The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 October 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Date Question

My TT Rolex 1505 will change the date at exactly 11:45 pm .. I never noticed it before until last night when I heard the click from the date change. None of my other Rolex watches do this. They all change at 12 on the dot. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
Old 10 October 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Totally normal. They can change anywhere from 1145-1215ish.
Old 10 October 2012, 12:23 PM   #3
77T

It is possible that particular watch has some wear within the date change mechanism. You can leave it alone or have it looked at.

The gears that create tension on the spring/lever to change the date are somehow releasing the date wheel 15 minutes early. That's not really "common" on a modern Rolex - but can be acceptable in older vintage movements as they naturally age.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys! .. I guess I will leave it alone for now especially after just reading that RSC just changed a date wheel with open 6/9 to the new 6/9
Old 11 October 2012, 10:27 AM   #5
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Leave it alone, but at the next service, have it adjusted back to very close, if not exactly at, midnight.

Enjoy !
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing31 View Post
Thanks guys! .. I guess I will leave it alone for now especially after just reading that RSC just changed a date wheel with open 6/9 to the new 6/9
I seriously doubt the date wheel is the culprit - but if you are concerned about RSC shenanigans with it during service, you can always find a certified watchmaker who specializes in vintage Rolex work.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 11:42 AM   #7
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
I also own a 1505 and my watch changes the date at the same time. My watchmaker said it was normal for the 1500 series to change at that time. Don't worry and enjoy the watch. By the way, what is the design of your bezel. The bezel on my 1505 is machined 14k which is original. The bracelet is a 14k jubilee which is also original.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 01:19 PM   #8
OysterDavid
Banned

The watch movement has no idea what time it is when the date changes. All that movement knows is when the hour hand has spun around two revolutions, it sets in motion a series of springs, wheels and other movement parts that have built up tension to force the date wheel to move another notch and advance the date wheel.

The time is 'set' by the watchmaker who will spin the stem/crown clockwise until that date wheel changes. At the moment the date wheel changes (the watchperson will likely be spinning the stem slowly) that would be considered midnight. The hour hand is mounted on the pinion straight up at 12. Then the minute hand is mounted so that it appears to be an exact hour marking and finally the second hand is mounted on it's pinion. At that point the watch appears to be at the midnight point when the date wheel changes, but because of the delicate nature of the movement, even the slightest movement after that date change can mean that combined with the normal mechanical variables of springs and wheels and levers, that date could change over when the minute hand is a couple of minutes on either side of midnight.

Some watch repair people are more skilled at aligning that hour and minute hand to the exact moment of midnight, so when watch owners here brag their watch changes exactly at midnight, they're probably just lucky they had a repair person with a very light hand.

If all of this is too wierd, one can always get a non date watch and then the issue disappears.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Thanks OysterDavid! That was a very informative post. Much appreciated.
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
When you get to my mature age as long as the dates changed by morning when I wake up, and I am still alive and can see its changed thats fine for me.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Mephist
"TRF" Member

My datejust from the mid 80s is the only one of my Rolexes that changes the date at exactly 12:00 it is amazing. Both of the others with date changes about 3-6 minutes after 12:00 and these two are from year 2005 and 2012.

Old 11 October 2012, 11:19 PM   #12
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
When you get to my mature age as long as the dates changed by morning when I wake up, and I am still alive and can see its changed thats fine for me.
Old 11 October 2012, 11:21 PM   #13
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
The watch movement has no idea what time it is when the date changes. All that movement knows is when the hour hand has spun around two revolutions, it sets in motion a series of springs, wheels and other movement parts that have built up tension to force the date wheel to move another notch and advance the date wheel.

The time is 'set' by the watchmaker who will spin the stem/crown clockwise until that date wheel changes. At the moment the date wheel changes (the watchperson will likely be spinning the stem slowly) that would be considered midnight. The hour hand is mounted on the pinion straight up at 12. Then the minute hand is mounted so that it appears to be an exact hour marking and finally the second hand is mounted on it's pinion. At that point the watch appears to be at the midnight point when the date wheel changes, but because of the delicate nature of the movement, even the slightest movement after that date change can mean that combined with the normal mechanical variables of springs and wheels and levers, that date could change over when the minute hand is a couple of minutes on either side of midnight.

Some watch repair people are more skilled at aligning that hour and minute hand to the exact moment of midnight, so when watch owners here brag their watch changes exactly at midnight, they're probably just lucky they had a repair person with a very light hand.

If all of this is too wierd, one can always get a non date watch and then the issue disappears.
Thanks for the information .. I just never noticed something like this before.
Old 11 October 2012, 11:22 PM   #14
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage69 View Post
I also own a 1505 and my watch changes the date at the same time. My watchmaker said it was normal for the 1500 series to change at that time. Don't worry and enjoy the watch. By the way, what is the design of your bezel. The bezel on my 1505 is machined 14k which is original. The bracelet is a 14k jubilee which is also original.
Mine has a fluted bezel and a silver dial w/ gold stick markers .. I have a SS Air King with a fluted bezel that I think looks really good.