The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2022, 03:37 AM   #31
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
It doesn't seem like too many of the opinions you have sought share your view that this would have a high degree of likelihood of being a great gift. But it kinda seems like you have your mind made up. I suggest you do whatever you want to do and think is best.
Old 23 May 2022, 03:37 AM   #32
Quamby
"TRF" Member

I have a 16570 Explorer II (white dial, box & papers full set) put away in a bank deposit box since 1995 if I remember correctly. I have only put it on my wrist once. I didn’t like it when it was given to me and I’ve never thought much of it since. The two things I think of about the watch now are: will it still run, and how the patina of the dial and the lumes may have aged/changed through the years.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 03:40 AM   #33
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Don, good to see you back however I completely disagree with your premise.

You believe that the grandchild would be impressed that you could simply put an object away and not use it. Value aside I am not sure I understand.

Secondly even if your investments are fine, this seems like an excessibve waste of capital and time just to impress someone who may not care.

A time keeping instrument should be used for timekeeping.
Exactly. There is a good chance your grandchild will not appreciate it. Im into watches but not vintage Rolexes so although I appreciate the gesture, I would secretly want the newest model not a Grandfather watch. Of course I would never tell my Grandfather out of guilt. I would never wear it, especially if it’s PM but could never sell it either.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 03:43 AM   #34
DonLee
"TRF" Member

honestly, a watch only means something when it is worn. The grandson sees you wearing the watch, then handed down to him.

a watch put in a safe and not worn is no different than a trust fund/stock portfolio.
just because you're into watches, doesn't mean he is.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 03:45 AM   #35
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Don, good to see you back however I completely disagree with your premise.

You believe that the grandchild would be impressed that you could simply put an object away and not use it. Value aside I am not sure I understand.

Secondly even if your investments are fine, this seems like an excessibve waste of capital and time just to impress someone who may not care.

A time keeping instrument should be used for timekeeping.
Brian, Thank you and it’s nice to be back!

The future is unpredictable… This is the “risk” aspect, and can be applied to so many articles of value, each and everyone of us admire. Be it watches, Art work (which I have a few), cars, or jewelry as examples.

Not one individual here would discard a Newman Daytona, just like our esteemed X moderator! Who so proudly totes his prize. Worn, driven or art work that’s been covered for decades, all will travel the family line in pride.

The most difficult thing to ignore is the “money” for too many….. once the mortgage, college, and all the other main costs in life are behind us, who cares? Wasting capital might be true to some extent but how many do you know that have a brand new, never worn, decades old luxury item?

Better than trading for a couple years at the old folks home! lol 😂
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 03:49 AM   #36
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
It doesn't seem like too many of the opinions you have sought share your view that this would have a high degree of likelihood of being a great gift. But it kinda seems like you have your mind made up. I suggest you do whatever you want to do and think is best.
I posted this for this very reason! To show that to me it’s not all $$$$! I look at these as Artwork. Say the kids aren’t into watches, this art will still help them in their life’s journey. The right to wear sell or otherwise is 100% up to them, just like my children that will receive my properties!
Old 23 May 2022, 03:50 AM   #37
Bustelo
"TRF" Member

Watch: maker in the US
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Not even once, did I pull it over my hand since it arrived over 15 months ago! My safe isn’t easily accessible which helps me from gazing too!
This is a world I don't even understand lol...

(Pssst- no one would know you tried it on!)
Bustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 03:50 AM   #38
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
how many do you know that have a brand new, never worn, decades old luxury item?
No one. This reminds me of those fake shows where they "find" an untouched classic car. Wow, what a find they say. I say, wow, what a waste and it was apparently massive excess consumption that never gave its owner an enjoyment from use.

It would not impres me and I would not expect it to impress anyone else.

Good luck
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 04:00 AM   #39
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How many can people can afford to turn a PM Daytona into a "Safe Queen" for 20 years. AND resist strapping it on your wrist?

That's my goal!

Of course in 20 years said Queen, will be a gift, to my first born Grandchild, not the investment aspect.
More power to you Don

The fact that u can do this on a whim says lot about ur financial state.

Money is only money and life is short and getting shorter everyday.
Do what make u happy, since u obviously can afford it

Ps
20 years is long time. Lotta things can change in 20 years.
Old 23 May 2022, 04:03 AM   #40
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Come to think of it, why did you choose 20 years for a grandchild. That's an unusual timeframe because you would need adult kids now who will have a child soon for the grandchild to be old enough to appreciate what you are proposing. If you do have kids already why not give it to them? If not a 40 year time frame seems more appropriate.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 04:03 AM   #41
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
No one. This reminds me of those fake shows where they "find" an untouched classic car. Wow, what a find they say. I say, wow, what a waste and it was apparently massive excess consumption that never gave its owner an enjoyment from use.

It would not impres me and I would not expect it to impress anyone else.

Good luck
My wife would tend to agree and says sell my Vettes all too often! Nope to me just sitting in the garage as static Art is all the enjoyment I need! Not a driven mile! Call me odd but this is true….
Old 23 May 2022, 04:09 AM   #42
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Well anything I can afford to buy I can afford to lock in the safe for decades but to me watches are tools to be used and enjoyed. I had a lot of bright ideas twenty years ago that haven’t aged well. This isn’t a bet I’d make.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 04:12 AM   #43
Bustelo
"TRF" Member

Watch: maker in the US
Quote:
My wife would tend to agree and says sell my Vettes all too often! Nope to me just sitting in the garage as static Art is all the enjoyment I need! Not a driven mile! Call me odd but this is true….
My father does this. I'm pretty sure he has polished the paint off his C5 by now. Unfortunate what the values did on those... Beautiful cars that deserve to be driven though, at least people can afford to do so.

Wish he would trade it in for a C8.
Bustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 04:13 AM   #44
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I only wear watch to wear and for no other reason.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 04:13 AM   #45
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
Come to think of it, why did you choose 20 years for a grandchild. That's an unusual timeframe because you would need adult kids now who will have a child soon for the grandchild to be old enough to appreciate what you are proposing. If you do have kids already why not give it to them? If not a 40 year time frame seems more appropriate.
I’m no spring chicken, like a lot of you guys here…. And, at this rate I’ll drop dead before I see a grandchild! 😂 My now adult children aren’t pumping out kids young like we did in our generation…..My time frame is arbitrary and hopefully at my grandkids entry into their young adult lives…
Old 23 May 2022, 04:28 AM   #46
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:

But how many can say My Geandfather had the means to keep one BNIB?
You sound truly awfully, tacky and cheap

You want the kid to think you were rich enough to put one aside rather than be proud to inherit something he saw you wear? Sounds like it’s all about you...
Old 23 May 2022, 04:31 AM   #47
SPACE PEPSI
"TRF" Member

A lovely gesture from a loving and benevolent man. The mere fact that you cared so much to do that is priceless.

It's the same thing bestowing on someone a house or piece of land, firearms, art and antiquities, or even precious metals. Tastefully curated items of value that will likely continue to appreciate are usually well received.

It's even scriptural. The Bible tells us that a good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children. As well as, house and riches are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord. Provide the first couple, pray for the third.

Everybody puts a different value on different things whether it's an experience, or a tangible good. Gift-giving is just another one of the love languages. There's a good reason why it's been written that it's better to give than receive. Of course receiving sure feels good too!

It's a noteworthy and respectable thing to transfer wealth and love and such a classy and noble manner.
SPACE PEPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 04:47 AM   #48
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
How many can people can afford to turn a PM Daytona into a "Safe Queen" for 20 years. AND resist strapping it on your wrist?

That's my goal!

Of course in 20 years said Queen, will be a gift, to my first born Grandchild, not the investment aspect.
While it is an amazing gift and gesture, I say enjoy the heck out of it and then hand it down. It will have patina, and stories of "grandpas" watch where he sees you wearing it throughout his life and then handing it down to him.

I wish I could do the same, but I have 2 young kids at home who I intend on handing my watches down to and not sure if I am ready to think about grandkids!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 05:03 AM   #49
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Have you considered a birth year case of wine?

I would also think a worn watch with a real connection to the grandfather would have more emotional meaning over a mint watch.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 05:07 AM   #50
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I would rather have items used by my forefathers over items they merely possessed, but that's just me.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 05:48 AM   #51
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
To flip the question a bit….how would you feel if your grandchild took said watch and sold it ASAP because they simply didn’t understand/care about it as much as you?
Good on you to do this, but are you certain a $100k compounded over 20 years wouldn’t be better received?

Again, good on you either way
Old 23 May 2022, 05:53 AM   #52
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I get the question, Don. And to each their own. But squirrelling away a Rolex for a kid seems so misguided and a waste to me.

Wear it and build memories with them and the watch. Then restore it and hand it to them fresh as a daisy. They’ll love it more and you get to use it too.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 05:55 AM   #53
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I agree it would mean a lot more if it was a watch you wore every day for 20 years and then passed on.

I was at a watch show not too long ago and met a young man that inherited a Submariner from his father that he wore for many years. The amount this watch meant to this young man was hard to put into words, and it was extremely touching.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:25 AM   #54
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE PEPSI View Post
A lovely gesture from a loving and benevolent man. The mere fact that you cared so much to do that is priceless.

It's the same thing bestowing on someone a house or piece of land, firearms, art and antiquities, or even precious metals. Tastefully curated items of value that will likely continue to appreciate are usually well received.

It's even scriptural. The Bible tells us that a good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children. As well as, house and riches are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord. Provide the first couple, pray for the third.

Everybody puts a different value on different things whether it's an experience, or a tangible good. Gift-giving is just another one of the love languages. There's a good reason why it's been written that it's better to give than receive. Of course receiving sure feels good too!

It's a noteworthy and respectable thing to transfer wealth and love and such a classy and noble manner.
Thank you for so eloquently expressed the meaning and you took the words from my mouth!

Many years ago, I heard this “ the wealthy plan twenty years ahead or for generations…..
My housekeeper once thanked me for putting her daughter through college.

The residual rental incomes from my commercial properties should easily afford any further educational expenses for as many grands as my children bring into this world…..

So “squirrelling” is this old man’s hobby now….
Old 23 May 2022, 06:26 AM   #55
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I only wear watch to wear and for no other reason.
What I meant to say was that I only buy watches to wear. Geeze.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:51 AM   #56
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How many can people can afford

...not the investment aspect.

What's your question then?
WilsdorfNDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 09:21 AM   #57
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Donas you please. but buy two. and wear one
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 09:29 AM   #58
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

Silly idea. Put that money to work. In 20 years, buy a new one.

Grandkid won't want a stinky old Daytona anyway. They'll want the newest one.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 09:30 AM   #59
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Like wise but to some now Rolex watches are little more than £$€ object things.
Is this a bot account?

It seems to type the same thing on every discussion.
Old 23 May 2022, 01:32 PM   #60
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

PM watch for a 20 yr old??? How about a sub or GMT? Seems pretty excessive
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote