The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 October 2017, 01:38 PM   #1
s3lasinc
"TRF" Member

Case frame was replaced under warranty...

Just curious if anyone has a late model Rolex that had a case frame changed out by Rolex under warranty.

My question is:

1) Should I have been informed that Rolex will be replacing my case?
2) Does Rolex issue a matching new warranty card for the new case?

Details on my service interaction.

1. 10 weeks ago I noticed a little rust on the rehaut on SD4k.
2. Took it into the Rolex branded AD where it was purchased.
3. AD sent my sd4k along with the warranty card to Rolex Dallas
4. 7 weeks later, I was told that my watch has been fixed and everything was covered under warranty. During that conversation I was informed that my case and bracelet was lightly touched up. No notification that case was replaced.
5. Got the call to pick up my watch at the 9 week mark. Went to go get it. Looked over the watch during pick up. Everything looked great and even was surprised Rolex put plastic stickers case sides after polish. Got my watch and warranty card and off I went. (should've looked at warranty card)

Today, I received a letter from the AD with a unopened letter from Rolex indicating that Rolex Watch USA confirms that my case frame has been replaced and indicating that my old serial # was replaced with new serial #.
s3lasinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I would be more concerned how 904L Stainless Steel can go rusty???

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 02:49 PM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3lasinc View Post
. . .
1) If you want them to discuss service with you then you need to send it in yourself. They very likely provided the AD with an itemized list that was approved before they began work.

2) The letter should be kept with your warranty card to document the change.
Old 13 October 2017, 03:22 PM   #4
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Whenever there is a warranty job, they don't really give details of the work.....because they do not want everyone to know what was the fault.
It would be posted here, fb........and it affects the image.

Omega does the same. Comes back fixed under warranty and that is the end of it.
Old 13 October 2017, 08:46 PM   #5
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1) If you want them to discuss service with you then you need to send it in yourself. They very likely provided the AD with an itemized list that was approved before they began work.

Yes, do keep the letter. Having the itemised list would be nice as well.
Otherwise nothing to worry about.
Old 13 October 2017, 09:54 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Case frame was replaced under warranty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

IIRC, warranty service itself is the sole domain of RSC decision. The polishing (or a desire not to polish) would need to be expressly stated when the Watch is sent to RSC - in this case, stated to the AD who would pass that along to RSC.

As for the new s/n, as long as a new warranty card is issued I see little problem with that.

If I understand the OP, the rehaut was showing corrosion and that isn’t 904 SS I believe. So the symptom was corrosion and the cause could have been a case that was machined with poor threading of the midcase. There could also have been unevenness at the top such that the Crystal and bezel couldn’t seat correctly to pass the waterproofness tests.

Either way, a new midcase was their diagnosis to cure the defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 10:22 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
IIRC, warranty service itself is the sole domain of RSC decision. The polishing (or a desire not to polish) would need to be expressly stated when the Watch is sent to RSC - in this case, stated to the AD who would pass that along to RSC.

As for the new s/n, as long as a new warranty card is issued I see little problem with that.

If I understand the OP, the rehaut was showing corrosion and that isn’t 904 SS I believe. So the symptom was corrosion and the cause could have been a case that was machined with poor threading of the midcase. There could also have been unevenness at the top such that the Crystal and bezel couldn’t seat correctly to pass the waterproofness tests.

Either way, a new midcase was their diagnosis to cure the defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rehaute is part of the watch case so all 904L SS, myself have never heard of any corrosion especially on such a new watch,all I can say most probably a fault in the case ring manufacture from new.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 02:32 AM   #8
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
It could have been the actual dial corroding, and it bled over on the the rehaut?

Did they replace the dial as well?

I wouldn't personally worry about the case being replaced, as long as Rolex has a record of it being done and honors their warranty, it shouldn't be an issue.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 02:37 AM   #9
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3lasinc View Post
Just curious if anyone has a late model Rolex that had a case frame changed out by Rolex under warranty.

My question is:

Details on my service interaction.

1. 10 weeks ago I noticed a little rust on the rehaut on SD4k.
2. Took it into the Rolex branded AD where it was purchased.
3. AD sent my sd4k along with the warranty card to Rolex Dallas
4. 7 weeks later, I was told that my watch has been fixed and everything was covered under warranty. During that conversation I was informed that my case and bracelet was lightly touched up. No notification that case was replaced.
5. Got the call to pick up my watch at the 9 week mark. Went to go get it. Looked over the watch during pick up. Everything looked great and even was surprised Rolex put plastic stickers case sides after polish. Got my watch and warranty card and off I went. (should've looked at warranty card)

Today, I received a letter from the AD with a unopened letter from Rolex indicating that Rolex Watch USA confirms that my case frame has been replaced and indicating that my old serial # was replaced with new serial #.
Did they send you a new warranty card with the new s/n on it, or return the old with and just provide a letter? I'm curious how RSC handled that.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote