The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2015, 01:54 PM   #31
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
There's no such thing as a 2003 serial, officially. All the online serial number lists for watches made after 1972 (when caseback date stamping ended) are based on papers bearing the date of sale, not Rolex manufacturing records.
I thought the whole relevance of the dated papers vs serials were different, as there are LV's with higher F serials than mine that where sold with papers dated in 2003. for instance, the ad that had my watch obviously had it for a bit before they were able to sell it, which would explain the later dated papers.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2015, 02:04 PM   #32
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
I thought the whole relevance of the dated papers vs serials were different, as there are LV's with higher F serials than mine that where sold with papers dated in 2003. for instance, the ad that had my watch obviously had it for a bit before they were able to sell it, which would explain the later dated papers.
Yes, which is why the serial charts are not completely reliable. Papers are still the only reference used for dating a watch....there are no other reference materials, as Rolex doesn't provide or confirm production dates.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2015, 02:11 PM   #33
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhfong View Post
Why is this a sad thread? A member asked a valid question and he was provided with valid answers. No one is trolling or calling names here.
I agree. The comment was unnecessary.
Old 28 February 2015, 02:12 PM   #34
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

I learned a lot from this thread
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2015, 02:28 PM   #35
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, which is why the serial charts are not completely reliable. Papers are still the only reference used for dating a watch....there are no other reference materials, as Rolex doesn't provide or confirm production dates.
When you say "papers are still the only reference used for dating a watch" I assume You meant, Dated papers are used by rolex for warranty purposes, as Rolex wants to know Date of sale so they know when the warranty ends. Not for dating a watch.

The serial numbers are the only reference that give collectors a basic idea of production dates. Obviously unconfirmed by rolex as you said, but these watches have serial numbers for a reason... It's pretty much a pattern with how the serial numbers work. The pattern has been consistent for years. Which is why collectors are confident with ballpark production dates.
Old 28 February 2015, 03:08 PM   #36
Old Expat Beast

Ballpark is the keyword there. Dated papers are the only absolute proof that a watch was made before a certain date. The reference charts refer to sales dates only. Case stamp dates are known only to rolex. See the serial numbers project at VRF to see how serial numbers can go up and down over a year or two.
Old 28 February 2015, 03:19 PM   #37
Old Expat Beast

"When you say "papers are still the only reference used for dating a watch" I assume You meant, Dated papers are used by rolex for warranty purposes, as Rolex wants to know Date of sale so they know when the warranty ends. Not for dating a watch."

No I meant collectors or buyers not Rolex.
Old 28 February 2015, 09:18 PM   #38
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcars View Post
What a sad thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcars View Post
It's just horribly boring debating over utterly trivial details.
If you don't like a topic, move on to the next one. No need to be rude.
Old 28 February 2015, 10:13 PM   #39
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
My Sub is currently in for service. I took it to the Rolex St James Square HQ in London. I was surprised when I was told that the date of final assembly of the watch was recorded against it's serial number. I was told the exact date my watch was finally assembled. Obviously the different parts could have been sitting around for months or years. When I collect my Sub I intend to take a list of my other watch's serial numbers with me to get their final assembly dates so that I will know these as well as their sale dates.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2015, 10:15 PM   #40
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Yes dated 2004, but watch is early F serial 02xxxxx which is a 2003 serial. Store must of sat on it awhile but it has flat four mk1 dial 5tick etc.
thank you. if I was a collector I would be looking for a y serial which was sold in 2003.
Old 28 February 2015, 10:53 PM   #41
Blingtone
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV no Rehault
Interesting post, especially regarding the bezels etc. Mine is a July 'Z', no rehault, pointed 4 - but the lighter shade of green insert (as per left of pic). At the time (no pun intended) I had the choice of this or 2 'M' models both with the darker green insert, 1 with rehault Nov, 1 without Oct all BNIB. I preferred the lighter shade / no rehault combo which decided it for me, however, quite a bit of variation, between just 3 examples within a 5 month period.
Blingtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2015, 10:55 PM   #42
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
My Sub is currently in for service. I took it to the Rolex St James Square HQ in London. I was surprised when I was told that the date of final assembly of the watch was recorded against it's serial number. I was told the exact date my watch was finally assembled. Obviously the different parts could have been sitting around for months or years. When I collect my Sub I intend to take a list of my other watch's serial numbers with me to get their final assembly dates so that I will know these as well as their sale dates.
So rolex has confirmed your exact production date from the serial? Can you tell me which letter and first two numbers of serial your watch is? if the date given to you by rolex is far off from collectors speculation? This would be very valuable to us, just to see how close or far off our estimations for production dates are.
Old 28 February 2015, 10:56 PM   #43
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"When you say "papers are still the only reference used for dating a watch" I assume You meant, Dated papers are used by rolex for warranty purposes, as Rolex wants to know Date of sale so they know when the warranty ends. Not for dating a watch."

No I meant collectors or buyers not Rolex.
Gotchya
Old 1 March 2015, 03:43 AM   #44
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
So rolex has confirmed your exact production date from the serial? Can you tell me which letter and first two numbers of serial your watch is? if the date given to you by rolex is far off from collectors speculation? This would be very valuable to us, just to see how close or far off our estimations for production dates are.
My Sub has a V53…. serial number.

The "Watch manufacture date" on the receipt is 14.08.2009.

Obviously I bought it a short time after this.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2015, 04:09 PM   #45
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
My Sub has a V53…. serial number.

The "Watch manufacture date" on the receipt is 14.08.2009.

Obviously I bought it a short time after this.
If this info came directly from rolex, Then it seems we are all right on track with our estimated production dates.
Old 1 March 2015, 08:21 PM   #46
havingagoodtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 16570
How could one not be interested in the topic? Knowledge is power and I want to know everything there is to know. This is a hobby that I enjoy, after all. It's the minor details that sets it all apart. That's the fun!

Is there a user database or google spreadsheet that definitively uses serial numbers and warranty cards to confirm production dates?
havingagoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2015, 03:19 AM   #47
shou.biao.kuang
"TRF" Member

Watch: means shou biao
Icon7 Imho...

Hi Folks,

Happens to chance upon this few months old thread and decided to chip in a little here. Hope this helps the OP.

Quote:
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some solid info on this subject. Just how much is a first year production anniversary submariner 16610LV worth, all original, un polished, flat 4 insert complete with all tags, box, papers, books, anchor, even the green tissue that the box was wrapped in?

Some ask for 10k some for 9k. What is the true value? I would assume more than the later serial numbers...

I see later serials in the 6,800 to 7k range on an average. incomplete maybe 6,400.

I know Y serial is the first small batch of 16610lv's but right after followed the F serial. The watch in question is F02xxxx serial and I read that watches up to 'F' serial F068XXX are still considered to be within the true anniversary time frame.. Can anyone comment?

Do collectors really consider this to be a big deal?
thanks all for your input.
There seems to be a wider range of F-serials with papers dated 2003 than first thought. If I am not mistaken, there are TRFers who purportedly own pieces up to F1xx with papers dated 2003. I will have to dig up my "research papers" to confirm this at a later post.

Does it matter to the collectors? Seems so that most would prefer the Y-serials pieces even though some Y-serials have papers dated in 2004. Maybe I will be bold as to state their desirability in a later post

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has any solid info on the matter as ebay are full of watches that have high asking prices and not selling.

I guess I am more concerned about the serial range for the so called "true anniversary" sub
Some "hard core" folks/collectors/fans have insisted that only the Y-serial pieces are the true 50th anniversary pieces and hence the prices of the Y-serial seem to command more than the F-serial pieces, assuming the papers are dated 2003.
shou.biao.kuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 06:22 AM   #48
FunkyD
"TRF" Member

Hi sorry to revitalise an old thread

I've got a F-serial LV with Oct 2003 papers stamped what's the value at current prices?

as I may look to sell it on at some point or swap for a Deepsea, Daytona or GMT

Thanks
FunkyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 06:25 AM   #49
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyD View Post
Hi sorry to revitalise an old thread

I've got a F-serial LV with Oct 2003 papers stamped what's the value at current prices?

as I may look to sell it on at some point or swap for a Deepsea, Daytona or GMT

Thanks

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=263244
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 06:33 AM   #50
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhfong View Post
I have a BNIB F serial - mark 1, fat four, 5 ticks, etc with paper dated from Nov 2003. I have been quoted in the range of $8000 to $9700. As others have said, it all depends on how much the buyer is wiling to spend.
Double that !.

I just realised this post is old and things have really shot up since 2015
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 12:17 AM   #51
Mikel212
"TRF" Member

FYI,

Its been awhile since I've read about Kermit.

I have an F021XXX with paper dated Dec 25, 2003 (or something close to Chrismas of 2003). Depends on how the market wants to date the watch. If you go by serial, its a 2003 production. If you go by paper, its one of last 50th anniversary sold. I would love to think it was the very last one sold.
Mikel212 is offline   Reply With Quote