The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 May 2022, 12:52 PM   #121
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ, Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrayD View Post
On Patek - took 5711 and 5712 in for link removal...asked about an Aquanaut (and this was years ago) and the manager (Palo Alto - Jeffrey or Geoffrey) suggested buying lots of jewelry would *help*... of course he did lol

In SF they were even less interested ...gave Patek lady (I think she was called Alison) there my details for a couple of non sports watches ..she seemed keen, and ...tumbleweed after taking name/email/cell etc

No big loss I go to Kerns now
Same experience with Alison
GK12345EMAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:01 AM   #122
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Maybe it will be like the new boutique in Miami. I saw that Patek opened a mono brand store together with local AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have we ruled out the possibility of Shreve being that AD? Would be odd to drop their regular stores prior to opening, but stranger things have happened.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:04 AM   #123
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
One can only hope that someday there will be enough wealth in this part of the country
You're kidding, right? Perhaps what you mean is enough interest in watches amongst the vast amounts of wealth accumulating there... I think that's happening now with the most popular brands (Rolex, PP, AP) but there's an overall lag in interest in the hobby behind other areas that don't even have the Bay Area's capital base.
Old 23 May 2022, 09:02 AM   #124
anx21
"TRF" Member

Any opinions on Kerns vs CH Premier vs Tiffany? Assuming Kerns is the least likely to get shut down in the future due to the service center. Tiffany sounds impossible even for something like a Calatrava based on previous comments
anx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 09:43 AM   #125
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingpoint View Post
It is a truly sad news to me. I was lucky enough to got my first Rolex/Pepsi from Shreve half year ago. I was very pleased by the SA over there, and always wanted to work the way up approaching a PP one day. Guess I will have to figure another way for my dream of PP. However, I still keep visiting Shreve for needs of jewelries and Rolex.

Good for you to get a SS Pepsi within the past year! Did you buy jewelry their prior or are m a bundle?

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:02 AM   #126
Slumdogg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anx21 View Post
Any opinions on Kerns vs CH Premier vs Tiffany? Assuming Kerns is the least likely to get shut down in the future due to the service center. Tiffany sounds impossible even for something like a Calatrava based on previous comments

My honest thinking is that if a 100+ year local relationship can go away at the drop of a hat, no one but Tiffany is safe. Curious if other people feel the same way though

Honestly from this point forward my Rolex needs can be satisfied anywhere, I'm fortunate in that the hyped models I truly want I've managed to get, so I have almost no reason to shop at Shreve other than just loyalty

My main goals watch wise at this point are Grand Comps and a 5712, and maybe a 5990 if I get lucky down the road. Curious to hear people's thoughts as to the best way to pursue in the Bay Area. In my opinion it's Tiffany or bust but maybe I'm overreacting? I've never shopped at Kerns or Fourtane but would be open to it

Slumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:46 AM   #127
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumdogg View Post
My honest thinking is that if a 100+ year local relationship can go away at the drop of a hat, no one but Tiffany is safe. Curious if other people feel the same way though

Honestly from this point forward my Rolex needs can be satisfied anywhere, I'm fortunate in that the hyped models I truly want I've managed to get, so I have almost no reason to shop at Shreve other than just loyalty

My main goals watch wise at this point are Grand Comps and a 5712, and maybe a 5990 if I get lucky down the road. Curious to hear people's thoughts as to the best way to pursue in the Bay Area. In my opinion it's Tiffany or bust but maybe I'm overreacting? I've never shopped at Kerns or Fourtane but would be open to it

“go away at the drop of a hat” ? Patek Geneva/US is much more calculated than that. IMO this is something that has been brewing for quite sometime. It merely appears to the consumer as being over-night.
Old 25 May 2022, 09:38 AM   #128
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
“go away at the drop of a hat” ? Patek Geneva/US is much more calculated than that. IMO this is something that has been brewing for quite sometime. It merely appears to the consumer as being over-night.
True. For all we know Shreve ended it. Perhaps too many people only wanting too few watches ultimately costing them other sales. Like Patek and the 5711 itself.
Old 25 May 2022, 10:54 AM   #129
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Quote:

Be prepared for the bundle or gotta have spend history talk at CH for any ‘hot’ pieces.

PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 04:36 PM   #130
mooty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumdogg View Post

Bay Area...
once you are a $2mm customer , a LOT OF DOORS open up
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 11:30 AM   #131
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
Bay Area...
once you are a $2mm customer , a LOT OF DOORS open up
^This... 💯
pav333hp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 11:41 AM   #132
newonos
"TRF" Member

Maybe this was mentioned earlier but I notice Betteridge in Vail is no longer (still has PP in Aspen and CT) and Tiffanys in Honolulu is also no longer authorized. There's a newbie AD on the auth retailer list *I think* but don't trust my memory from three months ago so won't mention in case I'm wrong
newonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 05:20 PM   #133
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL View Post
Same experience with Alison
x3

If my experience with Alison was any indication of how Shreve approaches its customers in general (flakey and forgetful), I'm surprised that they kept their Patek status that long.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 11:53 AM   #134
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Shreve in San Francisco/ Palo Alto lost Patek status

I like all of the sales staff there. In my opinion, they were stuck in the impossible situation of attempting to fulfill existing clients needs while give new clients an opportunity, all the while with a very limited amount of product…thus not everyone is getting a watch or enough watches (for existing clients) hence there will be some unhappy folks left at the end of the day.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 02:39 PM   #135
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Ch sells everything to HK
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 09:23 PM   #136
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
It would be hard to believe Patek will open their own Salon in SF. Patek only has 3 Salons in Geneva, London and Paris that are Patek owned. As someone mentioned, the other Patek monobrand stores are owned and managed by a local watch/jewelry store.

TS has said repeatedly he doesn't want to cut off the ADs as they know their local clients and market the best. Some ADs lose their Patek license and others are added. We as outsiders do not know why, although people can speculate as to why. I am sure Patek insiders know the reason if anyone has connections to Patek NYC (aka HSWA).
My opinion is that PP will continue to open boutiques in partnership with longstanding ADs like they did in Miami. This way they retain excellent staff, loyalty from the AD and its customers and boutique only experience. Seems like a win.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 11:04 PM   #137
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
My opinion is that PP will continue to open boutiques in partnership with longstanding ADs like they did in Miami. This way they retain excellent staff, loyalty from the AD and its customers and boutique only experience. Seems like a win.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Rolex certainly encourages and probably prefers the "boutique" concept where a local AD has a monobrand store. With Rolex, these boutiques located in major cities typically get the higher inventory and sales. I believe SF has a small Rolex boutique. Some of the largest Rolex boutique I have seen have been in Asia.

There are a few Patek monobrand stores or "boutiques". My guess is that the AD has to make a sizeable investment. The Miami Patek boutique is owned and run by Govberg and they are probably one of the largest Patek ADs in the US (by sales volume). My guess is the boutique concept for Patek AD has to make business sense. If inventory and sales are limiting factors, it may not necessarily make "financial sense" in having a boutique with empty display cases.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 03:12 AM   #138
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Ch sells everything to HK
is that a known fact or do you just assume this ? Because I heard whispers of similar stuff before
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2022, 10:54 PM   #139
Flyingpoint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Good for you to get a SS Pepsi within the past year! Did you buy jewelry their prior or are m a bundle?

Just noticed that I was been asked. The answer is yes, I ordered an Datejust 36 for my dad as a gift, and about $3k on jewelry while picking the Datejust up. In about a month later, got a call for the Pepsi.
Flyingpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 03:17 AM   #140
hlash99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingpoint View Post
Just noticed that I was been asked. The answer is yes, I ordered an Datejust 36 for my dad as a gift, and about $3k on jewelry while picking the Datejust up. In about a month later, got a call for the Pepsi.

Wow congrats, I’ve purchased way more than that from them and haven’t received the Pepsi I requested

hlash99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 04:00 AM   #141
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Every Patek I own is from Shreve Palo Alto including a few not pictured. Shreve invited me golfing in Half Moon Bay, on a factory tour in Switzerland and to the Expo in NY City. Since I was notified of Shreve's Patek status several weeks ago I have called 4 AD's to introduce myself. No one is in the slightest interested in speaking to me or adding me to a waitlist for anything.

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 04:13 AM   #142
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post
Every Patek I own is from Shreve Palo Alto including a few not pictured. Shreve invited me golfing in Half Moon Bay, on a factory tour in Switzerland and to the Expo in NY City. Since I was notified of Shreve's Patek status several weeks ago I have called 4 AD's to introduce myself. No one is in the slightest interested in speaking to me or adding me to a waitlist for anything.
Are some of these watches still sealed and unopened? Since you have a long history with them, did they tell you the real reason why they lost their Patek AD license? Could one of the reasons be that they were selling sealed Patek watches?
Old 8 June 2022, 04:14 AM   #143
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Strike up a convo with Salon London or Geneva.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 04:15 AM   #144
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are some of these watches still sealed and unopened? Since you have a long history with them, did they tell you the real reason why they lost their Patek AD license? Could one of the reasons be that they were selling sealed Patek watches?
All of those are from the NY expo and 175th which afaik was before the sealed mandate was heavily enforced?
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 04:24 AM   #145
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe it was a surprise to Shreve. At least they let me believe it was a shock. I was expecting 3 Patek's this year and up until a few days before it seemed like everything was on schedule. Their status was off the Patek website long before it was removed from the Shreve website.

Warren Buffett
Old 8 June 2022, 04:27 AM   #146
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
All of those are from the NY expo and 175th which afaik was before the sealed mandate was heavily enforced?
Still curious what the real reason for an AD to lose their Patek license, especially if they have had a long relationship...

In the past, people have mentioned ADs selling a lot of pieces to gray sellers through the back door or to known flippers (especially the "hot watches"), selling single or double sealed pieces, heavy discounting (not sure if this is a cause or just speculation) and maybe a few other reasons. Usually an AD is given a warning or two or three because Patek will take action to remove them from the AD network. So I am sure it was not a single incident and not a sudden decision for Patek to pull the plug.
Old 8 June 2022, 04:32 AM   #147
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

How long was the sealed policy a thing? I thought it was only a few years ago?
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 04:35 AM   #148
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Still curious what the real reason for an AD to lose their Patek license, especially if they have had a long relationship...

In the past, people have mentioned ADs selling a lot of pieces to gray sellers through the back door or to known flippers (especially the "hot watches"), selling single or double sealed pieces, heavy discounting (not sure if this is a cause or just speculation) and maybe a few other reasons. Usually an AD is given a warning or two or three because Patek will take action to remove them from the AD network. So I am sure it was not a single incident and not a sudden decision for Patek to pull the plug.
I have no inside information but I can't imagine any of the AD's are happy with their expensive store fronts, large square footage set aside for Patek and zero inventory.

Warren Buffett
Old 8 June 2022, 04:37 AM   #149
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

What about govberg building out their FPJ....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 09:01 PM   #150
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
What a great collection you have. And a waste you lost all that spending record with this AD
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote