The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 February 2022, 10:36 PM   #61
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
If you create a login for C24 and add a watch to your watchlist. It will show you the watch with some price trend analysis (the same picture as posted above). Note the bottom number is 90K of the photo above. Don't be surprised if the the next 5167A posted on the forums/grey website is priced around $90K. Price of specific watches vary depending on condition, box/papers, location of watch (currency), etc.

A lot of folks think the US grey market dealers set the price and change trends. This is an international watch market. European and Asian markets, specifically China/HK/Japan affect prices of watches. Currency exchange rates also will affect watch prices. There are so many factors that affect watch prices. Folks who think that greys are manipulating the watch market are simply clueless.
Exactly. People have been voicing skepticism concerning the accuracy of Chrono24 prices for over 2 years, since the 5711/1a crossed the $50K mark. The price has tripled but the criticism remains. Sure, there are outliers, but for more liquid, popular watches C24 seems to be reliable.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 12:04 AM   #62
DonLee
"TRF" Member

The only watch sub 90k already is reserved. It’s a matter of when and not if. I know it’s an insane amount of money, but I already know I will regret if I sell mine. Because I’ll miss it all the time, and it’ll be even harder to buy back, especially if they discontinue this model
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 07:51 AM   #63
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

I'm not so sure about this long term. The previous models already look outdated imo and based on the prices i believe not in high demand. If they launch a new and improved Aquanaut (imagine on a nicer bracelet) it wouldnt surprise me if the current model will tank. The Nautilus will stand the test of time. The 5167, not so sure. It crossed my mind to get out at these prices and trade up to something else
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 01:29 PM   #64
chows99
"TRF" Member

The aquanaut signature is the tropic strap, not the bracelet. I think you are overthinking the watch as a investment. I enjoy my watch and value comes second.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 06:33 PM   #65
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
The aquanaut signature is the tropic strap, not the bracelet. I think you are overthinking the watch as a investment. I enjoy my watch and value comes second.
I enjoy it as a 20K watch. 100K different story. Doesnt matter i got it at retail. I would never bought it for 100k as there are much nicer watches to have in that price range so consequently i should get out. Its free (watch upgrade) money on the table with a timer. Question is not should you take it but when.

As for the rubber strap yes i know its the signature but there is a reason we have a bracelet as well. Some dont like rubber. The current bracelet is controversial and disliked by many. So a new Aquanaut with a nicer bracelet would be a big improvement.
Old 8 February 2022, 03:10 PM   #66
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
I'm not so sure about this long term. The previous models already look outdated imo and based on the prices i believe not in high demand. If they launch a new and improved Aquanaut (imagine on a nicer bracelet) it wouldnt surprise me if the current model will tank. The Nautilus will stand the test of time. The 5167, not so sure. It crossed my mind to get out at these prices and trade up to something else
I doubt there will be any major improved on the new 5167 Aquanaut, if it were to be launch...... Example look at the lady model 5267 & men 5968......

The only improvement they most likely do is new clasp like the 5968 and maybe hackable second hand...??

Regarding nicer bracelet.....?? Doubt there will be any change..... They just launch 5901/A..... Using the same stye as the 5167 bracelet.......

Quote:
I enjoy it as a 20K watch. 100K different story. Doesnt matter i got it at retail. I would never bought it for 100k as there are much nicer watches to have in that price range so consequently i should get out. Its free (watch upgrade) money on the table with a timer. Question is not should you take it but when.

As for the rubber strap yes i know its the signature but there is a reason we have a bracelet as well. Some dont like rubber. The current bracelet is controversial and ma disliked byny. So a new Aquanaut with a nicer bracelet would be a big improvement.
I read on the other thread that you own a 5167...... Then you should sell your 5167 and get a nicer watch..... If you think that way......

Well, you could say the same for the Nautilus...... Sell or trade for something nicer...... Why most people don't do it...??...

Good that many disliked the 5167 bracelet..... That way it stay low key & unrecognizable.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2022, 05:41 PM   #67
mineral
"TRF" Member

The Aquanaut steel bracelet may not look beautiful in photo. But if you see it in person and wear it on the wrist, I believe it will changed your view immediately. It looks much nicer in person on bracelet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 8 February 2022, 09:05 PM   #68
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
The Aquanaut steel bracelet may not look beautiful in photo. But if you see it in person and wear it on the wrist, I believe it will changed your view immediately. It looks much nicer in person on bracelet.

Interestingly, not only does the 5167 look better on the bracelet, but it feels better and more substantial. And, it's much more rare. Approximately 1 in 6 5167s for sale on C24 are on the bracelet and the 5168 and 5968 are only available on the strap.
Did you notice how wild the crowd went for the 5905/1a, as if the bracelet on that were a new invention? When it was pointed out that that bracelet has been available on the Aquanaut for years the response was "but it's ugly on the 5167, here it's beautiful".
With luck, Patek will eliminate the 1a altogether as an offering on the 5167.
Old 8 February 2022, 10:48 PM   #69
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Interestingly, not only does the 5167 look better on the bracelet, but it feels better and more substantial. And, it's much more rare. Approximately 1 in 6 5167s for sale on C24 are on the bracelet and the 5168 and 5968 are only available on the strap.
Did you notice how wild the crowd went for the 5905/1a, as if the bracelet on that were a new invention? When it was pointed out that that bracelet has been available on the Aquanaut for years the response was "but it's ugly on the 5167, here it's beautiful".
I still think the strap on the new 5905 is ugly, and it remains ugly on the 5167. If the 5167 with the SS bracelet is released now, it will be the next best thing after the resurrection of Christ, because grey dealers will hype it up to the stratosphere due to it being made in SS.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2022, 11:27 PM   #70
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I still think the strap on the new 5905 is ugly, and it remains ugly on the 5167. If the 5167 with the SS bracelet is released now, it will be the next best thing after the resurrection of Christ, because grey dealers will hype it up to the stratosphere due to it being made in SS.
I think you've broken the code.
Old 8 February 2022, 11:43 PM   #71
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Those unpopular watch usually will turn out to be super popular in future :) strange but true.

And the biggest advantage of ss steel aquanaut (late production) being able to change to tropical rubber strap as well. If you buy the 1A version, definitely is cheaper to buy the tropical strap/ss buckle than the entire ss bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 February 2022, 11:49 PM   #72
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the new 5905 is brilliant. The bracelet is very comfy too
Old 9 February 2022, 12:02 AM   #73
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't like the combination of the rather dressy 5905 case+dial and the sporty, tool-watch befitting bracelet. It also makes a large watch even bigger. IMO the bracelet works a lot better on 5167.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 12:18 AM   #74
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I don't like the combination of the rather dressy 5905 case+dial and the sporty, tool-watch befitting bracelet. It also makes a large watch even bigger. IMO the bracelet works a lot better on 5167.
I think the bracelet on the 5167 is too big for such a thin small watch.
Old 9 February 2022, 12:20 AM   #75
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
I doubt there will be any major improved on the new 5167 Aquanaut, if it were to be launch...... Example look at the lady model 5267 & men 5968......

The only improvement they most likely do is new clasp like the 5968 and maybe hackable second hand...??

Regarding nicer bracelet.....?? Doubt there will be any change..... They just launch 5901/A..... Using the same stye as the 5167 bracelet.......

I read on the other thread that you own a 5167...... Then you should sell your 5167 and get a nicer watch..... If you think that way......

Well, you could say the same for the Nautilus...... Sell or trade for something nicer...... Why most people don't do it...??...

Good that many disliked the 5167 bracelet..... That way it stay low key & unrecognizable.....

I like my Aquanaut. Its a cool casual 20k watch. I also own a 5270P. Objectively i think anyone would agree that the Aquanaut worth half the 5270p price is just silly. As for people not selling. Your are missing my point. I can see the Aquanaut go over 100K and beyond, the question is however what will happen if they release a new version. Many hate the rubber, others hate the bracelet. Imagine if they fix that.

I dont consider the 5167 timeless in the same way like the Nautilus. So if they do release a new version, the 5167 could tank so owners might want to consider to get out while they can at these absurd prices. Not to make a quick buck per se but to trade up for something thats objectively nicer/special.

As for the bracelet. Its to feminine and it doesnt taper. Its not bad or ugly till you compare it with the Naut or RO but fair enough thats just my personal taste.
Old 9 February 2022, 12:56 AM   #76
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I think the bracelet on the 5167 is too big for such a thin small watch.
Small is relative.

I have certainly found 5167 large enough on my 6.6 inch wrists, but I agree the bracelet does dominate the whole watch to some extent. I wasn't convinced 100% either and went 5711 in the end.
Old 9 February 2022, 01:06 AM   #77
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Small is relative.

I have certainly found 5167 large enough on my 6.6 inch wrists, but I agree the bracelet does dominate the whole watch to some extent. I wasn't convinced 100% either and went 5711 in the end.
I forget, did you get the blue dial or the white dial?
Old 9 February 2022, 01:12 AM   #78
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I forget, did you get the blue dial or the white dial?
Blue. By now I have come to regret that I didn't add the white dial, either 5711 or 5726 where I like white best.
Old 9 February 2022, 01:23 AM   #79
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Blue. By now I have come to regret that I didn't add the white dial, either 5711 or 5726 where I like white best.
Your regret is relative

A lot of collectors regretted not having your blue 5711. That to me, is a proper icon
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 08:11 AM   #80
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Who doesn't regret the failure to add one more thin Nautilus to the collection?
The Aquanaut is definitely a bigger look and the tapering bracelet on the 5711 makes it extremely elegant.
Old 9 February 2022, 01:32 PM   #81
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Yes, and I regret not buying a sac full of BTC ten years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 01:55 PM   #82
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like my Aquanaut. Its a cool casual 20k watch. I also own a 5270P. Objectively i think anyone would agree that the Aquanaut worth half the 5270p price is just silly. As for people not selling. Your are missing my point. I can see the Aquanaut go over 100K and beyond, the question is however what will happen if they release a new version. Many hate the rubber, others hate the bracelet. Imagine if they fix that.

I dont consider the 5167 timeless in the same way like the Nautilus. So if they do release a new version, the 5167 could tank so owners might want to consider to get out while they can at these absurd prices. Not to make a quick buck per se but to trade up for something thats objectively nicer/special.

As for the bracelet. Its to feminine and it doesnt taper. Its not bad or ugly till you compare it with the Naut or RO but fair enough thats just my personal taste.

I honestly think anything Patek is crazy. Where this would stop, i have no clue… but i have not seen anything tanking for the past 10 years… we need now to sell the house to buy a Patek

I own 5711, 5164R and 5270P. They are al trading at comparable prices and this is just ridiculous. For me 5270P is the peak of high horlogerie. But this is the market and to have 5711 or even any aquanaut at comparable prices tells me the industry is going in the wrong direction…. Or i am too much old fashioned

Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 06:29 PM   #83
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post

I was asking for that one...

What I meant is that I have come around to like the white Nautilus at last in a rare change of mind whereas I have always liked 5711 blue. But in reality I have never been in the business of collecting a sac full of Nautilus or other watches, so regret was probably too strong a word...
Old 9 February 2022, 07:38 PM   #84
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek_collector View Post
I honestly think anything Patek is crazy. Where this would stop, i have no clue… but i have not seen anything tanking for the past 10 years… we need now to sell the house to buy a Patek

I own 5711, 5164R and 5270P. They are al trading at comparable prices and this is just ridiculous. For me 5270P is the peak of high horlogerie. But this is the market and to have 5711 or even any aquanaut at comparable prices tells me the industry is going in the wrong direction…. Or i am too much old fashioned

Even the 5270p increased a lot the last 2 months. Glad i got mine right before it. The music will stop some day, we dont know when but it will and you better have a chair before it does.
Old 9 February 2022, 08:40 PM   #85
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Did Bitcoin exist 10 years ago? Can you actually get them into a sac?
Whereas, one of the watch resellers I used to deal with 10 years ago was begging me to help him out and buy his white dial 5980/1a NIB for $33K. It either was discontinued or was soon to be and he promised me that it would go up in value. I loved the watch but doubted that I'd ever be able to get my money out of it. I regret not buying that watch. And I was so close to doing it.
Old 9 February 2022, 08:49 PM   #86
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

(Secondary Market) Will the Aquanaut SS 5167A join the $100K club....??

Quote:
Did Bitcoin exist 10 years ago? Can you actually get them into a sac?
Whereas, one of the watch resellers I used to deal with 10 years ago was begging me to help him out and buy his white dial 5980/1a NIB for $33K. It either was discontinued or was soon to be and he promised me that it would go up in value. I loved the watch but doubted that I'd ever be able to get my money out of it. I regret not buying that watch. And I was so close to doing it.

It did!

Old 9 February 2022, 09:22 PM   #87
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you bought them for 1USD you would have sold for 10USD:) Its a pipedream. The only ones who kept those 1/10/100/USD BTC's are those who stored them, forgot about it and found them years later on an old laptop/HD.

Last couple of years is a different story. We now know what btc/crypto is and that its here to stay.
Old 9 February 2022, 09:44 PM   #88
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you bought them for 1USD you would have sold for 10USD:) Its a pipedream. The only ones who kept those 1/10/100/USD BTC's are those who stored them, forgot about it and found them years later on an old laptop/HD.

Last couple of years is a different story. We now know what btc/crypto is and that its here to stay.

Very true … I was just making an analogy … hindsight is 20/20.

Old 10 February 2022, 02:46 PM   #89
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Those unpopular watch usually will turn out to be super popular in future :) strange but true.

And the biggest advantage of ss steel aquanaut (late production) being able to change to tropical rubber strap as well. If you buy the 1A version, definitely is cheaper to buy the tropical strap/ss buckle than the entire ss bracelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I think the new 5905 is brilliant. The bracelet is very comfy too
This thread need some pictures of the ugly 5167 bracelet....lol.... I love it..... It stay low key & unrecognizable.....

Old 10 February 2022, 03:13 PM   #90
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No doubt 5270P is an awesome timepiece that you have.....

I already proved my point...... You're not willing to give up your 5167 for something nicer or cash out.....

Like what I say before if they do release a new version, it will only be minor tweaks..... I doubt the 5167 will tank.....

Example, look at the new AP Royal Oak 50th Anniversary.... What a disappointment....... Do the 15202 tank....??

What if the new 5167 become a 42mm watch..... I bet it will be a major disappointment to most of us and 5167 to the moon....lol.......

Another good example look at the Rolex (Hulk vs Starbucks), which one command a higher price.....?? Did the Hulk tank.....??

Regarding Aquanaut being icon & timeless......?? I'm sure it here to stay and it's the most sportiest timepiece that Patek has to offer .... It's Patek first luxury sport watch on a rubber strap with the optional steel bracelet...... Plus Patek only has two models which is Aquanaut & Nautilus...... IMHO Yes, Aquanaut timepiece will be icon & timeless in the near future....