The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2023, 08:22 PM   #1
Palex
"TRF" Member

So, if TRF could choose, with whom would AP's next collab be?

Armis was curious to know and so am I. Can a brand please everybody? What would be the "right" collab partner for AP according the readers here?

And why? With what watch?

So many questions… Fire away!
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 09:27 PM   #2
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Opposite end of the spectrum. King Charles RO
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 09:35 PM   #3
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

But I'm also a buyer of the travis scott, if I could get one.
Old 4 December 2023, 09:51 PM   #4
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
But I'm also a buyer of the travis scott, if I could get one.
If you had carte blanche, would Scott have come to your mind as someone (or group/organization) you’d reach out to for a collaboration? That’s okay if so, but AP designers can include the same features they used in the Cactus watch, so you’re not bound to that presentation…which probably could have included a ceramic bracelet for that price).

To make this even a bit more interesting, the collaboration doesn’t necessarily have to be with someone still living…but at least let’s keep it within the 21st century;)
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 11:23 PM   #5
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

There were quite a few comments in the other thread about mixing in elements of old school watch making with the new generation, I'm definitely in that camp. Travis Scott would not have been my top pick. I would have gone Pharrell Williams, that would have been a great intersection of fashion and culture and think it pushes the AP brand far enough into the hip hop world.

I take much less liking to the ALYX collab than I do to this travis scott collab. There are some elements of the TS I don't like, but there are elements that I love. I would definitely buy one if allocated, can't say the same on any of the ALYX releases.
Old 4 December 2023, 11:28 PM   #6
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

John Mayer would be cool as he seems to be a big fan of the brand
Old 5 December 2023, 01:00 AM   #7
Uppersouth
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SWISS

I would focus on Jasmine and Olivier Audemars. Direct descendants that walk into the same offices as the founders did almost 150 years ago. Seems a story worth telling and limited editions worth creating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 01:05 AM   #8
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There were quite a few comments in the other thread about mixing in elements of old school watch making with the new generation, I'm definitely in that camp. Travis Scott would not have been my top pick. I would have gone Pharrell Williams, that would have been a great intersection of fashion and culture and think it pushes the AP brand far enough into the hip hop world.

I take much less liking to the ALYX collab than I do to this travis scott collab. There are some elements of the TS I don't like, but there are elements that I love. I would definitely buy one if allocated, can't say the same on any of the ALYX releases.
Pharell Williams is creative director of Louis Vuitton (LVMH), so not free to collab with AP. Cool guy for a collab for sure!
Old 5 December 2023, 01:11 AM   #9
APhound
"TRF" Member

A his and hers Travis kelce Taylor swift set would be nice.

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 01:42 AM   #10
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
If AP wants to continue the music connection, I would vote for Yuja Wang. One of the greatest living pianists, young, hip, completely on brand for AP.
https://www.classicfm.com/artists/yu...career-family/
SoylentGreenChi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 02:16 AM   #11
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
Pharell Williams is creative director of Louis Vuitton (LVMH), so not free to collab with AP. Cool guy for a collab for sure!
Not so much... Pharell is with Rafa Nadal biggest Richard Mille ambassador, and even his colab with RM is done before LMVH director role he wears multiple RMs during his creative director days and even wears them at official LMVH events, parties and meetings...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 02:27 AM   #12
Broadbear
"TRF" Member

Ed Sheeran is a big AP fan already, so why not him?

Broadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 02:55 AM   #13
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agreed, Pharrell was a suggestion I also on the other thread. He previously designed a piece for RM. But for me this question is more challenging than it seems at first read. Taking this very seriously, I would need to balance a number of strategic business, marketing, sociocultural, historic, philanthropic, etc. dimensions to a collaboration. I guess that’s why FHB is head honcho, because he has a well honed ability to do all this better than others. Got to respect that.
Old 5 December 2023, 03:23 AM   #14
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Agreed, Pharrell was a suggestion I also on the other thread. He previously designed a piece for RM. But for me this question is more challenging than it seems at first read. Taking this very seriously, I would need to balance a number of strategic business, marketing, sociocultural, historic, philanthropic, etc. dimensions to a collaboration. I guess that’s why FHB is head honcho, because he has a well honed ability to do all this better than others. Got to respect that.
Actually you are wrong on this. The only thing FHB done is get those people with a swiss luxury watch brand and that was the only "break the rules" in the whole story. The only other thing he looked at was to get the biggest in the game and that's not breaking or different from majority of other fashion, sneaker, electronic, soda, beer, consumer goods brand. Play it safe with ambassadors, and in 90% he play it bad because most of the time he choose unloyal ones... yes, got the hYp3 if that was the whole point. But for me it will never be, and we have splendid examples of great brand ambassadors in watch industry...
Old 5 December 2023, 03:50 AM   #15
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

It seemed that at least the Travis Scott collaboration was not part of a grand corporate strategy, but something FHB personally was keen to do, similar to the Marvel thing. Not sure if Ilaria Resta is the type for that.

I personally think the Carolina Bucci and Anita Porchet collaborations were great, and point in a much less controversial direction for the future (where the weight of the partner's contribution comes from their design/technical artistry, rather than their name).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 04:05 AM   #16
Palex
"TRF" Member

But I still don't see a lot of suggestions for other "collab prospects"
Old 5 December 2023, 04:16 AM   #17
edo
"TRF" Member

Bucci is, after Arnold who was and is a perfect ROO ambassador, best colab AP ever done. Hope they will continue to colaborate and that we will see some new editions...
Old 5 December 2023, 04:36 AM   #18
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Not quite right but how about composer Hans Zimmer?

Not mainstream enough or sufficiently in the public image but seems like a better fit for AP in my mind.

Hopefully some better suggestions follow as it’s an interesting thread

ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 04:57 AM   #19
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
The current direction would suggest George Santos.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 05:21 AM   #20
Yanagimachi
"TRF" Member

Bjarke Ingels, the architect behind their Musée Atelier.
Yanagimachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 05:37 AM   #21
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
AP does not need collaborators. Focus on classic timeless design and create a rare LE when needed.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 06:37 AM   #22
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Blackpink. Black ceramic ro with pink dial
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 06:59 AM   #23
Il Tifoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
If AP wants to continue the music connection, I would vote for Yuja Wang. One of the greatest living pianists, young, hip, completely on brand for AP.
https://www.classicfm.com/artists/yu...career-family/
Would 1000% agree - would love to see this happen!
Il Tifoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 06:59 AM   #24
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Idris Elba.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 07:26 AM   #25
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
I’d be more interested in more collaborations with artisans. Give someone who is the best in their field at a certain type of finishing - enamel painting for example - a Royal Oak (or Code), and let the person create something incredible and truly special. As an example the Bucci collaboration with the hammered finish (frosted effect) Royal Oak was to me fantastic, exploring design, and regardless of if you liked it or not, I think the work can be admired.

I personally hate collaborations with celebrities who have no connection to watch design and think they cheapen the brand.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 07:55 AM   #26
Armis
"TRF" Member

Interestingly, besides the Yuja Wang and Pharrell suggestions, it seems TRF is having a harder time than I would have expected proposing good collabs.
Okay, I’ll give it a try. While my options won’t necessarily be the most researched from the business strategy perspective, I do want to prioritize wide sociocultural significance along with philanthropic track record.
Within the scope of musical collabs, I would consider the following (in no particular order of priority…lest TRF bite my head off ):

-Pitbull
-John Legend
-Rihanna
-Dr. Dre
-Beyoncé
+/- JayZ

Separately, based on a purely personal curiosity, within the scope of artist collaborations, I remember the Richard Mille piece made with the graffiti artist Cyril Kongo, which I found immensely impressive with Kongo’s intimate hands-on contribution to each piece. But RM already did the Kongo thing. So, instead I would propose Takashi Murakami as I’d be curious to see what ideas may emerge.
Old 5 December 2023, 08:01 AM   #27
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Interestingly, besides the Yuja Wang and Pharrell suggestions, it seems TRF is having a harder time than I would have expected proposing good collabs.
Okay, I’ll give it a try. While my options won’t necessarily be the most researched from the business strategy perspective, I do want to prioritize wide sociocultural significance along with philanthropic track record.
Within the scope of musical collabs, I would consider the following (in no particular order of priority…lest TRF bite my head off ):

-Pitbull
-John Legend
-Rihanna
-Dr. Dre
-Beyoncé
+/- JayZ

Separately, based on a purely personal curiosity, within the scope of artist collaborations, I remember the Richard Mille piece made with the graffiti artist Cyril Kongo, which I found immensely impressive with Kongo’s intimate hands-on contribution to each piece. But RM already did the Kongo thing. So, instead I would propose Takashi Murakami as I’d be curious to see what ideas may emerge.
Maybe this but with octagonal bezel...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CL728C_1.jpg (189.6 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Hublot-Classic-Fusion-Takashi-Murakami-Sapphire-Rainbow-watch-4.jpg (209.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 5 December 2023, 08:10 AM   #28
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
AP X Conkers

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 08:10 AM   #29
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Maybe this but with octagonal bezel...
Oh dang, I didn’t realize Murakami already did something with Hublot!
Thanks for sharing this. It kills my idea, but I guess I was going in right direction.
Old 5 December 2023, 08:16 AM   #30
Gandor
"TRF" Member

AP already sponsors a bunch of artists through AP contemporary, they should be pulling in those guys to do limited runs on watches.