The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 May 2022, 03:20 AM   #31
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Old 23 May 2022, 03:31 AM   #32
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Remain clear of Class C with that phone on your head
MDMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:10 AM   #33
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelair007 View Post
I don’t have that problem that you describe Paul. Unless someone changes the settings on my seat, well damn, I might as well crash land the plane!! One plane I’ve never had to think about landing smoothly was the Grand Caravan C208. Didn’t matter what I did to it, it always landed smoothly…
Funny you should say that. We just had a passenger land a C208 with no flying experience after his pilot became incapacitated here in West Palm Beach, Fl.

He did a great job with the help of an Air Traffic Controller who was also a flight instructor.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 07:47 AM   #34
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

AWESOME!! Everything but that t-shirt
Just kidding. Airbus driver here
Cool photos
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:30 AM   #35
psif
Banned

Very nice photos, cheers to you.
psif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:40 AM   #36
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
Been flying for a living 22 years now, G550 currently. Never gets old. Enjoy yourself.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 09:59 AM   #37
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
Ditch the head mounted whatever thingy. At one point it will be a distraction at the wrong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Heading back to the states from San Juan. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! Lovely view, it never gets old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
So, for all you pilots out there… here is an admission… I suck at over-wings. I learned to fly in a T-34C Mentor, a Beach turboprop (Navy Primary trainer). It is similar to a Piper, maybe a mooney, point being they are low-wings, you sit on top of the lift of the aircraft. The area this makes a difference is in landing, specifically the flare. I could grease on the 34, and after I had my license, my friend’s Piper. Now, we get to the Cessna 172, (I think) the most popular airplane in the world. When I was landing it, I flew it like an over-loaded truck. There is something about hanging underneath the lift of the aircraft when doing the flare that I just can not do (very well anyway). Now, with a low-wing, me sitting on TOP of the lift of the aircraft, I can flare and land with the best of them. What’s the big difference? I don’t know, but the point of this whole post:

When I fly with one of you guys in an over-wing like a 172, and we come in for the landing and I begin the flare…. Well, you might just want to hang on….
That's a very interesting point, the 172 is the only plane I've logged time in thus far. Sounds like it would be a fun flight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Such a fascinating thing...one of those things that I always wanted to try but never did! Keep it up Rommel!
Thanks, Nick! You should definitely give it a try. I can assure you it'll be a memorable experience in the best of ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s awesome Rommel! Are you doing this for pleasure or do you hope to work in aviation?

Side bar …. I had a chance to fly up to Muskoka on a small float plane many years ago. You don’t really think of it, or get to see it when you drive up there, but it really struck me as we were flying in just how many lakes are up there. Water everywhere, I mean everywhere!
Thanks, Brian! Not aiming to be an Airline Transport Pilot, but pursuing it more as a hobby. I'm in no rush, but the ultimate for me is to volunteer. Hope Air and other orgs might be where I look, but each flight produces memories (and ultimately stories) I'll cherish for a lifetime.

I can imagine! Didn't fly around that area yet, but have been North and East of CYOO. Yesterday it was lovely seeing lake Ontario to the right and at one point Rice Lake on the left. Such an incredible thing to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I have a fair amount of time in both high wing and low wing aircraft. Yes, ground effect does play a bigger part in landing a low wing airplane. I don't know that I really prefer one over the other. I learned to fly in a C-150, then continued most of my training in Pipers. They both have their pros and cons. However, I do think a low wing airplane looks better.

Keep up the good work Rommel, and please keep taking us along with you.
Thanks, will do! Trying to go as often as possible. Yesterday we had a 6:00 PM lesson booked but the previous student puked all over the plane. The next plane wouldn't start (the instructor tried for a while) and mechanics had to be called from the hanger. That's the same aircraft from my original post in this thread that had a radio failure days before.

Got into the next aircraft, and dispatch gave the instructor the wrong key. When all was said and done, time down was closer to 9:00 PM which was amazing to experience. Then the post flight talk in the briefing room, adding it to my logbook, etc I left at around 9:30 PM.

When I got home it was hard to sleep because of the excitement and positive feedback the CFI provided for my radio come and pilot skills thus far. It's even documented in my PTR which is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db7566 View Post
Enjoy!
That headgear looks distracting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Believe it or not, it isn't. It's fairly secured and none of the CFI's had an issue with it. I won't always fly with it, but with a smaller device it would be better.

My ideal setup is a mounted action camera with ATC audio, but I'll have to look into quick, easy, and secure methods of placing them that won't take up too mucht time.

Yesterday was a great example, having to get set up in one aircraft and then lug the bags (headset, pilots bag, and aircraft documents) with me. This would've been even worse if I had set up a coupe cameras but won't always be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelair007 View Post
OP, happy for you! This was my first love and passion and I think of being up there everyday!! If I could throw in one small piece of advice, look for an instructor that has been pressure tested through a lifetime of flying. By no mean am I insinuating that your 777 instructor isn’t that person. When I was learning to fly, 27 years ago, I couldn’t afford the nice flight schools nor the fancy aircraft. My flight instructor, may he rest in piece, was a WWII veteran, a gem and sweet man! He was always grumpy and would make me do stuff like hours of ground to map flying with an eye patch or a visor, he was always teaching me little tricks that inevitably saved my life countless times in the mountains and northern flying I did.

You can get great flight instruction from a CFI and qualified pilot. But you can’t get life experience.
100%, and that's what I've always looked for. Many of the instructors at these places definitely lack the life experience. They've got the hours and skill no doubt, but that life experience, the mentor is what I seek.

Captain Scott comes to mind, a retired 747 pilot (askcaptainscott on YouTube).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

My sister became a commercial airline pilot after years of logging in her hours as a student, and later becoming a flight instructor.

Now is the perfect time for anyone interested in becoming a pilot. After Alaska Airlines recently canceled one of my flights, the rep told me the industry is down about 10k pilots. That’s consistent with what I’ve read.
Great story! Glad you enjoyed it and the demand is felt at the airport. I'm seeing a lot of young pilots in training and it's a great sight to behold. It's such an incredible environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
Thanks for looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMH View Post
Remain clear of Class C with
that phone on your head
I'll be switching to a camera mount in the cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Funny you should say that. We just had a passenger land a C208 with no flying experience after his pilot became incapacitated here in West Palm Beach, Fl.

He did a great job with the help of an Air Traffic Controller who was also a flight instructor.
Such an incredible story and glad it ended this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflywrist View Post
AWESOME!! Everything but that t-shirt
Just kidding. Airbus driver here
Cool photos
Haha I'll have to get one of those too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psif View Post
Very nice photos, cheers to you.
Glad you've enjoyed them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H25B View Post
Been flying for a living 22 years now, G550 currently. Never gets old. Enjoy yourself.
I bet you've made some amazing memories during that time!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 11:21 AM   #38
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

More pictures from yesterday's flight, stories to follow!

Old 26 May 2022, 06:38 PM   #39
kearez
"TRF" Member

I did all my training in the 172, great little airplane very forgiving. I think I might still have some of my private training material laying around if you wanted them. My recommendation is to have fun on the cross country and pick interesting airports. Enjoy the flying, also hope your planning to get your instrument as one day it will save your life!
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 11:27 PM   #40
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
I did all my training in the 172, great little airplane very forgiving. I think I might still have some of my private training material laying around if you wanted them. My recommendation is to have fun on the cross country and pick interesting airports. Enjoy the flying, also hope your planning to get your instrument as one day it will save your life!
Thanks, that would be great! I've always had that as part of my plan and it's also what has me taking my time. Wanting to feel ready or more prepared for any potential scenario.

Currently the PPL includes 5 hours of instrument work, so at the bare minimum to be comfortable with radar vectors, etc. However, I feel much more comfortable obtaining the instrument rating one day.
Old 27 May 2022, 03:14 PM   #41
kearez
"TRF" Member

Its a great additional skill set to have. There will be a day, cloud are reported VFR close
To MVFR you get up there and your in the soup.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 10:04 AM   #42
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Its a great additional skill set to have. There will be a day, cloud are reported VFR close
Been there, done that.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 10:07 AM   #43
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Been there, done that.
Right now, I am watching the Military channel. A friend of mine, F-14 driver names Terry Dietz, is giving commentary about air to air. He was in VF-51, the Screaming Eagles, and based aboard USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) same time I was. A great guy and pilot.

I am MUCH better looking of course, I wonder why they didn’t pick me to be on TV!?!?!?!?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2022, 11:13 PM   #44
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Indeed! Seeing this happen to a pilot that uploaded the content to YouTube made me look at it all differently. Things can change quickly at times.

Quote:
Right now, I am watching the Military channel. A friend of mine, F-14 driver names Terry Dietz, is giving commentary about air to air. He was in VF-51, the Screaming Eagles, and based aboard USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) same time I was. A great guy and pilot.

I am MUCH better looking of course, I wonder why they didn’t pick me to be on TV!?!?!?!?
That's pretty cool, Paul! Surely they'll have to feature you in the next one!