The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 November 2015, 01:06 AM   #1
whatches
"TRF" Member

Solution to corroded/non-matching hands?

Afternoon all,

As I further educate myself on the matter, I would like to ask what you personally do if you have found a perfect watch, with hands that you don't like, or don't match?
Perhaps if the corrosion becomes too strong with due time?

I have seen corrosion that looks nice and acceptable, but I have also found some that would irritate me as they take most of the focus off the rest of the watch, at least to me.

How simple is it to find matching hands for a vintage piece with similar looking Patina?
Are there any other solutions?
I am aware that NOS is not a solution as they will not match one bit.

Have a wonderful Sunday.
whatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2015, 01:20 AM   #2
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Not easy or inexpensive to find a matching pair, but possible, with the patience and funding available. If you're not happy with it, find another one - that's the best 'solution'. Or live with it - very few vintage pieces are 'perfect' or blemish/issue-free. Depending how bad it is, (why not post a photo, if you're considering one?), I'd accept them and be happy they are original to the watch.
Old 30 November 2015, 09:37 AM   #3
whatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Not easy or inexpensive to find a matching pair, but possible, with the patience and funding available. If you're not happy with it, find another one - that's the best 'solution'. Or live with it - very few vintage pieces are 'perfect' or blemish/issue-free. Depending how bad it is, (why not post a photo, if you're considering one?), I'd accept them and be happy they are original to the watch.
In fact I have yet to purchase or find one that has grabbed my attention.
I am simply educating myself on the matter, and gathering as much information as I can from guys like yourself.
I have noticed that most hands have some sort of corrosion.
It is not an issue, but I was wondering what were to happen if the corrosion kept worsening to a point where it took too much of the beauty away.

How exactly does one go about searching for hands that will match his indices/markers in any case?
Is it an option to purchase a NOS set and have them re-lumed?
I have come across some posts suggesting watch makers able to match the hands.
Replaced hands would not bother many if any body, as long as nothing serious is being changed in the watch.

Feel free to correct me, to add any information.
I am simply stating my information based on speculations and reading other posts.

Cheers for your insight.
Old 30 November 2015, 10:05 AM   #4
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
With all the variations in cameras, lighting and monitors, you'll never know if the color is close until you have then in hand.

That means buying many hand sets to get the "right" one. That will take a while and cost some money so weigh that when considering a watch. Conversely, if it is a stunning specimen otherwise, it may be worth the effort. They aren't making any more of them so it can be worth the effort to make them as correct as possible.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Another option is to have the hands removed, cleaned up and color matched. It's not ideal, of course, but I've seen some pretty nice results. If the hands are the only thing wrong with an otherwise killer watch, it may be worth thinking about.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2015, 11:55 PM   #6
whatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
With all the variations in cameras, lighting and monitors, you'll never know if the color is close until you have then in hand.

That means buying many hand sets to get the "right" one. That will take a while and cost some money so weigh that when considering a watch. Conversely, if it is a stunning specimen otherwise, it may be worth the effort. They aren't making any more of them so it can be worth the effort to make them as correct as possible.
True that.
Alternatively, could the watch be sent to a reliable vintage rolex store, or to one of the sellers, to have him source matching hands?
The reason I ask is because, as you suggest, I have noticed many otherwise perfect watches with correct inserts, very thick cases, and very nice dials, but the hands are a setback.
I understand the difficulty to find a perfect vintage watch, and I don't mind some light corrosion or rust, but not an excessive amount that takes the charm of the dial.
There are people that do like it I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Another option is to have the hands removed, cleaned up and color matched. It's not ideal, of course, but I've seen some pretty nice results. If the hands are the only thing wrong with an otherwise killer watch, it may be worth thinking about.
Also knows as re-luming I believe?
Is it easily noticeable when staring at the watch, to know it was re-lumed or color matched to match the rest of the dial?
I understand you could always get a NOS or another set of hands to have this done to, and keep the original should you decide to sell.
I have seen 1 or 2 killer watches, very likely unpolished cases, with hands that I cannot seem to like. It would be nice to pick one of those, and make them perfect.
Old 1 December 2015, 12:21 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Solution to corroded/non-matching hands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post

This is a good option and less complicated than buying multiple sets of old sets of hands. On many vintage pieces - and long before the current focus on 100% original - watchmakers at Rolex would quote replacement hands when the originals looked poor.

If the lume on the dial has lost it's glow, then cleaning and painting hands to match patina is going to look fine. I wouldn't ask for watchmaker to relume them since glowing hands with a dead dial would be odd.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2015, 02:03 AM   #8
whatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
This is a good option and less complicated than buying multiple sets of old sets of hands. On many vintage pieces - and long before the current focus on 100% original - watchmakers at Rolex would quote replacement hands when the originals looked poor.

If the lume on the dial has lost it's glow, then cleaning and painting hands to match patina is going to look fine. I wouldn't ask for watchmaker to relume them since glowing hands with a dead dial would be odd.
Thanks Paul.
I believe I had understood the terms incorrectly.
So relume simply suggests to add luminosity to the dial for better reading at night.
Painting the hands to match the Patina is a different process al together.
I would be looking at just doing that alone, as I am sure the dial will no longer have any lume left, and glowing hands like you said would look odd.

How easy is it for a watch maker to paint hands to match identically though?
Would it be odd looking? If this process is done correctly, how can someone know that they are not original Patina on the hands. I am just trying to understand how noticeable it is that the hands are painted, as I haven't got any pictures of it being done.

I will not be painting the originals, rather new ones, as when or if I wanted to sell in the future, I would not have depreciated the value.
Old 1 December 2015, 02:54 AM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatches View Post
How easy is it for a watch maker to paint hands to match identically though?

Would it be odd looking?
It is fairly easy for one who specializes in refinishing vintage dials as the skills are consistent. It would only be odd if the tinted paint is poorly matched or incorrectly applied. To avoid those pitfalls, choose your expert refinisher wisely.

If you asked a general watchmaker to do it then there could be unexpected results. Ask for examples of work they've done - perhaps ask for project pictures.

Quote:
If this process is done correctly, how can someone know that they are not original Patina on the hands. I am just trying to understand how noticeable it is that the hands are painted, as I haven't got any pictures of it being done.
Almost any WIS might discern the work with a loupe. But if done correctly nobody can tell from 50" away.

Quote:
I will not be painting the originals, rather new ones, as when or if I wanted to sell in the future, I would not have depreciated the value.

Choose the new set of hands carefully to be sure they are era correct for the vintage model you have bought. You should start a separate thread once you've chosen your vintage watch and ask the experts if they know the Rolex part # for the correct handset. Over the years, Rolex changed the width of hands and other subtleties.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2015, 06:24 AM   #10
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Like Paul mentioned, a good watch maker will be able to match the hands without much issue. The texture may not match the texture of the lume plots on the dial, but unless you're looking at the watch through a loupe, it will be hard to notice.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2016, 07:58 AM   #11
jklein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 5513
I may have hands

Check these out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hour 1.jpg (44.5 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg hour 2.jpg (38.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg hours.jpg (40.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg seconds.jpg (47.4 KB, 161 views)
jklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2016, 08:15 AM   #12
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Any hour hands in your collection? I could use a (complete) set...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote