The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2022, 02:38 AM   #1
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

Bite the bullet? Or make peace with myself? Obsessing over the 5740/1G

Hi there everyone!

I found myself potentially in a bit of a predicament and would welcome any suggestions or advice from my fellow watch enthusiasts.

I've recently acquired a 5726/1A-014 (Via AD and all I can say is I'm very lucky and grateful) and I was operating under the assumption that this will be my "Exit Watch". Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. In fact, I found myself lusting after other watches like 2-3 days later.

The watch I'm after is the 5740/1G. Now I'm not gonna go into the details on why I want it.(I'm sure everyone here agrees it's a watch hard to say no) I've also spoke with my AD and he told me that I can start "playing" again in 6 months time. Apparently some gap time is needed if I want to go after the hot items. I've also tip toed around the subject of bundle buy and all. And basically he told me it will most likely be dependent on the market value at the time when the piece has been allocated. He also told me he sold two 5740 in 2021 so I guess he knows what he's doing. My AD has been very genuine and made promises that they can keep so I trust them. However, given how hot 5740 is at the moment and in the foreseeable future, I don't see the market price cooling fast and soon enough.

So my question is should I sell some of pieces from my collection to fund this? Or should I make peace with myself and let it be?

My Collection : AP15202, VC4500V, Rolex 116509, PP5396R, PP5205G
Thebluewatchlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 05:27 AM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebluewatchlover View Post
Hi there everyone!

I found myself potentially in a bit of a predicament and would welcome any suggestions or advice from my fellow watch enthusiasts.

I've recently acquired a 5726/1A-014 (Via AD and all I can say is I'm very lucky and grateful) and I was operating under the assumption that this will be my "Exit Watch". Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. In fact, I found myself lusting after other watches like 2-3 days later.

The watch I'm after is the 5740/1G. Now I'm not gonna go into the details on why I want it.(I'm sure everyone here agrees it's a watch hard to say no) I've also spoke with my AD and he told me that I can start "playing" again in 6 months time. Apparently some gap time is needed if I want to go after the hot items. I've also tip toed around the subject of bundle buy and all. And basically he told me it will most likely be dependent on the market value at the time when the piece has been allocated. He also told me he sold two 5740 in 2021 so I guess he knows what he's doing. My AD has been very genuine and made promises that they can keep so I trust them. However, given how hot 5740 is at the moment and in the foreseeable future, I don't see the market price cooling fast and soon enough.

So my question is should I sell some of pieces from my collection to fund this? Or should I make peace with myself and let it be?

if you want it and have the money go for it. seems like you have a reasonable chance to get it in 6 months or so. I think the more important question is should you sell your other watches now or wait - I honestly don't know my gut says it's better to sell before the market further collapses.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 05:58 AM   #3
joa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi there everyone!

normally i would say, if you have to sell watches to buy new ones, stop buying for a while.

however, it sounds like you have access to a money multiplying machine (your AD), so i would make the estimation of how much premium the 5740 might command on secondary market, and what you want to give away in order to gain access to that premium. If you find an acceptable solution, do it, because your AD connection sounds like a rare opportunity. And, you know what they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
Old 17 May 2022, 06:00 AM   #4
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

At 300k this is not something I can fathom for myself. However I and many would agree this is pinnacle of the type (non-vintage sports luxury) and if you want the “best” this is it.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 07:06 AM   #5
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

I like mine FWIW.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 07:46 AM   #6
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
That's my grail watch if your AD can get you one sell everything and buy the 5740.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 08:12 AM   #7
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I have been on the waitlist since end of 2020 and was given a 2023 delivery date but may see it this year if I get lucky. This will be my end-all Nautilus piece as I don’t see myself lusting for another Nautilus after this.

Since your AD gets two pieces per year, it seems like you are in a very good position. Most ADs get only one piece per year. You are at least in a better shape as I was.

The 5740 is probably a different watch from the 5726 as it is thinner so it it closer to the original 5711 profile. I was offered the 5726 but turned it down for the 5740 for this reason. As I feel that a Nautilus should be thin and refined. But that is just my personal preference.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 08:13 AM   #8
7sins
"TRF" Member

I see you have a jumbo too in your collection, here is the 5740 against my jumbo. IMO it really doesn't get much better than the 5740. The white gold is very warm in person, plus QP movement in a slim case, it is, subjectively, the pinnacle of the nautilus lineup. If you can get a retail, I would 110% get the watch and or trade into it. Sounds like you have at least 6 months to make a decision.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 09:13 AM   #9
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I would not recommend selling any watches for now, unless you want to cash out on a particular model that you no longer wear.
You should wait to see if you can get a 5740 at retail and hang on to what you have until then.

We have similar collections. I’ve got the 116500, 15400st, 5712/1a, 4500v, PP5196G, and other steel sports models. That’s always been my style to wear a stainless watch on a bracelet.
I was allocated a 5712/1a last year and I love it so much, I really think it’s my last watch.

I also look to the 5740 (and even some APRO Perpetuals) as true grail pieces. And to me a grail piece is the type that would no longer necessitate having the rest of my collection.
But, the 5740 is in white gold which is not ideal for me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s gorgeous and thin, but the heft of WG, and less durability put me off some.

If the 5740 was in stainless, I’d trade all but one Rolex for it and never look back.
So, wait for the 5740 and enjoy what you have so far. Most would be envious of any watch in your collection.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 09:15 AM   #10
Chute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post

I like mine FWIW.
Man that’s a great looking watch!

I like how there’s no center seconds like the 5712. It makes the hour and minute hands more prominent
Old 17 May 2022, 10:42 AM   #11
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post

The 5740 is probably a different watch from the 5726 as it is thinner so it it closer to the original 5711 profile. I was offered the 5726 but turned it down for the 5740 for this reason. As I feel that a Nautilus should be thin and refined. But that is just my personal preference.
This. I had a 5726 and disliked the thickness. 5711, 5712 and 5740 are the ones for me.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 10:57 AM   #12
Sheldor
"TRF" Member

Completely agree with this sentiment. I purchase the 5726 when it came out super excited with the history of the annual calendar tradition in Patek, classic blue dial, and symmetry. However, the size and thickness of the watch limited the wearability. I just got the 5740 last week and it's been a daily wearer since. I appreciate the weight of it as a special watch and the dial is a wonderful electric blue. Absolutely love this grail piece.
Sheldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 11:22 AM   #13
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
If you can buy the 5740 at retail and can sell the 15202 at current mkt prices that’s a great trade IMHO
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 11:42 AM   #14
Chute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldor View Post
Completely agree with this sentiment. I purchase the 5726 when it came out super excited with the history of the annual calendar tradition in Patek, classic blue dial, and symmetry. However, the size and thickness of the watch limited the wearability. I just got the 5740 last week and it's been a daily wearer since. I appreciate the weight of it as a special watch and the dial is a wonderful electric blue. Absolutely love this grail piece.
Congratulations on the 5740! Glad to hear its getting wrist time.

There was a time when the white dial and gray dial 5726a's were available in the case and I didn't like them as they were too chunky. When they came out with the blue dial, the size didn't change. Some really enjoy the bigger Nautilus models, but the slim 3700/5711/5712/5740's are the best!
Old 17 May 2022, 04:57 PM   #15
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

To be honest, I'm quite satisfy with all the pieces I have in my collection. I actually don't want to sell any of them if I can. I guess I should wait a bit perhaps than I'll see the light or something lol.
Old 17 May 2022, 04:58 PM   #16
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post
normally i would say, if you have to sell watches to buy new ones, stop buying for a while.

however, it sounds like you have access to a money multiplying machine (your AD), so i would make the estimation of how much premium the 5740 might command on secondary market, and what you want to give away in order to gain access to that premium. If you find an acceptable solution, do it, because your AD connection sounds like a rare opportunity. And, you know what they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
Agreed. I guess I'll just have to wait a bit and hope this market cools a bit than maybe then I don't have to fork out such a huge premium?
Old 17 May 2022, 04:59 PM   #17
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
At 300k this is not something I can fathom for myself. However I and many would agree this is pinnacle of the type (non-vintage sports luxury) and if you want the “best” this is it.
You're absolutely spot on. 5740 is the grail of grail.
Old 17 May 2022, 05:01 PM   #18
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I like mine FWIW.
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to share how to come to acquire it? Like were you a long time customer with a particular AD? Was there a bundle buy to get it? Anything will be most helpful and appreciated.
Old 17 May 2022, 05:04 PM   #19
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I have been on the waitlist since end of 2020 and was given a 2023 delivery date but may see it this year if I get lucky. This will be my end-all Nautilus piece as I don’t see myself lusting for another Nautilus after this.

Since your AD gets two pieces per year, it seems like you are in a very good position. Most ADs get only one piece per year. You are at least in a better shape as I was.

Yeah I pretty much share your same thoughts on getting a 5740 will end all my desire to acquire any other further Nautilus pieces. Please post a brief review and photos when you acquire this beau :)
Old 17 May 2022, 05:08 PM   #20
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
I see you have a jumbo too in your collection, here is the 5740 against my jumbo. IMO it really doesn't get much better than the 5740. The white gold is very warm in person, plus QP movement in a slim case, it is, subjectively, the pinnacle of the nautilus lineup. If you can get a retail, I would 110% get the watch and or trade into it. Sounds like you have at least 6 months to make a decision.

Congrats and those two watches you have there are absolutely gorgeous! I'm curious how do they feel on your wrist? Is one more heavy than the other or about the same? I've read and been told that PM watches are scratch magnets and less durable is it true?

As for my SS Jumbo, I like it a lot however, there are times where I feel like I'm not wearing anything due how light and thin it is.
Old 17 May 2022, 05:14 PM   #21
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
I would not recommend selling any watches for now, unless you want to cash out on a particular model that you no longer wear.
You should wait to see if you can get a 5740 at retail and hang on to what you have until then.

We have similar collections. I’ve got the 116500, 15400st, 5712/1a, 4500v, PP5196G, and other steel sports models. That’s always been my style to wear a stainless watch on a bracelet.
I was allocated a 5712/1a last year and I love it so much, I really think it’s my last watch.

I also look to the 5740 (and even some APRO Perpetuals) as true grail pieces. And to me a grail piece is the type that would no longer necessitate having the rest of my collection.
But, the 5740 is in white gold which is not ideal for me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s gorgeous and thin, but the heft of WG, and less durability put me off some.

If the 5740 was in stainless, I’d trade all but one Rolex for it and never look back.
So, wait for the 5740 and enjoy what you have so far. Most would be envious of any watch in your collection.
You have a great collection there! Thanks for the advice as well. I guess I'll just wait for another couple of months and see where the market is heading (noticed its cooling down a bit recently?)
Old 17 May 2022, 05:16 PM   #22
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
If you can buy the 5740 at retail and can sell the 15202 at current mkt prices that’s a great trade IMHO
Yes, all things considered. Regrettably the 15202 will be the last watch to leave me collection if I have to sell any pieces.
Old 18 May 2022, 03:59 PM   #23
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

For what it’s worth, I love mine…I wear it A LOT and it still gives me the same level of excitement every time I put it on as when I first bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 04:23 PM   #24
joa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. I guess I'll just have to wait a bit and hope this market cools a bit than maybe then I don't have to fork out such a huge premium?
whatever you do, make sure to get on that waiting list as soon as the AD let's you again. so yes i would wait unless you see a really great deal in grey (but even so i'd not let go of the opportunity your AD seems to offer you down the road)
Old 18 May 2022, 05:02 PM   #25
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Ah…the mirage of the ‘exit watch’! Every time I think this is the exit watch, just like you, looking for another one in a few days!

Maybe try to shake some trees first to see if any dealer holding the watch needs liquidity and might make a sane deal before deciding to reconfigure the collection? If they are willing to deal, I might be inclined to make more rash decisions. If they are still holding firm then I’d try to enjoy the honey moon longer before spoiling with a new distraction.

Amazing collection regardless of your decision!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 10:40 PM   #26
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This. I had a 5726 and disliked the thickness. 5711, 5712 and 5740 are the ones for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldor View Post
Glad I passed the 5726 and stick with the 5740 even though it meant extra two years of wait. Almost there.
Old 18 May 2022, 10:43 PM   #27
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am

I thought you have access to an AD so the you should be paying list price so market condition should not matter?
Old 18 May 2022, 10:51 PM   #28
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I pretty much share your same thoughts on getting a 5740 will end all my desire to acquire any other further Nautilus pieces. Please post a brief review and photos when you acquire this beau :)
Definitely. Nut potentially can be end of 2023.
Old 19 May 2022, 09:03 AM   #29
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

After I got 5740, I stopped wearing my other nautiluses…not a conscious decision, it just sorta happened.

Just do it, you will not look back…all of your life problems will be solved with this one purchase In all seriousness, they nailed it on this one.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 05:02 PM   #30
Thebluewatchlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheaven View Post
For what it’s worth, I love mine…I wear it A LOT and it still gives me the same level of excitement every time I put it on as when I first bought it.

Absolutely stunning! Could you share some of the step you took to acquire it? Like was it through an AD or grey? If through AD was it a bundle buy? Etc etc.