The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 27 March 2020, 07:13 AM   #3961
Burlington
"TRF" Member

My new gym has emailed out freezing all payments whilst they are closed. Can’t argue with that.

Also seems like our boys nursery won’t be charging either whilst he is off. I would have been happy to pay in order to secure the staffs wages but they will be backed by government now.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 27 March 2020, 07:19 AM   #3962
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Respectfully, I'm not sure "backtracks" is an accurate term to use. He is now stating that because of the social distancing measures that have been adopted + an anticipated increase in medical system capacity, the UK should (probably) be able to handle the load. The original report contained projections based on several different scenarios, one of which was the world literally doing nothing to stop the spread. Many people/media outlets latched onto the most dire projection, which is not the fault of the authors as the report clearly stated what the projections were based on.
Thanks Matthew. Article is somewhat of a jumble, but I tend to agree with your reading

Here is the link that works.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...pert-predicts/
Old 27 March 2020, 07:36 AM   #3963
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I am certainly impressed with the UKs response in this crisis.

I watched a news article earlier – London will by the end of next week have converted a modern conference centre to a 4000 bed hospital – done in 2 weeks. This model will be rolled out over the country.

Hundreds of thousands of medical staff have heeded calls to come out of retirement – I am genuinely moved by their generosity of heart and bravery (As I am to all those that serve us in this profession)

On the whole the population is now heeding government warnings and after the initial toilet roll grabbing panic have settled down and become calmer. Many people seem a lot friendlier and most will smile and shout hello and express gratitude to those working in the strategic jobs.
Old 27 March 2020, 07:42 AM   #3964
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
Hundreds of thousands of medical staff have heeded calls to come out of retirement – I am genuinely moved by their generosity of heart and bravery (As I am to all those that serve us in this profession)

On the whole the population is now heeding government warnings and after the initial toilet roll grabbing panic have settled down and become calmer. Many people seem a lot friendlier and most will smile and shout hello and express gratitude to those working in the strategic jobs.
I'm so glad to hear that and have a great deal of respect for what healthcare workers among others are doing globally to get us out of this.

The ordeal certainly has brought people together and it's nice to hear it as you've described.
Old 27 March 2020, 08:28 AM   #3965
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
News conference just took the estimate from 500,000 dead in the U.K. to 20,000.

Very exciting news.

Still tragic and dramatic. But maybe it’ll come down even more.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 27 March 2020, 08:30 AM   #3966
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Of course, if social distancing and shelter in place work, cases will be reduced/slowed. And some will point to that as evidence that nothing should have been done in the first place, as it was unnecessary and the threat was a phantom.

Once this wave is behind us, I wonder where public opinion will fall.

EDIT: I should point out I wrote that without reading other posts on this thread. It may seem like I am responding to some posts. I am not.
Old 27 March 2020, 08:33 AM   #3967
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
It’s easy to be consumed by the mundane details of our individual bubbles. Disease cares not for the money in your wallet or the passport in your pocket.

We should all be nicer to one another. And wash our hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 March 2020, 08:35 AM   #3968
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_s_shoe View Post
it’s easy to be consumed by the mundane details of our individual bubbles. Disease cares not for the money in your wallet or the passport in your pocket.

We should all be nicer to one another. And wash our hands.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
100%

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 27 March 2020, 08:36 AM   #3969
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

As an upcoming college grad with a job secured at a Bank, I’m wondering if anyone else on the forum is in the same position as myself with respect to being hired to start a new job. So far so good, the virus hasn’t cost me my job. I know other in travel industry weren’t so lucky and hopefully they will be working again soon. Stay safe and healthy!
Old 27 March 2020, 08:46 AM   #3970
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Personal communication from a colleague in Detroit regarding mandatory Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) orders for Coronavirus patients:

....the percentage of patients put on a ventilator who eventually get off them is in the single digits, and most of those are younger. Some US hospitals haven't been able to successfully wean anyone off ventilator support.
Old 27 March 2020, 09:10 AM   #3971
RWH
"TRF" Member

I haven't left my house in 6 days, literally not take a single step out. Today my throat started to feel sore and I've been a little dizzy. Not sure if its a sign. There is no one sick in the house so there is nothing for me to catch in regards to a cold or flu.
Old 27 March 2020, 09:22 AM   #3972
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWH View Post
I haven't left my house in 6 days, literally not take a single step out. Today my throat started to feel sore and I've been a little dizzy. Not sure if its a sign. There is no one sick in the house so there is nothing for me to catch in regards to a cold or flu.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a3...ry-cough-mean/
Old 27 March 2020, 09:26 AM   #3973
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
As an upcoming college grad with a job secured at a Bank, I’m wondering if anyone else on the forum is in the same position as myself with respect to being hired to start a new job. So far so good, the virus hasn’t cost me my job. I know other in travel industry weren’t so lucky and hopefully they will be working again soon. Stay safe and healthy!
Good luck to you, Mr. M. We're not exactly in the same position, but I started a new career/job in February, after 21+ years with a company everyone here knows. So far so good.

Again, best wishes to you. Stay safe.
Old 27 March 2020, 09:37 AM   #3974
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Might be a sign you need to get out for a bit.
Old 27 March 2020, 09:44 AM   #3975
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
In Queensland Australia they have just advised us that the virus has now moved into community transmission.

But they are having council elections and unless they change their mind right now and reverse this decision quickly they are opening polling booths and going ahead with voting.

I shook my head in disbelief?

Old 27 March 2020, 09:46 AM   #3976
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Personal communication from a colleague in Detroit regarding mandatory Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) orders for Coronavirus patients:

....the percentage of patients put on a ventilator who eventually get off them is in the single digits, and most of those are younger. Some US hospitals haven't been able to successfully wean anyone off ventilator support.
Have not heard this before and hope it is not true. Not doubting your source or information at all, just hoping that people with severe cases stand a chance to return home
Old 27 March 2020, 09:49 AM   #3977
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
The CDC says incubation period is 2 to 14 days. So it's not impossible that you got it. Call a doctor if it gets worse. If you were in contact with anyone confirmed positive, that will make it easier to get a test if you need one
Old 27 March 2020, 09:57 AM   #3978
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

This is amazing news. Small steps, hope these things become an avalanche.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/26/2...e-vacuum-motor
Old 27 March 2020, 10:00 AM   #3979
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
I wish you congratulations and best of luck in your new job.
My son graduates from law school in just 6 weeks. He has a great job offer from a “Big Law” type firm. I’m praying they don’t rescind their offer due to lower business volumes. On top of that, the Bars of many states are now discussing alternatives to holding the July exam. Of course his offer is contingent upon passing the bar.
Old 27 March 2020, 10:10 AM   #3980
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Good luck to you, Mr. M. We're not exactly in the same position, but I started a new career/job in February, after 21+ years with a company everyone here knows. So far so good.

Again, best wishes to you. Stay safe.
Thank you very much!
Old 27 March 2020, 10:10 AM   #3981
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
I wish you congratulations and best of luck in your new job.
My son graduates from law school in just 6 weeks. He has a great job offer from a “Big Law” type firm. I’m praying they don’t rescind their offer due to lower business volumes. On top of that, the Bars of many states are now discussing alternatives to holding the July exam. Of course his offer is contingent upon passing the bar.
Thank you and I wish your son all the best! Hope he is able to start on time!
Old 27 March 2020, 10:27 AM   #3982
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_State View Post
Have not heard this before and hope it is not true. Not doubting your source or information at all, just hoping that people with severe cases stand a chance to return home
I was shocked to hear about the dismal survival of vent patients too, but he is an academic physician at William Beaumont Hospital in West Bloomfield, Michigan, and this is the information his group was given.
Old 27 March 2020, 10:43 AM   #3983
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
I was shocked to hear about the dismal survival of vent patients too, but he is an academic physician at William Beaumont Hospital in West Bloomfield, Michigan, and this is the information his group was given.
Interesting. I watched the video below last night (physician at Cornell Medical in NYC). Skip to about 45:45. Very different summary of what's he seen so far. Shortness of breath that bad, get put on a vent, off the vent 7-10 days later (barring any major complications; maybe this "exception" is more frequent than suggested?). They have about 14 days of experience with this at this point -- maybe not enough cases to say this is the "norm".

Not trying to challenge what you're sharing at all, Joey (I'm a Joey too!). Appreciate all the insight you have provided us in this thread and I hope your daughter is feeling better by the day. Just wanted to share another physician's account that I just listened to last night.
Old 27 March 2020, 10:48 AM   #3984
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Much success. If they do get in a pinch, hopefully they will offer incentives for voluntary early retirement to people who might wish to get a package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 27 March 2020, 10:51 AM   #3985
makak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
In Queensland Australia they have just advised us that the virus has now moved into community transmission.

But they are having council elections and unless they change their mind right now and reverse this decision quickly they are opening polling booths and going ahead with voting.

I shook my head in disbelief?
The council elections baffle me. Where did you read about community transmission?
The next decision that Palache makes, will be her first. Wish we had some leadership up here, like southern states are displaying.
Old 27 March 2020, 10:54 AM   #3986
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That is dismal news.

In the case of severe ARDS, forgetting its cause of insult, the mortality rate is nearly 50%. And worse if immunodeficient.

I don’t know how many were on vents and their ages but it is a sobering matter.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 27 March 2020, 10:57 AM   #3987
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh my, that’s terrible and really bums me out. We were at Beaumont the other week (black ice and such), it’s a good hospital, they are caring and professional, not good to hear that.
Old 27 March 2020, 11:16 AM   #3988
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makak View Post
The council elections baffle me. Where did you read about community transmission?
The next decision that Palache makes, will be her first. Wish we had some leadership up here, like southern states are displaying.
https://int.search.tb.ask.com/search...=1585271680927

Old 27 March 2020, 11:19 AM   #3989
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Much success. If they do get in a pinch, hopefully they will offer incentives for voluntary early retirement to people who might wish to get a package.

Thank you very much!
Old 27 March 2020, 11:42 AM   #3990
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is why I was saying this is a VERY SCARY disease earlier this week.

This is NOT the flu. It is nothing like it. There are hospitals cancelling chemo treatments to make room for COVID patients.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread