The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11 March 2020, 03:15 PM   #1471
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I have made the decision to tune out the talking head doctors in TV studios regurgitating the same stuff over and over.

Good on you.

Yes a good idea for everyone who has adopted the hygiene, social and monitoring processes. The numbers and the shrill “breaking news docs” are adding more stress for many people with no new actionable tactics for the citizenry.

Stress induces heightened corticosteroid production that, in turn, suppresses lymphocyte production. It can drain one’s immune system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 11 March 2020, 03:39 PM   #1472
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Right, it’s like ripping the band aid off quickly vs. taking 6 months. A short burst of pain (by staying home a few weeks) is better than death by a thousand cuts and this thing lasting another 6 months.

Cancel Everything

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ything/607675/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Think about this, if every one just stayed home for 2 weeks (unless hospitalization is required), the virus would run it’s course and die out. It’s a lot of pain to do this but it would be short lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I share the same thoughts. 2 - 3 weeks max. Everyone stays home and it dies off. Especially in high density areas. Radical but worth the try.

It’s tempting...

Don’t you think that unless the entire globe did it, resumption of air travel to/from countries that didn’t would bring it right back to those that did.

I do think it could help in measured steps. It could disrupt the rate of community transmission - like a defensive delaying action. Buying time for a vaccine, and managing the number of people needing critical care at hospitals would be a welcome outcome.

Old 11 March 2020, 03:46 PM   #1473
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It’s tempting...

Don’t you think that unless the entire globe did it, resumption of air travel to/from countries that didn’t would bring it right back to those that did.

I do think it could help in measured steps. It could disrupt the rate of community transmission - like a defensive delaying action. Buying time for a vaccine, and managing the number of people needing critical care at hospitals would be a welcome outcome.

The whole globe would be ideal but just the US could do it. Give everyone a 2 week warning so anyone who wants to leave or come back could do so, then start and everyone stays home for a few weeks and the virus dies out. No travelers to the US unless they are TESTED and not with a thermometer, with a blood test. When the rest of the world sees our success and leadership by example, they will hopefully follow.

Old 11 March 2020, 04:00 PM   #1474
77T
2024 Pledge Member

US citizens must travel internationally so barricading the inbound wouldn’t be all you’d have to do.

Also 2 very long borders exist.

I get your desire though

Old 11 March 2020, 04:01 PM   #1475
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It’s tempting...

Interestingly enough, companies are engaging in this...of course not solely for the good of the public, but for liability.

They don't want to be the company that forced employees to attend a convention or meeting, then that person catches it, brings it home and somebody ends up fatally ill...so the corporate lawyers are like "shut it down"...hey whatever it takes.

With current technology F2F meetings can be usurped no problem for a few weeks. Do it.
Old 11 March 2020, 07:29 PM   #1476
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Think about this, if every one just stayed home for 2 weeks (unless hospitalization is required), the virus would run it’s course and die out. It’s a lot of pain to do this but it would be short lived.

You do realize however that’s 100% impossible right? You’d still have people moving around. First, there will be those that just won’t do it. Second, emergency workers like police nurses and doctors. Third, how about power plant workers? Someone has to keep the electricity running. Sanitation? What if you have a very lovely but not very intelligent French bulldog like me that usually goes to the vet once a month for some stupid emergency? See what I mean? I still think if you got millions of people to stay home it would slow it down but then once everybody came back out wouldn’t it just start right back up again? Seems to mean if this virus is going to run its course it’s going to run its course.

I still see people who are most concerned about it saying some things our government is not saying like the virus is much worse then what we are hearing. If they are right then we have to consider that we are being lied to absolutely every day by CDC and all the other the government agencies as well as China has to be lying because things look to be getting better over there and that just doesn’t fit the narrative of the world is coming to an end. I’m have a very close friend of mine who is a lot more intelligent than me who has been watching a podcasts from some immunologist that claims in America alone we will be 60 million infected and 500,000 deaths in just the next 9 to 12 months. Get enough Americans to watch that podcast and we all have one hell of a panic on our hands and never mind the economy because that will be utterly destroyed for the foreseeable future. Not to mention that immunologist completely contradicts everything I hear on the daily virus briefing from our government. So guys somebody is lying. Or somebody is telling the truth and others are using scare tactics. Those are the two options here IMHO. Stay safe.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 08:33 PM   #1477
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I can’t get that REM song out of my head...

The chorus just keeps going and going and going....

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 11 March 2020, 08:35 PM   #1478
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

We should have isolated this country while we had the chance. Not letting infected in. Now it's ok for everyone to stay inside for two weeks? This could have all been avoided with tighter boarders and more suspensions of flights. Leaving this disease in the country where it started.

SM-N960U
Old 11 March 2020, 08:41 PM   #1479
Bryant Park
Banned

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

Shiny happy people...

Oh the other one
Old 11 March 2020, 08:41 PM   #1480
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I have a 3 week holiday trip to USA in May. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this will be over by then but looking at the situation, it seems not.
Old 11 March 2020, 08:49 PM   #1481
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

Thanks a lot, now I can't unhear it in my head, ha ha
Old 11 March 2020, 08:53 PM   #1482
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Some also keep throwing around the this is just the flu and only people with underlining health conditions and above 80 narrative is absolutely dangerous and asinine.
Exactly, from the start I never took this lightly regardless of what's being said by the officials. It's just too unknown at this point, and I don't necessarily trust what's being told to us. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.
Old 11 March 2020, 09:13 PM   #1483
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
We should have isolated this country while we had the chance. Not letting infected in. Now it's ok for everyone to stay inside for two weeks? This could have all been avoided with tighter boarders and more suspensions of flights. Leaving this disease in the country where it started.

SM-N960U
Surely that was always impossible.

There only needed one person to enter your country three months ago and unknowingly spread it and it was too late. There will be many times the known number currently infected and many that have unknowingly had it, spread it and become well.

I agree that all countries should be prudent in who is allowed to enter and travel – but there is no stopping this virus only delaying and slowing it.

All I can say is – it’s a good job it’s not got a known death rate of say 30 or 40% because the panic I am seeing from the various suggested death statistics of this current virus are considerable.
Old 11 March 2020, 09:19 PM   #1484
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

SM-N960U
That was tried, heavily criticized BIG time and then shot down.

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 09:21 PM   #1485
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Shortage of crucial chemicals creates new obstacle to U.S. coronavirus testing
Quote:
But the U.S. has lagged even as the virus has started to spread — there have been 647 cases of Covid-19 in the U.S. and 25 deaths so far — having conducted only 5,000 tests to date. The American Enterprise Institute estimates that the country may now have the capacity to run 15,000 tests a day, but that assumes that reagents are available.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/...virus-testing/
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 11 March 2020, 09:25 PM   #1486
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
[QUOTE=Fleetlord;10446000]I have made the decision to tune out the talking head doctors in TV studios regurgitating the same stuff over and over.

Me too, and this thread also. Best of luck everyone....
Old 11 March 2020, 09:30 PM   #1487
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I just now on live news heard the Health and Human Services Secretary day we have 2 million tests for those who need one. I guess he is lying?

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 09:30 PM   #1488
Spectral_Method

I don't know if this has been posted. This is an interview with Michael Osterholm, an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. Although it is a long interview I think it was very enlightening on this topic in particular. This individual explains the virus in a simple way to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw
Old 11 March 2020, 09:32 PM   #1489
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I just now on live news heard the Health and Human Services Secretary day we have 2 million tests for those who need one. I guess he is lying?
No way, not a politician.
Old 11 March 2020, 09:34 PM   #1490
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Now way, not a politician.
Well seeing that most of the media doesn’t like him his lie should come to light soon right?

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 10:20 PM   #1491
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
That was tried, heavily criticized BIG time and then shot down.
I'm scared, bared, and unprepared...

SM-N960U
Old 11 March 2020, 10:32 PM   #1492
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the US, test-kit shortages have hampered health authorities' ability to get a clear sense of how many Americans are infected. Compared with many other countries affected by the coronavirus, in fact, the US has done the fewest COVID-19 tests per capita.
https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-...been-completed

Quote:
President Donald Trump claimed on March 6 that anyone who “wants a test can get a test,” while Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar said in a television interview the same day that there “is no testing kit shortage, nor has there ever been.”
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/th...virus-testing/

Quote:
The Strongest Evidence Yet That America Is Botching Coronavirus Testing
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...avirus/607597/

Quote:
On Monday, Stephen Hahn, the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, estimated that “by the end of this week, close to a million tests will be able to be performed” in the United States. On Wednesday, Vice President Mike Pence promised that “roughly 1.5 million tests” would be available this week.

But the number of tests performed across the country has fallen far short of those projections, despite extraordinarily high demand, The Atlantic has found.

“The CDC got this right with H1N1 and Zika, and produced huge quantities of test kits that went around the country,” Thomas Frieden, the director of the CDC from 2009 to 2017, told us. “I don’t know what went wrong this time.”

Through interviews with dozens of public-health officials and a survey of local data from across the country, The Atlantic could only verify that 1,895 people have been tested for the coronavirus in the United States, about 10 percent of whom have tested positive. And while the American capacity to test for the coronavirus has ramped up significantly over the past few days, local officials can still test only several thousand people a day, not the tens or hundreds of thousands indicated by the White House’s promises.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 11 March 2020, 10:35 PM   #1493
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
3 TSA Screeners In San Jose, Calif., Have Contracted Coronavirus, Agency Says
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...us-agency-says

Quote:
"The officers are receiving medical care and all TSA employees they have come in contact with over the past 14 days are quarantined at home," the TSA, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security, said in a statement.

The three officers would have come into contact with thousands of passengers passing through the airport's security checkpoints, TSA union officials say.
Anyone not worried yet?
Old 11 March 2020, 10:54 PM   #1494
statsman
"TRF" Member

South Korea is a model nation. They jumped on this early, emphasizing testing. Their fatality rate is so low because they are treating it well, and have a very good count of their infected (maybe the best count). Italy is a bad example- they didn’t jump on it and still have dramatically undercounted cases.

The US started out more like Italy, but hopefully is catching up with the South Koreans approach, with more testing available.
Old 11 March 2020, 11:08 PM   #1495
StarvingBillionaire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
South Korea is a model nation. They jumped on this early, emphasizing testing. Their fatality rate is so low because they are treating it well, and have a very good count of their infected (maybe the best count). Italy is a bad example- they didn’t jump on it and still have dramatically undercounted cases.

The US started out more like Italy, but hopefully is catching up with the South Koreans approach, with more testing available.

Old 11 March 2020, 11:21 PM   #1496
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:

SM-N960U
That's just not possible. It's misguided if you think banning X Y Z country is going to do anything. "Leaving the disease in the country where it started" is and was never going to happen no matter what actions are taken.

The virus is not even that bad to warrant such an extreme measure.
Old 11 March 2020, 11:23 PM   #1497
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm scared, bared, and unprepared...

SM-N960U
Well, at the very least should be prepared. I can’t help you with the other two things.

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 11:27 PM   #1498
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

The US is blowing it at every point of prevention and testing. It's an absolute joke.

My boss returned to the US from Thailand last week. Upon entering LAX there was ZERO testing of any passengers, especially from Asia (not that country of departure matters anyway). He had a slight fever and decided to go to the hospital to get checked out. All the hospitals he called or went to flat out refused to check him. The only option he was given was to call the CDC, which he remained on hold for 2 hours.

To put it into perspective. I live in Thailand and every passenger is tested for a fever and symptoms no matter country of origin. Even domestic flights are checked. Every single person. This is from a third world country run by an incompetent and corrupt junta.

At my work, I document every worker that leaves the country, and their return path. Any symptoms, they get a 2 week quarantine.

If you want a massive virus spread, just keep doing what the US is doing, which is nothing.
Old 11 March 2020, 11:30 PM   #1499
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
The US is blowing it at every point of prevention and testing. It's an absolute joke.

My boss returned to the US from Thailand last week. Upon entering LAX there was ZERO testing of any passengers, especially from Asia (not that country of departure matters anyway). He had a slight fever and decided to go to the hospital to get checked out. All the hospitals he called or went to flat out refused to check him. The only option he was given was to call the CDC, which he remained on hold for 2 hours.

To put it into perspective. I live in Thailand and every passenger is tested for a fever and symptoms no matter country of origin. Even domestic flights are checked. Every single person. This is from a third world country run by an incompetent and corrupt junta.

At my work, I document every worker that leaves the country, and their return path. Any symptoms, they get a 2 week quarantine.

If you want a massive virus spread, just keep doing what the US is doing, which is nothing.
And with that I think I end my participation in this thread. see ya.

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 11:30 PM   #1500
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

More front line, experienced, accounts of the virus from Italy:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/italy...040542022.html

The other jibber jabber is just noise from “experts” who have never even seen a single Coronavirus patient in person.
Closed Thread