The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 November 2019, 02:05 PM   #61
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Movement appears genuine, case doesn't. Also, dial seems messed with.

What I would do?
I would want to make it good to wear and enjoy. That would mean full service and replacing the non-genuine parts with service parts.

If you take it to RSC or an authorized service they ll inspect the watch and tell you exactly what the deal is.
They can also provide you an estimate of what it costs to service and make it all with genuine parts.
Old 5 November 2019, 02:08 PM   #62
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Movement appears genuine, case doesn't. Also, dial seems messed with.

What I would do?
I would want to make it good to wear and enjoy. That would mean full service and replacing the non-genuine parts with service parts.

If you take it to RSC or an authorized service they ll inspect the watch and tell you exactly what the deal is.
They can also provide you an estimate of what it costs to service and make it all with genuine parts.
Will RSC service something this old? I was under impression that most watches with pre 15xx calibers weren't accepted at RSC's anymore.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 02:10 PM   #63
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Send it to Philip Ridley and let him analyze it. He can give an honest determination of what is genuine and what is questionable. He can also service it correctly so that it will run for years to come.
Old 5 November 2019, 07:37 PM   #64
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Case is probably fine. It is just re-engraved. Serial looks to be 398xxx which is perfect to begin with. My guess is that it has been serviced by someone independant that have taken the parts they had, re-engraved the case and refinished the dial. Something not uncommon at all for a watch in the 60’s.
Old 5 November 2019, 07:54 PM   #65
mohamedalimam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Some of it is clearly newer than 1962, so you'll probably never be able to determine the whole history, and because of the replacement parts, the sentimental value to you far exceeds the value to anyone else.

I say just enjoy the heck out of it and don't go down the rabbit hole. Don't try to figure out when and where the parts were added, and don't even think about value.
100% agreement on this, just enjoy the memories wearing it in good health and don't overthink it.
mohamedalimam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 11:36 PM   #66
"TRF" Member

Wondering if this is not a replacement case from a independent watch maker.

You can see the remains of the original serial number on the case which does not correspond to the serial number of this watch that is hand scribed in.

Quite certain this is a replacement case just not a new replacement case from official Rolex repair.

Every replacement case I have ever seen has had the serial number scribed in the case back. This watch has the serial number scribed in the case back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
62396241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 12:19 AM   #67
cardiel
"TRF" Member

100% agreement on this, just enjoy the memories wearing it in good health and don't overthink it.

X2
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 12:39 AM   #68
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

These ‘I just got a free Rolex and is it authentic?’ threads are a train wreck. Who knows what’s the real story. This is the internet for goodness sakes. The land of make-believe.

If the OP is serious about determining if his watch is real or not, all he has to do is send it to RSC for an service estimate. He will get back a quote that details what’s required, what’s not required, and if it’s fake or not. It’s a free estimate, and it doesn’t require him to get the work done.

And yes, for those of us that hate RSC, then he should send it to an AD or an independant. But, anything other than posting photos on the internet and asking strangers.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 12:56 AM   #69
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
This thread is a fun rollercoaster ride and I like how it evolves. The OP clearly proves himself to be the real deal, just looking for some clarity on his dad’s watch. Some of the history is blurry but that’s totally normal for a watch if this age. Today we’re obsessed with papers and when something was serviced and with what parts, but this was so not the case back when you had a watch and you wanted the darn thing to work. I think the mystery of these things is fun to piece together and it tells some of the story of the OP’s father’s life. I’m glad that it has triggered an interest from him in these magical old watches and maybe he will become a new fellow enthusiast. That’s a good thing from my perspective.

I’m curious about the service in Switzerland in the 60s. Shipping a watch to Geneva for a service has never been routine as far as I know. Some more clarity on that part of the history might shed some light.

If I were in your position, OP, I’d take it to RSC and have them put service parts on anything that may not be genuine and wear the heck out of it. Trying to source original parts would be way too expensive and the watch would then be worth so much that you probably wouldn’t even wear it much.

Congratulations on your heirloom.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 01:27 AM   #70
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post
But, anything other than posting photos on the internet and asking strangers.
Isn't that the whole point and framework of this, or any, internet forum? I get what you're saying in terms of definitively resolving a question or concern by sending it of to RSC, if one chooses. But short of that, I can't see the harm is seeking some insight and advice on a forum like this. I mean, you, yourself, offered some great advice! How would he even know sending it RSC was a valid option without first reaching out by starting a thread here and getting a reply like yours?

And, to be fair, some of these "strangers" know a hell of a lot about they're talking about.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 03:36 AM   #71
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Isn't that the whole point and framework of this, or any, internet forum? I get what you're saying in terms of definitively resolving a question or concern by sending it of to RSC, if one chooses. But short of that, I can't see the harm is seeking some insight and advice on a forum like this. I mean, you, yourself, offered some great advice! How would he even know sending it RSC was a valid option without first reaching out by starting a thread here and getting a reply like yours?

And, to be fair, some of these "strangers" know a hell of a lot about they're talking about.
Agree with what your saying. But, assuming this is a legitimate post (he really did get it from a relative and is just looking for insight as to what he has), well-intended internet comments will only go so far.

Disclaimer: when I came into my 1979 18038 DD this year, I took it to RSC NY. They worked up an estimate and told me everything about the watch: service issues; aftermarket parts, costs, recommended service items, real parts that couldn’t be serviced, everything I wanted to know. My one and only thread details this experience. But, yes, for me that approach was best for me.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 07:33 AM   #72
Karl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post
Agree with what your saying. But, assuming this is a legitimate post (he really did get it from a relative and is just looking for insight as to what he has), well-intended internet comments will only go so far.

Disclaimer: when I came into my 1979 18038 DD this year, I took it to RSC NY. They worked up an estimate and told me everything about the watch: service issues; aftermarket parts, costs, recommended service items, real parts that couldn’t be serviced, everything I wanted to know. My one and only thread details this experience. But, yes, for me that approach was best for me.
Yup, thats all I was looking for is some opinions and advice. I think my next step is to contact a RSC and get it looked at and serviced. Unfortunately I have to send it since Im in Colorado. There is a local vintage watch dealer/service that works on Rolex watches but after reading some of the posts here Im a little nervous to bring it to whomever.
Karl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 07:43 AM   #73
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl. View Post
Yup, thats all I was looking for is some opinions and advice. I think my next step is to contact a RSC and get it looked at and serviced. Unfortunately I have to send it since Im in Colorado. There is a local vintage watch dealer/service that works on Rolex watches but after reading some of the posts here Im a little nervous to bring it to whomever.
Rolex will just tell you to get a new case, new dial, new hands and do a normal service. Be lucky if it stops at let’s say 3k.

Your picture of the re-engraved serial shows a proper stamp which is worn off and then redone with some odd number. It is most likely authentic as the font of the serial looks ok. You also know the history so why would it be fake? The dial is refinished and the hands and insert is later. What else do you want to know? Value is hard as the watch is just odd parts not belonging together. Selling it would not be my first decision as it probably means more to you than it will bring money.

My suggestion is that you keep and enjoy as is. It’s a nice memory of your father.
Old 6 November 2019, 07:53 AM   #74
Karl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Rolex will just tell you to get a bew case, new dial, new hands and do a normal service. Be lucky if it stops at let’s say 3k.

Your picture of the re-engraved serial shows a proper stamp which is worn off and then redone with some odd number. It is most likely authentic as the font of the serial looks ok. You also know the history so why would it be fake? The dial is refinished and the hands and insert is later. What else do you want to know? Value is hard as the watch is just odd parts not belonging together. Selling it would not be my first decision as it probably means more to you than it will bring money.

My suggestion is that you keep and enjoy as is. It’s a nice memory of your father.
Great advice and thanks!!!
Old 10 November 2019, 08:53 AM   #75
Karl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
More pics...

Looks like a serial number above the etched numbers but it is too worn to make out. I tried various angles.
Found this interesting

Rolex preowned vintage 1954 ref B 1055 automatic movement for Rolex antiques Models vintages watches : #6510, 6511, 6611, 6612, 6613...

Cal. 1055 / BPH: 18000 / Year: 1954.

Collectible, discontinued!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191109_12764.jpg (77.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 12 November 2019, 08:58 AM   #76
Karl.
"TRF" Member

Took the watch in to a vintage watch shop to get serviced today. Will cost 2k. Case is authentic, dial is ROLEX refinished along with a few other parts. Said its still worth about 15k give or take. Im going to keep it and wear the heck out of it and hopefully hand it down to my kids.
Old 12 November 2019, 09:01 AM   #77
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Took the watch in to a vintage watch shop to get serviced today. Will cost 2k. Case is authentic, dial is ROLEX refinished along with a few other parts. Said its still worth about 15k give or take. Im going to keep it and wear the heck out of it and hopefully hand it down to my kids.
Is it an independent watch maker? Do they have a Rolex account? You dont want them putting aftermarket parts in the watch
Old 12 November 2019, 09:03 AM   #78
Karl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Is it an independent watch maker? Do they have a Rolex account? You dont want them putting aftermarket parts in the watch
Yes they have a ROLEX account. He only deals with vintage watches and said he has original parts to the watch on hand
Old 12 November 2019, 09:07 AM   #79
Karl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://knightwatchonline.com/
Old 12 November 2019, 09:17 AM   #80
1665fan
"TRF" Member

He has an original gilt dial? I would like to see that
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 09:26 AM   #81
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
He has an original gilt dial? I would like to see that

I’m sure as usual, original and genuine is being used interchangeably...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 09:27 AM   #82
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Yes they have a ROLEX account. He only deals with vintage watches and said he has original parts to the watch on hand
Are you entirely sure?

"It is my understanding that the current owner, Michael Knight, is not a Rolex certified technician as he has claimed, instead claiming his father's certifications as his own.

It is also my understanding that Michael Knight has been cautioned by Rolex SA against making unsubstantiated claims about his training and service certification."

"https://www.yelp.com/biz/knight-watch-and-jewelry-colorado-springs"
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 09:31 AM   #83
Karl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Are you entirely sure?

"It is my understanding that the current owner, Michael Knight, is not a Rolex certified technician as he has claimed, instead claiming his father's certifications as his own.

It is also my understanding that Michael Knight has been cautioned by Rolex SA against making unsubstantiated claims about his training and service certification."

"https://www.yelp.com/biz/knight-watch-and-jewelry-colorado-springs"
Hmm, now Im a little worried. Ill have to talk to him.
Old 12 November 2019, 10:17 AM   #84
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Send it to Philip Ridley and then you will know it is absolutely getting 100% authentic parts and the best service care for such an important watch.
Old 12 November 2019, 11:09 AM   #85
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Funny enough, I just spoke with Rolex (BH, CA) today regarding my old-ass TT 1675 watch (1972 or 1973). Very similar story to yours BTW, got it from Dad minus the Navy service (Army!). Rolex will not sell anything to me or service the watch until it has been sent to their Pennsylvania workshop where it will be evaluated for authenticity. That will cost me $260 for them to identify their own product. During the evaluation, they will make recommendations on what needs to be replaced. They will recommend replacing everything— I will surely refuse. That said, if I wanted to have it serviced or purchase a bracelet or new insert or whatever, the evaluation is required. The evaluation will confirm originality of parts used and whether it came in it's current configuration. Of course, authentic and original are two entirely different things.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 01:05 PM   #86
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Send it to Philip Ridley and then you will know it is absolutely getting 100% authentic parts and the best service care for such an important watch.

This! Stick with someone that has a well documented reputation, IMO. Cheers.
Old 12 November 2019, 01:46 PM   #87
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
No expert. I know some on 5 digits, just wondering if it has or should have an open 6 and 9 on date wheel...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote