The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 18 April 2017, 05:25 AM   #1
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

New Datejust 2 Timekeeping Issues

As I have alluded to on the general discussion page, my brand new (green tag) DJ2 is losing nearly three minutes a day.
I have spoken to the shop from where it was purchased and they have asked me to return to them and they will send to RSC for investigation and repair.
Obviously, this is a little annoying but, I get it, anything mechanical can break down and as long as it comes back keeping good time I will be happy.
However, could anyone tell me, why a new certified chronometer be so far out and, what lengths does the repair include?
I mean will they simply regulate the movement or, will it undergo a complete strip down ensuring all parts are functional and rebuilt as if undergoing a full service.
Being an engineer, as well as a Rolex owner, for the major part of my life ,I cannot understand how a watch that has been checked for timekeeping twice before leaving the factory could be so far out of calibration, unless it has sustained some significant damage prior to my purchase?
Lastly, should I accept that it will be repaired or request a replacement?
Gazza67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 06:55 AM   #2
phillip ridley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza67 View Post
As I have alluded to on the general discussion page, my brand new (green tag) DJ2 is losing nearly three minutes a day.
I have spoken to the shop from where it was purchased and they have asked me to return to them and they will send to RSC for investigation and repair.
Obviously, this is a little annoying but, I get it, anything mechanical can break down and as long as it comes back keeping good time I will be happy.
However, could anyone tell me, why a new certified chronometer be so far out and, what lengths does the repair include?
I mean will they simply regulate the movement or, will it undergo a complete strip down ensuring all parts are functional and rebuilt as if undergoing a full service.
Being an engineer, as well as a Rolex owner, for the major part of my life ,I cannot understand how a watch that has been checked for timekeeping twice before leaving the factory could be so far out of calibration, unless it has sustained some significant damage prior to my purchase?
The great thing about a Rolex, is that they are designed to LAST! What I am saying is that regulating or calibrating the watch would be enough, given that the timekeeping is the only issue. Unlike the vintage, it is uncommon for a newer Rolex to get magnetized, not impossible (which would increase the rate of which it runs) or another plausible and probably a more realistic issue would be over oiling the escapement. I have seen this many times, where oil has traveled down to the hairspring, then when the balance wheel rotates, the spring with the oil will touch or grab the next coil, binding, then causing rate issues.

If it is as minor as what I mentioned above, simply re-cleaning the affected parts will do just fine.
phillip ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 06:19 AM   #3
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

Hi Phillip, thank you for your detailed reply - I guess I am surprised that a new watch would be that far out.
The time loss appears to be consistent, which I understand to be a good thing.
I am sending the watch to the retailer later this week, so fingers crossed!
Old 3 May 2017, 03:23 AM   #4
Hunter.nurse
"TRF" Member

I recently purchased a 116300 as well-- Rhodium w/ Arabic.

Anyhow over the last 17 days it has had a rate of +0.5 s/day

I'm thrilled. So I can understand your discontent.

THAT said--I had a Tudor Pelagos (2824-2 movement--not in house) and it was running -10 sec/day

And it drove me nuts. Finally I sent it back to "Rolex" and not only did I get a cool travel bag and wipe cloth, they regulated to near superlative chronometer specs!! not bad for an ETA movement and non-chronometer.

After I got it back--It ran 32 days with an average of +2.6 sec/day, my final 7 days with it were +1.9 sec/day.

So--I wouldn't hesitate to send anything back to Rolex. Yes a shame so soon, but it will be 100% good to go when you place it back on your wrist.

Good Luck!!
Hunter.nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 09:58 AM   #5
rolexamateur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
,I cannot understand how a watch that has been checked for timekeeping twice before leaving the factory could be so far out of calibration, unless it has sustained some significant damage prior to my purchase?
1. I do not get it either. With my watch the problem started only some weeks after the purchase. So I guess it was borderline....

2. They will not give you a replacement. They will regulate it. Happened with my brand new GMT II also. It was minutes off each day, after regulation it is 3-4 secs fast consistently, which is ok.
rolexamateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 02:19 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Let's get things perfectly straight if your watch is loosing like you say 3 minutes then simple regulation is not your problem.The maximum adjustment on the balance wheel for regulation is 130 seconds either way.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 02:26 AM   #7
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Let's get things perfectly straight if your watch is loosing like you say 3 minutes then simple regulation is not your problem.The maximum adjustment on the balance wheel for regulation is 130 seconds either way.
Thanks Padi,
Would you care to take a guess what could cause such a change in timekeeping on a brand new watch?
It's been away now for over two weeks so I am hoping not to have to wait much longer until I get it back.
Any ideas whether I will receive any feedback from Rolex as to what the fault was?
Old 18 May 2017, 06:24 AM   #8
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

After 3 weeks my DJII is back from RSC with paperwork stating 'watch correction', anyway, I am pleased to say it's losing no more than 1 second a day.
Being an engineer I would have liked to know what caused the fault but, I guess the main thing is it well inside cosc!
Old 18 May 2017, 06:45 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Glad its back where it belongs and keeping excellent time
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 10:58 AM   #10
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Happy all has been resolved.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 02:14 AM   #11
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

1 second a day is excellent and was worth sending it in. Great move.
Old 22 May 2017, 02:36 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
After 3 weeks my DJII is back from RSC with paperwork stating 'watch correction', anyway, I am pleased to say it's losing no more than 1 second a day.
Being an engineer I would have liked to know what caused the fault but, I guess the main thing is it well inside cosc!
Could have been anything from dry pivots, gears, or pallet to foreign material in the works or faulty part...

Likely they simply provided a complete complementary service rather than attempt to troubleshoot individual components.
Old 22 May 2017, 05:52 AM   #13
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Could have been anything from dry pivots, gears, or pallet to foreign material in the works or faulty part...

Likely they simply provided a complete complementary service rather than attempt to troubleshoot individual components.
This got me to thinking; a model such as a DJII that has not proved to be a great seller, could sit in a shop window for a year or more - would this prolonged inactivity effect the oils?
Old 22 May 2017, 05:57 AM   #14
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
This got me to thinking; a model such as a DJII that has not proved to be a great seller, could sit in a shop window for a year or more - would this prolonged inactivity effect the oils?
No
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote