The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 May 2021, 07:25 AM   #91
jpwv
Banned

In 7 years of weekly travel I never had to remove my Sub. I traveled for the first time with my big pilot last week and had to take it off every time. I think it has something to do with the metal cage that protects the movement from magnetism.
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 07:30 AM   #92
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

Bin Laden is laughing from the grave.
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 08:02 AM   #93
Fred48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar75203 View Post
It gives me major anxiety. They always tell me to take my watch off. Once I pass through the screening machine, 90% of the time I have to stand off to the side so they can pat me down. So there's anywhere from 30 seconds - 3 minutes where the watch is on the other side of the conveyor belt unattended. I usually "hide" it inside my shoes but still...

edit: I haven't flown anywhere since Covid started so hopefully they're becoming more lax about watches and belts.
not to mention that, depending on how thorough the screening is, your wallet and passport might be on the other side as well (along with your Gucci loafers!).

Always makes me nervous.
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 08:18 AM   #94
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve had a change of heart on this over the years.

I used to fly mainly domestic (well Buffalo to anywhere USA) for about 15 years or so, I never had been asked to remove my watch.

As soon as my wife and I started to travel internationally it became a more frequent occurrence. Not always, but often enough that it just wasn’t worth the hassle.

I put it in my carry on before I get into the airport now.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 08:24 AM   #95
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
This fun topic comes up quite often here on the boards.
It always amuses me how the camp of "I never remove my watch", are almost always USA residents whom are flying domestic routes.... So sure, can't say I've been asked to either.
However, there is a big wide world out there, and fly enough in other regions around the globe, you WILL be asked to remove your watch at some point.
For me, reflex has always been put the watch in your carryon, and proceed through the maze of obstacles, then get to your gate and return the watch to your wrist.
They use to ask for US fliers to remove watches before we had TSA pre check. However, I was wearing a pair of cargo type pants once flying out of CDG Paris and was asked to remove my belt. My belt was in the front part of the pants and were attached. I could not get across to this gentleman that I could not remove the belt. Took a long time, they thought I was being difficult until their supervisor finally came to translate. After having everything I own including my person searched several times, we all had a big laugh.
Old 18 May 2021, 08:33 AM   #96
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopflyer777 View Post
I’m a pilot. I go through screening hundreds of tubes a year. I refuse to remove my watch. I say they can take me to private screening if they would like but the watch isn’t coming off.
That usually ends the discussion.
I am an airline pilot as well. To be fair, you and I go through metal detectors and not the full body imaging machines the folks in the back have to pass though.

I wear my 116710 daily to work. It only comes off my wrist when I go to bed at night. It doesn't set off the metal detectors at all. I always take it on international non-rev travel which pre-Covid I did frequently. It never interfered with the imaging machine and I have never been asked to remove it.

If I was a regular Joe riding in the back I'd just leave it on as I passed through security.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 09:02 AM   #97
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I've been through every scenario in security.

I've gotten into the habit of already having everything out of my pockets and off my wrist, in a specific area of my bag before I even get in line. I put everything back on/in once I clear the security area and the crowd.

It's just easier that way.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 12:44 PM   #98
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
Bin Laden is laughing from the grave.
He probably is, he's got Americans frothing at the mouth because they have to take their watches off for a few minutes

Just before passing through security I put my watch in a small case and pop it into my carry bag. Once through I put it back onto my wrist.
No ego's were harmed during this process.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 01:32 PM   #99
motiontimers
Banned

I have not been told to take off my Rolex though, but if for any reason I'm ask to do so i will definitely comply and wear it back immediately after the security check.
motiontimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 05:56 PM   #100
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiontimers View Post
I have not been told to take off my Rolex though, but if for any reason I'm ask to do so i will definitely comply and wear it back immediately after the security check.
Course you will. There are a few Billy Big Balls in here suggesting that they would face down airport security and refuse to remove a watch when ordered to do so but I'd love to see that play out in reality.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote