The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2022, 12:18 AM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I'm so stoked, I had to share...

I have had over 50 cars in my short <cough> life, so buying a new car, or a new used car, isn't really a big deal to me like it is for people who buy a car every 10 years or like when one of you guys snag a new Daytona at MSRP.

I bought a new BMW M4 last year, which is seriously one of if not the best car I have ever gotten, it is stupid fast, very comfortable and has given me no trouble at all except for a dash rattle which has settled down on its own. And yes, I take it to the track. My other car (540i) went off lease and I didn't keep it, so the M4 became my daily. As wonderful as it is, a manual transmission M4 is not the best daily in traffic. And the wife doesn't like it for long trips. And the gas mileage sucks. And it is a little bit loud (although nothing like that miserable M2 I had for a while). But I digress.

So, long story short (yeah, I know, too late for that... ) I was looking for a new M550ix on the lots all up and down the East coast, and the only ones that I liked were all pre-sold. I was going to order one, but I'm now on month 3 waiting for my dealer to get an allocation. You need an allocation from BMW to place an order, and then it's a few months to get the production scheduled, the car made, shipped, wait for missing parts d/t shortages, and delivered.

Used car prices are silly, and I wasn't going to pay near MSRP for a 3 year-old used M550ix. Nothing else (M-B, Audi, etc.) is as engaging to drive as a BMW, and the AMG cars are just too uncomfortable and expensive and like BMW, you really can't get anything these days and if you do, you're paying MSRP or better. My dealer was going to discount the BMW for me because I'm a good customer.

So... after searching far and wide, I decided on an Alpina B7. That's the BMW 750il that is massaged by Alpina with engine upgrades (599 HP) and interior upgrades and revised suspension, exhaust, special wheels, transmission programming, yada, yada, yada. It's sold and serviced by BMW even though technically it's a different manufacturer.

I found a very nice, low mileage B7 2.5 hours from my house. The seller took great care of it, it had less than 7K miles on it, and he was wearing a very nice TT blue Sub. So you know he's got class and style, LOL.

Lousy cell phone pic attached.

Anyway, I love this car. It is everything I've ever wanted; fantastic comfort and luxury with stunning performance. And the wife likes it.

I am stoked. This thing is awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smaller.jpg (280.6 KB, 776 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:23 AM   #2
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Congrats Alpina’s are awesome!
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:31 AM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
You made an excellent choice here, Michael! Please post some interior shots when you can. Congrats!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:52 AM   #4
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Beautiful car, congratulations. However I think we need the ubiquitous watch and wheel pic! Enjoy the ride!
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:59 AM   #5
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Congrats
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:06 AM   #6
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
You made an excellent choice here, Michael! Please post some interior shots when you can. Congrats!
Will do, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
Beautiful car, congratulations. However I think we need the ubiquitous watch and wheel pic! Enjoy the ride!
Hmmm... the only fancy watch I've got left is my Tudor. I guess that could work.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 21 January 2022, 01:07 AM   #7
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:28 AM   #8
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Sweet ride! Congratulations
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:38 AM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Very nice car. Congratulations
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:06 AM   #10
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I love the B7. Seriously considered buying one myself a few times. Enjoy that beauty and post more pics!!

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:15 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

And Michael, my buddy has a regular one with the 4.4v8 turbo (yours is bored out to 4.6L I think) and it got a new engine under a free extended factory 10yr warranty. There’s a defect in those. Check the vin at a BMW dealer and see. It might have already had it done. Many grenaded including M5 versions of the same block and design.
Old 21 January 2022, 03:02 AM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 03:18 AM   #13
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Beautiful automobile!

Call me silly, but I appreciate the interior upgrades more than the mechanical Of course, I've always been the well-heeled front seat passenger.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 04:17 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Been hearing more and more about Alpina on forums. Sweet!

Drive it like you stole it :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 04:30 AM   #15
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
And Michael, my buddy has a regular one with the 4.4v8 turbo (yours is bored out to 4.6L I think) and it got a new engine under a free extended factory 10yr warranty. There’s a defect in those. Check the vin at a BMW dealer and see. It might have already had it done. Many grenaded including M5 versions of the same block and design.
Unfortunately BMW issues with their V8s are well known, which is part of the reasons that those cars have such terrible resale values. The Alpina engines are highly modified versions of the BMW V8 and as such rarely experience the same issues. I had the car service history report (from the dealer) before I bought it, and it did not indicate any outstanding recalls or any past issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Drive it like you stole it :)
Heh, heh. I took the wife to dinner for her birthday last night, and we had to make a stop on the way home, and then I was able to find a deserted clear straight road on the way back. I said to her, "curious to see how it performs from zero?" and she said "sure". I didn't use launch control or even punch it hard, but I did do a WOT run up to about 70. She was stunned.

My neighbor's McLaren 720S is faster, but it cost twice as much and isn't as comfortable. Not many cars are quicker than the B7.

Oh, for those still reading along and wondering, this is a recent article in Road & Track that kind of pushed me over the edge when deciding.

Old 21 January 2022, 04:58 AM   #16
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Nice Find! Congratulations and Enjoy!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 05:49 AM   #17
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Great ride!
Congrats.
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 06:09 AM   #18
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Congratulations! Enjoy it in the best of health!
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 06:31 AM   #19
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Unfortunately BMW issues with their V8s are well known, which is part of the reasons that those cars have such terrible resale values. The Alpina engines are highly modified versions of the BMW V8 and as such rarely experience the same issues. I had the car service history report (from the dealer) before I bought it, and it did not indicate any outstanding recalls or any past issues.

Heh, heh. I took the wife to dinner for her birthday last night, and we had to make a stop on the way home, and then I was able to find a deserted clear straight road on the way back. I said to her, "curious to see how it performs from zero?" and she said "sure". I didn't use launch control or even punch it hard, but I did do a WOT run up to about 70. She was stunned.

My neighbor's McLaren 720S is faster, but it cost twice as much and isn't as comfortable. Not many cars are quicker than the B7.

Oh, for those still reading along and wondering, this is a recent article in Road & Track that kind of pushed me over the edge when deciding.
I expect you to redline the thing blaring Boston’s more than a feeling as piston rods shoot through the hood as flames come out the exhaust!!!
Old 21 January 2022, 06:39 AM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
It’s a great feeling. Congrats. Enjoy. And drive safe.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:19 AM   #21
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

Ummmm. The 720 makes my turbo S appear slow.

Hard to compare the two.

Then again, you can’t fit a family or even any luggage in a 720.

Pros and cons to both.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:39 AM   #22
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Simply beautiful.. Congratulations and happy to see you so excited after so many car purchases.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:59 AM   #23
winst
"TRF" Member

Nice car - congratulations!
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 10:49 AM   #24
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Ummmm. The 720 makes my turbo S appear slow.

Hard to compare the two.
Yeah, well, I don't know the official numbers, but I suspect we're talking about tenths of a second difference, and really in the "real world" it's down to reaction time, traction and cojonnes.

It's moot because I'm not going to race anyone on the street. Well, probably not.

Old 21 January 2022, 09:24 PM   #25
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Nice car Michael....very rare, unique and certainly a statement of a sedan. You have one of the best 4 door large saloons money can buy!!!! But, no comparison to a 2 door exotic supercar. They are built and designed for two completely different applications. Nevertheless, you may be the only TRF member with this incredible, luxurious autobahn slayer. Huge Congrats...more pics please!!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 09:54 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations Michael, more pictures would be appreciated
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 10:14 PM   #27
Alliy
Banned

The 750li is one of the best Sedans I have driven, congrats on your new car
Alliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 10:49 PM   #28
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Nice car Michael... ..more pics please!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Congratulations Michael, more pictures would be appreciated
Thanks guys. It was nearly dark when I got home Wednesday, rained all day yesterday, should snow today, and of course, now it needs a wash. Hopefully soon I can update the thread with pics!

I'm working from home today, not taking the new car out in the snow and salt.

Old 21 January 2022, 11:15 PM   #29
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Black car with snow in the background will make for a great picture!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:51 PM   #30
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Congrats, -m. Sounds like this BMW is a keeper!