The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 June 2019, 07:14 AM   #61
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFish View Post
Don`t wear, don`t sell! Collector not speculator!
Pension fund haha
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:54 AM   #62
Mcfly3
"TRF" Member

Might as well just rename the forum “Stock”forums.... because that’s basically all that’ people care about is how much is my watch going to be worth in 2040....
Mcfly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:02 AM   #63
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfly3 View Post
Might as well just rename the forum “Stock”forums.... because that’s basically all that’ people care about is how much is my watch going to be worth in 2040....
You can care about the value of an item and still enjoy it.
Old 13 June 2019, 08:03 AM   #64
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
this current situation reminds me of baseball cards in the 80's.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:31 AM   #65
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Batman may be forever but not the inflated price of today
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 02:22 PM   #66
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If people cared about their retirement values as much as they care about their absurdly mass produced modern Rolex values, we would be better off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 02:28 PM   #67
Lol-x
Facilitator

To me its just a Black/Blue GMT, sure it looks fine, but so do other colour GMT's.

Rolex appears to be 'perpetuating' the original Blue/Black with the new model containing the new movement and the jubilee bracelet.

My query would be can the Jubilee bracelet be sustainable? The Jubilee is great for a while, but after that one has a strong urge to wear an Oyster bracelet.

Jubilee bracelets were once the provence of more senior individuals who typically wore jubilees stretched like a piano-accordion.

Are those wearing the new Blue/Black jubilee going to be the next generation of geriatrics with stretched and dangling GMT's slapping sloppily on their wrists???

I think so.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 02:48 PM   #68
johnjm
"TRF" Member

The mentality in this thread makes me ill.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2019, 03:17 PM   #69
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
It can go either way for me. I have a brand new stickered 116710, if it goes up, happy days, if it drops I can peel off the stickers and wear it as intended, still happy days.
You should do just that....life is too short
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 03:40 PM   #70
JPMickB83
"TRF" Member

This type of question needs to be timebound to some degree, as the current assumptions and trends will no doubt change beyond five to ten years in ways we can’t comprehend, and a market-fracturing event is also likely. So, assuming a max 10-year horizon, I see three scenarios, each as likely as the next:

1) The stock/housing market takes a massive hit and we have an implosion like we did in 2008. We’ll see a massive increase in supply as “collectors” are forced to sell off their pieces to make ends meet. Luxury goods are always the first to go, for obvious reasons. Chances are this wouldn’t happen until at least five years out, which means Rolex MSRP prices will have gone up. History has shown us that the popular models rarely dip below the current MSRP. The average selling price might revert back to $8-10k, but the Catch 22 is that the average Joe won’t have the expendable cash to buy the piece at the “discounted” rate when they’re struggling to put food on the table.

2) To combat grey market pricing and counterfeits, Rolex decides to massively increase prices on stainless steel models and implements a program to confirm authenticity (similar to Vacheron‘s new Block Chain serial number system). MSRP on a new BLNR is now $18k. Demand drops and the 116710BLNR stabilizes in the $10-12k range, as perfect fakes are available and authenticity verification becomes nearly impossible for non-Block chain models.

3) Rolex makes a huge misstep and irreparably devalues their brand image. Owning a Rolex is seen as having poor taste and the market is in turn flooded. Prices plummet but demand dries up as buyers flock to whatever the replacement is.

In the end, I’m just glad I got my Batman a couple years ago for MSRP. :)
JPMickB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 04:44 PM   #71
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

It's done almost as well as a Daytona!
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 10:45 PM   #72
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm View Post
The mentality in this thread makes me ill.

Yeah I hear you but:

For lots of people their most costly purchases are likely to be:

1. The house
2. The car
3 (Possibly) a grey purchase Rolex. A lot of nerves can come with that. I assume that a fair portion are well intentioned and just need a little hand holding. If if gives you the dry heaves- look away.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 12:50 AM   #73
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
Yeah I hear you but:

For lots of people their most costly purchases are likely to be:

1. The house

2. The car

3 (Possibly) a grey purchase Rolex. A lot of nerves can come with that. I assume that a fair portion are well intentioned and just need a little hand holding. If if gives you the dry heaves- look away.
Rolex is being treated like a commodity. I miss the days of just wearing a nice watch.

And those that put this into the same category of buying a house or car are going to get burnt. Similar to gambling, if you can't afford to lose anything then dont do it. OP sounds like this.

Old 14 June 2019, 12:58 AM   #74
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano1937 View Post
The title says it all will the BLNR keep increasing? Prices haven’t seemed to moved will it be a good time to buy now or will they fall ?

No it's going to tank in price
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 02:10 AM   #75
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Quote:
Rolex is being treated like a commodity. I miss the days of just wearing a nice watch.
Rolex investment is just another term for impulse buy. An internet buying frenzy by someone who spends all day on line window shopping has to be justified somehow, right?

I wear mine as watches and don't look at them as an investment or commodity at all. They are just fancy trinkets that I like to waste money on.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 02:52 AM   #76
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
SS Rolex are a commodity......
jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 03:02 AM   #77
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

To many buyers and owners Rolex are nothing more than a fashion accessory, and for those types, fashions come and go. As quick as these buyers are to own them, they'll eventually switch to something else as the fashions change. Rolex won't always be in vogue like it is today for everyone because of this.
The question is, what percentage of these sales are being driven by the fashion concious who will inevitably move on and dump them on the market in the process?
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 09:30 AM   #78
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Quote:

And those that put this into the same category of buying a house or car are going to get burnt.

Luxury good or not it is:
a. Likely a significant purchase
b. Very much like owing a car - with depreciation on car more pronounced.
Old 14 June 2019, 10:35 AM   #79
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I think it’s simple and if we learned anything from history we see the 16710 prices today after having gone through the 2008 crises and after the release of new Pepsi and after the introduction of other “hot” watches, these watches know only ONE direction........ UP
Old 14 June 2019, 10:44 AM   #80
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMickB83 View Post
This type of question needs to be timebound to some degree, as the current assumptions and trends will no doubt change beyond five to ten years in ways we can’t comprehend, and a market-fracturing event is also likely. So, assuming a max 10-year horizon, I see three scenarios, each as likely as the next:

1) The stock/housing market takes a massive hit and we have an implosion like we did in 2008. We’ll see a massive increase in supply as “collectors” are forced to sell off their pieces to make ends meet. Luxury goods are always the first to go, for obvious reasons. Chances are this wouldn’t happen until at least five years out, which means Rolex MSRP prices will have gone up. History has shown us that the popular models rarely dip below the current MSRP. The average selling price might revert back to $8-10k, but the Catch 22 is that the average Joe won’t have the expendable cash to buy the piece at the “discounted” rate when they’re struggling to put food on the table.

2) To combat grey market pricing and counterfeits, Rolex decides to massively increase prices on stainless steel models and implements a program to confirm authenticity (similar to Vacheron‘s new Block Chain serial number system). MSRP on a new BLNR is now $18k. Demand drops and the 116710BLNR stabilizes in the $10-12k range, as perfect fakes are available and authenticity verification becomes nearly impossible for non-Block chain models.

3) Rolex makes a huge misstep and irreparably devalues their brand image. Owning a Rolex is seen as having poor taste and the market is in turn flooded. Prices plummet but demand dries up as buyers flock to whatever the replacement is.

In the end, I’m just glad I got my Batman a couple years ago for MSRP. :)
I see none of these happening. I would hate for #1 to happen as i for one would like to see the economy to keep booming, #2 unlikely and #3 highly unlikely.

At least you have yours though!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 11:54 AM   #81
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Yes...forever.
Wheres the p01. I really want to see one.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 11:54 AM   #82
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
My AD told me the price was going to drop in the next week or so...
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 11:59 AM   #83
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Not For Sale.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 03:35 PM   #84
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
My AD told me the price was going to drop in the next week or so...
did he now?
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 03:49 PM   #85
maxymax
"TRF" Member

I get it if OP's question is in relation to buying one. If it's because he already has one, sorry, I will never understand that part! I for one never bother about my watch prices going down or up. I don't care as I don't intend to sell/flip any of them. May be a trade once I'm really bored with them. Otherwise, they are going to be inheritance to the juniors. I like something, it ticks my heart, I buy it (watches only )
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 03:57 PM   #86
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup. Enjoy the watch. If you call keeping the stickers on your Rolex enjoying it, you have issues.
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 04:39 PM   #87
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychief View Post
SS Rolex are a commodity......
As a graduate of the London School of Economics, I can tell you that stainless steel Rolex are not commodities. They are luxury consumer durables. Commodities are relatively undifferentiated inputs such as sugar and pork belly. Or put simply, metals, energy and livestock.

A commodity has low emotional involvement, low barriers to change of supplier, they are traded through a grading system and priced accordingly. Caviar is not caviar. Some sources remain price stable and Beluga tends to fluctuate for irrational reasons.

Rolex have become, by and large Veblen goods.

Commodities are unbranded $2 digital watches available at the Lo-Wu centre in Shenzhen.
Old 14 June 2019, 05:29 PM   #88
Deano1937
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
You can care about the value of an item and still enjoy it.

Exactly

Deano1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 07:54 PM   #89
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicurus View Post
Yup. Enjoy the watch. If you call keeping the stickers on your Rolex enjoying it, you have issues.
I don't see how you can make this judgement purely on that basis. For example, not everyone who buys a car buys it to drive. I've read that Charlie Watts from the Stones has a great car collection but doesn't have a driving licence so can't drive them, he just goes and looks at them. Apparently he even has suits made to match each car and puts the suit on just to sit in them. It's no issue really is it, he's not doing himself or anybody else any harm for that matter, it's just his hobby.