The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 August 2017, 01:10 PM   #1
cnjackson
"TRF" Member

27 years ago I turned down my grandfather's rolexes...

I'm writing because I hope the forum can help me identify a watch.

My paternal grandfather served as a torpedo-bomber pilot in WW II (in the Pacific) before going to become a captain in the postwar years. He'd graduated from Annapolis in 1938.

He died of cancer in January 1990, when I was in my senior year of high school. I remember that the months afterwards were complicated--with my grandmother and father grieving in their understated, New England-stock ways.

At some point, I think it was the summer of 1990, my grandmother asked me if I would like to have my grandfather's two old Rolexes. She didn't make this offer in the language of passing on an heirloom: it really was a question. She showed the watches to me in the living room of her house. The crystals were pretty scratched up, I recall. I was 18 at the time. I thanked her, and said something to the effect of--"they're not really for me." And the watches were sold and dropped out of our family for good.

That moment has come back to me many times over the years--always with a feeling of regret and sadness. Looking back, I know that at the time I knew nothing real about Rolexes. And as for turning down what was palpably a pair of heirlooms (though they were not presented to me as such), I can only guess that this had something to do with my relationships with my grandmother, father, and memory of my grandfather at that time. In truth, I don't know why I didn't accept them. (And it's an entirely different question why my grandmother did not offer them to my father...)

In any case, as my affection for watches has grown in recent years, my regret at turning down these watches has only grown more acute--because of what they were, and more because they had been my grandfather's.

Here is where I hope you might be able to help. I am trying to piece together what models those watches might have been. I don't have much to go on, but maybe these details will add up to something.

My father believes that the watches may have been issued to my grandfather in the early 1950s. (At that time, he was a Navy test pilot--maybe stationed in Pensacola, FL.?--I believe he was testing out the first steam-driven carrier catapults.) Did the US Navy issue Rolexes at that time? If so, what models might they have been?

In my mind's eye, the watches had oyster cases--maybe they were something like an Oyster Perpetual at 34mm or so? I'm just not sure.

If you have any leads or suggestions for where I might look further, I'll be very grateful for your help. (I have a small fantasy of maybe finding a twin of one of these watches--for my father, and maybe for myself.)

Thanks so much.
cnjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 01:29 PM   #2
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Wow what a story and don't beat yourself up for what you said...you were only 18 yrs old, most people at that age don't understand the pedigree or are even into watch for that matter.

Do you have any photos of your grandfather wearing the Rolex's, maybe we can ID them from a zoomed in shot. Either way, I wish you much luck in your search!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 02:32 PM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
That's quite the story! I can understand why you would feel this way now (of course) but you shouldn't beat yourself up for it as you were very young.

Regarding the models I've got no clue but just wanted to comment on the story. I'm sure as others chime in it'll provide the insight needed to figure this out.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 02:44 PM   #4
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
That is quite a story and I totally get your quest. I like the idea of trying to identify the watches through old photos. Best of luck, I have a good feeling with perseverance you'll figure it all out.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 02:53 PM   #5
Beelzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Wow! Why couldn't it have been me? I knew the pedigree of the brand at 15. Lol
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 03:18 PM   #6
PeteS
"TRF" Member

Nice story!
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 03:53 PM   #7
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
In the early 50s there are far fewer models in the Rolex line up, if you can recall the colour of the dial, then your search should narrow.
Photos of your grandfather wearing his watches can help, but since he's an airman I suggest looking through period photos of his air wing, other members may spot a similar model.
Old 15 August 2017, 03:58 PM   #8
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Wow! Why couldn't it have been me? I knew the pedigree of the brand at 15. Lol
Maybe At 15 you Knew the pedigree but today you seem to be lacking some sensitivity.

To the OP, to me the biggest clue would be that your dad thinks your grandfather was issued the watches by the navy in the 1950s.

That would be where I'd put my focus. Also if you have some memory of the watch cases, just start googling 1950s Rolex models. Once you have a small handful of possibilities it might become a little easier to narrow it down.

Good luck to you!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 06:24 PM   #9
rolex aficionado
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16018-16610-116520
Don't beat yourself up! I would've done the same, I kept telling no to my father when he gifted me his PM Datejust knowing how much it meant to him and loving to see it on his wrist like i always did back then, but he insisted to do so and now it is the only thing left of him...
Photos would be the best way to start your search, old albums or maybe original boxes? if you can know the store who bought it at that time you might get some clues?
In any case don't worry about it to much, sometimes its better to make new memories and new heirloom than living in the past ...
rolex aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 07:37 PM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Maybe At 15 you Knew the pedigree but today you seem to be lacking some sensitivity.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 09:29 PM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollee1 View Post
In the early 50s there are far fewer models in the Rolex line up, if you can recall the colour of the dial, then your search should narrow.
when did RWC stop selling movements to jewellers to put into locally made cases though?

Afaik back Then they weren't the vertically-integrated behemoth they are today. There's a lot of odd models made between the WWs and many undocumented.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 10:05 PM   #12
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

What a first post! Great story and I can totally understand how you feel. Best of luck finding them!
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 10:29 PM   #13
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Great story, sorry about your regret. As others have posted try to find some old pics, people here are pretty good watch detectives.
Please keep us up to date on your search.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 10:39 PM   #14
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Very cool story and what an awesome chance to turn the adventure into a wonderful memory of your grandfather.

I would not think that there could be that many possibilities if your dad was rather sure they were issued to him by the navy in the 50's. This is pre-MilSub, right? So I would say searching photos and zooming then bringing pictures here would be the best bet.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 11:34 PM   #15
Corsair66
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
As a pilot with a particular interest in WWII aviation and the immediate post-war years, I was especially moved by your story. Whether any of us would've recognized those watches for what they were at 18 or accepted them given our own family histories is irrelevant.

If you don't already have access to your grandfather's detailed military history (including all dates, postings, etc.), you should begin by requesting that information from the National Archives. With that in hand, you'll have a much better starting point from which to begin tracing the watches he may have been issued.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Corsair66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 12:09 AM   #16
OpusXIII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, Hulk, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjackson View Post
My father believes that the watches may have been issued to my grandfather in the early 1950s. (At that time, he was a Navy test pilot--maybe stationed in Pensacola, FL.?--I believe he was testing out the first steam-driven carrier catapults.) Did the US Navy issue Rolexes at that time? If so, what models might they have been?
Might be a place to start:

>>>>The Oyster Perpetual GMT Master, part of the professional collection from Rolex, was designed in collaboration with Pan American Airways. The model was launched in 1954 and was for pilots and navigators for long-haul flights. The watch features a 24-hour display and 12-hour hand allowing crews to set the watch to GMT, or another time zone, while the bezel would be rotated to correct the offset of a second time zone.>>>>

Good luck in your search.
Old 16 August 2017, 01:40 AM   #17
cnjackson
"TRF" Member

Oh my goodness--thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I'll reach out to my father to see about pictures he may have. I'm actually surprised I didn't think of that myself. If I find any, I'll post them here.

And thank you, Corsair66 for the suggestion about requesting information from the National Archives: I will certainly try that.

Thanks again, everyone. I'll post here again when I know more.
Old 16 August 2017, 04:26 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd post in the Vintage section as well, guys there will really be able to help you.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 04:33 AM   #19
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Do a Google search for "1950 Rolex Military" and see if any of those jog your memory at all.
Old 16 August 2017, 04:38 AM   #20
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Definitely a moving story. Best of luck trying to identify these models, I'm sure your dad and you will be delighted once you have identified the pair of watches.
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 04:59 AM   #21
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjackson View Post
If he was doing that, then I'd bet he was stationed at Patuxent, Maryland, as that's where the famous British Naval Test Pilot, Eric 'Winkle' Brown spent 2 years on exchange, and it was during this time in January 1952, that Brown first demonstrated the steam catapult to the USN, by flying a USN Panther jet off of HMS Perseus which was docked in the Philadelphia Naval Yard. The launch was successful, and the USN set to work immediately designing their own steam-catapult systems to fit to their carriers. Your grandfather may well have worked with Eric Brown.
Eric Brown passed away only last year, aged 97, and he still holds the record for the greatest number of different aircraft types flown by one person, some 487 types

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 05:03 AM   #22
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd post in the Vintage section as well, guys there will really be able to help you.
/\ This /\

Old 16 August 2017, 05:05 AM   #23
cnjackson
"TRF" Member

I tried to write a response earlier today, but I don't think it went through--or maybe my first posts need to be vetted by a mod? Not sure.

In any case, thank you for all of your kind responses. And for all of the great leads. I've already asked my father to look into any pictures he may have of his father to see if there are any images of him wearing a watch.

Corsair66--thank you for the suggestion about looking into the National Archives. I will certainly do that.

And GeeRam, thank you for the lead on Eric Brown. I'll definitely look into that, too.

And thanks, AK797--that's a good idea to post this in the vintage forum. I'll do that. Mods--if that is not ok, please let me know what I should do!

Thanks again, everyone: I will post here again when I have learned something more!
Old 16 August 2017, 08:20 AM   #24
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Moved to Vintage.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 09:17 AM   #25
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Thank you for sharing your story.

In my case, I don't know what happened to my grandfather's watch. It wasn't expensive, I think it was a Citizen but it was his. I miss him but he lives in my heart.
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote