The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 May 2022, 02:29 AM   #61
tgyberg
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
Awesome! Man I love German cars A LOT! Never had a P car but do I dig the analog Bimmers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1997M.JPG (54.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 24 May 2022, 02:36 AM   #62
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
...for watch and car collecting. After 14 Rolex watches and numerous cars I've come to the conclusion that these are my all time favorites. And I don't actually need anything more. I've tried newer Porsches and newer Rolexes but for some reason I haven't been able to "connect" them the same way.

Other one is manual 1994, other one is 2001 and automatic.

Maybe they're a bit mundane and unadventurous choices but hey... I like them. That's all that matters.

Awesome that you've found your "one" car and watch!

I may have (finally) found both myself...

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:43 AM   #63
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

I'm typing this message with my all time favorite sub on my wrist, so I know exactly where you're coming from. Enjoy the bliss.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:44 AM   #64
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Congratulations.

Dreaming of a Porsche nearly my whole life … hopefully I will have the opportunity to enjoy before I’m too old and crippled to get in and out

Agree with you the modern offerings are missing something
Old 24 May 2022, 02:50 AM   #65
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
That's a good looking ride!

I've been thinking about getting a 911 as my next car, a convertible, with the digital screen. BUT I was really hoping they would have a hybrid, with pure EV mode, model already. Anyway the other thing that worries me is the back seat. I would either like something without a back seat, like the 718 boxster, or if the backseat is functional enough that I would put my kids in, with child seats, and I'd have to be confident enough that it's safe for the kids. Any thoughts on that as an owner?
Amphora my friend...there are a lot of points to address here.

But the biggest one is ... HYBRID? EV??? Hell no! The beauty of the 911 is that flat six engine, driving a sports car is a visceral thing, it is the experience of how the car handles and feels but also the sound it makes.

My question back to you is, do you want a Porsche because you like the brand or do you want a Porsche because you are a keen driver who enjoys driving challenging roads and perfecting the skill of driving?

If it is the former and you are less bothered about the flat six engine, then perhaps look at a Taycan. They are quick, practical for your family and definitely have plenty of the Porsche DNA running through it.

Now moving onto the coupe v convertible thing. So my first Porsche was a 981 Boxster and it was brilliant fun and the option to have the roof down when on a spirited drive definitely added to the whole experience. However, I eventually sold it, because to me the dream had always been to own a 911. The 911 convertible is a little less practical than the coupe if you intend to use the rear seats, because in the convertible the seat backs are a little more upright and less useful. In my coupe you will definitely be able to use child seats and my 13 year old daughter is able to sit in the back without issue.

In terms of the safety of your kids in the back, Porsche are amongst the safest and best engineered cars in the world. You certainly shouldn't have any concerns about this aspect of Porsche ownership.

Realistically, the only way you will know is to go and see for yourself.

To me, it feels like Porsche is this best kept secret in the world, because for the money you spend nothing else gets close. Fast BMWs, Audis and Mercs hold zero interest to me because a) their "fast" models are not designed to be a sports car first and foremost unlike a Porsche and b) there are millions of the bloody things on the road, I love the fact that when you see a Porsche, it is an uncommon sight, it is a bit special and the entry price is not prohibitive like the super-cars of this world.
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:51 AM   #66
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Awesome that you've found your "one" car and watch!

I may have (finally) found both myself...

Manual GTS?!

YES! YES! YES!

You are winning at life my friend....
Old 24 May 2022, 02:52 AM   #67
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I also have a 16610 (was one of my dreams). My other dream was a Porsche and I was lucky enough to get this in 2021.

This will likely be my only ever new Porsche. I absolutely love it but one day I aspire to have a 993 day in the garage for weekend use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:52 AM   #68
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...for watch and car collecting. After 14 Rolex watches and numerous cars I've come to the conclusion that these are my all time favorites. And I don't actually need anything more. I've tried newer Porsches and newer Rolexes but for some reason I haven't been able to "connect" them the same way.

Other one is manual 1994, other one is 2001 and automatic.

Maybe they're a bit mundane and unadventurous choices but hey... I like them. That's all that matters.

Beautiful 993!

I've driven several, almost bought one

Love the very mechanical, very analog feel
And the classic look/size
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:53 AM   #69
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Congratulations.

Dreaming of a Porsche nearly my whole life … hopefully I will have the opportunity to enjoy before I’m too old and crippled to get in and out

Agree with you the modern offerings are missing something
Do it!! You won't regret it...
Old 24 May 2022, 02:55 AM   #70
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I also have a 16610 (was one of my dreams). My other dream was a Porsche and I was lucky enough to get this in 2021.

This will likely be my only ever new Porsche. I absolutely love it but one day I aspire to have a 993 day in the garage for weekend use.

Awesome...the mid-engine Porsches are just brilliant.

I have driven plenty of 981 and 718 Caymans, but not yet had the opportunity to sample that new 4.0 NA Cayman, I can imagine it is incredible.
Old 24 May 2022, 03:13 AM   #71
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Excellent! Now all you need is a bunker in crazy Vlad goes crazier (knock on wood)
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:17 AM   #72
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
This will be 10 years old this coming Oct. nothing quite like these cars! Lots of Rolexes at a recent Porsche concours.

Old 24 May 2022, 03:18 AM   #73
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post

Yes the perfect combo is to own one new 911 for everyday use and one old... for the weekends. That's my goal too. Actually MANY Porsche enthusiasts have that combo.
Old 24 May 2022, 03:21 AM   #74
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxy88 View Post
Manual GTS?!

YES! YES! YES!

You are winning at life my friend....
Thank you. You have amazing car and watch too.

I have the 6-speed version. Manual is great for these old Porsches. The old ZF tiptronic in 964 and 993 is far from modern but it's actually not that bad. Especially in traffic. But yeah something is lost with the tiptronic.

Ironically the new automatics are actually FASTER than manuals. But manual in the old school sports car is a nice thing to have.
Old 24 May 2022, 03:22 AM   #75
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
Awesome! Man I love German cars A LOT! Never had a P car but do I dig the analog Bimmers
I had THREE BMW's. E28 was my first one... the shark nose. LOVED it. Absolutey loved it.

Then I had a E34 and last E39. All brilliant.

The new BMW's though... hmm... not sure about the looks anymore.
Old 24 May 2022, 03:23 AM   #76
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
As a fellow Porsche enthusiast, I completely agree with your thread. You cannot go wrong with that 993 and that 16610 and now you can enjoy both and not wonder "what's next, what's next."

Enjoy the heck out of them!
Old 24 May 2022, 03:27 AM   #77
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Very nice combo. I noticed this forum is definitely full of Porsche enthusiasts.
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:31 AM   #78
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

Nice pair!
Enjoy your beauties.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:38 AM   #79
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Hi Juho! I can´t comment on the Porsche as I´ve never driven one (beautiful car, though!). I used to do a helluva lot of long-distance driving on the German Autobahns in a BMW and later two Mercedes, and I always grinned when a 911 cheekily flashed its headlights and rocketed past, even when I was doing well over 200kmh! It just made me smile, and I´d think “Maybe one day!”. But I can connect with what you say about a 5-digit Sub. It´s just perfect, imho. I´ve been wearing a 14060 nearly every day for more than 26 years, and I don´t need or want another Rolex. And I love the old jingly-jangly 93150 clasp, so disliked by many on this forum. I´ve had no problems with it, and the watch has been banged about, dropped, scraped etc. all around the world! I don´t baby it, but do have it serviced. I´m enjoying reading my way through the articles on your website! Take care driving your lovely Porsche!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 04:00 AM   #80
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've driven both 997 and 991 and I think that 997 feels a bit more traditional. It's quite a lot smaller. Maybe one day I'll get one of those newer ones to keep the 993 company.
The size difference is huge - I have a 1972 2.4 911T Targa and some years ago owned a 997 as well - alongside one another in the garage the 72 looked tiny, almost comical.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 04:10 AM   #81
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyrin View Post
Hi Juho! I can´t comment on the Porsche as I´ve never driven one (beautiful car, though!). I used to do a helluva lot of long-distance driving on the German Autobahns in a BMW and later two Mercedes, and I always grinned when a 911 cheekily flashed its headlights and rocketed past, even when I was doing well over 200kmh! It just made me smile, and I´d think “Maybe one day!”. But I can connect with what you say about a 5-digit Sub. It´s just perfect, imho. I´ve been wearing a 14060 nearly every day for more than 26 years, and I don´t need or want another Rolex. And I love the old jingly-jangly 93150 clasp, so disliked by many on this forum. I´ve had no problems with it, and the watch has been banged about, dropped, scraped etc. all around the world! I don´t baby it, but do have it serviced. I´m enjoying reading my way through the articles on your website! Take care driving your lovely Porsche!
Thank you.

I also wear my old 16610 everywhere... and scratches just make it better looking. I don't baby it... it's a SPORTS watch. I also have a 16600 and owned a 14060 before. It's the purest and best looking Rolex but personally I need the date function.

Cheers man.
Old 24 May 2022, 04:11 AM   #82
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
The size difference is huge - I have a 1972 2.4 911T Targa and some years ago owned a 997 as well - alongside one another in the garage the 72 looked tiny, almost comical.
Yes there is a lot of difference. 911 got faster and faster by every generation. But it also got bigger and bigger.

Old 24 May 2022, 04:17 AM   #83
Vesper Lynd
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. I love all air cooled eras equally. 70's, 80's impact bumper cars, 964 and 993.

But I wanted either 964 or 993 because they have more comfortable transmission and slightly more abilities. In the end it was all about color and what good examples were available. Iris blue 993 won over polar silver 964.

Did you choose the 993 simply because of the colour? 😳
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 04:25 AM   #84
Retlas
"TRF" Member

I have the last of the 996 Targa's... an unloved model number... probably why I have gone for a Yacht Master 40... perhaps I just want to be different?!?!

Last edited by Retlas; 24 May 2022 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: image didnt save
Retlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 04:30 AM   #85
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Lynd View Post
Did you choose the 993 simply because of the colour? ��
I really love the 964 too. Actually I was in two minds between the 964 and 993 for years.

And there are certain things that I like more on 964 and other things that I prefer on 993.... like the fat rear.

But both cars has 90% the same feel when you drive them. All old air cooled are actually the same car.

I honestly couldn't decide and there were two good examples available at the same times and the decision was very hard. Iris blue is more sparkling color which probably was the last deciding factor.

In the perfect world I'll own them BOTH in the future.
Old 24 May 2022, 04:32 AM   #86
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlas View Post
I have the last of the 996 Targa's... an unloved model number... probably why I have gone for a Yacht Master 40... perhaps I just want to be different?!?!

996 is getting more and more appreciation. 996 4S is my absolute favorite of the 996 lineup. That rear reflector looks so amazingly cool on it.
Old 24 May 2022, 04:48 AM   #87
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Great story about your lifestyle. Beautiful car and watch. Being content is priceless!

p.s. also a big fan of Porsche and sports cars in general. Nothing like an air cooled 911! Enjoy
Turbo Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:01 AM   #88
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlas View Post

Cool! Don’t see 996 Targas around much. I used to have one in Basalt black.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:28 AM   #89
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Racer View Post
Great story about your lifestyle. Beautiful car and watch. Being content is priceless!

p.s. also a big fan of Porsche and sports cars in general. Nothing like an air cooled 911! Enjoy
Thank you Sir.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:30 AM   #90
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
My 1970 914-6 bought new, and fitted with an '89 3.2 Carrera engine shoehorned into the engine compartment designed for a 2.0 in 1995. I sold it recently when I downsized and only have a two car garage now. It was a wonderful ride for fifty years.

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote