The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 5 March 2020, 01:48 PM   #841
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I am getting daily texts of articles from my grandma. She is legitimately terrified.
Old 5 March 2020, 01:49 PM   #842
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

If I may shift gears for a moment. Even if we accepted that mortality rate which some have mentioned over the last hour...
Projecting the rate is skewed because many deaths were recorded for people with pre-existing conditions, and/or compromised immunity. In other words the infected patients weren’t a cohort representing the demographics of the population. This creates a sampling error in any projections some people have made.
right, as I understand it, 10 of the deaths were in the same nursing home. Safe to assume that these people had compromised immune systems? I would guess so.
Old 5 March 2020, 01:50 PM   #843
1mlee0916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
Maybe you should double check your facts.

Bats are rarely eaten in China, they're more prevalent in Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia

Rats are rarely eaten in China as well. They're more prevalent in Thailand and Africa

Cats consumption has gone way down to almost nothing since there is a huge opposition to eating them in China since the 2000s. Also there is nothing linking the virus to cats at all.

20 years ago you were offered dog meat but I can probably say with 100% confidence dog is no longer on the menu on any train in the country. Just like cats their consumption has gone way down.

Agreed. The level of ignorance in some people in this day and age is baffling.

That uneducated, racist comment should’ve been deleted by the mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 March 2020, 01:53 PM   #844
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I am getting daily texts of articles from my grandma. She is legitimately terrified.

I can empathize with her feelings. If she is otherwise healthy despite her age, hopefully she can focus on the preventative steps rather than the fear.

The stress itself is debilitating to one’s overall health. If she has cable TV, maybe suggest she watches Turner Classic Movies and none of the constant 24hr news cycles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 March 2020, 01:57 PM   #845
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
It wasn’t meant to be funny. It’s factual. Those animals and many more are eaten in China, regularly. There may be some immunity created from this fact. Go research “wet markets”.

And last time I was there, 20 years ago, they served dog on the train as an appetizer.

And also to add to that (and not knowing the validity), I have read these "wet markets" where these exotic animals are kept for food have weakened immune systems due to being under stress in cages, making it easier for the animals to pick up diseases and therefore transfer them to humans during consumption.
Old 5 March 2020, 01:57 PM   #846
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I may be wrong, but I sense the rhetoric is heating up amongst some of us.

Just sharing this in the spirit of communication and in keeping the thread open - and, well-reasoned discourse. The thread was already closed once and Steve reopened it on a trial basis.

Here is what he said in post #642...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
This thread has been re-opened on a trial basis.

Just to let everyone know that if you make an unreasonable or antagonistic or belligerent post (as solely determined by any Moderator), you will be immediately and permanently banned without warning or explanation.

This is not a thread for arguing and if you want to agitate any claim rather than informing about facts you will find yourself banned.

Looking forward to good times

So don't say you weren't warned and all moderation decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.

Thank you

Old 5 March 2020, 02:00 PM   #847
StarvingBillionaire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingBillionaire View Post
Medical researchers now seem to think that coronavirus affects not only the respiratory system but also the central neurological system--the brain.

For instance, this new article says "Increasing evidence shows that coronavriruses are not always confined to the respiratory tract and that they may also invade the central nervous system inducing neurological diseases":

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/jmv.25728

Quote:
Appreciate the link - I read the article and believe this part also deserves equal awareness:

“The infection of SARS‐CoV has been reported in the brains from both patients and experimental animals, where the brainstem was heavily infected.”

That has been known for quite a while - that is, when the original SARS victims that died were studied. That outbreak began in 2003.

The authors are noting the similarity of SARS-CoV sequencing within the SARS‐CoV-2 gene (the current Wuhan coronavirus strain). So this COVID-19 “Might” also lead to brain infection.

It is a good thing for them to report, but only helpful to the immunologists who are choosing effective anti-viral gene sequences for a new vaccine - or ICU’s who have very ill patients.

For us, the preventative steps remain the same, as well as our own treatment of mild cases.

Thank you for your valuable input, 77T.

(I assume you're a medical professional.)

Old 5 March 2020, 02:02 PM   #848
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I sense the rhetoric is heating up amongst some of us.

Just sharing this in the spirit of communication and in keeping the thread open - and, well-reasoned discourse. The thread was already closed once and Steve reopened it on a trial basis.

Here is what he said in post #642...

Yes, please, I know we all don't agree with each other, but this is an important and very useful thread.
Old 5 March 2020, 02:07 PM   #849
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mlee0916 View Post
That’s not funny at all and quite a racist remark.

Well Chinese isn’t a race right ? Just checking
Old 5 March 2020, 02:10 PM   #850
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingBillionaire View Post
Thank you for your valuable input, 77T.

(I assume you're a medical professional.)

No, not in medical myself. I have the time to read the studies and consult with my B-I-L who was.

Old 5 March 2020, 02:13 PM   #851
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Really?....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg iu.jpeg (47.3 KB, 226 views)
Old 5 March 2020, 02:23 PM   #852
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,

Quote:
Maybe you should double check your facts.

Bats are rarely eaten in China, they're more prevalent in Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia

Rats are rarely eaten in China as well. They're more prevalent in Thailand and Africa

Cats consumption has gone way down to almost nothing since there is a huge opposition to eating them in China since the 2000s. Also there is nothing linking the virus to cats at all.

20 years ago you were offered dog meat but I can probably say with 100% confidence dog is no longer on the menu on any train in the country. Just like cats their consumption has gone way down.

I’m glad to hear consumption of bats, cats, rats, and dog is going down in China. Maybe if it goes down to zero we won’t have periodic disease transfer from these animals to humans, which has happened more than once in China.

Old 5 March 2020, 02:36 PM   #853
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

I stumbled upon this site tonight with MA case and quarantine data:

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...and-monitoring

The quarantine to case ratio seems to indicate a high degree of caution despite testing only beginning last Friday (2/28). I'm wondering if it’s all “self quarantine” because I haven’t heard of forced quarantine here in the states yet

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 5 March 2020, 02:38 PM   #854
Pantheon
Banned

Quote:
I’m glad to hear consumption of bats, cats, rats, and dog is going down in China. Maybe if it goes down to zero we won’t have periodic disease transfer from these animals to humans, which has happened more than once in China.

you are really a piece of work lol....

Swine Flu originated from pigs, I hope you don't eat pork

Avian Flu can be found in ducks, chicken, turkey, or any sort of birds

Anthrax, Brucellosis, Cryptosporidiosis, Dermatophilosis, E Coli, Giardiasis, Leptospirosis, Listeriosis, Pseudocowpox, Q Fever, Tuberculosi, Vesicular Stomatitis are all diseases that can pass from cattle to humans through contact, consumption, and even diary produced by them.

I think perhaps you should go vegan since beef, lamb, turkey, chicken, and pork all have possibility of transmitting diseases to humans
Old 5 March 2020, 02:50 PM   #855
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Come on guys. Food is all cultural and culture is what makes us rich as humans. What is strange to one is normal to another and vice versa.

Let’s try to keep this thread on the right path

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 5 March 2020, 02:54 PM   #856
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
you are really a piece of work lol....

.....I hope you don't eat pork

... I think perhaps you should go vegan

Now you’re crossing the line and getting personal. Relax your emotions and stick to the facts.

Old 5 March 2020, 02:58 PM   #857
Pantheon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Come on guys. Food is all cultural and culture is what makes us rich as humans. What is strange to one is normal to another and vice versa.
Exactly

Quote:
stick to the facts.
Please do
Old 5 March 2020, 03:12 PM   #858
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
I want to see the comments a month from now. Either they’re burning bodies in mass graves or we’ll remember the Corona virus like the Pet Rock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 5 March 2020, 03:15 PM   #859
RNHC
Banned

I think the whole thing is overblown. From what I read, 80% exhibit "normal" flu symptoms. The ones who are hardest hit are those with weakened immune system or underlying issues such as respiratory issues, hence elderly are the hardest hit. Interestingly, unlike regular flu, children fare the best, exhibiting mild or no symptoms.

WHO just released the updated mortality rate of coronavirus as over 3% but UK scientist disagreed, stating WHO is basing off flawed data. UK scientists estimate the mortality rate to be 1%. The mortality rate of regular flu is 0.7%.

Just wash your hands frequently, don't touch your face, take some vitamin Cs and stay away from coughing, sniffling people.
Old 5 March 2020, 03:21 PM   #860
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
I think the whole thing is overblown. From what I read, 80% exhibit "normal" flu symptoms. The ones who are hardest hit are those with weakened immune system or underlying issues such as respiratory issues, hence elderly are the hardest hit. Interestingly, unlike regular flu, children fare the best, exhibiting mild or no symptoms.

WHO just released the updated mortality rate of coronavirus as over 3% but UK scientist disagreed, stating WHO is basing off flawed data. UK scientists estimate the mortality rate to be 1%. The mortality rate of regular flu is 0.7%.

Just wash your hands frequently, don't touch your face, take some vitamin Cs and stay away from coughing, sniffling people.

Last night NBC nightly news said mortality rate of seasonal flu is 0.1%.

Old 5 March 2020, 03:28 PM   #861
RNHC
Banned

P.s. CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020... This is just in USA. What's the total number of deaths from coronavirus worldwide? 3,200. Sky is not falling.
Old 5 March 2020, 03:35 PM   #862
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Last night NBC nightly news said mortality rate of seasonal flu is 0.1%.
The article I read said 0.7%. Maybe 0.1% for USA and 0.7% worldwide? *shrug*
Old 5 March 2020, 03:47 PM   #863
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Quote:
Really?....
I thought Chinese was a nationality since it's a multi-ethnic nation. IIRC, Chinese government officially recognizes 56 ethnic groups.

If you are equating Chinese with Han Chinese, there is still a problem since Han Chinese is no longer an ethnic group but a distinct cultural group. Ethnic Jurchens, Manchus, and other formerly barbaric tribes are now considered Han Chinese after assimilation.
Old 5 March 2020, 03:56 PM   #864
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The article I read said 0.7%. Maybe 0.1% for USA and 0.7% worldwide? *shrug*

No unfortunately, it’s just under 0.1% (specially 0.09%) globally.

But current estimates of Coronavirus mortality are so fluid, changes daily, one day it’s worse than the flu and one day it’s milder. Who knows, but the reality is even at the highest mortality estimate we’re still talking about a very small number of the total population.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

Old 5 March 2020, 04:00 PM   #865
RNHC
Banned

People got to stop eating exotic wild game. Many of the past novel diseases were caused by viruses (virii?) originated from wild animals.

Coronavirus, Avian flu and SARS were from China (lions and tigers and bears, oh my).
MERS was from Middle East (probably from eating camel meat).
Swine flu was from Mexico. HIV from Africa (likely from eating "bush" meat)

At least, the Chinese government recognizes the danger and banned exotic game markets. No more pangolin for you (which Chinese people have single-handedly caused to put on the endangered animal list).
Old 5 March 2020, 04:01 PM   #866
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
No unfortunately, it’s just under 0.1% (specially 0.09%) globally.
I stand corrected. 0.1%, it is. *shrug* And it should be "fortunately," not "unfortunately."
Old 5 March 2020, 06:18 PM   #867
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Quote:
People got to stop eating exotic wild game. Many of the past novel diseases were caused by viruses (virii?) originated from wild animals.

Coronavirus, Avian flu and SARS were from China (lions and tigers and bears, oh my).
MERS was from Middle East (probably from eating camel meat).
Swine flu was from Mexico. HIV from Africa (likely from eating "bush" meat)

At least, the Chinese government recognizes the danger and banned exotic game markets. No more pangolin for you (which Chinese people have single-handedly caused to put on the endangered animal list).
Yup. Marburg and Ebola are also both likely originated from bush meat. Can't really think of a good reason to eat a bat or a pangolin, and I'd just as soon not be around anyone who does.

If I eat a oyster and get a vibrio infection, that's on me, and can be contained. These exotic bugs (and I'm still not convinced this one didn't come from a biological warfare lab), seem to run rampant.
Old 5 March 2020, 08:01 PM   #868
Lol-x
Facilitator

I saw this recently and I make no comment:

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 5 March 2020, 08:11 PM   #869
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Peter Lin, family physician explains what the Coronavirus is.

https://youtu.be/ixPVQpO-eiA
Old 5 March 2020, 10:44 PM   #870
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really?....

China is a mix of over 50 ethnic groups so don’t think you can say that Chinese is a race . Asian is a race Caucasian is a race etc...
Closed Thread