The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 May 2022, 11:30 AM   #1
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Can someone tell me how...

Hi! I'm glad there's this subforum here, because the watch I always wanted is the 5167A. It's crazy because I have been working a lot and I saved a lot and did really well and finally felt like I could splurge and then.....BOOM....what is going on? Is this all PPP loan fraud or what is happening?

I, frankly, don't want to "build a relationship" with a dealer. I know that sounds awful but I only want the ONE watch! I'm under 40, just started making good money in the past 5 years, and now I'm walking into ADs and they don't even make eye contact with me. I stopped into a Vacheron botique in NYC (my location) and they were SUPER nice and respectful but I don't really like their watches except I guess the Overseas, but that's one where they basically recoil in horror if you mention it to them. The AP botique is a joke and made me basically hate the brand even tho they have some cool vintage ultrathin stuff. Super snobby and gross.

I just want the 5167A and I wanted it for ages...... ugh. If I'm priced out forever now, it's gonna be sort of the end of watches for me. I collect dinky stuff that I take apart and modify, but I'm not gonna buy 10 JLCs to get on a list. It's just dumb. Rolex is unreal! I remember when you could walk in and buy a sub for like $6k. I made like $15k that year, so it wasn't an option, but I remember it haha.

Any of you whales wanna help me out on a hookup? Think of it as charity!
speedyomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 12:23 PM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyomega View Post
Hi! I'm glad there's this subforum here, because the watch I always wanted is the 5167A. It's crazy because I have been working a lot and I saved a lot and did really well and finally felt like I could splurge and then.....BOOM....what is going on? Is this all PPP loan fraud or what is happening?

I, frankly, don't want to "build a relationship" with a dealer. I know that sounds awful but I only want the ONE watch! I'm under 40, just started making good money in the past 5 years, and now I'm walking into ADs and they don't even make eye contact with me. I stopped into a Vacheron botique in NYC (my location) and they were SUPER nice and respectful but I don't really like their watches except I guess the Overseas, but that's one where they basically recoil in horror if you mention it to them. The AP botique is a joke and made me basically hate the brand even tho they have some cool vintage ultrathin stuff. Super snobby and gross.

I just want the 5167A and I wanted it for ages...... ugh. If I'm priced out forever now, it's gonna be sort of the end of watches for me. I collect dinky stuff that I take apart and modify, but I'm not gonna buy 10 JLCs to get on a list. It's just dumb. Rolex is unreal! I remember when you could walk in and buy a sub for like $6k. I made like $15k that year, so it wasn't an option, but I remember it haha.

Honestly, your only realistic option is buying on the secondary market. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just not being honest. There are hundreds of threads on TRF just like yours about hyped watches like the 516x, 57xx, Daytona etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 12:24 PM   #3
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Very easy solution. Great grey seller. DSW. EWC. HQM. SOHAIS. THANH. ETC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 01:38 PM   #4
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Genuine question: what makes you want the 5167 and nothing else in the catalogue or nothing else comparable?
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 01:54 PM   #5
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

You really really love Aquanaut, it’s the only watch you want and you maybe like Overseas, you probably like Royal oak and don’t want anything else from these brands. That’s the same with 8 millions people out there. Keep saving until you can buy one from resellers.What is it going for on secondary market these days? $75k-$80k?
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 02:45 PM   #6
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawalsh View Post
You really really love Aquanaut, it’s the only watch you want and you maybe like Overseas, you probably like Royal oak and don’t want anything else from these brands. That’s the same with 8 millions people out there. Keep saving until you can buy one from resellers.What is it going for on secondary market these days? $75k-$80k?
+1

A single family home in a good school district is up a good deal too. You gotta decide how bad you want it and prioritize, but market price is market price and people can’t afford rent.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 02:54 PM   #7
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
What a pointless thread. If you can’t be bothered to make an effort for something you want, then just pay up and resolve the issue. Too much entitlement.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 04:28 PM   #8
Gva1985
"TRF" Member

Not to be mean as I sympathise with your situation but your profile is AP/PP/VC’s worst nightmare :) a customers obsessed with the cheaper/most in demand watch in their catalogue
Gva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 05:06 PM   #9
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gva1985 View Post
Not to be mean as I sympathise with your situation but your profile is AP/PP/VC’s worst nightmare :) a customers obsessed with the cheaper/most in demand watch in their catalogue
Yep. It's the buying profile they currently want absolutely nothing to do with.

Based on the OP oneitis for the Patek, lack of purchase history, 0.0% desire to start a purchase history and the repulsion of dealing with any grey market channels to obtain the watch, I would say the acquisition of this reference will not occur.

OP would have to hope market craters to a point that his purchase would be considered "important" enough for the dealer to offer him one or simply forget completely about it and move on to a different hobby...etc.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 05:56 PM   #10
DonLee
"TRF" Member

As much as we like to own hyped watches, they are hyped for a reason. Difficult to get. And honestly there are a lot of under appreciated watches. Sometimes you have to accept that you won’t be able to afford the watch you want the most, and that’s ok. I’ve accepted I’m not going to buy a Ferrari, because it just doesn’t make sense for me to spend that much on a depreciating asset. Plenty of other sports cars that I can enjoy
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 07:04 PM   #11
HMHM
"TRF" Member

But the Omega Speedmaster is a great watch too, as your username suggests!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 07:41 PM   #12
Oneday333
"TRF" Member

I resonate with your story, as someone that started to looking into luxury watches in the last 12 months or so, only because it is financially viable to do so, although the timing couldn't be worst!

I have since "expressed an interest" in a white dial VS OS, a PP 5396-011 or 015, a 5167A, and a Rolex (the PP and Rolex at the same AD)...

If by magic they all are available at AD I will buy them all, but at the end of the day I am very logical/cheap in that I don't want to pay a premium to reseller so I am happy to wait. Don't get me wrong, waiting sucks, but its the reality. At the mean time, the surplus cash can be invested and hope it will earn a return while waiting (although no guarantees!) for those watches..... It will be a long wait...
Oneday333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 08:27 PM   #13
ts3
"TRF" Member

Bad timing.

Why would a "whale" risk their reputation with the AD by passing on a 5167 to an internet stranger? Imagine if you flipped the piece and the AD found out?

But there is hope... Times may not stay like this forever...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 09:19 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If it was a one watch, one time situation I would find the watch I wanted at the best Trusted Seller. I would negotiate, pay and have the watch by lunch time tomorrow. I would then begin the ownership experience and enjoy my new purchase. The price is only relevant when you look to resale and if that is not going to happen then just enjoy your watch. I would also stay away from looking at prices and new models etc. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 09:20 PM   #15
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Bad timing.

Why would a "whale" risk their reputation with the AD by passing on a 5167 to an internet stranger? Imagine if you flipped the piece and the AD found out?

+1

and can earn x2 or x3 immediately if you flipped.

I also really wanted 5712 and 5726 before 2021 and have given up already.

Prepare to wait and get them after the hype.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 10:10 PM   #16
joe&joe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not going to happen anytime soon, I highly recommend looking at something else you like, I'm sure there is something else that you like, is available and is within your budget (20k)... IT IS OK TO COMPROMISE, especially if you are not a MILLIONAIRE.
joe&joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 11:35 PM   #17
DK7
"TRF" Member

no way you get it from AD, sorry.
Go and call your broker and say i would like to buy Tesla stocks but only for 200$, same.
Millions of people want the same thing, your AD gets ~2 units from 5167a yearly.
So now you may have an idea of ​​how realistic your chances are.
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 11:59 PM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I just want the 5167A and I wanted it for ages...... ugh. If I'm priced out forever now, it's gonna be sort of the end of watches for me.
There are many other fine watches and brands.

Otherwise I understand your frustration but you will not get one from an AD, you need to make a decision.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 12:11 AM   #19
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
If you are willing to pay market price, I would visit Michael Ashton on Madison Avenue in New York City. He is a fine fellow and sells very high-quality Patek Phillippe’s including Aquanauts.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 02:50 AM   #20
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Secondary market is the only way unfortunately.

You can still go in and chat with a Patek AD, but the results should not be any different than others. There a lot of people in the same situation as you.

Timing is everything, just like everything in life.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 07:41 AM   #21
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
You got a 1% chance getting any AD selling you a 5167a. Go secondary or look at another Patek model. Just like the speedmaster snoopy no AD in their right mind will sell that to anyone with no prior buying history with their store in this marekt.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 09:01 AM   #22
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Genuine question: what makes you want the 5167 and nothing else in the catalogue or nothing else comparable?
It's the most low-key and....I like rubber straps. I've worn it, it is awesome. The rest of PP has an elderly vibe or it's waaay too formal. Nautilus is okay but too flashy and I like the aquanaut way better. I also generally dislike complications. Aquanaut is the coolest one they make.
Old 17 May 2022, 09:03 AM   #23
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
What a pointless thread. If you can’t be bothered to make an effort for something you want, then just pay up and resolve the issue. Too much entitlement.
1) This is making an effort. I'm collecting information.

2) "too much entitlement" lool okay we're talking about watches that retail for more than what most people on Earth make in a year, but go off king, you sound like real salt of the earth.
Old 17 May 2022, 09:06 AM   #24
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawalsh View Post
The Overseas is okay. The Royal Oak is not cool, and AP is the worst retail experience in the universe.

I'm not really like 8 million other people. I want one watch and it's impossible to get it because all these grey dealers somehow scoop them all up.

I think most big name watches will eventually become so associated with hype that there will be an inversion in what's fashionable. The Submariner is already getting to be embarassing to be seen wearing. I just don't like waiting I guess.
Old 17 May 2022, 09:09 AM   #25
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gva1985 View Post
I see that but I'm also in my 30s and typically brands in the fashion space like to have customers under 60. The current calatravas are country club brunch specials. They should make more cool watches! The idea of making people buy all the undeseriable stuff to get the good stuff is bizarre. Make them all good stuff!
Old 17 May 2022, 09:12 AM   #26
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
As much as we like to own hyped watches, they are hyped for a reason. Difficult to get. And honestly there are a lot of under appreciated watches. Sometimes you have to accept that you won’t be able to afford the watch you want the most, and that’s ok. I’ve accepted I’m not going to buy a Ferrari, because it just doesn’t make sense for me to spend that much on a depreciating asset. Plenty of other sports cars that I can enjoy
Bruh my cars are all under 20k and they are the ones that I want. Feeels good. I didn't settle, I just have cheap taste. I don't WANT a Ferrari, sounds like a nightmare.
Old 17 May 2022, 09:13 AM   #27
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
But the Omega Speedmaster is a great watch too, as your username suggests!
It is although I think chronos are goofy tbh. I saw the latest speedmaster and the bracelet is so much better-- made me jealous.
Old 17 May 2022, 09:16 AM   #28
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Bad timing.

lol because they're bored and when you'er that rich sometimes you just dgaf?

Yeah I get like why would anyone trust me not to flip it tho. But I'm also KINDA rich and I don't need to jump through hoops for 50k. That said, I would feel like a dunce paying street prices when the brand new one from the dealer is so "cheap".
Old 17 May 2022, 09:22 AM   #29
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK7 View Post
no way you get it from AD, sorry.
Go and call your broker and say i would like to buy Tesla stocks but only for 200$, same.
Millions of people want the same thing, your AD gets ~2 units from 5167a yearly.
So now you may have an idea of ​​how realistic your chances are.
What city do you live? I'm in NYC. Walk into Wempe they literally have no watches except their own brand and some JLCs literally no one wants. I don't understand how anyone is supposed to "build history" or whatever with a dealer when there isn't anything to buy. I would buy a rolex OP if it was 3 years ago...but now even those are extinct.

I'm not buying a Panerai on the HOPE I can get on a list. It's insane.
Old 17 May 2022, 09:54 AM   #30
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

You just don’t get it. You like one of the most sought after (if not the most) watch in the world. Time to accept it and move on. I like many things in life that I can’t have and I am okay with it. Maybe put it in the back burner for now, it might come down to $40k just like before all this craze or you make more money that you can just buy it from resellers.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote