The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 October 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
xvfasttrip
"TRF" Member

First Rolex, some questions.

Just like to say hello and thanks to TRF for providing a resourceful forum.

Finally 2 weeks ago, I decided to pick up 116713LN as my first Rolex. It has the stuck-quick-set-date issue and TRF provide me instruction to fix it and it works!!

I used to think that Rolex are too much branding too little features, but after a few days on TRF I see the brand as an innovative leader for perfection. And that is what made me decided to add a Rolex to my collection (as a dress watch hence the TT).

I have been wearing the watch for a week now and the watch is still as accurate as a quartz with 0 second gain/loss. Perfect!

The first few complains I have for the watch are these:
1. The screw in crown, O M G; I hate this feature if the crown logo does not stands straight at the tight position. All my tag heuer and ball engineering watches have a dead on straight logo at the tight-close position. My Panerai Ferrari even have a feature that makes sure the crown logo will come on straight on the tight-close position (red dot on crown, like camera lens mounting mark).

So my first question is this: My Rolex crown is absolutely dead straight upside down . What are the consequences if I wear it daily on dry condition half a turn from full tight-close position? I will make sure to tighten it before it touch the water, but will this dry the lubrication by letting air in and out via the lose crown?

2. My second complain, TRF made me realize that even though adjusting the time would release the quick-set-date at exactly 12:00 does not mean it will do that on normal operation. 2 days ago while I was working late, I took a break to confirm this and sure enough my quick-set-date turns at 12:07. No big deal, except that Rolex in my mind, now, is suppose to be the brand that stands for perfection. Not "let's make a feature that makes it possible for the date to change within a split second just like how it is in nature, but meh who cares when it actually change".

3. TRF informed me that the TT PCL bracelet will scratch, no matter what. So first thing I did is to leave all wrapping on the bracelet and install a cognac color croco. Decided to do this myself and slip the spring loaded spring bar to the top side of the lug and wow, it scratches the case like its made of aluminum. Are Rolex cases scratch this easily?

Please do not take this the wrong way, I absolutely loves the watch; and the above complains are so minor that I would still give this watch a very high 8.5/10 personal rating. I just like to get some opinions from seasoned Rolex owner about those things, do you notice those issues at all? Are they in your mind/knowledge; doesn't it bother you? Or have you settle down to "it's hard to get it perfect and Rolex should not/does not need to strive for perfection". Even though my Ball, Panerai, JLC watches are absolutely perfect in terms of build and the execution of its more complex features.
xvfasttrip is offline   Reply With Quote