The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 August 2017, 11:36 PM   #1
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234
Numbers of quartz watches produced?

I read on differecent articels about the Numbers produced if Rolex quartz watches between 25.000 and 100.000

Who knows where these numbers are coming from??? I assume not ftom Rolex.

Also intresting should know what the difference in nummers is between the 17.000 models and the 19018/9 models.

I read in a post on an Asian forum that there are only around 5.000 19018/9 where produced???

Who has more information....
robbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 11:38 PM   #2
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the grammatical mistakes was typing to fast.
Old 19 August 2017, 12:36 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex doesnt release those numbers so im not sure where the numbers came from. I would assume the 17000 stainless case had the highest production numbers and those models with precious metal cases had the lowest.
Old 19 August 2017, 01:26 AM   #4
V10K
"TRF" Member

Less than 25,000 OysterQuartz were produced and even less were certified by COSC. Final year of production had only 577 certified on record (I have one). No year had more than 1000 certified from 1977-2001. Rolex would not sell it without COSC certification after 1979.

Rolex manufactured 100,000 movements but have saved them for spare parts.

Personally, I think the Oyster Quartz is the ultimate watch/movement Rolex has ever produced. I don't know why they are not more highly sought out after. Combines the best of mechanical and electronic in one device. You don't need to worry about time being inaccurate and you don't need to constantly being setting the time. Plus, the bracelet is better looking and more comfortable. The 17000 and 17013 are timeless masterpieces.
V10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:19 AM   #5
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Below a part copyed from the article of watchtime.com of 27 april 2017.

The CMOS integrated circuit Rolex needed was supplied by Ébauches Électroniques Marin, while the anchor-type motor was purchased from FAR (Fabriques d’Assortiments Réunies). Silver oxide batteries were available from the Swiss Renata company as well as from American and German suppliers. Total production of the Caliber 5035/5055 is exactly known: 105,097 – not terribly much considering that the product life was 26 years! Each and every one of them was certified by COSC as an electronic chronometer.
Old 20 August 2017, 04:00 AM   #6
V10K
"TRF" Member

Rob: I could be wrong but everywhere I have seen there were less than 25,000 SOLD by Rolex. That number seems accurate to me but I am not in the watch business. I am judging based on how many OysterQuartz are available for sale at any given time. Also, the truly desirable OQ are the ones with the Roman dials which are extremely rare. The stick dials are a bit antiquated but are easily found. I had such a hard time finding my white romans at a reasonable price.

I have read in a few articles that 100,000 calibers were produced. In some of the forum archives I read that they were spare parts. I know I was worried about getting one of these in case they didn't have parts available. From what I understood, the remaining 75k movements were saved for parts. Rolex was not too keen on marketing this product and didn't want it to hurt sales of their automatics so they intentionally limited yearly production. Dealers would not be keen to sell these wouldn't make a sizable profit.

The thing that gets me is why people don't appreciate the OQ like they appreciate subs, daytonas, etc. Maybe its a status conscience thing and I am not concerned about what other people think of me. Also, I don't like to be a conformist and follow the pack. It seems everyone loves automatic movements. I had an automatic chrono from JLC and it was a pain for my lifestyle even though I loved the watch dearly. Also, the bigger issue to me is that the normal Rolex bracelets come off as gaudy and too intricate which looks to showy to me. I like the flatness of both OQ bracelets: the oyster bracelet and jubilee. They are extremely comfortable and tasteful IMHO.
V10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 05:18 AM   #7
robbrum
"TRF" Member

I have no idea where the 25.000 is coming from??

I bought one year ago a 19018 and i like it. I use it only in the weekends and the advantage is that it is always keeping day and date.

And when you send it or go to a RSC the battery change is for your lifetime free of charge.
Old 27 August 2017, 05:39 AM   #8
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I have heard and read similar production figures for the OQs. I have three; 17013 18 k and ss, then a 17014 wg bezel and ss finally a 19019. When I purchased the 17013 it had water damage. RWSC Dallas did a beautiful job rebuilding it. The 17014 has the original black dial, and the 19019 has the original silver dial. But nobody will ever know the production figures. I go along with the 17000 and the 17013 being most common followed by the 17014, last are the day-dates in yg or wg. More 18 k yg were produced, more popular, with the wg fewest in number.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 02:50 PM   #9
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Rolex production numbers are hard to judge. I tired to follow the 1530s (claimed to be only 500 total produced - though I would guess more like 2,000) and the number of listing that I noticed in that one year did not match 500 total productions. So, knowing that production of quarts watches spanned at least 25 years, I would say 25K to 50K is about right.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 03:39 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrum View Post
I have no idea where the 25.000 is coming from??

I bought one year ago a 19018 and i like it. I use it only in the weekends and the advantage is that it is always keeping day and date.

And when you send it or go to a RSC the battery change is for your lifetime free of charge.
Some Rolex Service Centres around the world no longer change the battery for free, sadly.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 04:58 PM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Nooby Q: are the serial #s of OQ mixed in amogst the usual Oyster #s?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 08:29 AM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Nooby Q: are the serial #s of OQ mixed in amogst the usual Oyster #s?
Yes
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 01:26 AM   #13
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Well we will always have educated guesses. I own three OQs: 17013, 17014 and 19019. While I admit it would be interesting to know, I'm not hung up on the question, as the answers lie with Montres Rolex, and we know they are not about to tell.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote