The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 26 June 2019, 02:41 AM   #1
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Marinemaster 300 vs submariner

Hi guys,

I’m thinking of buying a Marinemaster 300 model sla021 for my sons birthday shortly. It looks a beautiful watch in the pictures, but I’m a bit concerned it’s 44mm which seems slightly large.

Does anyone have photos of it on the wrist along side a submariner so I could compare, please?

All the better Seiko Diver’s seem massive, so any thoughts on how it wears would be welcome!

Finally, I think he’d wear it on the rubber diver strap that comes with it - given it’s a heavy watch, does it feel top heavy on the rubber, or well balanced?

Thanks all! Rob.
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 03:54 AM   #2
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Rob, in my opinion it wears smaller than 44mm, it is however a tall heavy watch, I have a 6.5 inch wrist and it wears nicely, I do have a flat wrist though, a circular wrist may have problems, I dont know for sure but it is something I would think about. I haven't worn it on rubber so dont know for sure how it would wear, I always wear mine loose and low down on the wrist and it is fine.

I know its not a sub, but it the only pic I have got for comparison, it is a JLC ultra thin.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 04:00 AM   #3
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

As mentioned above it is tall. The actual diameter doesn’t wear as large because of the shorter lugs but it’s high on the wrist and that might bother some people. Still a great watch though. Just wont slip under any shirt cuffs anytime soon
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 04:35 AM   #4
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful watch and a piece of engineering. I have tried it out many times and got a chance to pickup a new last generation MM300 with deep discount but I didn't not pull the trigger because it was a tall watch and fell kind of chunky on my wrist, but yet I have 2 Seiko Tunas 1000m. Here's someone's review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbxh7WL0Qas
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 05:11 AM   #5
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I love the photos Dave, really shows the depth! Gives it a 3D feel. Certainly a dramatic contrast to the JLC!

I can see both sides to the height issue, I like the depth/ 3D feel visually, but can see in practice it may feel top heavy.

I’ll have to hunt one down and see how it feels in the flesh ..

Once again, thanks all for your input.
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 06:53 AM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

If it’s a choice between the two, I would choose the sub. Classic, timeless, and will wear better on a smaller wrist IMO. Even though lugs are short, the MM just feels massive on my 6.75 inch mildly rounded wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 02:41 PM   #7
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
It is according to what Sub you are comparing it to. The ceramic Sub wears wider than the MM imo, but the pre-ceramic Sub wears smaller than the MM.

Here is a pic of the MM on top of a 42mm Grand Seiko SBGX117
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtGsFbaHMpN/

In the long run the Sub will be worth more in value.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 08:38 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned the MM 019 and 021 and found them to be a lot of fun. They do not visually appear to be 44mm and they are tall. I think they are a great value and a lot of fun. I wore them on the bracelet and the strap and had no issues. You are talking about a 5-6k difference in the price of the MM and the Rolex Submariner. I don't think the difference justifies the price. As a middle ground look at the Omega Sea Master 300. Nice dial colors and it comes on a bracelet and a strap. They can be had in the last generation of 41mm or the newer 42mm. There are some great videos on YouTube discussing it and the Submariner and the discussion is put forth that it is as good or better at half the price. They may not be wrong. Go try them all and decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 09:32 AM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Marinemaster 300 vs submariner

Size-wise the MM does not wear like a 44, more like a 42, but it is thick (in a cool way).

My Sub is a 5-digit so not a real comparison if you’re referring to a modern ceramic Sub. My Sub wears slightly smaller, thinner and lighter as you might expect.

Both are very comfortable though. The adjustable clasp on the MM is brilliant.

(My wrist is 6.75” for reference)

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 03:08 PM   #10
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
I have the ceramic seadweller as well as the mm300 (sla021) and the presence of the mm300 is unmatched, as is the case finishing

Where rolex come out ahead is the bracelet/clasp quality and its relative thinness

My work doesnt require a work shirt, so i gravitate towards the seiko for most days

icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote