The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 20 May 2017, 07:01 PM   #1
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
Tour of Patek

I have a business trip to Geneva coming up and was thinking about trying to take a tour of Patek. I have seen a few posts of people who have done this. My question is, how do you go about doing this and how long would it generally take? Also, would it be possible to do Patek, Vacheron and possibly Rolex all in the same day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2017, 07:04 PM   #2
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Rolex will not be possible at all.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 12:57 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
I have a business trip to Geneva coming up and was thinking about trying to take a tour of Patek. I have seen a few posts of people who have done this. My question is, how do you go about doing this and how long would it generally take? Also, would it be possible to do Patek, Vacheron and possibly Rolex all in the same day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have a relationship with a Patek AD, it would best to have the Patek AD call the Patek Geneva Salon and arrange something for you.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 01:36 AM   #4
KarlS
Banned

I think single person tours are quite difficult and tend to be AD's bringing a group of their clients. The museum and salon shouldn't be a problem but a factory tour may be a challenge
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 02:31 AM   #5
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

^^^^^^^^
This, I have not heard/read of anyone just going to the factory and being shown around. It usually only been part of an organised visit.
Old 21 May 2017, 07:27 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Unless Thierry flies your new watches out to you on the company jet, it may be tough to schedule.
Old 21 May 2017, 09:13 AM   #7
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

It may be worth it to take a guided tour of the museum, which has to be arranged ahead of time. I have visited the museum twice, once on my own and another time with a guide. I learned a lot more about the history of watchmaking as well as Patek history with the guided tour.

As for visiting the Salon, you can just walk in and ask any available salesperson to help you. Or you can have your AD call Geneva in advance and have them schedule you an appointment to visit the Salon. They may not give you a tour of the Salon unless you are known to them. However if your AD calls in advance for you, you will likely be given more personal attention.
Old 21 May 2017, 10:14 PM   #8
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
For sure!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
It may be worth it to take a guided tour of the museum, which has to be arranged ahead of time. I have visited the museum twice, once on my own and another time with a guide. I learned a lot more about the history of watchmaking as well as Patek history with the guided tour.
Old 22 May 2017, 01:01 AM   #9
Protour2003
Banned

Watch: the next one
I took a tour of the salon last summer while in Geneva. I was surprised to see that they had an example of every reference in stock. When asked if I could purchase the 5990/1a they were showing me, I was told that all of the pieces on display had non-functioning movements! Everyone there was super nice. They even gave me a goodie back when I was leaving. As a long time Rolex collector, I was bitten by the Patek bug, and recently took delivery of my grail 5711/1a blue dial! Couldn't be happier!
Protour2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 02:04 AM   #10
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Hi All,

I don't really have a relationship with an AD so I contacted the museum directly and they quoted me a price of 220 CHF for a guided tour of around 2 hours. That seems quite high, would you guys consider that worthwhile for the tour? I imagine that it would be a once in a lifetime experience but also have heard mixed reviews on the museum so just curious as to whether those who have taken it would consider it worth the price.
Old 2 June 2017, 02:09 AM   #11
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Hi All,

I don't really have a relationship with an AD so I contacted the museum directly and they quoted me a price of 220 CHF for a guided tour of around 2 hours. That seems quite high, would you guys consider that worthwhile for the tour? I imagine that it would be a once in a lifetime experience but also have heard mixed reviews on the museum so just curious as to whether those who have taken it would consider it worth the price.
I was lucky enough to have had a private tour but didn't have to pay. I enjoyed it as they concentrate on the main items but you can easily wander around on your own for a few hours. Remember this isn't a museum of Patek Philippe but a museum of watches that includes Patek Philippe.
Old 2 June 2017, 02:36 AM   #12
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I was lucky enough to have had a private tour but didn't have to pay. I enjoyed it as they concentrate on the main items but you can easily wander around on your own for a few hours. Remember this isn't a museum of Patek Philippe but a museum of watches that includes Patek Philippe.

Thanks Karl. Supposing you did have to pay 220 CHF, would you consider it worth it?

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 2 June 2017, 02:49 AM   #13
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Karl. Supposing you did have to pay 220 CHF, would you consider it worth it?

Cheers,

Stephen
Considering it's more than a helicopter trip over Niagra Fslls and Grand Canyon (albeit shorter)....no!! I would buy the books and wander around myself.
Old 2 June 2017, 02:57 AM   #14
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Considering it's more than a helicopter trip over Niagra Fslls and Grand Canyon (albeit shorter)....no!! I would buy the books and wander around myself.
haha, good point. Any tips on getting a free tour?
Old 2 June 2017, 03:20 AM   #15
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Look and see who is having a tour....then just hover within earshot of their tour but don't look as if you are paying attention as they will shoo you away!!!
Old 2 June 2017, 08:57 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am sure they provide free museum tours for VIP customers.

I was able to get a group tour of the museum as part of the factory tour that was coordinated by my AD. However if you do not have a relationship with an AD, unfortunately that is going to be difficult.

I would still encourage you to visit the museum on your own. It is definitely worth it and you can spend as little time or as much time as you want if you are on your own. My first visit to the museum was early in my Patek collecting stage when I only had 2 Patek watches. I was quite impressed with the museum even though I only spent an hour or so admiring all the magnificent pieces that were on display.
Old 2 June 2017, 09:14 AM   #17
de66
"TRF" Member

Do some research on what you want to concentrate on. If you choose a tour, have them take you to the items you are interested in but which you know least about. Some pieces are easily researched by yourself, like the caliber 89 or the graves and packard watches.
The museum has too many pieces to view everything in detail in one go and even a two hour may be too short if your interest is in enamel artwork (loads of watches with intricate enamel artwork)
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 11:24 AM   #18
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice all.
Old 2 June 2017, 12:12 PM   #19
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
If the tour is from Alexi then yes it's worth it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:17 AM   #20
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
If the tour is from Alexi then yes it's worth it.
I am very intrigued by this statement....
Old 13 June 2017, 06:21 AM   #21
BeirutrulesMrBarnes
"TRF" Member

The museum in Geneva is wonderful. I toured it a few years ago and spent about 3 hrs. Some of the most beautiful horological works of art I have ever seen. Definitely a must for any watch fan.
BeirutrulesMrBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote