The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 January 2020, 01:39 PM   #31
AuspiciousCat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Eviperman, great comments. I got the new Resonance confirmation from Geneva yesterday - new Resonance is 135,000 CHF! After calling every Journe boutique, I got one to sell me the 24hr 2019 edition who a buyer decided to go with a Tourbillon watch. Paying MSRP and feel that perhaps I am overpaying since these tend to come down in prices. But, the watch found me and I found it. It is the platinum version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on the new Resonance, it’s an amazing watch!
Sometimes with FPJs, the watch does find you.
AuspiciousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 05:50 PM   #32
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuspiciousCat View Post
Congrats on the new Resonance, it’s an amazing watch!

Sometimes with FPJs, the watch does find you.

Thanks, friend. Do you have one? It was a very scary purchase for me. A good buddy of mine told me that he would not have done it since the company is volatile. It could go out of business. Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. He kept mentioned that is why Chanel stepped in. That conversation was kind of scary.

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:49 PM   #33
SROB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, friend. Do you have one? It was a very scary purchase for me. A good buddy of mine told me that he would not have done it since the company is volatile. It could go out of business. Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. He kept mentioned that is why Chanel stepped in. That conversation was kind of scary.

My opinion, you're safe. FPJ has reached a point it won't shutter up, even after he passes... he has enough valuable models... worst case, it's owned entirely by PE and ran by their appointees. Whereas, L. Ferrier rumors have kept me from making that jump.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 11:10 PM   #34
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
… A good buddy of mine told me that he would not have done it since the company is volatile. It could go out of business. Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. He kept mentioned that is why Chanel stepped in. That conversation was kind of scary.
Your friend is talking out of his rear end!
Chanel saw an opportunity due to how FPJ has been on a rise, even if mostly down to the CB.
These prices hikes are an indication of where FP sees his brand in the market – I don't see that he’s at GF level, but we’ll see who’s right on that one.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 11:14 PM   #35
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Your friend couldn't be more wrong.

FPJ's future is assured. Chanel is privately owned and the owner is a personal friend of Mr. Journe. FPJ has always had, from the very beginning several private investors, all of whom are friends of Mr. Journe, collectors of his watches, and committed to his vision. It simply protects the independence of the brand and Mr. Journe's independence to make as he wishes.

LF, De Bethune, Lang and Heyne, Ochs und Junior, these are all facing very uncertain futures.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 11:27 PM   #36
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Your friend couldn't be more wrong.

FPJ's future is assured. Chanel is privately owned and the owner is a personal friend of Mr. Journe. FPJ has always had, from the very beginning several private investors, all of whom are friends of Mr. Journe, collectors of his watches, and committed to his vision. It simply protects the independence of the brand and Mr. Journe's independence to make as he wishes.

LF, De Bethune, Lang and Heyne, Ochs und Junior, these are all facing very uncertain futures.
+1.

It's a shame about such an innovative company like DeBethune, hopefully they can turn it around.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 11:48 PM   #37
SROB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
+1.

It's a shame about such an innovative company like DeBethune, hopefully they can turn it around.
Is Gronefeld in the camp of curious future?

SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 12:02 AM   #38
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROB View Post
Is Gronefeld in the camp of curious future?

Immediately...no. They have a healthy, growing following. The distant future is a bit murky. They have family history in watchmaking (particularly church clocks), but I don't think I've heard of either brother having children to pass the knowledge/company down to (I could be wrong). Although both are young and have many years ahead of them, the future of the company beyond them is uncertain.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 03:10 AM   #39
AuspiciousCat
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes I have a CS. In a way, this watch found me also. I walked into a boutique not knowing anything about Journes except the CB. Of course they didn’t have it, but they had a few CS variants. In the end I ordered the PT CS with white dial and blue hands.
Old 11 January 2020, 04:41 AM   #40
Cozmopak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The argument being that because the company is volatile it may be harder to service in the future, or because the price may drop? Future price considerations shouldn’t be part of the decision making process, and if they are, you probably stretched yourself too thin. These are objects of pleasure, not investments.
Cozmopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 07:49 AM   #41
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Eviperman, great comments. I got the new Resonance confirmation from Geneva yesterday - new Resonance is 135,000 CHF! After calling every Journe boutique, I got one to sell me the 24hr 2019 edition who a buyer decided to go with a Tourbillon watch. Paying MSRP and feel that perhaps I am overpaying since these tend to come down in prices. But, the watch found me and I found it. It is the platinum version.

Congrats, it's an amazing watch and you'll love it! Please post a photo when you receive yours :)

It's a one year model run, and it will be a very rare piece moving forward... The vast majority of 2019 Resonance pieces would have sold at MSRP since FPJ boutiques don't provide discounts etc, so the price you paid is the same as most others so don't let MSRP bother you!

As for the new Resonance, the price isn't surprising given the new advancements on it. The 2019 version is great, the movement will blow you away!
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 03:43 PM   #42
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviperman View Post
Congrats, it's an amazing watch and you'll love it! Please post a photo when you receive yours :)

It's a one year model run, and it will be a very rare piece moving forward... The vast majority of 2019 Resonance pieces would have sold at MSRP since FPJ boutiques don't provide discounts etc, so the price you paid is the same as most others so don't let MSRP bother you!

As for the new Resonance, the price isn't surprising given the new advancements on it. The 2019 version is great, the movement will blow you away!

Thanks all for the comments and the point of views. This piece has really changed my entire perspective of my collection. Did a lot of clean up. ; ) my love of watches and my jump into this brand is unique because I am believing in the company in a big way, his vision, and just absolutely love the art and the science behind the Resonance. Just outrageous concept. It is the first watch that while I worry of value retention, I am all in as a lifer on it. Note that this is not an investment for me but I always conscious of value.

I will be moving to Geneva this summer. Yes, so lucky, and this will be the watch to meet me there. The boutique where I purchased will resend it to Geneva and my sales guy will present it to me there. He mentioned he will also take me to the factory to meet my particular watch maker. I promise to put pictures of the experience.

It is going to be 5 long months!

Thanks Eviperman for comments! I can’t wait to feel and see that movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11 January 2020, 03:48 PM   #43
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmopak View Post
The argument being that because the company is volatile it may be harder to service in the future, or because the price may drop? Future price considerations shouldn’t be part of the decision making process, and if they are, you probably stretched yourself too thin. These are objects of pleasure, not investments.

Great points and good question. This is by far my biggest purchase and made me review my current collection. I did worry about about both service and price drop. I could not agree with you more than these are objects of pleasure and admiration first. I am buying into the vision, the Journe community, support of watchmaking, and this kick ass piece.

Old 11 January 2020, 03:51 PM   #44
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

New FP Journe 2020 Resonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuspiciousCat View Post
Yes I have a CS. In a way, this watch found me also. I walked into a boutique not knowing anything about Journes except the CB. Of course they didn’t have it, but they had a few CS variants. In the end I ordered the PT CS with white dial and blue hands.

YES! Wow! I love this story! Would love to see a pic of that order. Are you part of this Journe community? I hear little on it online sites but catch phrases on online videos.

Old 12 January 2020, 12:15 AM   #45
Cozmopak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great points and good question. This is by far my biggest purchase and made me review my current collection. I did worry about about both service and price drop. I could not agree with you more than these are objects of pleasure and admiration first. I am buying into the vision, the Journe community, support of watchmaking, and this kick ass piece.

I know, it’s difficult not to at least consider future values at these prices, even for those who can afford them. This is a piece that most likely will never leave your collection. Congrats.
Cozmopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 02:15 AM   #46
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmopak View Post
I know, it’s difficult not to at least consider future values at these prices, even for those who can afford them. This is a piece that most likely will never leave your collection. Congrats.

Totally agree, residual value is important to some degree for all of us. But sometimes you ignore that because you want THAT watch and you want it new direct from the AD/Boutique.

Congrats to the OP.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 02:17 AM   #47
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

OP, congrats.

The Resonance is THE Journe, and you have picked up a piece that is relatively scarce in the entire Resonance line up. Most importantly it’s the watch YOU wanted.

Just be careful, it’s a slippery slope. You pick up the watch, you go to the Manufacture and I bet you’ll already be scheming on Journe #2.

Old 21 January 2020, 06:48 AM   #48
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
OP, congrats.

The Resonance is THE Journe, and you have picked up a piece that is relatively scarce in the entire Resonance line up. Most importantly it’s the watch YOU wanted.

Just be careful, it’s a slippery slope. You pick up the watch, you go to the Manufacture and I bet you’ll already be scheming on Journe #2.

Oh man, it already started. Working to see how to get the CB. I would think it matters that I purchased the Resonance, right?

Old 21 January 2020, 08:06 AM   #49
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Oh man, it already started. Working to see how to get the CB. I would think it matters that I purchased the Resonance, right?

It should matter, but I have no idea how much it’ll matter. Good luck, push them hard for an allocation.
Old 24 January 2020, 03:46 AM   #50
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
It should matter, but I have no idea how much it’ll matter. Good luck, push them hard for an allocation.

Holy sh$t! @Jay, I got the allocation for the CB! I can’t believe it. ... and this is why I love reading these forums. Thanks for your tip. I politely pressed on the CB and made my interest as a collector known. Done. It will wait for me in Geneva end of summer. Daydreaming until then.

Thanks again Jay!

Old 24 January 2020, 03:47 AM   #51
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Oh, a superb read on the new WatchTime mag. Check it out.

Old 24 January 2020, 07:06 AM   #52
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
This is very exciting news and I am looking forward to this new release!
Old 24 January 2020, 02:37 PM   #53
AuspiciousCat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Holy sh$t! @Jay, I got the allocation for the CB! I can’t believe it. ... and this is why I love reading these forums. Thanks for your tip. I politely pressed on the CB and made my interest as a collector known. Done. It will wait for me in Geneva end of summer. Daydreaming until then.

Thanks again Jay!

Big Congrats!
I’ve been waiting since early last year! Maybe I should push my boutique a bit more.
Old 25 January 2020, 12:41 AM   #54
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

I would highly recommend it. : ) I was very polite but consistent. Best of luck.

Old 25 January 2020, 12:47 AM   #55
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:

Inspired post. I am getting my first FPJ today, and I feel much the same. Lucky for me mine was in the 40K range as opposed to the 6 figure range, but I feel it is every bit as special. I waited a long time to get my FPJ, and pick the perfect one for me. I am super excited. I will post a thread and some pics later. Can't wait to see yours!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:35 AM   #56
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Inspired post. I am getting my first FPJ today, and I feel much the same. Lucky for me mine was in the 40K range as opposed to the 6 figure range, but I feel it is every bit as special. I waited a long time to get my FPJ, and pick the perfect one for me. I am super excited. I will post a thread and some pics later. Can't wait to see yours!

@Swaye, congratulations on your acquisition! Which model and why? Good for you. Looking forward to your story.

Old 25 January 2020, 04:36 AM   #57
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
@Swaye, congratulations on your acquisition! Which model and why? Good for you. Looking forward to your story.

I just made a thread on it.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:03 PM   #58
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks again Jay!

I guess you never know unless you ask! That’s an unexpected outcome in terms of timing for sure. Many congratulations, the CB is without doubt my favourite watch (although I know others may not be quite as enthusiastic).