The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2021, 02:37 AM   #1
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Airport security and removing watch

Someone made a post recently about flying and taking off your Rolex to go through security. In the last week I’ve flown 4 times and all but one time was I told to remove my watch. All the other times I kept it on my wrist. I can tell you that the one time I was told and I mean that she TOLD me to take off my watch and of course I complied but I did not let that basket out of my site and as soon as it passed through the x ray it went right back on my wrist.

What has been Your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:43 AM   #2
mackychase
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmm..
In all my travels, I've never been asked to remove my watch. Oh, except that one time I was wearing an Apple Watch. But that's it.
Old 14 May 2021, 02:51 AM   #3
kumar75203
Banned

It gives me major anxiety. They always tell me to take my watch off. Once I pass through the screening machine, 90% of the time I have to stand off to the side so they can pat me down. So there's anywhere from 30 seconds - 3 minutes where the watch is on the other side of the conveyor belt unattended. I usually "hide" it inside my shoes but still...

edit: I haven't flown anywhere since Covid started so hopefully they're becoming more lax about watches and belts.
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:52 AM   #4
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I take mine off and put it in a watch case in my bag in a locked pocket while going through security.

Most people will tell you here you are fine to leave it on, but I have seen a young TSA agent ask a guy in front of me to remove his watch and as soon as the guy said “but I always keep it on” he was waived to the pat down area
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:52 AM   #5
vlps
"TRF" Member

ive taken 20+ flights in the last year and never once asked to remove my watch
vlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:54 AM   #6
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

i never take mine off
spellmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:58 AM   #7
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I take mine off and put it in a watch case in my bag in a locked pocket while going through security.

Most people will tell you here you are fine to leave it on, but I have seen a young TSA agent ask a guy in front of me to remove his watch and as soon as the guy said “but I always keep it on” he was waived to the pat down area

Just took a flight and was not asked to take off watch I set the alarm off so I had to remove watch which I wasn’t happy about but there were no issues at all.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:03 AM   #8
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Rarely in the US, more frequent in some parts of Europe and Central Asia. I just do exactly what I am asked to do. Never a problem.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:05 AM   #9
vletnguyen
"TRF" Member

I never take my watch off either. A few years ago my cousin that I was traveling with took off his sub and put it through the xray. He went to pick it up from the belt and it dropped breaking the spring bar (no other damage), even the TSA agent cringed. Dallas RSC took care of it free of charge, they are the best.

If you are asked to take it off, stick it in your bag? I always slide my wallet and phone into my bag when I go through, less chance of it walking away.
vletnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:30 AM   #10
soflonative
2024 Pledge Member

Just be prepared ahead of time when traveling. I fly a lot and the very few times I've been asked to remove my watch I place it deep into my back pack in an area that it wont be scratched. I never go through the metal detector or scanner until I see me back pack disappearing into the x-ray machine.

Always be prepared and aware of your surroundings!
Old 14 May 2021, 03:34 AM   #11
Tag_asian
"TRF" Member

I always remove my watch and put it inside either by carryon bag or inside my jacket pocket
Tag_asian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:35 AM   #12
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I learned the hard way @ Paris not to argue and just o take the damn thing off, now I just remove it and put it in a case in my bag instead of throwing it on the tray if they were to ask me again.

5 people with watches passed through as the security manager was yelling at me to take it off while calling backup.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:35 AM   #13
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Rarely I take my watch off. In the event I do, it goes inside a watch buddy, inside my backpack into a pocket that's takes a bit of work to get too.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:40 AM   #14
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar75203 View Post
It gives me major anxiety. They always tell me to take my watch off. Once I pass through the screening machine, 90% of the time I have to stand off to the side so they can pat me down. So there's anywhere from 30 seconds - 3 minutes where the watch is on the other side of the conveyor belt unattended. I usually "hide" it inside my shoes but still...

edit: I haven't flown anywhere since Covid started so hopefully they're becoming more lax about watches and belts.
x2

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:42 AM   #15
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Time to buy a watch roll so that I can just shove it in my bag

rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:46 AM   #16
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
Rarely I take my watch off. In the event I do, it goes inside a watch buddy, inside my backpack into a pocket that's takes a bit of work to get too.
That's the way to do it, on the bottom of a backpack in a casebudi or similar. I wouldn't put it on a tray or even in a shoe.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:49 AM   #17
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
My husband and I fly frequently. Of all the times he was once asked to remove his watch for inspection. I think it was a Submariner. Several times after going through the machine they asked to inspect his watch it on his wrist. I have never been asked.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:53 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The only place that a Rolex on my wrist has set off an alarm is at the ship port in Kauai, HI, other watches will set them off routinely.

However, it is hit or miss that somebody will demand that I take it off, and then it becomes a cluster feat to keep track of everything.

Any more I slip it off and put it in a zipper pocket of my carry-on, it just isn't worth the trouble sometimes.
Old 14 May 2021, 04:04 AM   #19
Brew
"TRF" Member

I slip my watch into my coat pocket before I enter the security line. The coat is folded for the bins and retrieved after the x-ray machine.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 04:25 AM   #20
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I slip my watch into my coat pocket before I enter the security line. The coat is folded for the bins and retrieved after the x-ray machine.
This

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 04:42 AM   #21
markseattle
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR-Daytona C
I see you are from Tacoma, I'm from Seattle myself and fly out of Seatac like I'm sure you would. Before Covid I was flying 30 or more roundtrips per year, all domestic and have never even once been asked to remove my watch. And this was over many years of travel.

Based on my experience , the safest place to leave your watch is on your wrist when going through security.

Mark
markseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 04:47 AM   #22
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I fly a lot international and many countries you need to remove your watch. Try arguing and see how that works out

Before security check my watch, belt, wallet are in my bag. Laptop is out. I don’t hold up the line and it’s the quickest method to go through. How difficult it can be.
Old 14 May 2021, 04:50 AM   #23
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
I'm curious if the TRF members who claim they never take their watch off are also the people who pay for and use the expedited screening or are triple million dollar platinum bonus fliers.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 04:55 AM   #24
Treetopflyer777
"TRF" Member

I’m a pilot. I go through screening hundreds of tubes a year. I refuse to remove my watch. I say they can take me to private screening if they would like but the watch isn’t coming off.
That usually ends the discussion.
Treetopflyer777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:13 AM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I forget how to use an airport.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:28 AM   #26
UK_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopflyer777 View Post
I’m a pilot. I go through screening hundreds of tubes a year. I refuse to remove my watch. I say they can take me to private screening if they would like but the watch isn’t coming off.
That usually ends the discussion.

How does that work for you in UAE, Germany or France?

UK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:41 AM   #27
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I never remove mine and have never been asked to
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:47 AM   #28
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
I never take mine off, without any issues. Flew down to Jamaica last month, no worries each way.

siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 06:16 AM   #29
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

I used (long time no fly, damn Covid…) to put the watch in my backpack, in a pocket or similar.
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 07:14 AM   #30
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Same answers as every time this comes up which is frequently. It appears that “most” times a watch can be worn through the scanner or metal detector without issue, especially if you’re in Pre or Global line. “All” the time it will go through your carry on fine in a watch case, pocket, etc.
Those that say they will refuse? Go to Flyertalk if you want to hear horror stories about “enhanced screening.” Not to mention holding up the line for the other travelers. At least in the US you can be not allowed to fly and possibly fined for not completing security screening. I have worn mine without incident but if it’s crowded I just put it in my bag.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote