The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 September 2022, 11:46 PM   #1
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Crooked tiffany stamp

I am looking at the aquanaut in the for sale forum and it looks like the Tiffany stamp is crooked……because there’s a line right above it it’s easy to see…….is quality control that crappy?
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 11:56 PM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

Saw that as well. Fat_ninja on here had a 5711/1R with a crooked stamp. Not uncommon it seems...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...light=fatninja
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 12:03 AM   #3
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
One thing that comes with hand-finished and crafted goods is imperfection. That imperfection, IMO, is more character building than a flawless product.
Old 17 September 2022, 12:11 AM   #4
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
It's not crooked. The "T" is always larger than the rest of the letters. The "C" in Co is in line with the rest of the Tiffany.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 12:38 AM   #5
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

All Pateks look much better without additional branding on the dial.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 12:43 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 01:36 AM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
It's not crooked. The "T" is always larger than the rest of the letters. The "C" in Co is in line with the rest of the Tiffany.
I agree that the stamp often only appears crooked as a result of the "T" being larger. But in this case the T stamp is crooked. Forget about the "T" (cover it up if you wish) and you will see that the rest of the same-size letters up to the "C" are dropping against the line above.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 02:40 AM   #8
mykii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Disagree. . While the Tiffany stamp doesn't suit all references, there are many where I think it is cosmetically a value-add. Typically, models that receive it in a subdial (e.g. the 5196's small seconds) benefit, vs those where there is a lot of empty space on the dial (e.g. 5227, for an apples-to-apples comp in the Calatrava catalogue). Plus, its really all about the rarity in collecting something that is already rare. Only 1% of PPs get the Tiffany treatment, and you're either part of that club or you are not. Sorry, but the premium is there for a reason.
Old 17 September 2022, 02:57 AM   #9
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
Disagree. . While the Tiffany stamp doesn't suit all references, there are many where I think it is cosmetically a value-add. Typically, models that receive it in a subdial (e.g. the 5196's small seconds) benefit, vs those where there is a lot of empty space on the dial (e.g. 5227, for an apples-to-apples comp in the Calatrava catalogue). Plus, its really all about the rarity in collecting something that is already rare. Only 1% of PPs get the Tiffany treatment, and you're either part of that club or you are not. Sorry, but the premium is there for a reason.
The premium is there because people are buying into the hype, as clearly you have - so what if a piece was retailed by Tiffany. If you think this makes it a better piece than one sold down the road by another AD then fair enough, personally I would put the extra money you are happy to pay into a better Patek or Pateks. But each to their own.
Old 17 September 2022, 03:01 AM   #10
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Saw that as well. Fat_ninja on here had a 5711/1R with a crooked stamp. Not uncommon it seems...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...light=fatninja
Probably the wrong question to ask, but why is Fat_Ninja banned from the forum? Would be great to see an esteemed collector on the forum again.

With regards to Tiffany stamps, the premium is simply not worth to acquire one on the grey market. It’s still the same movement, same case, same material as the ones without the stamp.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 05:44 AM   #11
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Fat ninjas was definitely crooked. Reminded me of people putting car badges on their cars without a template.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 07:52 AM   #12
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Probably the wrong question to ask, but why is Fat_Ninja banned from the forum? Would be great to see an esteemed collector on the forum again.

With regards to Tiffany stamps, the premium is simply not worth to acquire one on the grey market. It’s still the same movement, same case, same material as the ones without the stamp.
he is also off IG maybe moved on with his real life :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 09:33 AM   #13
drefrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Think as you will as to the Tiffany dials but I've noticed that a number of them appear crooked. Maybe this is/was some sort of optical illusion but for me, it doesn't enhance their desirability.
drefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 10:21 AM   #14
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No Tiffany’s are crooked…it’s the Watch that’s crooked…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 07:22 PM   #15
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The premium is there because people are buying into the hype, as clearly you have - so what if a piece was retailed by Tiffany. If you think this makes it a better piece than one sold down the road by another AD then fair enough, personally I would put the extra money you are happy to pay into a better Patek or Pateks. But each to their own.
Collecting, by its very nature, is about buying into the hype. Nautilus hype, Aquanaut hype, Patek hype, wrist watch hype. Why draw the line (even if it's crooked) at Tiffany double signed Pateks. It's completely arbitrary when you've already drunk the Kool-aid.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 11:23 PM   #16
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
Plus, its really all about the rarity in collecting something that is already rare. Only 1% of PPs get the Tiffany treatment, and you're either part of that club or you are not. Sorry, but the premium is there for a reason.
On the one hand, I do get that: fewer Patek watches with Tiffany stamp than without it. On the other hand, besides the turquoise 5711 "sendoff" edition, none of them were otherwise exclusive to Tiffany, so it's just an indication on the watch itself of what retailer sold it. One could say, for example, that a PP with a certificate stamped by Shreve in SF is now "rare" in the same way since it's one fo the country's oldest PP dealers and there will never be any more.

Not arguing one way or the other, just giving my perspectives on both sides .

What I will say, though, is that "collectability" aside, I'd prefer my watch not have the retailer's stamp on the dial from a "what I'd want to wear" point of view.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 12:03 AM   #17
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
he is also off IG maybe moved on with his real life :)
Ahhhh! Such a shame. Hope he comes back again.
Old 18 September 2022, 12:12 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I understand at one time the Tiffany logo is put on by the Patek owned distributors/importers and not at the factory. Customers can request it or not type thing when ordering at Tiffany.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 02:52 AM   #19
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Collecting, by its very nature, is about buying into the hype. Nautilus hype, Aquanaut hype, Patek hype, wrist watch hype. Why draw the line (even if it's crooked) at Tiffany double signed Pateks. It's completely arbitrary when you've already drunk the Kool-aid.
As I said, each to their own. But I do draw the line at paying a premium for a co-branded Patek that for me detracts rather than adds to the piece.
Old 18 September 2022, 10:35 PM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post

He had a napoleon complex and was easier to wind up than a big pilot. He’s was not an esteemed collector but rather a hedge fund guy that bought watches for investments.
Old 19 September 2022, 12:11 AM   #21
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
He had a napoleon complex and was easier to wind up than a big pilot. He’s was not an esteemed collector but rather a hedge fund guy that bought watches for investments.
Ahhhh! Fair enough. I remember my very first few times on TRF, I saw him having the whole set of SS Nautilus. That’s how I recognise the username. Thanks for the reply. I won’t hijack this thread further
Old 19 September 2022, 06:46 AM   #22
mykii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
On the one hand, I do get that: fewer Patek watches with Tiffany stamp than without it. On the other hand, besides the turquoise 5711 "sendoff" edition, none of them were otherwise exclusive to Tiffany, so it's just an indication on the watch itself of what retailer sold it. One could say, for example, that a PP with a certificate stamped by Shreve in SF is now "rare" in the same way since it's one fo the country's oldest PP dealers and there will never be any more.

Not arguing one way or the other, just giving my perspectives on both sides .

What I will say, though, is that "collectability" aside, I'd prefer my watch not have the retailer's stamp on the dial from a "what I'd want to wear" point of view.
All fair points and balanced. For me, the stamp is about history and rarity. Aside from certain models where I think the Tiffany logo is a positive aesthetic add (as noted above in my prior post, typically models where the stamp is in a subdial), I'd mostly agree. I'd take a Shreve's PP if it were an option though and it were historically significant to the brand, as is the Tiffany stamp.

In my mind, it is a rare adage now long-gone from most of watch making. The fact that the Tiffany relationship continues, and is more or less exclusive in the world of PP, adds to the historical significance of the brand from a collectability standpoint.

Quote:
It isn't hype - most around here would probably attest to that. It was around long-before the current flex/hype culture, and will be around longer than IG will likely be here. At the end of the day, it is entirely about rarity. What is there to argue about here? It's on 1% of PPs, therefore more exclusive. It is an ultra-competitive tender process where less than 1% off people requesting one will ever get one. That is a compounding fact that adds to the rarity, along with the fact that the far, far, far, majority of these watches never leave private collections.

No one is saying it is a fundamentally different watch .

And, on the latter, we agree. Rather than pay the premium for a Tiffany model, I'd rather put that money to work elsewhere. But if offered a Tiffany model at retail? Well, that is a no brainer.
Old 19 September 2022, 07:26 AM   #23
jsobral
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5164R-5167R-5107R
Quote:
I think the the same, might as well say Wallmart on the dial.
jsobral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 07:16 PM   #24
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsobral View Post
I think the the same, might as well say Wallmart on the dial.
I would definitely pay a premium for a Patek that was double signed "Wallmart". Less of a premium if it was signed "Walmart", but still a premium.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote