The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2022, 02:33 AM   #31
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
It is a stunning watch, but it doesn't look like great value next to a SS Sub (or even a GMT)...

Plus, people (especially many Rolex buyers) are sheep..
Old 23 May 2022, 03:11 AM   #32
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm not a Yachtmaster fan regardless of the color of the dial. Apparently, I am not alone.

It seems that the blue dial Sub, on the other hand, gets more ink than the other brands mentioned put together.
Old 23 May 2022, 05:11 AM   #33
smg8
Banned

Thank you all for the replies, and very interesting discussion points

I take the point that to many the ceramic bezel of the Sub/GMT make them more appealing.

That said it is a vastly different watch to those 2 - one of those and one of these would play nicely together and suit different occasions.

I've never handled one of these in person but the wrist shots people have kindly posted convince me I need to see one. I guess the bezel appears to be divisive and one of the most commonly mentioned aspects....
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 05:48 AM   #34
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I think it's both a terrific looking watch and a very comfortable watch. The big problem is a lack of "heritage". No one famous wears it habitually. No association with motor sports, air travel, general adventuring, the dive industry, politics, finance, etc. Even the turn-o-graph had an association with aviation. It's kind of a submariner with fancy make-up. So something of an identity problem. I like it though.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 05:51 AM   #35
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve always struggled with the large light grey bezel insert highlighting the smaller blue dial. For me, too much contrast.

I much prefer the grey dial. YMMV.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:04 AM   #36
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I wanted to get one but I could never figure out how I would explain that I am at best a yacht beginner wearing a YachtMaster
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:06 AM   #37
ts3
"TRF" Member

The Nautilus and Royal Oak were under-the-radar stealth pieces for most of their existence (same is true for most of the other steel sports watches on your list). This has obviously changed to some extent with the hype over the past few years.

The Yacht Master is a louder watch that screams Rolex on top. I think even today more people will recognize it from a distance for what it is than a 5711.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:13 AM   #38
Webster2281
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG YM2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
It's not that it isn't a good watch, but the main problem for the YM line up is the Submariner itself.

The Sub has more heritage, greater water resistance (300m vs 100m), uses the same 3235 movement, and is cheaper than the YM as it does not have a platinum bezel.

So why is someone paying more for essentially the same product but with worse spec?

The YM2 has an amazing movement but the size is HUGE! If Rolex make a new YM2 at 42mm or even better 40mm, the watch will be have a long waitlist like the SkyD!

Webster2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:18 AM   #39
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
When people talk about stainless steel sports watches with blue dials, the Yacht Master 40 blue rarely comes into the conversation.

If someone starts a thread on a watch forum (here or elsewhere) the blue dial s/s sports watch conversation often starts with the "big three" or Patek Nautilus, AP Royal Oak and VC Overseas
I think the blue dial Skydweller took most the of shine in terms of blue dialed Rolex’s go

Another reason could be that all three of those brands that you mentioned such as AP, Patek and VC have only one over hyped reference each; Royal Oak, Nautilus, and Overseas, whereas Rolex has the Daytona, Subs, GMT’s etc…so the Yacht Master is understandably overshadowed but the other references
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:31 AM   #40
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Random question I am pondering, would welcome any views.

When people talk about stainless steel sports watches with blue dials, the Yacht Master 40 blue rarely comes into the conversation.

If someone starts a thread on a watch forum (here or elsewhere) the blue dial s/s sports watch conversation often starts with the "big three" or Patek Nautilus, AP Royal Oak and VC Overseas - naturally.

As other options come up there are a heap thrown into the mix, from haute horology to high street. In no particular order names as far and wide as;

Zenith Defy
GP Laureato
Tissot PRX
Maurice Lacroix Aikon
Czapek Antarticque
Laurent Ferrier Sport Auto
Chopard Alpine Eagle

etc etc etc

So why does the seemingly more obvious Rolex not come up as often in the discussion?

Blue dial
Robust
Good movement
Micro adjustment (unlike others)
Brand recognition if that's your thing
Reasonable price point

What's the catch!?

First, let me start off with … I LOVE the blue dial YM40. It could be argued that it is the most attractive Rolex to me. Strangely, I’ve never owned one even though I love it so.

I think when watch people talk about the blue dialed watches when they come to Rolex the first thought is the blue dialed Datejust. Unlike the YM, the Datejust is on the same level of historical significance as the Sub, GMT, and Daytona. Whereas, the YM is not. In fact, the fluted bezel of the DJ is probably the most representative design cue of Rolex (even more than the Submariner) … that is why it is on EVERY Rolex clock in public.

Here is the Rolex clock at Wimbledon center court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:31 AM   #41
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'm a real fan of YMs. People are more than entitled to do what they like with their money. I feel the YM is the best looking water watch that Rolex makes.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 07:01 AM   #42
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I’ve always struggled with the large light grey bezel insert highlighting the smaller blue dial. For me, too much contrast.

I much prefer the grey dial. YMMV.

I agree, the wide bezel makes the blue dial appear too small (IMO).

I much prefer the slate dial on the YM40.

WilsdorfNDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 08:54 AM   #43
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I'm a real fan of YMs. People are more than entitled to do what they like with their money. I feel the YM is the best looking water watch that Rolex makes.
After seeing the platinum dial in person yesterday, I will admit I really like it. Has me thinking now because I want a watch with PCLs.
Old 23 May 2022, 08:56 AM   #44
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great question, and guess herd mentality. Perhaps the word Yacht doesn't resonate as much as do the more generalized terms such as Sea, Nautical, etc. So Sky-Dweller instead of Private Aviation Dweller.

Citation dweller, Gulf Stream dweller, falcon dweller, leer dweller

Jet dweller

Yeah your right, they picked the right name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 May 2022, 11:01 AM   #45
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
My personal opinion (and it’s just that) is that the YM doesn’t get mentioned because it’s ugly AF…
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:44 PM   #46
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
It’s a beautiful blue. I agree with some other comments though:

1) the word “Yacht” on the dial is a little pretentious, but nowhere near as in-your-face as it is on the YM2. lol

2) the large bezel makes the dial look small

That said, it’s a nice looking watch, but with a couple of caveats.
Old 23 May 2022, 02:59 PM   #47
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
It’s a beautiful blue. I agree with some other comments though:

1) the word “Yacht” on the dial is a little pretentious, but nowhere near as in-your-face as it is on the YM2. lol

2) the large bezel makes the dial look small

That said, it’s a nice looking watch, but with a couple of caveats.
Is the bezel actually larger vs Sub?
I thought someone recently confirmed on another thread that the bezels are the same width.
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 03:37 PM   #48
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I think the yacht theme is not very relatable to most people. Secondly I don't think it's the best execution of a blue dial watch, mostly because of how the bezel is. When I think of a blue dial watch, I think either black ceramic or polished steel, and neither very thick. In a way the YM is too sporty. A blue dial to me has to feel a bit more dressy or at least more fashionable than a black or white dial.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 07:56 PM   #49
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
just a mixed up ref and too flashy
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:35 PM   #50
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It's the whole "yacht" thing.
Thank you Fleet. I have wanted to say this many times. But did not want to get flamed. I do not have a each. But even if I did, I do not think I would want YACHT MASTER emblazoned on my wrist.

I know this does not make a lot of sense. I just feels? Ok, let me get it out and be done with it - pretentious.

Kind of like the difference between living in a mansion of Sunset Drive vs. Mansion Drive.

I know it is seriously mentally deficient of me to be ok with sporting a dial that says Rolex, but get turned off with the yacht word But if they changed the name, I would be seriously tempted to buy one. How about "Boatmaster." Or "Seamaster." Opps, already taken.
Old 23 May 2022, 10:46 PM   #51
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
I think the yacht theme is not very relatable to most people. Secondly I don't think it's the best execution of a blue dial watch, mostly because of how the bezel is. When I think of a blue dial watch, I think either black ceramic or polished steel, and neither very thick. In a way the YM is too sporty. A blue dial to me has to feel a bit more dressy or at least more fashionable than a black or white dial.
Or a chestnut bezel!
Old 23 May 2022, 11:08 PM   #52
ElusiveOne
"TRF" Member

It was my first forray into the brand and will always be a favourite of mine. Whilst people have mentioned small caveats compared to the sub, nobody has mentioned how it is essentially two watches in one. For me it is both sporty and dress if you want it to be. It fits slimmer than a sub for me and is overall a great piece. Each to their own thought. Some people will like and some not. I am glad it doesn't have a hype train behind it.
ElusiveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 11:27 PM   #53
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
It's a beautiful watch but I've heard it described on here like this. Something a bit too snooty about it

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:24 AM   #54
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
It's a beautiful watch but I've heard it described on here like this. Something a bit too snooty about it

Fine. Boat-Master it is, then!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:30 AM   #55
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Thank you Fleet. I have wanted to say this many times. But did not want to get flamed. I do not have a each. But even if I did, I do not think I would want YACHT MASTER emblazoned on my wrist.

I know this does not make a lot of sense. I just feels? Ok, let me get it out and be done with it - pretentious.

Kind of like the difference between living in a mansion of Sunset Drive vs. Mansion Drive.

I know it is seriously mentally deficient of me to be ok with sporting a dial that says Rolex, but get turned off with the yacht word But if they changed the name, I would be seriously tempted to buy one. How about "Boatmaster." Or "Seamaster." Opps, already taken.
I gotta say Seamaster sounds a LOT better than yachtmaster!
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:52 AM   #56
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Some very unusual responses about not liking it because of its name and/or not owning a yacht. I take it there's a ton of members here who own submarines then?

Personally I think it's a beautiful addition to any collection. (Which is why I have one! )
Old 24 May 2022, 03:07 AM   #57
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Some very unusual responses about not liking it because of its name and/or not owning a yacht. I take it there's a ton of members here who own submarines then?

Personally I think it's a beautiful addition to any collection. (Which is why I have one! )
You don’t own a submarine? You live on an island!

DM me, I know a guy.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:30 AM   #58
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
A yachtmaster is a license to handle boats, the equivalent to a driving license. No need to own a yacht.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote