The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2018, 10:11 AM   #31
SG56
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Aww, so happy you found a new love and even happier your daughter found her way back to good grades!

To a many happy memories with the new watch!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:20 AM   #32
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Congrats, enjoy making new memories with the GMT!

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 11:50 AM   #33
RC76
"TRF" Member

Awesome story. Sacrifice, hard work, and solid benefits at the end.
RC76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:56 PM   #34
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Beautiful post! congrats to you and especially your daughter! Well done I too am a physician, and always loved watches. Only have gotten seriously into the watch game in the last few years. The best is my son a soph at U Michigan is just as passionate. He loves my BLNR, was going to wait till he graduates but feel like surprising him with it now.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:17 PM   #35
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard in SA View Post
That is awesome! Congrats on the LN and your daughter's accomplishments I just opened up our 2 month old daughter's first savings account today.
Thanks. And congratulations to you as well on your new daughter.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:32 PM   #36
D O C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambonista View Post
Great story...happy ending. As we all know, for all of the complaints about supply issues, it is nice to know that your Rolex is liquid, and a ready reserve when circumstances require a cash infusion. Best of luck to you and your daughter, Jim.

P.S. I purchased a Batman for my son when he finished medical school. He was reluctant to wear it at first, as he would routinely look at his phone to determine the time, but now he has adjusted to wearing a watch, and never takes it off.
Thanks for the kind words. And congratulations to your son. I always felt "complete" when I had my watch one while in the hospital. In fact, I had a check list in my head that I went through every morning: watch, wallet, keys, pen, pager, palm pilot, hospital ID. If I got in a hurry and forgot my watch it was just a horrible day.

Old 14 August 2018, 03:43 PM   #37
D O C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. As others have already stated, I wouldn't feel bad about having to sell the old 5 digit Pepsi -- you (rightfully, in my mind) put the bigger priorities first. I'm very glad things seem to be working out across the board. Congrats on the ceramic GMT. It's the next chapter in this great story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Congrats on your new watch. Beautiful story, thanks for sharing. Sacrificing for family, especially in the form of selling some items, is a no brainer for me and obviously for you as well. Material things come and go, but family takes priority each and every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the time it was the easiest thing I ever did. I didn't bat an eye. The pain came later.

Old 14 August 2018, 03:44 PM   #38
D O C
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the kids words. Much appreciated.

Old 14 August 2018, 09:29 PM   #39
EmilA
"TRF" Member

Sold for a worthy cause, enjoy the new watch and wish your daughter all the best in her next steps
EmilA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:22 PM   #40
Jacksh
"TRF" Member

Amazing story, wear it in good health..
I love that ring next to the watch and the Montblanc pen.

Jacksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:46 PM   #41
Merlin69
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
A great story! Thanks for sharing it.
Congrats!
Old 15 August 2018, 02:20 AM   #42
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Great post! Congrats on the new GMT!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 02:28 AM   #43
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I enjoyed reading your story Jim.
Congratulations to both you and your daughter.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:11 AM   #44
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I can relate...I've dumped and flipped watches for all sorts of things along the way. For all sorts of reasons.

I always rationalized to myself that hey, I can always buy another one.

And you know what? I was right.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 05:20 AM   #45
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
A Tale of Loss, a Girl and Redemption. (Long post, pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D O C View Post
My long lost baby (first few pictures) GMT Master II 16710 Pepsi "P" 2001. I sold her almost two years ago for financial reasons. And I've regretted it ever since.

My daughter had gone to a private college and hadn't done that well the last two semesters. We decided she should take a break from the private college and attend the local community college, raise her grades, graduate with an Associates degree and then go back to the expensive and more prestigious private university. And she did it, raising her grades and graduating with her Associates degree from the community college. So, I needed to get her back into the private university and pay for tuition and books; I made the sacrifice and sold my 16710. There's not a day that went by that I didn't feel like I regretted that decision. I thought I would have that watch the rest of my life and I would pass it down to one of my daughters or my grandson. A little over a year after selling it I went back to the dealer to try and buy it back or to find out where it ended up. He just told me that he'd sold it to another dealer at a watch show or somewhere. I knew then that I'd never see my watch again. I thought about it for awhile and shopped around and realized that I didn't want another 16710, I wanted MY 16710. I thought of all the memories I had with that watch as I had received it as a gift after graduating medical school. I went through residency training with that watch, taught all my daughters and a grandson to swim in that watch and any picture traveling or family event there is my 16710 right there like another family member. I'd obtained the additional Coke and Expresso bezel inserts to go with the Pepsi and had enjoyed switching with the seasons or on a whim. My next step was to get a jubilee bracelet at some point, but I never did. And I learned I'd taken my watch for granted. You don't know what you really have until its gone...

By March of this year life had been very good through my job and several opportunities had come to fruition. The amount of this extra income could probably buy me a gold President DD per year now, and come close to a Platinum DD. But you figure in doing smart things like putting back for income taxes, things needed around the house, charities, savings and 401k that best not to just consume it all. I decided early on that I'd definitely go with the DJ41, blue dial with the jubilee bracelet...until I tried it on and realized it seemed too blingy to me; it wasn't my style though I loved the watch. But I knew I'd always be a sport watch person. Next I was totally sure it'd be the Submariner Date, just couldn't decide between the classic 16610 or the 116610LN. I researched the heck out of these watches. But it wasn't until a chance meeting and seeing the 16710LN GMT Master II in person that I seen that it was the watch for me. Granted I'd had my reservations about the PCLs for some time and read over and over how easily they scratch. And the ceramic bezel as well; I'd read here in TRF years ago how that some were saying they shatter easily. In fact, I swore when they first starting making the ceramic insert for the bezel that I'd never own one. Having owned and wore a 16710 for 15 years I didn't like the new Maxi dial, I thought it looked too clownish and gimmicky. All that fell by the way side when I seen it and tried it on. I loved seeing that Oyster bracelet again. But this time with that nice thick boxy case, larger Crown and crown guards, and I loved seeing the platinum numbers on the dial. I can't say there is just one thing I love about it. The thick, substantial bracelet continues to impress me. The cyclops for the date, but now with the greenish-purple sheen of the AR coating, has always been a nice part of having a Rolex watch. So I contacted my man DavidSW and told him what I wanted. He had it within a week, bank wire was sent and I had it by FedEx the next day.

When the watch arrived and I put it on it was a perfect fit; no adjustments needed just like my previous watch. In fact, I felt like I had my old 16710 on from the profile. I like owning and wearing an updated Rolex watch with all the newest features. Unless it was my original 16710, I don't think I could ever go back. The wait was over. My watch was here and home now. I hope you enjoy the pictures, both old and new.

Epilogue: My daughter is doing well as an Art major. She is now a Senior and will graduate next May with a Bachelor's in Studio Art.

An old friend.

My new friend.

Nice choice, the LN is a more versatile GMT watch (in my mind) than the BLNR or BLRO versions.

As for your original GMT don’t loose faith in finding it, maybe one day will return home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Nice story. I don't think you should have regret over selling your watch, you should be proud. You put your family first and it is only a watch in the end. Many times we miss what we don't have but I check myself and look at all of the other positives in my life. You did the right thing. I like your new watch and you already have great memories as to how it got on your wrist.

Couldn’t say it better, family comes first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 05:38 AM   #46
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
awesome family story, doc.
Cheers to the new baby and your daughter graduating very soon.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 07:06 AM   #47
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Thank you for sharing Jim... congrats on the watch and your daughter for a soon to be graduate. I hope you get a 16710 down the road.
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 07:37 AM   #48
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
I loved this story. a great memory and victory in the end.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 08:47 AM   #49
Five12Free
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Had a good time reading your post OP
Five12Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 09:00 AM   #50
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Great story, thanks for sharing!
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 09:27 AM   #51
Heartlandblaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Humble but mine!
What a fabulous story. That first watch that brought you so much joy continued to bring you joy and pride in the form of supporting your daughter. It gave both of you the opportunity for a fresh start and the new watch and her pending graduation are simply the joyful next chapters in you’re lives. Wear the new watch in great health and every time you look at it should bring a smile of satisfaction for an investment that continues to pay dividends!!

Heartlandblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 01:15 PM   #52
D O C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksh View Post
Amazing story, wear it in good health..
I love that ring next to the watch and the Montblanc pen.

Thanks for saying. Me and my wife have matching rings. We got them for our 20th anniversary; that was 11 years ago! Its in the Hebrew as you know, I am my beloved and my beloved is mine from the Song of Solomon. Thanks for noticing!

Old 15 August 2018, 01:18 PM   #53
D O C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I can relate...I've dumped and flipped watches for all sorts of things along the way. For all sorts of reasons.

I always rationalized to myself that hey, I can always buy another one.

And you know what? I was right.
Wow you have fortitude! It took all I had just to do it once.

Old 15 August 2018, 01:28 PM   #54
D O C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Nice choice, the LN is a more versatile GMT watch (in my mind) than the BLNR or BLRO versions.

As for your original GMT don’t loose faith in finding it, maybe one day will return home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree. It to me looks like the James Bond watch more than the Submariner. Its platinum and black bezel and black and white dial make it high contrast, and the steel bracelet makes me think of a tuxedo. I think it dresses up or dresses down with more versatility than any other watch, IMHO.

Old 15 August 2018, 02:54 PM   #55
Watchdaytona
"TRF" Member

Lovely story, and what a sacrifice. The new watch is one of my favourites and if you tire of it you could always trade it towards a 16710 from a trusted seller but at this point I think I would stick with the new version. I love both of those watches and think maybe a little change is good here and there and the updated GMT is a beauty
Watchdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:18 PM   #56
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the LN!
Thanks for sharing your story.

My parents offered to buy me a Rolex when I graduated from med school, but I wasn't into Rolex's back then.
More than 10 years later, I bought myself an LN. Was traveling a fair bit at the time, and the GMT was a perfect addition to my life.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote