The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2019, 09:32 AM   #121
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I chose the AK over the Explorer. Wears more substantial and has that awesome dial. I guess it's a love or hate it thing for most. I did love it as a daily for a year then traded it for an Expll. Thought I'd replace it down the road but got a Milgauss. It's a great piece though and never dissapointed. I see your still thinking so Happy Choosing, both are sweet...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 09:48 AM   #122
J-rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twovalvekid View Post
Got a call today from the AD that they have an AK in stock. Guess I’ll go take a look. Have a feeling my heart may be on the Exp though.
Let us know what you think!
J-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 10:08 AM   #123
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Thanks gents! I just have to keep a level head and if I don't like it....I don't like it. Need to remember to not be worried about hurting the ADs feelings. "I just don't like it." Is a good answer.
Twovalvekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 10:14 AM   #124
escobar144
Banned

Watch: Submariner/DJ 41
I had a situation that was similar to yours. I chose between a OP39 and an Air King. I ended up getting the OP39. The dial was just too busy for me on the Air King. Idk why but every i look at the Air King it reminds me of those old harley davidson OP's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OP Harley.jpg (138.3 KB, 144 views)
escobar144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 10:22 AM   #125
nnigel46
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me do my thing
Explorer
nnigel46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 10:24 AM   #126
FreshPrince14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 & 6694
Definitely go explorer first

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
FreshPrince14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 11:37 AM   #127
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
We're all wacko, don't listen to us. Get what makes YOU happy.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 10:53 PM   #128
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
We're all wacko, don't listen to us. Get what makes YOU happy.
Hahaha. Yup. I'm going to go in, and if i look down and go "damn that looks good," I'm walking out with it.

If i don't, i think i may actually "gain" some clout with the AD. The voicemail was definitely selling it up about how long it wont be here. So i may just say, sell it to someone who really wants it. I have a feeling ill still want an explorer and this one will just sit there as another watch.
Old 22 November 2019, 11:07 PM   #129
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
go explorer 1
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 02:31 AM   #130
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Funny thing i noticed, the AK seems to be creeping up a little in value...
Old 23 November 2019, 04:21 AM   #131
Max7857
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AK EXP II SeaQ
I recently bought the Air King as my first Rolex and I love it. It fits and wears well and I can’t help staring at the dial. From the pictures I also really liked the Polar Explorer II so when I was in my AD on Monday I inquired about the Explorer and my SA said she had a black dial one in the safe I could try on. I really liked it a lot! The 42mm did not feel too big at all. It felt light and comfortable. I liked the black dial but really had the white in mind. She said would probably be the spring before a polar would be available but then if I didn’t like it I would probably have to wait on another black dial so I decided to buy the black dial.

I am glad I bought the Explorer II from the standpoint that I will not hesitate to wear it as an everyday watch without concerns of the regular scratches, wear and tear, etc. The Air King on the other hand I am just too fascinated/mesmerized with to wear everyday without abandon and will therefore become more of an occasional watch. I will definitely wear it enough to enjoy but not for home improvement projects etc. This is the only watch I have ever felt this way about and I have several other nice watches although not Rolex. Perhaps this will change after some of the newness wears off but I don't think so.

In Summary if this is your one and only watch go with the Explorer but if you have alternative watches to rotate you will not be disappointed with the Air King. Either way you can’t go wrong. Good luck with your decision.
Max7857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 04:37 AM   #132
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
They are both very similar watches - really difference in my opinion comes down to you wanting the pop of color with the Airking.
Old 23 November 2019, 05:13 AM   #133
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max7857 View Post
I recently bought the Air King as my first Rolex and I love it. It fits and wears well and I can’t help staring at the dial. From the pictures I also really liked the Polar Explorer II so when I was in my AD on Monday I inquired about the Explorer and my SA said she had a black dial one in the safe I could try on. I really liked it a lot! The 42mm did not feel too big at all. It felt light and comfortable. I liked the black dial but really had the white in mind. She said would probably be the spring before a polar would be available but then if I didn’t like it I would probably have to wait on another black dial so I decided to buy the black dial.

I am glad I bought the Explorer II from the standpoint that I will not hesitate to wear it as an everyday watch without concerns of the regular scratches, wear and tear, etc. The Air King on the other hand I am just too fascinated/mesmerized with to wear everyday without abandon and will therefore become more of an occasional watch. I will definitely wear it enough to enjoy but not for home improvement projects etc. This is the only watch I have ever felt this way about and I have several other nice watches although not Rolex. Perhaps this will change after some of the newness wears off but I don't think so.

In Summary if this is your one and only watch go with the Explorer but if you have alternative watches to rotate you will not be disappointed with the Air King. Either way you can’t go wrong. Good luck with your decision.
Good way of putting it. It isn't my one and only (have a Longines Hydroconquest and a Hamilton Field Auto). That's what strikes me about the AK is the pop of color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
They are both very similar watches - really difference in my opinion comes down to you wanting the pop of color with the Airking.
Yep, see above. It's what originally draw me to it. I think I'd be "happy" either way. I guess it's really how much the color stands out in person. And I like that the AK's I see now online in greys have kind of picked up in pricing. Something about having the "quirky" model Rolex and potential upside. But I totally understand seeing it in person. The green may look like a lot in pics, but may be underwhelming in person and be a nice touch.

The other thing is I'm flat out going to tell the AD at the end of either transaction (whether I don't like it and get an exp later) that I want a BLNR.
Old 23 November 2019, 06:23 AM   #134
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

New incoming thread when I get home! Another example of why you go look in person. The dial is MUCH less busy and much more understated than in pics. The minute numbers seem smaller than pics online I’ve seen. And with the stainless 3-6-9, those three numbers almost disappear at a distance.

Owner of the AD came in and had one on. And on his wrist it looked great and nowhere near as flashy in person. The green is also barely noticeable on the black dial and you have to really look for it.

I am officially a Rolex owner. :D

And happy.
Old 23 November 2019, 06:26 AM   #135
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And happy.
Congrats ! An excellent choice.
Old 23 November 2019, 06:41 AM   #136
Max7857
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AK EXP II SeaQ
Quote:
New incoming thread when I get home! Another example of why you go look in person. The dial is MUCH less busy and much more understated than in pics. The minute numbers seem smaller than pics online I’ve seen. And with the stainless 3-6-9, those three numbers almost disappear at a distance.

Owner of the AD came in and had one on. And on his wrist it looked great and nowhere near as flashy in person. The green is also barely noticeable on the black dial and you have to really look for it.

And happy.
Congratulations!! I think you made a wise decision. Wear it in good health.
Max7857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 06:43 AM   #137
shooter.silva
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Explorer. You will regret the airking

Why??? I have one and I love it

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
shooter.silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 01:42 PM   #138
bazin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Funny thing i noticed, the AK seems to be creeping up a little in value...
That's correct with the AK II......a couple of months ago 5-10% below MSRP..........and now MSRP to plus 10% on MSRP.....
It has moved as a wallflower to the dance floor.......
It is the only Rolex tool watch with one/double digit figures on the dial
As a true flight/instrument watch it shares the anti magnetic features (and the case) of the Milgauss without its $ 1k higher price.
The AK history starts in 1945 as a honor of Rolex to the English RAF pilots fighting in WW II.
This AK II probably will not been produced for a long time imo plus even possibly a change or production stop with Basel 2021.....
It is the only Rolex with the Rolex crown in yellow and the Rolex name and sec. pointer in green....both synonymous for the 2 Rolextrademark colours and up till now it is produced in very low/minor numbers!!!
Altogether ingredients for a valued future classic .........?

bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 01:47 PM   #139
bazin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And with the stainless 3-6-9, those three numbers almost disappear at a distance.
It is white gold...!
bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 06:51 PM   #140
TMEwatch11
Banned

Choose one that gives you the best satisfaction
TMEwatch11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 07:04 PM   #141
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Quote:
Fair points. Why im scared to walk into the AD. If they had both, I'd walk out with one.
Sounds like something Holden Caulfield would say. I started with a 114270 Explorer for the reasons you said, the simplicity and the heritage (though I don’t quite buy into that now). The AK is a cool watch. My first foray into automatic was actually a Longines albeit a 1959 15 jewel dress watch, I have a soft spot for that brand. You should go with the one that feels right on the wrist...we can’t help you there!

Sorry, I didn’t realise there were 5 pages of replies. Great choice, looks great. Congratulations!
Old 23 November 2019, 07:59 PM   #142
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
Congratulations on your purchase. I own an Air King and absolutely love it.
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 11:23 PM   #143
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
That's correct with the AK II......a couple of months ago 5-10% below MSRP..........and now MSRP to plus 10% on MSRP.....
It has moved as a wallflower to the dance floor.......
It is the only Rolex tool watch with one/double digit figures on the dial
As a true flight/instrument watch it shares the anti magnetic features (and the case) of the Milgauss without its $ 1k higher price.
The AK history starts in 1945 as a honor of Rolex to the English RAF pilots fighting in WW II.
This AK II probably will not been produced for a long time imo plus even possibly a change or production stop with Basel 2021.....
It is the only Rolex with the Rolex crown in yellow and the Rolex name and sec. pointer in green....both synonymous for the 2 Rolextrademark colours and up till now it is produced in very low/minor numbers!!!
Altogether ingredients for a valued future classic .........?

A lot of this is why I like it. And when I looked yesterday on chrono24, it didn't "help" sway me against not getting the AK. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
It is white gold...!
Whaaaat? Now I feel dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMEwatch11 View Post
Choose one that gives you the best satisfaction
Yup. Firm believer in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
Sounds like something Holden Caulfield would say. I started with a 114270 Explorer for the reasons you said, the simplicity and the heritage (though I don’t quite buy into that now). The AK is a cool watch. My first foray into automatic was actually a Longines albeit a 1959 15 jewel dress watch, I have a soft spot for that brand. You should go with the one that feels right on the wrist...we can’t help you there!

Sorry, I didn’t realise there were 5 pages of replies. Great choice, looks great. Congratulations!
Hahahahaa. It's all good! Actually the watch I had on yesterday was the Longines new 41mm Hydroconquest!
Old 24 November 2019, 12:15 AM   #144
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations. Thanks for posting the picture.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 12:42 AM   #145
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Congrats and wear it in good health, indeed we are EXTREMELY fortunate to be able to own things like this. I'd be interested in you reporting back in 6 months to let us know how you're getting on with it (or if you sold it lol).
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 12:47 AM   #146
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsin View Post
Congrats and wear it in good health, indeed we are EXTREMELY fortunate to be able to own things like this. I'd be interested in you reporting back in 6 months to let us know how you're getting on with it (or if you sold it lol).

Hahaha. Ill be keeping it. I told the AD at the end of everything when he asked what I wanted next that I wanted a BLNR and my set would be complete. He said he'd keep an eye out.