The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2018, 09:35 AM   #1
1Second
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Question for those with President and/or jubilee bracelets

How is the comfort with the hidden clasp? Do you find yourself wishing your bracelet has some quick/easy way to make fine adjustments on the fly?

I’m thinking about adding either a DJ36 (jubilee with hidden clasp), a DJ41 (jubilee with easy link clasp), or possibly even a DayDate40 (with president bracelet) as a second watch. As we know, a DD40 is in another league in terms of price. So, naturally I’m concerned about spending that much on a watch only to find it’s not comfortable all the time.

I currently have a SD4K which of course has the glidelock clasp, and I find myself using it quite often throughout the seasons/months to make quick/fine adjustments. Extremely useful.

As an aside, I was recently very interested in a SS SkyDweller. However & unfortunately, I’ve ruled it out since it is too big for my 6.5” wrist.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Pete
1Second is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 09:51 AM   #2
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The Super Jubilee bracelet is very comfortable.

I love it and I don't understand the substantial hate the bracelet garners on this website.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:07 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The Jubilees are very comfortable. It's my preference over the Oyster.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:52 AM   #4
1Second
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
The Super Jubilee bracelet is very comfortable.

I love it and I don't understand the substantial hate the bracelet garners on this website.

Thanks. I haven’t really noticed much hate towards the jubilee on this forum. Although, I must admit, I used to think that the jubilee was a little too feminine looking for my taste. However, I’ve come to really like the look and will definitely have it on the next watch... either with the hidden clasp or easy link. My wife has a DJ31 with a super jubilee bracelet and I think it looks quite nice.
Old 14 August 2018, 10:56 AM   #5
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Second View Post
Thanks. I haven’t really noticed much hate towards the jubilee on this forum. Although, I must admit, I used to think that the jubilee was a little too feminine looking for my taste. However, I’ve come to really like the look and will definitely have it on the next watch... either with the hidden clasp or easy link. My wife has a DJ31 with a super jubilee bracelet and I think it looks quite nice.

It may be a small group, but they can be quite verbal.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 01:23 PM   #6
s15blk
"TRF" Member

My preference: oysters with glidelock > Jubilee with hidden clasp > oyster with easylink. I have all 3 in my small collection.
s15blk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

The DJ41. With easy link. Comfort extroidinaire.

The DD40. Great to think about owning. In reality, not so much.

Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 02:19 PM   #8
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
DD40 is the way to go. The key is to wear it slightly looser and it will be comfortable. I’m talking slightly, not super loosely.
Old 14 August 2018, 02:35 PM   #9
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
DD40 is the way to go. The key is to wear it slightly looser and it will be comfortable. I’m talking slightly, not super loosely.
Perhaps in Stockholm. In Florida, there is no great fit.
Old 14 August 2018, 02:37 PM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Both the jubilee and president bracelets are very comfortable to me compared to oyster.....then again I don't know if I can complain about the comfort on an oyster either?
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 05:03 PM   #11
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Both very comfortable and a perfect fit can be achieved with the 1.5 or 1.25 links.
I prefer both over the Oyster, comfort wise and aesthetically
Old 14 August 2018, 06:22 PM   #12
Mephist
"TRF" Member

To me the jubilee with hidden clasp is the most comfortable bracelet I have ever tried and it fits me perfectly, so I am very happy with it. I never miss the easy link from the oyster at all.

Old 14 August 2018, 08:15 PM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I preferr the SS jubilee. Its lighter and feels like its not there. The president feels good too. Just that the weight of the watch is there so it is a little heavier

I prefer jubilee and president over the oyester
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 08:56 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Once you get used to adjustability on the fly with bracelet watches it can become difficult to not have it. I have a DD II and have been around about the bracelet and have decided that it works for the watch and no, it is not the glide lock, but it was not intended to be.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 11:29 PM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
How is the comfort with the hidden clasp? Do you find yourself wishing your bracelet has some quick/easy way to make fine adjustments on the fly?
You are wise to contemplate the lack of adjustability on the DD before your purchase. It is disappointing for a watch of this stature not to have any means to adjust it other than adding or removing links. However, it is not a war stopper. At least in my opinion.

There is a 1.25 link available and you can pretty much dial in the perfect fit by using one or two of these. They are insanely expensive (of course), but if you're looking at spending nearly 30k on a watch and not having it fit, that's pretty insane as well. IMO.

I put one on my DD40 and the fit is absolutely perfect...one of the most comfortable watches I own. Well worth the money.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:06 AM   #16
1Second
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. Sounds like I probably won’t have/notice any comfort issues with either the super jubilee or president bracelets. Jubilee with easy link may be the best combination of the two (the looks of a jubilee with the adjustability of an oyster). Of course, the downside being you don’t get that nice continuous look of a hidden clasp and the polished center of the oyster clasp will get/show scratches more easily.

Now, I just have to decide if a DJ will be good enough, or if I should just go for the moon and splurge on a DD40!
Old 15 August 2018, 12:55 AM   #17
1Second
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
...There is a 1.25 link available and you can pretty much dial in the perfect fit by using one or two of these. They are insanely expensive (of course)...
Thank you. If I may ask, what would one of those 1.25 links for the president in white gold run? $1000?
Old 15 August 2018, 01:23 AM   #18
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. If I may ask, what would one of those 1.25 links for the president in white gold run? $1000?
I think single links for my DD40 were $300. I don't remember there being a 1.5 link...

The key phrase there, is "pretty much". Yeah, you can pretty much make it fit right. Pretty much, wasn't good enough for me.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:58 AM   #19
1Second
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
I think single links for my DD40 were $300. I don't remember there being a 1.5 link...

The key phrase there, is "pretty much". Yeah, you can pretty much make it fit right. Pretty much, wasn't good enough for me.
Thank you for the info and heads-up. Guess I just have to be prepared for & accept that a perfect fit for all occasions may not be possible with a president bracelet.
Old 15 August 2018, 04:02 AM   #20
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
More like about $800-850ish if I remember correctly. Well worth it, though.

It turned a probable flip into one of my favorite watches. I'd say it was worth it.
Old 15 August 2018, 04:06 AM   #21
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I have a DD40 and the bracelet is very comfortable. It is one of my favorite watches.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:08 AM   #22
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post

It's not a 1.5, it's 1.25.

And...it's all subjective. Let me put it this way. For a bracelet that doesn't have the means to micro adjust, you can still dial in a great fit (albeit it is going to cost you). Which in my case is plenty good enough.
Old 15 August 2018, 04:55 AM   #23
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

I own both super jubilee and oyster on my dj36 and find the oyster much more comfortable. I just can’t get a good fit with the super jubilee, it’ll be either looser than I’d like or tighter than I want. Even tried the 1.25 link and still couldn’t get a good fit. So I do wear it slightly looser because it’s better than being too tight but while it lacks in fitment it makes up for it in the looks department.
Old 15 August 2018, 04:59 AM   #24
1Second
"TRF" Member

Great feedback. Thanks again everyone. I can see both sides regarding adjustability of the president bracelet.

A $30K watch should already have the ultimate (quick) adjustability without having to purchase additional links. Perhaps Rolex should include one extra in-between link size (like a 1.25) with every DD40 watch. At this price point, one could argue it should already be included as a standard. I know... Rolex would never do this. Customer Service/focus does not appear to be one of the corner stones of their business model. Hard to argue since they have been immensely successful.

The other side of the argument for not providing any additional adjustability is... most people who have a modern day president bracelet are probably perfectly happy with the comfort/feel with just a few of the standard links removed. The few owners who need/want a little more fine tuning can accept having to purchase a 1.5 or 1.25 link to make it just right for them.

I’m probably more in the first camp. So, if I end up going for a DD40, I’ll just hope that I won’t feel the need to purchase additional links to get the fit/feel I want.

Cheers, everyone!
Old 15 August 2018, 05:12 AM   #25
1Second
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
I own both super jubilee and oyster on my dj36 and find the oyster much more comfortable. I just can’t get a good fit with the super jubilee, it’ll be either looser than I’d like or tighter than I want. Even tried the 1.25 link and still couldn’t get a good fit. So I do wear it slightly looser because it’s better than being too tight but while it lacks in fitment it makes up for it in the looks department.
Yeah, I prefer the look of the super jubilee and president bracelet (due to the hidden clasp). At the end of the day, I would trade a little comfort for looks. Of course, if I go for a DJ41 with a jubilee, then I have no choice since all jubilees for this model are now fitted with an oyster clasp.

As they say, life is about compromises...
Old 15 August 2018, 05:16 AM   #26
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I've owned two DJs with hidden clasp and loved the look but never quite got the fit that worked every day. With one link out it was too tight and one link added was too loose. I actually ordered (and then cancelled) a 1 1/4 link and think that would have solved my problem. The reason I cancelled was that I flipped my last DJ (36mm) for a new DJ41 with easylink as soon as they came out. Problem definitely solved and I love this look too.
Old 15 August 2018, 05:45 AM   #27
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

I own both the DJ 41 in jubilee, as well as the DD40. I prefer the jubilee over the president band because of the easy link. It really does make that much of a difference throughout the day.

Unfortunately with my president, I was one of the few that had the issue where that one added/minus link caused it to be too big/small. I had to get the extra 1 1/4 link which wasn't cheap.

Although the DD is on another level, comfort to me is everything. My DJ 41 is my most comfortable watch to wear.

Hope this helps
BzKneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 06:08 AM   #28
1Second
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
I've owned two DJs with hidden clasp and loved the look but never quite got the fit that worked every day. With one link out it was too tight and one link added was too loose. I actually ordered (and then cancelled) a 1 1/4 link and think that would have solved my problem. The reason I cancelled was that I flipped my last DJ (36mm) for a new DJ41 with easylink as soon as they came out. Problem definitely solved and I love this look too.
Thanks, Ron. I almost pulled the trigger this past weekend on a DJ41, flutted bezel, black stick dial, jubilee. However, I decided to hold off because for some reason I just wasn’t getting that same WOW feeling that I got when I first tried on & purchased my SD4K. I do get that WOW feeling every time I try on a DD40. So, the big question I have to ask myself... Is paying an additional $18-20K for a DD40 worth it to get that WOW feeling (while also realizing that the additional $18-20K may also result in less adjustability/comfort)?
Old 15 August 2018, 06:45 AM   #29
1Second
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzKneez View Post
I own both the DJ 41 in jubilee, as well as the DD40. I prefer the jubilee over the president band because of the easy link. It really does make that much of a difference throughout the day.

Unfortunately with my president, I was one of the few that had the issue where that one added/minus link caused it to be too big/small. I had to get the extra 1 1/4 link which wasn't cheap.

Although the DD is on another level, comfort to me is everything. My DJ 41 is my most comfortable watch to wear.

Hope this helps
Thank you. Your perspective does help. Decisions, decisions...

Well, if I go the DJ41 route, then I can also immediately splurge without guilt on my other hobby/passion... high end TV’s. I’ve had my eye on the new 77” LG OLED (or 77” Sony OLED) TV for a while. I currently have a 65” LG OLED but want something bigger!!