The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2022, 02:17 AM   #91
cbalster
"TRF" Member

The watch industry really underserves San Francisco. One can only hope that someday there will be enough wealth in this part of the country to attract Patek, AP, ALS, and VC to support boutiques. We do have Hublot and Bulgari at least.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 02:17 AM   #92
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Patek still sells watches out of a small coat closet underneath the stairwell at Tiffany's in San Francisco.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 02:38 AM   #93
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
The watch industry really underserves San Francisco. One can only hope that someday there will be enough wealth in this part of the country to attract Patek, AP, ALS, and VC to support boutiques. We do have Hublot and Bulgari at least.
Too many apple watches.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 02:44 AM   #94
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I inquired if there will ever be a FPJ boutique in SF. And the answer was a quick no, the reason being that they don’t have enough watches to sell already. I am sure it is the same case with AP, VC and Lange.

My guess is that if you want a piece badly enough, you can always travel to SoCal to show your “dedication”. In most cases, the piece you want to see would not be in store anyway and if you are lucky, the boutique can arrange to have one transferred from another store for you to try on. So having a local store here is minimal benefit to the brand.

Another interesting fact I found out this weekend. VC has 31 boutiques (not AD) in China. And just within Shanghai, there are 4 boutiques and countless ADs. And there are only 5 boutiques in the entire USA. I found it shocking…
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 05:17 AM   #95
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I inquired if there will ever be a FPJ boutique in SF. And the answer was a quick no, the reason being that they don’t have enough watches to sell already. I am sure it is the same case with AP, VC and Lange.

My guess is that if you want a piece badly enough, you can always travel to SoCal to show your “dedication”. In most cases, the piece you want to see would not be in store anyway and if you are lucky, the boutique can arrange to have one transferred from another store for you to try on. So having a local store here is minimal benefit to the brand.

Another interesting fact I found out this weekend. VC has 31 boutiques (not AD) in China. And just within Shanghai, there are 4 boutiques and countless ADs. And there are only 5 boutiques in the entire USA. I found it shocking…
AP there is definitely no stock, Lange surprisingly has always been very available when I've made inquiries (never bought - watches are too thick and too top heavy IMO). VC has stock sans the OS. I think you're otherwise right.

The 31 VC boutiques in China vs 5 in USA is indeed a telling statistic.
Old 26 April 2022, 05:34 AM   #96
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
AP there is definitely no stock, Lange surprisingly has always been very available when I've made inquiries (never bought - watches are too thick and too top heavy IMO). VC has stock sans the OS. I think you're otherwise right.

The 31 VC boutiques in China vs 5 in USA is indeed a telling statistic.

At AD, both Lange and VC are very low stock. My Lange AD told me that he did not get anything invoiced but Lange since November. Agree that at the boutique, most references are available except a few of the hot ones.

It seems like Richemont is really trying to kill their ADs.

I am always amazed at how NorCal is being ignored by many brands when it is a relatively affluent area too.
Old 26 April 2022, 03:41 PM   #97
zhangster
"TRF" Member

Watch: guess
Quote:
I am always amazed at how NorCal is being ignored by many brands when it is a relatively affluent area too.
Most people here have their millions of dollars tied up in their 1600-sqft homes, or aren't interested in anything analog anyway.
zhangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 02:28 AM   #98
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangster View Post
Most people here have their millions of dollars tied up in their 1600-sqft homes, or aren't interested in anything analog anyway.
There is a lot of interest in watches in the Bay Area. But we also travel a lot and end up buying in LA, NYC, Hawaii, etc.
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 03:00 AM   #99
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanzenberg View Post
There is a lot of interest in watches in the Bay Area. But we also travel a lot and end up buying in LA, NYC, Hawaii, etc.

I dealt mostly out of the country as there are too many whales here in the Bay Area. Try to get on a 5167 waitlist and you will find out.

Even SoCal is too intense for me.
Old 27 April 2022, 03:14 AM   #100
Rock Strongo
Banned

Watch: Yes
Quote:
The Bay Area is the wealthiest part of the US. The watch scene is pretty strong and only growing, but I agree it's underserved. Lots of high-end watch fans in big tech.

I think historically luxury watch retailers were supported by the industries where people still have to wear dress clothes (government, finance), so they have roots in those metro areas.
Rock Strongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2022, 12:43 AM   #101
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Strongo View Post
The Bay Area is the wealthiest part of the US. The watch scene is pretty strong and only growing, but I agree it's underserved. Lots of high-end watch fans in big tech.

I think historically luxury watch retailers were supported by the industries where people still have to wear dress clothes (government, finance), so they have roots in those metro areas.

Which is really a big loss for the industry. I ran into a guy in ripped T-shirt, sandals and shorts (I.e. your typical tech guy) and he came into the store which happened to have a Datograph Perpetual in stock. And this guy just bought it right away without a second thought and was not even pre-planned.

I am quite sure per-capita income in the Bay Area should be higher than SoCal.
Old 28 April 2022, 01:05 AM   #102
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which is really a big loss for the industry. I ran into a guy in ripped T-shirt, sandals and shorts (I.e. your typical tech guy) and he came into the store which happened to have a Datograph Perpetual in stock. And this guy just bought it right away without a second thought and was not even pre-planned.

that is funny, given what he was wearing i know this did not happen in san francisco, because you can never dress like that here.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2022, 06:48 AM   #103
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

100% agree! There is so many people with lots of disposable money in SF Bay Area.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 09:08 AM   #104
Cmmatthews
"TRF" Member

Watch: Double Red SD
I was at Shreve as they were ripping out the Patek display a couple weeks ago. Sales person tried to put a positive spin on it by talking about all the great brands they carry. Unfortunately, the Rolex display was empty, the Lange display was empty, and only the IWC and Panerai areas had anything of interest.

At this point I have a better relationship with Bucherer in NYC, where I was offered a Sub a week after inquiring about it. They don't do phone sales so I had to send a friend in NYC to pick it up.
Cmmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 01:08 PM   #105
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

The Bay Area is one of the richest places in the world.

My impression is that most of the watch brands were once fairly available at mom and pop jewelers that have since gone out of business. Places like Kern's are the only ones left. However I'm not quite sure why the brands have never opened up shops as they have NYC.

My guess is that there's relatively less foreign wealth here than NYC.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 11:47 PM   #106
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Yes it's definitely counter-intuitive to move towards less representation here. We don't have watch buying statistics but the money is here
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 01:06 AM   #107
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Still 60 ADs in the US per the Patek website. I thought the number was less.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 08:54 AM   #108
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
The Bay Area is one of the richest places in the world.

My impression is that most of the watch brands were once fairly available at mom and pop jewelers that have since gone out of business. Places like Kern's are the only ones left. However I'm not quite sure why the brands have never opened up shops as they have NYC.

My guess is that there's relatively less foreign wealth here than NYC.

Not much in terms of tourists I’d assume relative to NYC. Also do the rich tech guys give a crap about watches? I have no idea I’m seriously asking.
Old 2 May 2022, 08:59 AM   #109
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Not much in terms of tourists I’d assume relative to NYC. Also do the rich tech guys give a crap about watches? I have no idea I’m seriously asking.

I believe GaryG and his group is NorCal based.
Old 2 May 2022, 09:18 AM   #110
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Not all, but some definitely do [0]. That said, I lived in NYC and now am based in the Bay Area and definitely see fewer nice watches day-to-day in the office or while out and about.

[0] e.g. https://www.hodinkee.com/magazine/jony-ive-apple
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 10:43 AM   #111
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
Not all, but some definitely do [0]. That said, I lived in NYC and now am based in the Bay Area and definitely see fewer nice watches day-to-day in the office or while out and about.

[0] e.g. https://www.hodinkee.com/magazine/jony-ive-apple
It's definitely not like Miami which is where one sees the most high end watches in the US from my experience.

The Bay Area culture just doesn't value fashion and flashiness.
Old 3 May 2022, 11:19 PM   #112
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's definitely not like Miami which is where one sees the most high end watches in the US from my experience.

The Bay Area culture just doesn't value fashion and flashiness.
I think but am not sure that the bay area watch scene tilts towards vintage. I get the sense hq milton and tropicalwatch sell a lot of pieces to the silicon valley tech crowd.

n terms of the norcal gang of 6 and garyg, those guys have global relationships with the brands. gary g just bought a white gold nautilus perpetual calendar from the geneva boutique, local pick up. Also, stephen silver is in menlo park doing business in independents with a lot of VC guys in the Valley. I think if you're hanging out at the Rosewood on Sand Hill you wont see someone trying to flex a skydweller on Thursday night at the bar, but you might see someone with a Gruebel Forsey.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 05:32 AM   #113
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Interesting development. As for the remaining ADs, I feel Kern's is more likely to lose Rolex than PP at this point.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 05:55 AM   #114
Will_L
"TRF" Member

The latest 'victim' is La Viano Jewelers in Westwood. And that is number eleven this year to be discontinued by Patek
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:45 AM   #115
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexandlange View Post
I think but am not sure that the bay area watch scene tilts towards vintage. I get the sense hq milton and tropicalwatch sell a lot of pieces to the silicon valley tech crowd.

n terms of the norcal gang of 6 and garyg, those guys have global relationships with the brands. gary g just bought a white gold nautilus perpetual calendar from the geneva boutique, local pick up. Also, stephen silver is in menlo park doing business in independents with a lot of VC guys in the Valley. I think if you're hanging out at the Rosewood on Sand Hill you wont see someone trying to flex a skydweller on Thursday night at the bar, but you might see someone with a Gruebel Forsey.
Yes, I think there's more of a vintage Rolex/Omega crowd in the Bay Area as well as independents. When you go down to Southern California it's more the Miami stuff.

I imagine independents are popular because they resonate with the tech crowd's mantra of "thinking outside the box".
Old 11 May 2022, 04:10 PM   #116
Flyingpoint
"TRF" Member

It is a truly sad news to me. I was lucky enough to got my first Rolex/Pepsi from Shreve half year ago. I was very pleased by the SA over there, and always wanted to work the way up approaching a PP one day. Guess I will have to figure another way for my dream of PP. However, I still keep visiting Shreve for needs of jewelries and Rolex.
Flyingpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 04:50 AM   #117
MrGrayD
"TRF" Member

Didn't find them particularly helpful

On Patek - took 5711 and 5712 in for link removal...asked about an Aquanaut (and this was years ago) and the manager (Palo Alto - Jeffrey or Geoffrey) suggested buying lots of jewelry would *help*... of course he did lol

In SF they were even less interested ...gave Patek lady (I think she was called Alison) there my details for a couple of non sports watches ..she seemed keen, and ...tumbleweed after taking name/email/cell etc

No big loss I go to Kerns now

Last edited by MrGrayD; 12 May 2022 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: adding info
MrGrayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 09:41 AM   #118
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, I think there's more of a vintage Rolex/Omega crowd in the Bay Area as well as independents. When you go down to Southern California it's more the Miami stuff.

I imagine independents are popular because they resonate with the tech crowd's mantra of "thinking outside the box".
Most tech people or even VC don't care for watches tbh. Of course, there are always oddballs such as myself. :) And nope not interested in vintage stuff at all. If I can't get a watch from AD then I don't care for it.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 09:49 AM   #119
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexandlange View Post

Isn’t that cougar night there?
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 10:09 AM   #120
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post

Isn’t that cougar night there?

100% accurate. Hilarious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote