The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 1 March 2020, 12:21 AM   #541
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I can understand that because panicky hoarding can disrupt the supply/demand balance of need vs. want.

Many here are sane-minded and have understood that it is the infected ones who ought to wear the simple ear loop surgical mask to avoid spreading airborne pathogens.

The same mask worn by 300 million healthy ones is not that effective for many reasons. E.g., ranging from failure to filter the viral particles in aerosoled explosively sneezed output to poor hygiene habits and secondary sources of contagion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Precisely. And they tell us we may not know we are hosts if we are asymptomatic. So.....wear the mask! (that is if you believe the threat in the first place)
Old 1 March 2020, 12:32 AM   #542
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Sooo is everyone in the US already walking around with surgical masks?

Haven't seen one over here.
No. Only on airplanes ✈️ which doesn’t do anything

Las Vegas just lost 2 high profile conventions
Old 1 March 2020, 01:08 AM   #543
snypa
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Bluesy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
is is not a flu people, watch and hear this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtfqUtW_8AA
I process everything with an open mind, and also have concerns about 5G, mainly the lack of research before a major roll out, but this theory does not make sense at all.

Interested to hear the explanation of how RF related illness can be transferred from human to human considering many infected people have never been anywhere near a 5G network.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

"Time will continue to move forward, whether you choose to make something of it or not"
Old 1 March 2020, 01:17 AM   #544
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I appreciate that man. I guess I shouldn’t make a blanket statement. Let’s say 90% of the media is like I said. After all compromise is important.

Yes compromise is important. Out of vogue. But it is what builds bridges.

Many decades ago, a professor assigned me the task of arguing a point of view on a hot button issue that I believed was reprehensible. Against another student who was similarly tasked. This was before safe spaces, so you had to suck it up and do a good job or you did not pass the class.

I learned a lot and so did the other student. And, ironically, we became the best of friends.

I have carried this lesson with me. I still have strong opinions, but I try to understand those who disagree with me. And often I learn something.

For me, that's what it's all about.
Old 1 March 2020, 01:19 AM   #545
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Don't talk too soon as you are not an expert .......

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/a-do...-confirms.html
Yes, but the article also says this: "Hong Kong scientists aren’t sure if the dog is actually infected or if it picked up the virus from a contaminated surface."

In other words, they DON'T know what it means, but in the meantime, people are now freaking out about dogs.

Hysteria begets more hysteria and the media is fueling a huge overreaction. Yes, be cautious and careful, as with ALL disease, but I'm not ready to move to Antarctica.
Old 1 March 2020, 01:22 AM   #546
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Yes compromise is important. Out of vogue. But it is what builds bridges.

Many decades ago, a professor assigned me the task of arguing a point of view on a hot button issue that I believed was reprehensible. Against another student who was similarly tasked. This was before safe spaces, so you had to suck it up and do a good job or you did not pass the class.

I learned a lot and so did the other student. And, ironically, we became the best of friends.

I have carried this lesson with me. I still have strong opinions, but I try to understand those who disagree with me. And often I learn something.

For me, that's what it's all about.
Old 1 March 2020, 01:28 AM   #547
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by snypa View Post
I process everything with an open mind, and also have concerns about 5G, mainly the lack of research before a major roll out, but this theory does not make sense at all.

Interested to hear the explanation of how RF related illness can be transferred from human to human considering many infected people have never been anywhere near a 5G network.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
You do know that many 5G installations are being tested atm without being documented?

Also seen the video's of people from Wuhan who dropped dead instantly without being ill? They were just walking in the streets and all of a sudden they dropped dead. How is that related to a flu?

5G operates over a 60Ghz band through oxygen. The same oxygen we breath in through our lungs. As 2.4Ghz rubs molecules and warms up moisture in a microwave, 60Ghz rubs molecules in oxygen which could prevent being usable for our organes if we breath it in. Endresult, our organes fails to work.

Because they say Corona is a lung disease following up from a virus it could be well connected to 5G. But because 5G is a "must go" they had to think of something else to give the blame.

Please, do not take for granted that i "know for sure" it is the 5G. But when there was a Mexican flu a while back, no country locked a city back then. Why are they locking cities these days? And if they lock cities, why are they still flying?

And what about Lombardy italy? What do you think of this article?

http://www.justnews.es/2019/12/09/it...ts-from-monza/

And what about Bavaria germany?

https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/pro...5gbavaria.html

All areas where Corona has been located for the first time in these countries.

Don't take for granted it is a flu. Personally i think (and that means i do not know for sure) that there is much more happening then a flu.
Old 1 March 2020, 01:38 AM   #548
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post

Don't take for granted it is a flu. Personally i think (and that means i do not know for sure) that there is much more happening then a flu.
I'll give you that.
Old 1 March 2020, 01:54 AM   #549
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Here in SF, maybe 1 in 5000 is wearing a mask. It sounds like wearing one to protect yourself is a misnomer. Seems like the confusion is around why nurses and other hospital staff wear them.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 1 March 2020, 02:20 AM   #550
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
This isn’t a situation where your beliefs override the facts of how the stock market works. Your beliefs are incorrect, inaccurate, and seemingly uninformed. I’m sure it doesn’t feel that way, as you’ve learned this way of thinking somewhere. It’s always hard to be the misinformed party regardless of subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It must be an awesome burden to be the smartest guy in the world.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom across a variety of subjects including capital markets, public health, corporate responsibility, horological aesthetics, etc.... You clearly are a renaissance man whose diplomatic and cordial approach to those "less informed, inaccurate, or incorrect" is tactful and classy. I am humbled to be in your presence as are all of us wth limited life and professional experience.
Old 1 March 2020, 02:26 AM   #551
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
It must be an awesome burden to be the smartest guy in the world. Thanks for sharing your wisdom

Haha, good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 March 2020, 02:37 AM   #552
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
It must be an awesome burden to be the smartest guy in the world.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom across a variety of subjects including capital markets, public health, corporate responsibility, horological aesthetics, etc.... You clearly are a renaissance man whose diplomatic and cordial approach to those "less informed, inaccurate, or incorrect" is tactful and classy. I am humbled to be in your presence as are all of us wth limited life and professional experience.
We have several members that contain that elite status of knowledge and wisdom.

It is a Rolex Forum though. Encountering this level of brilliance is probably unavoidable. Now over at the Timex forum it’s probably a different story.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 March 2020, 02:46 AM   #553
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apparently you don’t understand the US media. Don’t feel bad about that, it seems most Americans don’t really understand the media. If you study them for a while like I have you’d absolutely 100% know what’s on their mind all the time and it’s not coronavirus. Coronavirus is nothing more than a tool for them to manipulate a desired outcome.

Anyway that’s not important. What’s important is what they’re doing is affecting the economy. I find it silly so many here are saying the media didn’t cause the stock market crash when I can literally link dozens of articles stating just that. People get their news from the media. It’s the media saying this is the end of the world. You obviously want to dump all your stocks when it’s the end of the world because of self-preservation. Certainly economical self-preservation takes precedence in these situations right? It’s the natural human order to think of oneself first. All I’m saying is there’s a proper time to react and this isn’t it. I’m not saying it won’t happen it looks like it just might. All I’m saying is that it’s too late now to avoid any economical consequences because the media has already committed itself to that. So if the coronavirus doesn’t hit the United States and kill thousands of people then one could say the millions of people that are going to lose their jobs over the course of the next six months have done so for nothing. Make no mistake when the stock market drops 10 to 15% like it has people are going to lose jobs. Livelihoods and families will be affected. I do understand with the supply chain interrupted from China that’s definitely going to affect some stocks and so even in the current situation without media influence we had to have some stock changes. Look at Apple. I saw an interview with their CEO Tim Cook and he doesn’t seem to be worried about the long-term effects of this and they are arguably the best run company in the world. Yet we still see utter chaos in the stock market as a whole and we are starting to see panic in the US.

I have used hurricanes as an example on why the media hypes things up and causes economical damage. When a hurricane forms in the Atlantic and approaches the United States absolutely no one knows where it’s going to go. I realize the scientists try to make people think they have a good idea but I’ve been watching these things for 30 years and they are wrong 100% of the time as to their initial thoughts of where it will land. Absolutely every time they are wrong. Nothing wrong with that of course however when the media beats the drums early they literally get the entire Southeast United States in an economic downturn until the storm finally does land. When all they really need to do is wait until about three days out and then they have about an 80% accuracy as to within 200 miles where it will hit. And they can warn the people in that area and people can start to evacuate. That’s exactly how they used to do it in the 90’s. But then the media discovered Hurricane Katrina and the awesome power the media can weld using hurricanes in the future. The rest is history. Now every named storm that comes near the US the media goes into an absolute frenzy. It’s starting to work that way even with snow storms now in the north east where I grew up. I apologize for the long read but for the last several pages of this thread I’ve been making my case that the media is dangerous and it gets worse every year. They are absolutely biased and have an agenda and if you don’t see that you are either not paying attention or you don’t want to see it.

I hope everyone stays safe and I pray this virus does not hit the United States or any other country in the world in a hard way like it has China. I pray this thing goes away as soon as possible. I appreciate everyone’s comments on this thread and there’s certainly no reason to fight over this. Human life is precious and so is the economic stability of our country(s) and our families. Let’s do our best stay calm and act rational so we can do as little unnecessary damage as possible.
The purpose of the media is to gain an audience and sell commercials. It really is that simple.

Crisis and drama gets ratings just like movies.

Even the news outlets and commentators you think align with your beliefs are just actors on a stage...like drug dealers giving you your daily affirmation fix...in order to gain ones viewership and sell commercials.

Enough of that jibber jabber..

When do the layoffs start? Companies will need to shore up shareholder value at some point and during a downturn, nothing makes the stock market "happier" than a good old fashion layoff...That's what will REALLY tank the real economy.

As for the virus, as expected it's spreading now without a known link...so a lot more people in the US have it than is thought and they are running around spreading it all over the place. Gross.
Old 1 March 2020, 02:49 AM   #554
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
The purpose of the media is to gain an audience and sell commercials. It really is that simple.

Crisis and drama gets ratings just like movies.

Even the news outlets and commentators you think align with your beliefs are just actors on a stage...like drug dealers giving you your daily affirmation fix...in order to gain ones viewership and sell commercials.

Enough of that jibber jabber..

When do the layoffs start? Companies will need to shore up shareholder value at some point and during a downturn, nothing makes the stock market "happier" than a good old fashion layoff...That's what will REALLY tank the real economy.

As for the virus, as expected it's spreading now without a known link...so a lot more people in the us have it than is thought
For the most part I don’t watch the news. Mostly because of all the reasons I stated above. But your last statement is speculation at best and pure propaganda at worst. If anything your last statement is definitely not true as of yet.

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 March 2020, 02:52 AM   #555
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
For the most part I don’t watch the news. Mostly because of all the reasons I stated above. But your last statement is speculation at best and pure propaganda at worst. If anything your last statement is definitely not true as of yet.
For the most part, you are making up your own facts.
Old 1 March 2020, 02:53 AM   #556
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
For the most part, you are making up your own facts.
If you don’t mind let’s keep that your little secret.

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 March 2020, 02:57 AM   #557
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now you don't even watch the news..

After all that pontificating... I'm not saying it wasn't entertaining, but man..

There are cases popping up on the US west coast with no connection to China or travelling abroad...yet they have coronavirus. Where did they get it?

They got it from people spreading it around who aren't sick or that sick to go seek treatment. That's the issue with this virus...It's stealthy. Person A can carry it and not even get sick, but can spread it all over the place and those people can do likewise or get really sick and die. Not propaganda. It's happening. Today. It's gross

Marginalizing it is as bad a strategy as panicking over it.
Old 1 March 2020, 02:58 AM   #558
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you don’t mind let’s keep that your little secret.
If you don’t mind, take your media gripes out of this thread.
Old 1 March 2020, 03:07 AM   #559
Bryant Park
Banned

My local drug store just put me on a two year wait list for a R95 face mask but told me that I wouldn't "really" be considered unless I first bought 2 Rolex Datejust and or $20k worth of jewelry from them first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1045.jpg (58.6 KB, 132 views)
Old 1 March 2020, 03:09 AM   #560
Laszlo

I read that the WHO won’t call pandemic because it’ll trigger IMF pandemic bonds that expire in July. I am truly baffled that the WHO hasn’t and are somewhat directly responsible for the worldwide spread with their open travel and trade mindset. They have completely contradicted themselves by pressuring governments to contain but due to their nature have caused all of this because the proper warning was never truly transparent. I’m truly baffled by the WHO, why do they exist? What is their purpose?

Old 1 March 2020, 03:09 AM   #561
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Now you don't even watch the news..

After all that pontificating... I'm not saying it wasn't entertaining, but man..

There are cases popping up on the US west coast with no connection to China or travelling abroad...yet they have coronavirus. Where did they get it?

They got it from people spreading it around who aren't sick or that sick to go seek treatment. That's the issue with this virus...It's stealthy. Person A can carry it and not even get sick, but can spread it all over the place and those people can do likewise or get really sick and die. Not propaganda. It's happening. Today. It's gross

Marginalizing it is as bad a strategy as panicking over it.
I’d say you’re exaggerating at best and panicking at worst. However it does please me that I’m entertaining to you. Perhaps you should sell all your stocks and not leave your house for a couple of years. If we treat this virus like the bubonic plague we’re going to have an economic depression that will make the one in the 1930s look like child’s play. I have tuned into the news the past couple of days and you sound just like they do. These same news reporters predicted hurricane Irma would destroy the entire peninsula of Florida. How did that work out? It seems that some here are absolutely sure that this virus is going to spread all across the country and kill tens of thousands of people. That very well might happen but it definitely is not inevitable. Have a good day Fleetlord. All blessings to you and your family.

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 March 2020, 03:10 AM   #562
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you don’t mind, take your media gripes out of this thread.
Why? They are the biggest player in all of this. The media is like one giant bull horn screaming fire in a movie theater. It seems to be working perfectly.

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 March 2020, 03:12 AM   #563
Bryant Park
Banned

Anyone familiar with Thomas Malthus? Prescient for those who are fearful.
Old 1 March 2020, 03:23 AM   #564
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why? They are the biggest player in all of this. The media is like one giant bull horn screaming fire in a movie theater. It seems to be working perfectly.
No. China sounded the bull horn and justifiably so given the SARS experience.

You are negligently changing the facts to try to make a weak point and completely leaving out the part that China’s outbreak and strategy is what caused a ripple effect the rest of the countries are either currently dealing with or trying to avoid.

The media is not responsible for Coronavirus or China’s decision to shutdown normal life.
Old 1 March 2020, 03:25 AM   #565
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Anyone familiar with Thomas Malthus? Prescient for those who are fearful.
The one who claimed moral restraint is the answer for over population. I agree to that...people who cannot feed their own should not have children.
Old 1 March 2020, 03:27 AM   #566
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The media is not responsible for Coronavirus or China’s decision to shutdown normal life.
The media is certainly responsible for the hysterical being made about Corona.
Old 1 March 2020, 03:27 AM   #567
SBR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
My local drug store just put me on a two year wait list for a R95 face mask but told me that I wouldn't "really" be considered unless I first bought 2 Rolex Datejust and or $20k worth of jewelry from them first.
Now that's funny.
Old 1 March 2020, 03:49 AM   #568
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’d say you’re exaggerating at best and panicking at worst. However it does please me that I’m entertaining to you. Perhaps you should sell all your stocks and not leave your house for a couple of years. If we treat this virus like the bubonic plague we’re going to have an economic depression that will make the one in the 1930s look like child’s play. I have tuned into the news the past couple of days and you sound just like they do. These same news reporters predicted hurricane Irma would destroy the entire peninsula of Florida. How did that work out? It seems that some here are absolutely sure that this virus is going to spread all across the country and kill tens of thousands of people. That very well might happen but it definitely is not inevitable. Have a good day Fleetlord. All blessings to you and your family.
How are people without any connections to international travel getting the virus in Oregon and California?

Is it made up? Where did they get the virus from? From unknown carriers who aren't symptomatic?

Is that exaggeration? Why is not blowing it off as a non factor, considered panicking?

Why would we treat a virus like the bubonic plague?

The plague is a bacteria and society knows how to treat and stop it effectively...so if we knew that those steps would solve coronavirus, would that crash the economy like "the 1930's"?

Hurricane Irma caused $50 billion in damage making it the costliest storm in history of Florida. Why are you continuing to marginalize it? Silly to even bring that up and not related to Coronavirus at all.

I will have a nice day.
Old 1 March 2020, 03:50 AM   #569
SoTaxLaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
I reminded them I bought all those Velamints in the 1980s when they were a new drugstore. I suggested maybe they should look in the back room in case there was an extra box....
Old 1 March 2020, 03:53 AM   #570
Laszlo

Guys come on let’s keep the positivity up because we are all here to debate openly but we also need to remain friends because there’s a lot of high intellect on TRF and we’ll be helping each other through this.

Closed Thread