The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Patek 5235 - where to from here
Soon to be discontinued 26 21.67%
New model coming 15 12.50%
Patek flop 42 35.00%
Instant classic 37 30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 October 2015, 01:18 AM   #31
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Good point. I personally only know one
As far as I know this is the first ever regulator model produced by Patek. Like it or not, this makes it a unique model and sets it apart from all the other complications. The brushed dial and logo/name print style gives it a unique and almost prototype like appearance imo.
As Jon pointed out these are things that will be appreciated by the connoiseeur/collector types. People with "investment motives" will continue to gravitate toward the calendar and repeater models.

True. But, resale for the 5235 is inline with a lot of the other ACs. So, it may be rare, but there aren't that many buyers interested in it.
Old 21 October 2015, 07:03 AM   #32
de66
"TRF" Member

Of course Ian, absolutely correct. I was observing its place in the Patek history unrelated to its present resale value. In its design it appears to be a polarizing watch: most either love it or dont. Those that love it and are in the fortunate position of being able to afford ownership tend not to be those purchasing pre owned. That, and the fact that this model is still in production dont do wonders for its value on the secondary market.

I personally like it a lot. But its also not anywhere near the top of my wishlist from an ownership perspective. For now at least :-)
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2015, 02:18 PM   #33
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

It is seldom you see a current production especially a relatively new watch put up for auction.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2015, 05:30 PM   #34
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
Yes I agree

Pretty silly
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
It is seldom you see a current production especially a relatively new watch put up for auction.
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2015, 06:49 PM   #35
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

I seen quite a few sold in auction at premium above retail price last year. This is the first one if I am not mistaken is not sold. Then again, maybe those participating in the that particular auction is buying something else in that auction hence it is important what is the competition during that auction.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2015, 01:53 AM   #36
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
I seen quite a few sold in auction at premium above retail price last year. This is the first one if I am not mistaken is not sold. Then again, maybe those participating in the that particular auction is buying something else in that auction hence it is important what is the competition during that auction.

I think they ramped up production rapidly at the beginning of this year. So, the resale value is closer to 80% of the selling price. This is still a great watch, but you'll take a bath if you paid full retail price and try to sell it.
Old 22 October 2015, 02:25 AM   #37
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
I think they ramped up production rapidly at the beginning of this year. So, the resale value is closer to 80% of the selling price. This is still a great watch, but you'll take a bath if you paid full retail price and try to sell it.
Ian is absolutely correct in the production increase this year compared to last year. Supply and demand has shifted quite a bit this year which shows up in the auction result. I have heard some ADs receiving 6+ pieces this year, compared to maybe 1 a year over the past few years.

I added the piece to my collection earlier this year and I think it will be a great watch to own for the long run. If someone is looking to flip the watch, it is certainly not the watch to get.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2015, 02:27 AM   #38
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
It's a good looking watch quite unique with an especially interesting movement.
although it is Not for me, it seems like the kind of watch that one day out of the blue, you wake up and say "I got to have it"

Ps I didn't feel like any of the poll choices were accurate for me.
Old 22 October 2015, 02:35 AM   #39
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Ian is absolutely correct in the production increase this year compared to last year. Supply and demand has shifted quite a bit this year which shows up in the auction result. I have heard some ADs receiving 6+ pieces this year, compared to maybe 1 a year over the past few years.

I added the piece to my collection earlier this year and I think it will be a great watch to own for the long run. If someone is looking to flip the watch, it is certainly not the watch to get.
I also think the US has been the recipient of a greater share of supply, owing to the strength of its economy vis-a-vis China/Russia and the strong USD.
Old 22 October 2015, 03:33 AM   #40
oneplustwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
I also think the US has been the recipient of a greater share of supply, owing to the strength of its economy vis-a-vis China/Russia and the strong USD.
That is very true.
oneplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2015, 03:41 AM   #41
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
That is very true.

Patek is basically a veiled derivative to short the USD. That's why PP prices ripped as the dollar started to weaken a decade ago. That trade is now unwinding.
Old 22 October 2015, 03:46 AM   #42
oneplustwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
Patek is basically a veiled derivative to short the USD. That's why PP prices ripped as the dollar started to weaken a decade ago. That trade is now unwinding.
And a second price cut in the States is not unlikely if USD continues to strengthen.
oneplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2015, 07:03 AM   #43
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
I love the idea of it i would get one if they come out with a platinum 100%
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 11:26 PM   #44
KarlS
Banned

an old thread being brought back from the dead. Noticed that Govberg have 2 preowned whilst I was sniffing around in another watch. Still an interesting watch although I never seen one in the metal.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 11:52 PM   #45
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Super cool watch, and sad to see it do this badly in the secondary market....
Old 9 April 2017, 01:22 AM   #46
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I have seen one that a customer ordered. Not for me, although if production ends up being limited it will become popular over time.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 02:00 AM   #47
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
an old thread being brought back from the dead. Noticed that Govberg have 2 preowned whilst I was sniffing around in another watch. Still an interesting watch although I never seen one in the metal.
I've been eyeing Govberg's 5235. Still seems pretty high for pre owned.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 02:31 AM   #48
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I've been eyeing Govberg's 5235. Still seems pretty high for pre owned.
Actually there prices seem to be generally high so guess there must be wriggle room
Old 9 April 2017, 03:46 AM   #49
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Actually there prices seem to be generally high so guess there must be wriggle room
I think 5235 should be around 40k here in the U.S. I think it's a pretty cool piece and thinking about getting one.
Old 9 April 2017, 06:31 AM   #50
The B
"TRF" Member

I warmed up to the 5235g over time...(just recently acquired) and I do enjoy it for what it is.

I like the brushed surfaces on the case sides, face and (what I would call ghost panda dials) face and the layout is interesting to me as it's completely diffrent from anything else I have. it's a good size/colors/presentation for just about anything.

I'm also of the belief that it will perform like the 5960/1a if/when I wish to part with it:)
The B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 10:03 PM   #51
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
This is the watch that got me into the brand believe it or not. I was buying PAM, Rolex, Vintage Rolex and my AD gave me a PP Magazine and I saw this piece featured in there and was just drawn to the darn thing. Bugged my AD for over a year for the piece and could not get it because it was being held back from release then a close friend actually saw it on Thierry Stern's wrist at Basel as he was testing it for accuracy and such and I finally procured one in Dec 2014 from a grey dealer friend at list price $53,600 with my name on the papers. Three months after I got the piece Patek dropped prices in the US 7% so it automatically went down 4K in value UGH. This was a piece many of the big collectors had to have when released due to the speculation that it would be rare then most of them flipped it LOL! The case reminds me of the 3448 especially the lugs and the movement is pretty awesome but I am afraid this beauty is buried in the catalog and will ultimately be a failed reference. The piece if I remember was delayed roughly 1.5 to 2 years from when it was introduced in PP Magazine and I am not sure it was ever properly featured at Basel. I have never seen the piece in any type of Patek Advertisement and then when it finally came out it was produced for a year then heard rumors they were having issues making it and had confirmation from HSWA, LONDON, and PARIS Salons that none were received in 2016. I was also told by a Patek rep that this piece takes twice as long to make compared to the other ACs in the catalog. Forum members have since confirmed production is back on. IMO, This piece should be had at a 15-20% discount as demand is just not there. Grey dealers offered me 33k and another 34K and the other didn't even make an offer (I politely declined both offers) When I received my PC I recently decided to let her go because I really did not need an AC and PC but she was a great piece and fun to own. Maybe Govberg knows something we do not on the overall future of the piece considering the hefty asking price Sorry for the ramble, I just followed this one closely throughout the years as I had a sentimental attachment to it

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 10:47 PM   #52
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
This is the watch that got me into the brand believe it or not. I was buying PAM, Rolex, Vintage Rolex and my AD gave me a PP Magazine and I saw this piece featured in there and was just drawn to the darn thing. Bugged my AD for over a year for the piece and could not get it because it was being held back from release then a close friend actually saw it on Thierry Stern's wrist at Basel as he was testing it for accuracy and such and I finally procured one in Dec 2014 from a grey dealer friend at list price $53,600 with my name on the papers. Three months after I got the piece Patek dropped prices in the US 7% so it automatically went down 4K in value UGH. This was a piece many of the big collectors had to have when released due to the speculation that it would be rare then most of them flipped it LOL! The case reminds me of the 3448 especially the lugs and the movement is pretty awesome but I am afraid this beauty is buried in the catalog and will ultimately be a failed reference. The piece if I remember was delayed roughly 1.5 to 2 years from when it was introduced in PP Magazine and I am not sure it was ever properly featured at Basel. I have never seen the piece in any type of Patek Advertisement and then when it finally came out it was produced for a year then heard rumors they were having issues making it and had confirmation from HSWA, LONDON, and PARIS Salons that none were received in 2016. I was also told by a Patek rep that this piece takes twice as long to make compared to the other ACs in the catalog. Forum members have since confirmed production is back on. IMO, This piece should be had at a 15-20% discount as demand is just not there. Grey dealers offered me 33k and another 34K and the other didn't even make an offer (I politely declined both offers) When I received my PC I recently decided to let her go because I really did not need an AC and PC but she was a great piece and fun to own. Maybe Govberg knows something we do not on the overall future of the piece considering the hefty asking price Sorry for the ramble, I just followed this one closely throughout the years as I had a sentimental attachment to it
Thanks for the insight. Was it comfy with on the wrist?
Old 9 April 2017, 11:26 PM   #53
KarlS
Banned

Still think it would be a quirky alternative to one of my AC's
Old 9 April 2017, 11:31 PM   #54
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
Um, So what exactly are you asking? What do the members "think" about it? Will it be discontinued and then appreciated? Sorry if I misunderstood you but those specific questions inevitably lead ME and relate to value....1. EVERY Patek watch gets discontinued at one point or another. They will CONTINUE to make them as long as people want them as they are a business and have spent alot of money in the development of the new movement. Maybe they will change color of dial, graphics etc... Unlike "some" grand comps that are NOT made in large qtys, they are at a price point that most PATEK consumers can afford. Will 30-40 years down the line, people remember this watch for one reason or another, who really knows....I dont.
PP discontinues all watches at some point. Typically they have saturated the market and no longer sell. Certainly, the desire of PP to maintain the long term value of their products is a major motive. Regulator is a great watch. I just got one and love it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 11:38 PM   #55
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Thanks for the insight. Was it comfy with on the wrist?
Awesome watch and fit really nice and my wrist is only 6.75" Can be dressed up or worn in casual settings. I highly recommend it at a 40-42K price tag. Brushed dial is done really well. I just couldn't justify having it when I wear my PC more and am adding a Ceramic Daytona and hopefully another Patek

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 12:54 AM   #56
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Awesome watch and fit really nice and my wrist is only 6.75" Can be dressed up or worn in casual settings. I highly recommend it at a 40-42K price tag. Brushed dial is done really well. I just couldn't justify having it when I wear my PC more and am adding a Ceramic Daytona and hopefully another Patek
You'll love the Daytona-C. One of my favorites in the collection.
Old 10 April 2017, 11:01 AM   #57
Sam Philip
Banned

Now there are waiting lists for 5235G in the UK and gray dealers list the piece above MSRP
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 08:23 PM   #58
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Now there are waiting lists for 5235G in the UK and gray dealers list the piece above MSRP
I am not surprised that there are waiting lists in the UK. They have had a long wait list at the London Salon and many ADs have not seen one in a while.

I have rarely seen the 5235G at an AD, although there are a few pre-owned stores that have it for sale. Likewise, very few ADs have the 5524G, but many are available for sale pre-owned.

For a short time in 2015, Patek fulfilled most of the back orders for the 5235. However it appears production slowed to a halt in 2016 and supposedly they have re-started production in 2017.

You have to appreciate the unique movement that Patek uses in the regulator and the silicone components that makes up the movement. If someone is only interested in the watch's external looks, this watch is not going to win awards for the best looking watch.

However this watch will hold a special place in Patek's watchmaking history.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 09:11 PM   #59
KarlS
Banned

Pragnells Stratford Upon Avon had one a few weeks ago
Old 10 April 2017, 09:28 PM   #60
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
Lovely watch but I find the AC hard to read.
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote