particularly with such sentimental value.

Personally I'd re-engrave it, but with something poignant. Maybe your Dad's initials and yours? Or relevant dates? Or a phrase like... "Back where I belong", "This one stays in the family", or "Hands off!"
cman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 05:22 AM   #25
AKlimey
"TRF" Member

I cannot thank you guys enough for the Phillip Ridley recommendation. He was an absolute pleasure to work with and has done an amazing job. I would not hesitate to send any work his way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4BA26033-A26E-49AE-A446-CB1EE6641AB4.jpeg (74.1 KB, 201 views)
Old 17 September 2022, 05:25 AM   #26
AKlimey
"TRF" Member

Amazing
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C306FEC6-4CA7-4CC7-92DD-8B001A2D5FFF.jpeg (84.0 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpeg 52EA3AC9-4FB2-479A-933B-B6337186E184.jpeg (76.0 KB, 197 views)
Old 17 September 2022, 05:29 AM   #27
AKlimey
"TRF" Member

Thank you Phillip
Old 17 September 2022, 05:34 AM   #28
Wolfgang427

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
That's a heck of story. Glad you got it back, it looks amazing.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 05:46 AM   #29
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Looks fantastic. Glad it’s been returned and fixed up to such a high level.
Old 17 September 2022, 05:53 AM   #30
winst
"TRF" Member

Stunning Watch!
winst is offline   Reply With Quote