The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 May 2022, 07:28 PM   #31
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
I think it will become easier as interest rates go up, not forgetting a cost of living squeeze in some countries.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:41 PM   #32
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

Putting SS sports in the windows would be the ultimate admission of defeat for the ADs.

They would likely try tapping up their mythical waiting lists first (if they ever existed in the first place) and failing that, bundle them with less desirables to Greys directly.

The very sight of watches for sale in a window would mean that demand is now less than or equal to supply.

Even in an online age, the old bricks and mortar retail rules haven't gone away.
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 08:09 PM   #33
JeanValjean14
"TRF" Member

I think we wont see ss models in dispalys any time soon. This whole thing started when peope were flipping for 1 or 2k profit or even less. And thats going to continue , and there will always be people willing to pay a little over retail in order not to wait for 1 year or more for an ss model. Yachtmaster,TT modes and PM will maybe come around but i really dont expect that i can walk in and buy a LV. Would i like it ? Of course,but in my mind its just not realistic...
JeanValjean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 08:17 PM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Full throttle for ADS here.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 07:01 AM   #35
Greenwood_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarychicken View Post
Putting SS sports in the windows would be the ultimate admission of defeat for the ADs.
Interesting choice of words. Defeat implies the ADs had a hand in generating demand or increasing supply - I’m not sure they influenced anything much at all.

While I don’t disagree that ADs are happy pre-selling every rolex they get in, I also think it’s difficult to manage the expectations of so many consumers (both new and existing). I’m sure many SAs would welcome a return to equilibrium for the sake of their sanity.
Ω Speedy Pro Moon Phase 3575.20
Greenwood_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 07:08 AM   #36
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
IMHO, I think before that happens we would first start seeing TT and PM models in display cases, and thus far I haven't seen many mentions of this on the forum.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 07:28 AM   #37
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Some gray prices are 100% for certain down a little. Not nearly enough to resemble msrp or even acceptable prices, let alone make msrp purchases any easier.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 07:35 AM   #38
psif
Banned

ADs are not going anywhere, I think they are an integral part of the General watch market. SS sport watches ought to be available before individuals like you and I have a chance
psif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 07:36 AM   #39
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
Asked my AD what they have… a few lady DJ and Smaller OPs. With all this correction talk it doesn’t seem like much has changed at the ADs. Either that or I need a new AD
You will have to wait a few months and it will happen. The drop in grey prices weeds out the flippers, and those who don't really care about watches and wanted something to flex.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:55 PM   #40
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
A quick update on my previous post of "no one knows anything."

Update: No one still doesn't know anything and this thread is worthless.

As are the ten million just like it in the past two months. Too bad a search and lots of redundant reading isn't satisfying...
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:58 PM   #41
CAWatchLove
Banned

AD situation will only get worse before it gets better. Even more people flooding to AD during this “correction period” as they don’t want to lose money buying gray.
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 04:56 PM   #42
Podmornica
Banned

What do you expect? Prices to go back to MSRP in a week? Nothing goes up or down in a straight vertical line. It takes time. Follow the trend. Trend is your friend. The trend is down. The full effect will be visible by the Autumn 2023.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:10 PM   #43
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
A quick update on my previous post of "no one knows anything."

Update: No one still doesn't know anything and this thread is worthless.

As are the ten million just like it in the past two months. Too bad a search and lots of redundant reading isn't satisfying...
You don't need to read or comment either if you think it's a silly topic.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 07:06 PM   #44
Spurman
"TRF" Member

Perhaps lets see when we might see for sale 2 tone dj and then hopefully ss dj for sale in ad first
Spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:27 PM   #45
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Let's take a step back - all the way back to the 'good old days.' ADs always had good stock, all the common DJ and Sports models were in the display case. Perhaps only Daytona and some off-catalog models were not available for fondling. This is what we should call normal. You would expect a discount as with any big-ticket item and if not, at least a nice watch winder thrown in. No strings attached.

Jump back to the 2018-2022 era, ADs coerce people to buy worthless jewelry and unwanted watch brands for the mere possibility of inching up the mythical Wait List. Some with decades of history at the dealer enjoy more success, others have been shut out entirely during this era (despite attempts to prove fealty through spending.)

So now some of you think the Extortion approach is here to stay? I don't think so, provided the global recession hits wallets with the same magnitude as 2008. There will still be those who are unaffected but people like that already have all the jewelry/watches they want. ADs can't survive by selling just a few pieces a year - they must sell everything Rolex ships them.

These ADs may well try to maintain the illusion of scarcity but the minute a serious customer walks in they'll unlock the safe. A guy who buys a Sub or GMT is very likely to pick up a DJ for his wife - maybe not the same day but a few months later. Now it will be up to the AD to establish that 'relationship' and not the other way around. A buyer's market will return as the economy tanks.

Hasn't happened yet. The minute I get my text for a BLNR I'll declare the recession to be here and the Rolex Drought to be over. Stay tuned
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:56 PM   #46
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Let's take a step back - all the way back to the 'good old days.' ADs always had good stock, all the common DJ and Sports models were in the display case. Perhaps only Daytona and some off-catalog models were not available for fondling. This is what we should call normal. You would expect a discount as with any big-ticket item and if not, at least a nice watch winder thrown in. No strings attached.

Jump back to the 2018-2022 era, ADs coerce people to buy worthless jewelry and unwanted watch brands for the mere possibility of inching up the mythical Wait List. Some with decades of history at the dealer enjoy more success, others have been shut out entirely during this era (despite attempts to prove fealty through spending.)

So now some of you think the Extortion approach is here to stay? I don't think so, provided the global recession hits wallets with the same magnitude as 2008. There will still be those who are unaffected but people like that already have all the jewelry/watches they want. ADs can't survive by selling just a few pieces a year - they must sell everything Rolex ships them.

These ADs may well try to maintain the illusion of scarcity but the minute a serious customer walks in they'll unlock the safe. A guy who buys a Sub or GMT is very likely to pick up a DJ for his wife - maybe not the same day but a few months later. Now it will be up to the AD to establish that 'relationship' and not the other way around. A buyer's market will return as the economy tanks.

Hasn't happened yet. The minute I get my text for a BLNR I'll declare the recession to be here and the Rolex Drought to be over. Stay tuned
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 11:00 PM   #47
DBCooper07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
My AD assured me:
They are indeed getting watches.
Not as many as they would like.
The lists are still long.
Stop listening to rumors on forums.
Be patient it will happen.
Be healthy and have a great day!
DBCooper07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 11:14 PM   #48
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
Is it getting easier at ADs for SS sports?
Sure is.

All the threads about how to buy, where to buy and when to buy have stopped. Everyone is getting everything they want at normal prices.

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 12:22 AM   #49
ColdWater
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Won't see Rolex at AD as long as secondary market prices are higher than MSRP.

5-10% premium is enough when bonds and CD's return 1-3% and stocks are volatile. Doesn't matter if greys are buying or not; plenty of private sells happening.
ColdWater is offline   Reply With Quote