The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 February 2022, 03:20 AM   #61
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Unreliable luxury .

There is nothing luxurious about needing roadside assistance .

Whatcar.com : Luxury SUVs have a lowly reputation for reliability, and one reason for this is the poor performance of brands such as Land Rover, whose vehicles are all too prone to going wrong. Such was the unreliability of models including the current Discovery and the outgoing Range Rover that Land Rovers occupied more than a quarter of the spots in our list of the 25 most unreliable SUVs.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 12:12 AM   #62
Jeanf
"TRF" Member

I have a friend who had a RR. He was so often at the garage that he became friends with the mecanics. Even kids movies (Cars) has a RR that leaks oil everywhere...
Jeanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 10:12 AM   #63
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mmauto View Post
We bought this Velar. We like it because it is a little less boxy than the full size.
Been a fan of the Velar design language since it came out. Cool thing about the new full-size is its strong resemblance to the Velar. Love yours in all black.
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 10:15 AM   #64
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Unreliable luxury .

There is nothing luxurious about needing roadside assistance .

Whatcar.com : Luxury SUVs have a lowly reputation for reliability, and one reason for this is the poor performance of brands such as Land Rover, whose vehicles are all too prone to going wrong. Such was the unreliability of models including the current Discovery and the outgoing Range Rover that Land Rovers occupied more than a quarter of the spots in our list of the 25 most unreliable SUVs.
Put 110k miles on my 2016 full-size and not one issue. Same with a close friend's 2016 Sport. I find that most people who comment about reliability have never owned one. I've owned multiple high end SUVs including an AMG G Wagon... and my Range Rover by far held up better in every way.
Old 28 February 2022, 11:51 AM   #65
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

My 2019 sport was beautiful but reliable I’d say no. I’d buy another one but I go in knowing the shop is part of it.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 11:54 PM   #66
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
My 2019 sport was beautiful but reliable I’d say no. I’d buy another one but I go in knowing the shop is part of it.
Sorry to hear it...
Old 2 March 2022, 12:09 AM   #67
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Two Range Rovers. One a 2012 and now a 2018. Both went over 80,000 miles with zero problems. Much better than the Audi's, BMW's and MB's I have owned.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 01:11 AM   #68
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Subscribed.

I just love the RR and think the new one looks fabulous.

Car designers have a gift of making the outgoing models look immediately dated.

Hope you don’t suffer any delays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 02:12 PM   #69
favre12rodgers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureCoconut View Post
Seeing more and more renderings of the '23 Sport and have to say that I'm not a huge fan. Whereas the full-size is beginning to look like a bigger, tougher Velar (which I've never owned but always been a fan of the design) the Sport is now IMO morphing into a larger Evoque / sportier Discovery... Still have to see the finished product and in person to make the call.

It's just hard to say without seeing it in person. I thought the Velar looked amazing in pics but not in real life. That is why I am worried about the Range HSE rear.....it just doesn't look good in pics, at all.
favre12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 04:01 AM   #70
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had a 2016 G63 from brand new. My Range was and still is far more reliable.

Two of them on my street. 2 week old Velar had a nasty water leak that took 2 months to fix and a new Discovery that’s on its second engine.

jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 05:55 AM   #71
xcg1234
"TRF" Member

Thats nice car!
xcg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 06:56 AM   #72
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I agree with some of the other comments….the new design is very Velar like. We’ve owned several RR’s and have had good luck so far with the brand.
I’m currently enjoying my new ‘22 Defender 90. Just a bit over 1k miles, so I can’t comment on dependability longevity on this one yet.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 09:47 AM   #73
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

I am looking for a very good condition 1992 - 1994 Range Rover.
Now that is a classic and harder to get than a Rolex.

Old 4 March 2022, 11:54 AM   #74
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I wish Land Rover would stop producing models with wheels larger than 20 inches at the maximum. Or at least offer 18 inch wheel/all-terrain tire options. Mild like the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 that are on the TRD Pro 4 Runners are not much different in ride quality to the all seasons. Those should be the minimum tire treads equipped on these 4x4 beasts. Putting on proper all terrains was the first thing I did to my L322. I like this update, but looking forward to when LR goes back to the more classic design shapes like the RR Classic, P38 and L322s. My other wish would be for front end lockers offered in an enhanced off-road package. These new RRs still hit the trails more than LR realizes.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 01:06 PM   #75
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Ok I have to chime in, a good friend has a dealership, he says to me that if you want to see the country side buy one because you will be on the side of the road a lot.

So many issues, but occasionally they roll of the line sorted.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2022, 02:35 AM   #76
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre12rodgers View Post
It's just hard to say without seeing it in person. I thought the Velar looked amazing in pics but not in real life. That is why I am worried about the Range HSE rear.....it just doesn't look good in pics, at all.
Saw it in person (see my pics in this thread). It is better than the pics. What really stood out to me was the size. The whole rear of the car is proportionally bigger than it appears which gives it a modern tank feel. Cameras never do cars justice and this is another case of that.

I'm exactly one month out
Old 24 March 2022, 10:32 AM   #77
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Spoke to my SA yesterday and we are still on track for April 8th delivery. As mentioned before, my vehicle is a dealer pre-spec and not customer optioned. More than happy to "accomodate" the inability to custom spec as this one isn't far off from what I would've chosen anyway....

Oh and they're also hearing customer builds won't be coming until at least 2023 and possibly into 2024. Bonkers.
Old 24 March 2022, 06:17 PM   #78
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
One overtook me on the motorway this week.

Lots of road presence and obviously looks incredibly modern.

Back end looks like the Rolls Royce Cullinan to me. I suspect that was the look they were going for.

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 11:15 PM   #79
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
I agree with some of the other comments….the new design is very Velar like. We’ve owned several RR’s and have had good luck so far with the brand.
I’m currently enjoying my new ‘22 Defender 90. Just a bit over 1k miles, so I can’t comment on dependability longevity on this one yet.
wow. just seeing these. you are not kidding. definitely looks like the velar.

not a fan. but need to see IRL to really know.

love the defender. I like the boxy look.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 11:24 PM   #80
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre12rodgers View Post
It's the window design, look short and Velar-like. I think that's what looks off to me.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2022, 03:06 AM   #81
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
wow. just seeing these. you are not kidding. definitely looks like the velar.

not a fan. but need to see IRL to really know.

love the defender. I like the boxy look.
The boxy look has always been attractive to me….G wagon, old school Cherokee, H1, old FJ40, etc….
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2022, 11:11 AM   #82
crcjr1963
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
We currently own a 2014 L405 Supercharged that has been perfect for 60k miles. We also own a 2007 L322 HSE that has been bulletproof and is our weekend “truck”. I. recently purchased a new 2022 L663 Defender 110 P400 SE that we absolutely love. We traded my 2016 L405 Supercharged on that one, but I loved that car also. Three LR family and we love them all.
crcjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 01:38 AM   #83
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcjr1963 View Post
We currently own a 2014 L405 Supercharged that has been perfect for 60k miles. We also own a 2007 L322 HSE that has been bulletproof and is our weekend “truck”. I. recently purchased a new 2022 L663 Defender 110 P400 SE that we absolutely love. We traded my 2016 L405 Supercharged on that one, but I loved that car also. Three LR family and we love them all.
Those Ford/Jaguar electronics etc. imo are extremely reliable. My L322 Supercharged has been bulletproof as well. Great truck for the trail too
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 02:00 PM   #84
lear60man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Put 110k miles on my 2016 full-size and not one issue. Same with a close friend's 2016 Sport. I find that most people who comment about reliability have never owned one. I've owned multiple high end SUVs including an AMG G Wagon... and my Range Rover by far held up better in every way.
Im on my third RR. Blew a transmission in my P38 after some serious stop and go up a mountain...cant fault the car. Put in a rebuilt one and and sold it around 130k miles. The L322 was a great RR....miss her a lot. Ive had the 2016 supercharged v8 for a few years now and not a hiccup. But yea, people who bash the brand the most hae never owned one or dont know how to turn a wrench.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 07:25 AM   #85
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love that! Perfect beach or vacation home car. May need to pick up a 110 Defender myself.
My Aunt and Uncle have that same car in red. It sits along side a 1987 XJ6. Neither leave the garage. The RR just had the brakes done. $6,000!!!!! That's an expensive toy to put the boat in and out of the water 2X a year!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 08:29 AM   #86
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
My Aunt and Uncle have that same car in red. It sits along side a 1987 XJ6. Neither leave the garage. The RR just had the brakes done. $6,000!!!!! That's an expensive toy to put the boat in and out of the water 2X a year!!
But hey... if you can, why the hell not???
Old 5 April 2022, 10:53 PM   #87
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Update: delivery was pushed back to 4/22 - no reasoning yet. Hopefully not the first of many delays. Fingers crossed. Still the first allocation to arrive in my region.
Old 7 April 2022, 11:49 AM   #88
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
They are out
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 01:12 PM   #89
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
I recently bought the Defender (actually, I bought two; the first one died in JLR's parking lot when I took it back for the 5th time for a critical gearbox issue: https://youtu.be/xCwR7ceur2s). In fact, I was the first person to take a production model into the Arctic Circle -- there is a series of videos on the event here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...Zvcc61WVzRK0vU

The first six months were great, but I had a very disappointing experience with it in the end (the first few months were great, but in the end it had so many issues I had to trade it on, as JLR wouldn't (couldn't) fix them): https://youtu.be/9T6M-hjuhBc.

The Defender was my 48th Land Rover, and I traded it in for a Discovery 5. I sold it very soon after for separation issues, but ended up replacing it with another L322 (2010 Range Rover). Tbh, I think JLR peaked with the L322. While I have driven an L405 (previous gen), and while I appreciate the increase in technology, the last two generations have missed the mark for me. This is likely because I am a bit of a working guy and I need my vehicle to be able to keep up with the work that I do, but also because I think the build quality and material quality have deteriorated a bit. While there is clearly much less tech on the L322, the thing is still built like a tank, where the L405 and the L460 seem to be lacking in that respect: the bonnet of an L322, for instance, does not dent or deform when you kneel on it -- both the new gens do.

I did appreciate the tech upgrade in my Defender and my D5 (the latter was a surprisingly pleasant vehicle, despite its unpopularity: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...j-bDCYjLRVdN0S) but I am happy to be sticking with my L322: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...f774FZhJ7rURrn

All of that said, if you don't need or use your Land Rover like I do, then I am certain that it will be a grand vehicle!

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 01:32 AM   #90
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
They are out
What