The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 6 July 2022, 11:47 PM   #1
wclowe
Banned

Prices slump by up to 50% for discontinued Rolex watches (Watchpro)

Interesting data and analysis:

https://www.watchpro.com/prices-slum...rolex-watches/

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 7 July 2022, 12:25 AM   #2
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

I saw this too. The crazy prices for recently discontinued models have gone down a lot, but still quite a bit above their original MRSP.
Old 7 July 2022, 12:42 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclowe View Post
Interesting data and analysis:

https://www.watchpro.com/prices-slum...rolex-watches/

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarychicken View Post
I saw this too. The crazy prices for recently discontinued models have gone down a lot, but still quite a bit above their original MRSP.
This was a forum started mainly for about the history and watches made by the RWC over the past 100 odd years. Now today Rolex watches have become little more than ££$$€€ object things and nothing more. The history of the brand has gone, now its value this or that, and silly nicknames, or worring and fretting over the slightest scratch, or a second or so out of 86400 seconds in a day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 7 July 2022, 12:49 AM   #4
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

The headline isn't really borne out by the data, a bit like when you see "SALE! up to X% off". It usually turns out that the thing you actually want to buy is reduced by only a small fraction of X. Makes a great clickbait headline, though.

I thought these "investment" threads were against TRF rules. I would have thought grownups could research prices of watches themselves, but hey.
Old 7 July 2022, 12:58 AM   #5
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
The headline isn't really borne out by the data, a bit like when you see "SALE! up to X% off". It usually turns out that the thing you actually want to buy is reduced by only a small fraction of X. Makes a great clickbait headline, though.

I thought these "investment" threads were against TRF rules. I would have thought grownups could research prices of watches themselves, but hey.
I would imagine that when prices stabilize and come back to normal and people can buy whatever models they want then discussions of prices will probably cease to exist. It’s no different than energy prices. Lots of other forums that’s a major topic of discussion but once they come back to normal it won’t be so much.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 July 2022, 12:58 AM   #6
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Quote:

After years of threads pumping the rise, I enjoy some threads about the end of the insanity. Maybe in six months people can get the watch they want after some reasonable wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 July 2022, 01:12 AM   #7
CoolCat#7208
Banned

Watch prices are all over the place at the moment because of the economic macro. This is not exclusive to the watch market, it's everywhere.

Speculative grey dealers (mostly inexperienced) spent the last 3-4yrs filling their stock boxes up and now they have nowhere to go because most of them have no liquidity to do anything day by day. Hence why prices are falling because there are more sellers than buyers right now. Times are tough for most people now and less are looking to make luxury purchases.

Like anything, if prices start to feel ridiculous (£30k+ for 41mm OP) then apologies but I don't feel too sorry for you for buying if you bought for an InVeStmEnT.
Anyone buying watches purely from an investment perspective is likely to get burned at some point.
Buy what you like. Buy from an AD and relax, or buy from the Grey Market but prepare to be upset when that number goes down.
Old 7 July 2022, 01:17 AM   #8
Heady Topper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This was a forum started mainly for about the history and watches made by the RWC over the past 100 odd years. Now today Rolex watches have become little more than ££$$€€ object things and nothing more. The history of the brand has gone, now its value this or that, and silly nicknames, or worring and fretting over the slightest scratch, or a second or so out of 86400 seconds in a day.
Old 7 July 2022, 01:22 AM   #9
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yea show me a nice 5 digit sub or gmt that has dropped in value at all…..they haven’t…..maybe stop going up but not dropped
Old 7 July 2022, 01:26 AM   #10
59_Burst
"TRF" Member

"Data shared by..Chonext"- Mean WHAt exactly??

Auction Prices (doubtful)

Asking prices on Chrono24 and TRF? (Most likely)

Asking ain't getting as the market is now showing. Did ANYONE actually pay $40K USD for Tiffany Blue OP?
Old 7 July 2022, 01:27 AM   #11
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
padi56 should be a moderator on all watch forums.

Old 7 July 2022, 01:30 AM   #12
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
Doesn’t matter if it drop to free.
In Singapore we have zero, “kosong” OP31/36/41 of any color in all AD.
Before sub-prime, before C19, before WnW, after BitCoin collapse all same to us mere mortals without zillions of RMB or Rupiah.
Not unless u have Salem family name or your grandparents/parents are current/former CCP Pulitburo
Old 7 July 2022, 01:33 AM   #13
NimbleNavigator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why do you keep complaining and coming back here everyday then? I remember last year you wanted to retire. Must be a glutton for punishment. And what value do you add with constant complaining?
Old 7 July 2022, 01:39 AM   #14
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleNavigator View Post
Why do you keep complaining and coming back here everyday then? I remember last year you wanted to retire. Must be a glutton for punishment. And what value do you add with constant complaining?
Why are you so bothered by what his opinions are?
Old 7 July 2022, 01:41 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Can assure you added more value over the past 17 odd years than yourself, I am entitled to my opinion if you dont like my opinion dont reply its that simple.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 7 July 2022, 01:47 AM   #16
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
All due respect, you have been here for a few years you should know who Peter is and what he brings to this community. He is 100% correct, as this forum should be used for gaining knowledge on the brand, and talk amongst friends rather than discussing prices and valuations all day.
Old 7 July 2022, 02:06 AM   #17
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
I am amazed that people don't get this.
Old 7 July 2022, 02:13 AM   #18
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
padi56 should be a moderator on all watch forums.

Old 7 July 2022, 02:14 AM   #19
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Try showing a little respect. Or ignore the posts.
Old 7 July 2022, 02:21 AM   #20
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
All due respect, you have been here for a few years you should know who Peter is and what he brings to this community. He is 100% correct, as this forum should be used for gaining knowledge on the brand, and talk amongst friends rather than discussing prices and valuations all day.
Brother and this was a forum designed to talk about Corvettes and all of a sudden for whatever reason the price of the Corvettes doubled, tripled and in some cases even quadrupled I assure you it would be a major point of topic. Having said that I do look forward to never talking about prices again because that would mean they’ve come back to normal. You do get my point though. I also understand it’s been beaten to death.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 July 2022, 02:27 AM   #21
Heady Topper
Banned

Quote:
Can assure you added more value over the past 17 odd years than yourself, I am entitled to my opinion if you dont like my opinion dont reply its that simple.
It's redundant, repetitive and I just feel bad for you cause it doesn't seem enjoyable. You can also stay clear of threads discussing this the same way you ask others to ignore your posts.

It's unfortunate that after 17 years, your TRF persona is now this, but hey, that's just my opinion.
Old 7 July 2022, 02:37 AM   #22
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Brother and this was a forum designed to talk about Corvettes and all of a sudden for whatever reason the price of the Corvettes doubled, tripled and in some cases even quadrupled I assure you it would be a major point of topic. Having said that I do look forward to never talking about prices again because that would mean they’ve come back to normal. You do get my point though. I also understand it’s been beaten to death.
I don’t know, I haven’t seen a ton of that in the major Porsche forums, despite their meteoric rise in prices. I guess the difference is that car forums have a ton of other mechanical issues to talk and ask about, but not many here fix their own watches.
Old 7 July 2022, 02:58 AM   #23
Fred_Tan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I don’t know, I haven’t seen a ton of that in the major Porsche forums, despite their meteoric rise in prices. I guess the difference is that car forums have a ton of other mechanical issues to talk and ask about, but not many here fix their own watches.
Now this explain why I can’t even find any short wheel based Porsche at 10x the current price
Old 7 July 2022, 03:14 AM   #24
Fred_Tan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Now this explain why I can’t even find any short wheel base Porsche at 10x the current price
Old 7 July 2022, 03:36 AM   #25
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Really? Prices going down on discontinued models?
I have been trying to snag a decent 16570 for some time now, I do not see prices dropping that would make me want to jump in.
Old 7 July 2022, 03:56 AM   #26
Fred_Tan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
I have been trying to snag a decent 16570 for some time now, I do not see prices dropping that would make me want to jump in.
Ditto. Sounds like loads of c*** to me.
Wait till total lockdown and zero C19 policy is lifted in China and we shall see
Old 7 July 2022, 04:12 AM   #27
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Phew. I almost traded my house in Nantucket for 5 “Tiffany” OP 41s and a handful of John Mayer Daytonas. Glad I didn’t. Close call.
Old 7 July 2022, 04:28 AM   #28
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
I for one am all for this forum getting back to discussing watches and their history, design, function and form.

Secondary prices may go up long term, they may go down. Ignore c24 as loads of greedy dealers are just that - greedy and chancers eg asking 25 per cent over retail for a black bay gmt that can be had at retail immediately in almost any dealer worldwide and has been for two years at least.

Prices falling is good for collectors - I’m all for it and it’ll take time to reflect online prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 July 2022, 04:36 AM   #29
VegasBaby
Banned

Most of the newer members, complaining about the crazy prices of the past two years and whining about how they can’t afford to buy Rolex are now not interested as prices are dropping. Truly, they had no interest in these watches other than for the potential profit they they missed out on by flipping. They’re not interested in buying a Daytona $50,000 nor at $25,000.
Old 7 July 2022, 05:02 AM   #30
link517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
This analysis is on OP models which are normally available at retail. These are peak hype models with their colorful dials. I sort of cringe when someone thinks they scored a major deal because they got an OP from an AD. Buy what you like, and if you don't like the OP knowing it's worth 50% of retail, maybe you should have worried more about your preferences than scoring a deal.

It's similar to when I saw someone trying to offload three two-tone yachtmaster IIs. How did you end up with three of these and what was your thesis for the resale?
Closed Thread