The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 October 2022, 08:28 AM   #1
panchoskywalker
"TRF" Member

What to do with this Tudor snowflake dial?

Hello,

I would like to know your opinion on this tudor dial. It is genuine but as you can see it has been restored, and the work is not perfect.
I am not sure how to feel about it. Should it be sent for a better restoration? Should I leave it like this, or should it be reprint?

tudor-dial.jpg
panchoskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 01:04 AM   #2
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Does not look good too me; goopy refinish, bottom of 'S'; I would pass.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 01:06 AM   #3
panchoskywalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
Does not look good too me; goopy refinish, bottom of 'S'; I would pass.
Thank you, but it's already mine.
Old 28 October 2022, 03:09 AM   #4
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I can’t tell if only the center text and paint was redone. How do you know it was legit once upon a time ? I don’t think it has much use unless you have a badly damaged case plus an extra movement.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 03:52 AM   #5
panchoskywalker
"TRF" Member

I know it's legit because it has the correct engraving in the back, beyeler geneve all over it.
I don't have a spare case and movement yet but I do have a handset, I hope to find a case a movement someday.
Old 28 October 2022, 10:41 AM   #6
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

quite a bit of the dial has been "repainted" - if your question is about value - then yes highly impacted.

if your question is should you have it repainted again, my sense is it won't make a much difference to value of the dial vs. in its current state.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 06:22 PM   #7
panchoskywalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
quite a bit of the dial has been "repainted" - if your question is about value - then yes highly impacted.

if your question is should you have it repainted again, my sense is it won't make a much difference to value of the dial vs. in its current state.
I agree with you about the value but would it look better if reprinted? I haven't see any example of a reprinted dial, is there a known expert for this kind of job?
Old 28 October 2022, 10:31 PM   #8
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
When I turn up the brightness on my display, I see what appears to be corrosion underneath and around the edges. Also the base layer is different thicknesses and shades, some of which is rather thick. Looks to me like somebody really did a number on this. I would not wear it as it is. Looks like a hillbilly car shot full of primer twice.

If this a genuine Tudor dial, I would think a restorer would have to start from scratch.
Old 29 October 2022, 01:49 AM   #9
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
This one has enough problems with the repair and the fonts, that it never gets better from here.

Wait out until a better dial comes around for you and then flip this one to someone needs a beater dial.

Been there - have the shirt.
Old 29 October 2022, 03:05 AM   #10
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I need a set of snowflake hands ! I have nos set with luminova. I want a tritium set that is kind of yellow/eggshell.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 03:50 AM   #11
panchoskywalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
This one has enough problems with the repair and the fonts, that it never gets better from here.

Wait out until a better dial comes around for you and then flip this one to someone needs a beater dial.

Been there - have the shirt.
Thanks for the advice but I am one trying to build a beater here. :-)
Old 29 October 2022, 03:57 AM   #12
dhknola
"TRF" Member

If you are trying to build a beater with this as the dial, perhaps get an aftermarket case of sorts. To spend money getting authentic case, bezel, handset and then lunk this dial in it, seems like good money after a bad result.
Old 29 October 2022, 04:30 AM   #13
panchoskywalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
If you are trying to build a beater with this as the dial, perhaps get an aftermarket case of sorts. To spend money getting authentic case, bezel, handset and then lunk this dial in it, seems like good money after a bad result.
That's a possible short-therm solution but on the long run I would like it to be genuine, does't matter if it takes a few years to achieve.
Old 29 October 2022, 05:06 AM   #14
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
No watch would look good with that dial in it.
A good condition dial would be around $3-4k, and you would wait a long time to find one most likely.
If that isn't part of the plan and you want to use this dial I would send it to someone who can totally refinish it for a price you are ok with.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 05:19 AM   #15
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchoskywalker View Post
That's a possible short-therm solution but on the long run I would like it to be genuine, does't matter if it takes a few years to achieve.
You may need to decide if you want a genuine watch or a working watch with that dial. If the former, you may save yourself some heartache by just getting a wholly different example. Otherwise you'll just have a parted out watch even if the components are genuine. If the latter, than getting something aftermarket is good advice.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 05:39 AM   #16
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
It’s all slightly confusing. You want a franken-beater but you want it to be genuine? The dial, perhaps the most important, and certainly most noticeable part of the watch isn’t original as it’s been poorly repainted and re-lumed, and it would be attached to a case, hands and movement, none of which was ever part of the same watch? How is any of that “genuine”?
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 05:52 AM   #17
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Not kill your dreams OP, but I would put this dial on ebay for a .99 cent starting price auction and just get rid of it. It might be 'real' but it's basically shot being poorly painted and relumed.
Good luck in whatever direction you go, but your current plans just seems misguided.