The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 March 2024, 02:17 AM   #91
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingparme View Post
It’s the variation of the 5270 3rd series. The 2nd series had chin meaning at 6 o’clock position, you see a semi circle protruding below like a “chin”

Oh, get it. Thank you for the learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 02:52 AM   #92
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just picking up this thread. Now fast forward to March 2024.

I used to have the 5270G non chin blue dial. I thought the sunburst blue with the white dial prints were beautiful! I let go of it because I find the watch thick and large (I have a 7 inch wrist). Felt like a pop swatch and once I had an opportunity to try on a 5970, at first I found the dial clustered. But over time, I grew towards the 5970 and liked less and less the 5270 as I couldn’t unsee the imbalance of the subdials below the center pignon and the large casing and protruding lugs. I agree that the in-house movement is superior in every way but I finally parted with it last year.

I just pulled the trigger yesterday on a trade-in for a 5970R (gave up my 5980/1A blue which has an amazing dial, the blue gradiant on the 5980 is to me more beautiful than on a 5711 but I let go of it because the 5980 is too bulky for me, and I also had to give up another beautiful piece, the blue one year only production 5230P world time (instead of my 5130P as I prefer the contrasting dial of the blue center and silver outer ring and the rounded shape of the 5130P case) plus hefty cash addition). But I have no regrets, sometimes consolidation is a good thing. I already have and still keeping my 5711 blue and 5130P so I got rid of 2 redundancies (a nautilus and a world time which i have double pieces of and fighting for wrist time).

All in all, it’s hard to argue from an aesthetic point of view between the 5270 and 5970. Both have their pull and push factors. But I am glad to have finally reached this part of my journey. The 5970 reference is to me perfection at it’s best. But you have to put the watch on your wrist and get the one that resonates with you. If you have an 8 inch wrist I would understand that a 5970 would look lost on your wrist. This was the reason I let go of 2 of my 3940s as they look really small on my wrist and never got wrist time but from an aesthetic perspective, the 3940s are also perfection pieces.

I have owed over 30 different Pateks at different points in time since I purchased my first Patek in the year 2000. And our tastes keep evolving. It’s the pleasure of the journey. At the end, someone quoted, the best watch is the one that is on your wrist and that gets ample wrist time for you to enjoy.

Very nice post - could also post some pics for comparison on your wrist?

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 11:22 AM   #93
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Very nice post - could also post some pics for comparison on your wrist?

Pingparme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 12:34 PM   #94
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What a beauty - stunning love the strap too

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote