The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2022, 12:15 AM   #31
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I went through the same process last month after a freak windstorm literally picked up my 10 year old Weber and slammed it to the ground. All of the control knobs on the front panel were broken as well as two of the gas valves. A metal bracket supporting the control panel had also broken.

I looked at Weber only as Consumer Reports still ranks them as the top choice. While I agree with you that the new color selections are a little ridiculous, the build quality is still at least as good as my 10 year old model.

The pricing has gone up dreadfully to the point that the current replacement model for mine is now $1,200.

Here is the best part of buying a Weber…..

After determining that I could get the broken support welded locally for $35, I was able to order Weber replacement valves for $60 and then new, aftermarket knobs for $30. Since I was doing all of this work, I out on new burner tubes for $70 and new spark igniters for $30. So, for $225, i essentially have a brand new grill. I did replace the cast iron grates last summer.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 12:19 AM   #32
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
You use a commercial grade indoor grill outside w a cover? Pics? I love commercial grade stuff and wouldn’t think of this lol. Price is too high for me right now in any case …
At one point I had a 2-burner APW Wyott GPH-2H. 30,000 BTUs per burner with a 30 gallon propane tank. With the NG conversion orifices. Kept in a lateral file cabinet with roll-up door. Outside the back door of a vacation cabin.

No cleanup, no smoke in the house. Very handy. Looked similar to this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg md_n130690.jpg (9.6 KB, 101 views)
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 07:01 AM   #33
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Which do you use more out of curiosity?

Weber pricing is very high now, a genesis is over $1k and a summit $2800. The competing Napoleons are actually less I think.
was at my local True Value today, my grill (Gen II 3 burner) is $100 more than I paid last year ($719)
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 07:05 AM   #34
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which do you use more out of curiosity?

Weber pricing is very high now, a genesis is over $1k and a summit $2800. The competing Napoleons are actually less I think.
I really only use the grill when I need to quickly grill chciken for weekly meal prep (even then when I’m bored I use BGE)

I use the BGE about 2-3 times a week
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 08:16 AM   #35
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

After two decades of Weber ownership I just bought a Napoleon Prestige Pro 665.

I loved the Weber and it performed flawlessly, but every single person I spoke to knowledgeable in the subject said Napoleon was a cut above.

I have yet to set it up but looking forward to it.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 10:12 AM   #36
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
I really only use the grill when I need to quickly grill chciken for weekly meal prep (even then when I’m bored I use BGE)

I use the BGE about 2-3 times a week
This is sorta where I’m at. I will use the gas for quick chicken grilling during the week (just finished on old Weber lol) and the Kamado for any fun cooking I think.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 10:13 AM   #37
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
After two decades of Weber ownership I just bought a Napoleon Prestige Pro 665.

I loved the Weber and it performed flawlessly, but every single person I spoke to knowledgeable in the subject said Napoleon was a cut above.

I have yet to set it up but looking forward to it.
What sold you in the pro? If it wasn’t a full 1$k more then normal prestige I think I’d just do it.
Old 18 May 2022, 06:48 AM   #38
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What sold you in the pro? If it wasn’t a full 1$k more then normal prestige I think I’d just do it.
The wife wanted the rotisserie function, and I wanted the integrated smoker. That, and the Prestige was sold out!
Old 18 May 2022, 06:57 AM   #39
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The wife wanted the rotisserie function, and I wanted the integrated smoker. That, and the Prestige was sold out!
Lol I’m about to upgrade to the prestige with sear burner (which I do want) and rotisserie (now the 2nd considering the Kamado one lol) because the plain prestige is out!
Old 18 May 2022, 07:18 AM   #40
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol I’m about to upgrade to the prestige with sear burner (which I do want) and rotisserie (now the 2nd considering the Kamado one lol) because the plain prestige is out!
Ha! I'm pretty sure the Prestige only exists on paper ;)

Enjoy it - I've got the first grill scheduled for next week. It should be epic!
Old 18 May 2022, 07:55 AM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Look forward to tomahawk steak pics
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 08:41 AM   #42
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Look forward to tomahawk steak pics
We're arguing about how to christen the grill. I want Tomohawks, wife wants a whole turbot, and the kids are split between bbq ribs, kalbi bulgogi, and carabineros...

I mean the logical answer would be 'all of the above'.
Old 18 May 2022, 08:47 AM   #43
turboawd
"TRF" Member

New Grill Time! Recommendations Please

Quote:
Thanks, Yes, I have considered that as it is a good idea. Did a light restoration last year and cleaned all burner holes etc. Could just get new flavorizers and have some improvement. However the cart has given up the ghost haha. Bottom is rusted through, I’ve painted a few times and rust quickly is back and staining concrete deck etc. I can’t figure out how to get replacement cart.

I also found some of Napoleon is now done in China, one of 3 plants. Hard to determine what models but I assume they’re freestyle for sure.

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but this may help:

I also have a Weber Genesis from 2007 with a rusted under carriage. I wanted to replace the rusted panel, and to do so i registered my grill on the Weber website. once registered, the entire parts diagram for your grille model becomes available, complete with part numbers.

From there you can identify the part number you need and email Weber customer service to order it. I actually submitted a warranty claim for my rusted undercarriage, and Weber actually approved it and sent me the panel free of charge!! This was this year and my grille is from 07 … That shows you that Weber is a great company that values its customers.

As others have mentioned, i also have heard that Weber’s may not be built as well as in the past, so it’s worth refurbishing the one you have. Plus, it’ll likely cost less than a brand new one.

Hope this helps!

Here’s a pic of my 07 Genesis with the rusted carriage (haven’t gotten around to installing the replacement panel yet):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
turboawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 09:52 AM   #44
twitch54
"TRF" Member

FWIW and as a side note I noticed an article in todays WSJ that Weber reported a 59 million dollar loss for the first qtr, siting 'supply chain issues' as the main culprit along with slower sales due to 'more people traveling' ? !
Old 18 May 2022, 09:54 AM   #45
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post

I also have a Weber Genesis from 2007 with a rusted under carriage. I wanted to replace the rusted panel, and to do so i registered my grill on the Weber website. once registered, the entire parts diagram for your grille model becomes available, complete with part numbers.

From there you can identify the part number you need and email Weber customer service to order it. I actually submitted a warranty claim for my rusted undercarriage, and Weber actually approved it and sent me the panel free of charge!! This was this year and my grille is from 07 … That shows you that Weber is a great company that values its customers.

As others have mentioned, i also have heard that Weber’s may not be built as well as in the past, so it’s worth refurbishing the one you have. Plus, it’ll likely cost less than a brand new one.

Hope this helps!

Here’s a pic of my 07 Genesis with the rusted carriage (haven’t gotten around to installing the replacement panel yet):

good to hear on your warranty claim ! While you're at it , get that deck stained !!
Old 18 May 2022, 09:55 AM   #46
turboawd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
good to hear on your warranty claim ! While you're at it , get that deck stained !!

Yeah Weber was very gracious…oh yes the deck is long overdue for a power wash and stain! I’m almost embarrassed to show it in the picture!!

Old 18 May 2022, 10:10 AM   #47
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We're arguing about how to christen the grill. I want Tomohawks, wife wants a whole turbot, and the kids are split between bbq ribs, kalbi bulgogi, and carabineros...

I mean the logical answer would be 'all of the above'.
Reverse sear some tomahawks!
Old 18 May 2022, 10:14 AM   #48
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hope this helps!

That is awesome.

So I do have rust on bottom panel as well as sides. However, I have found a Weber forum and it turns out restorations is the main discussion point. Turns out the Genesis of that time frame is the most desirable. The Summits from them are money pits, with extremely expensive flavorizer bars ($250), an enameled fire box that will fail And there’s no more service parts. So these guys all look for those genesis to renovate and generally skip or scrap the “nicer” Summits!
Old 18 May 2022, 10:22 AM   #49
turboawd
"TRF" Member

New Grill Time! Recommendations Please

Quote:
That is awesome.

So I do have rust on bottom panel as well as sides. However, I have found a Weber forum and it turns out restorations is the main discussion point. Turns out the Genesis of that time frame is the most desirable. The Summits from them are money pits, with extremely expensive flavorizer bars ($250), an enameled fire box that will fail And there’s no more service parts. So these guys all look for those genesis to renovate and generally skip or scrap the “nicer” Summits!

Ah , i see…Good to know!

Yeah, i can see how an enameled firebox is not the best for longevity. It’ll certainly make it a tougher decision on whether to restore or go new.

you could first try the warranty claim route on those rusted panels since there’s nothing to lose, and they may goodwill approve your claim.

If going for new, i still like the Weber Genesis 3 burner vs something like the Napoleon. Those wavy grills on the Napoleon strike me as difficult to clean…

Old 19 May 2022, 01:06 AM   #50
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah , i see…Good to know!

Yeah, i can see how an enameled firebox is not the best for longevity. It’ll certainly make it a tougher decision on whether to restore or go new.

you could first try the warranty claim route on those rusted panels since there’s nothing to lose, and they may goodwill approve your claim.

If going for new, i still like the Weber Genesis 3 burner vs something like the Napoleon. Those wavy grills on the Napoleon strike me as difficult to clean…

The Genesis firebox is all cast Al I believe, so you’re in good shape to restore.

I have compared the new Genesis and taking in the “new look”, 3 vs 4 burner, lifetime vs 10 yr warranty, and NA manufacturing the Napoleon wins out to me. I am curious on cleaning the wavy grates but have seen no complaints on that.

On that Weber forum they dismiss anything made after 2010ish fyi lol.

Given that I’d have to spend $250 for flavorizers at minimum to get more consistent heat I don’t want to spend any Weber’s money for replacement parts I don’t really intend to use. I’ll just sell the grill for fairly cheap to someone that wants a project and can fab and repair. Wife has seen the new grill and wants it on the deck
Old 19 May 2022, 02:57 AM   #51
turboawd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Genesis firebox is all cast Al I believe, so you’re in good shape to restore.

I have compared the new Genesis and taking in the “new look”, 3 vs 4 burner, lifetime vs 10 yr warranty, and NA manufacturing the Napoleon wins out to me. I am curious on cleaning the wavy grates but have seen no complaints on that.

Given that I’d have to spend $250 for flavorizers at minimum to get more consistent heat I don’t want to spend any Weber’s money for replacement parts I don’t really intend to use. I’ll just sell the grill for fairly cheap to someone that wants a project and can fab and repair. Wife has seen the new grill and wants it on the deck
Ah yes - $250 for the flavorizers is a little too high for folded metal strips... Looks like Napoleon has upped their game with the lifetime warranty...and most importantly wife wants it, so it's a no branier! Would love to see pics once you get it!
Old 19 May 2022, 05:23 AM   #52
turboawd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

oh btw - which weber forum do you go on? i'd like to join and take a look around...

thanks!
Old 19 May 2022, 05:27 AM   #53
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Here’s the one I found. Lots of smoking forums, few on gas grills themselves haha.

https://tvwbb.com/forums/weber-gas-grills.91/
Old 19 May 2022, 05:29 AM   #54
turboawd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here’s the one I found. Lots of smoking forums, few on gas grills themselves haha.

https://tvwbb.com/forums/weber-gas-grills.91/
Thanks man! Some inspiring restorations on there!
Old 21 May 2022, 12:31 AM   #55
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah yes - $250 for the flavorizers is a little too high for folded metal strips... Looks like Napoleon has upped their game with the lifetime warranty...and most importantly wife wants it, so it's a no branier! Would love to see pics once you get it!
LOL, when I re-did mine a couple years back I got thicker gauge than the stock SS bars off Amazon for less than half of that !
Old 21 May 2022, 02:53 AM   #56
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL, when I re-did mine a couple years back I got thicker gauge than the stock SS bars off Amazon for less than half of that !
For summit? There’s a middle connector bar that covers a burner there. That’s what keeps these tougher to replace!
Old 21 May 2022, 05:13 AM   #57
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For summit? There’s a middle connector bar that covers a burner there. That’s what keeps these tougher to replace!
Opps, my bad, no, it was for my prior Genesis
Old 21 May 2022, 06:04 AM   #58
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Opps, my bad, no, it was for my prior Genesis
Yep you’d think they’d be similar… which is why the guys into restoring generally avoid the summit as a money pit and pursue the “lesser” genesis only .
Old 22 May 2022, 02:55 AM   #59
twitch54
"TRF" Member

I wonder how the new Weber's with their 'searing section' are working out ?

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/g.../35310001.html
Old 27 May 2022, 11:57 PM   #60
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wonder how the new Weber's with their 'searing section' are working out ?

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/g.../35310001.html
I don’t see it being as good as infrared 1800 degrees, just an extra burner.